ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine's daughter and husband have to fly back home to Vegas from NJ on Tuesday. Got a flight for $22.00 on Spirit...lol

Reactions: Jm0513
Peeps stop creating fear. Showing #'s on how many will die is creating panic. How many people are getting stressed out and are going to die from heart attacks and strokes reading all this . Just heed the warnings, wash your hands and stay home. Simple

It's not simple as people are failing to heed the precautions. Your attempt at discrediting my post yesterday while I was trying to relay relevant and accurate information does not help in educating society. People need to see the numbers until they finally get the idea. It amazes me it took this to happen for some people to finally realize we should cough or sneeze so as to not infect other people, keep your surfaces clean, prevent cross contamination. And yet others still don't give a crap. They will when it hits home and then unfortunately it might be too late. The statistics are important.

Problem is, not enough people are heeding the warnings and staying home.

Exactly

Finally, NY's Governor Cuomo calling for Federal action in an editorial in the Times. Focused on testing, social distancing and ACE help for our hospital system.

Andrew Cuomo to President Trump: Mobilize the Military to Help Fight Coronavirus
The time is growing short and fewer options are available. Using federal troops to help create hospital beds is one we should try.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/15/opinion/andrew-cuomo-coronavirus-trump.html

Finally, NY's Governor Cuomo calling for Federal action in an editorial in the Times. Focused on testing, social distancing and ACE help for our hospital system.

Andrew Cuomo to President Trump: Mobilize the Military to Help Fight Coronavirus
The time is growing short and fewer options are available. Using federal troops to help create hospital beds is one we should try.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/15/opinion/andrew-cuomo-coronavirus-trump.html
Saw the tail end of his news conference and graphic on the bottom said 729 cases in NY now 3 deaths and nearly 20% hospitalized.

Thought this was interesting...we're on Day 11, 6 days from a total lockdown. Will we do better? The jury is out. Fauci was just on CNN basically saying we need a Federally let lockdown, but saying he wasn't there to make policy, meaning he knows our Administration doesn't support that, sadly. As per the link I posted on Friday, for every day one waits for total lockdown, 40% more cases will occur.

My Coronavirus timeline in Italy (by Tanya Alice).

What day are you on?

Day -1 (Feb 20 - 3 cases) - It's something happening in a far away country.

Day 2 (Feb 23 - 152 cases) - Oh wow, there are cases of this in my country. But it's just like the flu, no need to panic. Everyone is overreacting. And it's well away from my area.

Day 4 (Feb 25) - They are closing schools and canceling sporting events in other parts of my country. But it really only affects old people. I'll be fine.

Day 5 (Feb 26 - 424 cases)- Let's talk about the politics of this. Politicizing it will probably lead to solutions.

Day 6 (Feb 27) - This is really going to hurt the tourism industry. We need to all support our friends losing jobs now.

Day 7 (Feb 28) -Ok, I think I've finally figured out how to wash my hands. 20 seconds seems like a really long time. Is this necessary? Why are some people wearing face masks?

Day 8 (Feb 29 - 1,128 cases)- Just getting back from visiting all my friends, hugging, eating, drinking, traveling, everything is normal.

Day 9 (Mar 1) - A lot of gossip, I heard there was someone in my city with it. It hasn't been confirmed but I know someone who knows someone who works at a hospital.

Day 11 (Mar 3 - 2502 cases)

Day 12 (Mar 4) - All schools are closing. Should I close my school? But what about our St. Patrick's day party? What about our plans this week? I've already scheduled everything. We need to meet about the Ireland trip this summer!

Day 13 (Mar 5) - A scramble to organize distance learning. Training staff over conference calls how to work remotely. Collecting things from the office to bring home.

Day 14 (Mar 6 - 4636 cases)

Day 15 (Mar 7) - Everyone you know is worried that their cold isn't a cold. Coughing in public is frowned upon.

Day 16 (Mar 8 ) - Acceptance. This is happening. Many people are working from home. More offices are sending their workers home. More people are wearing masks and gloves in public. There are more cases reported, more fatalities, and now people closer and closer to home. This is real. We need to be part of the solution.

Day 17 (Mar 9 - 9,172 cases) - Total nationwide shutdown. #iostoacasa is trending (#ImStayingHome). You can leave your house for work, groceries or health reasons. Bars and resturants are open from 6am-6pm. No congregating on the streets. Maintain social distancing, one meter apart.

Day 19 (Mar 11) - Even more total shutdown. No more bars and resturants. All retail workers are out of work. Grocery stores and pharmacies can stay open as well as employees working on production and supply chains.

Day 20 (Mar 12 - 15,113 cases) - Cabin fever starts, but settling into remote working. More chatting and connecting with others over the phone and internet. Gosh I hope my phone doesn't break.

Day 21 (Mar 13) - Scrolling through Facebook and realizing, most of my friends in the UK, US and Australia are on day 4.

As of March 12 there over 15,000 cases and over 1000 deaths in italy. 1,258 people have "recovered" and there are still 12,839 active cases of which 1,153 are critical, requiring hospitalisation with a ventilator.

It's day 72 in China.”

Numbers - This post drives the point home better than any I have read to date. I would like to post this on my Facebook page with your permission.

On food safety from the store and takeout. With some simple precautions people should be ok. Biggest thing, as always, is keeping away from people and their sneezes, coughs, and breath. And taking a few precautions like wiping down boxes or containers that food might come in with sanitizer. The food, itself should be ok (and moreso if warm/hot, since viruses are inactivated by heat at temps above about 60-70F outside the body). Good way to keep local restaurants in business too.

https://www.theatlantic.com/…/coronavirus-how-get-f…/608008/

https://www.usatoday.com/…/coronavirus-how-best…/5046324002/

https://nypost.com/…/is-food-delivery-safe-during-the-coro…/

Reactions: redking
On food safety from the store and takeout. With some simple precautions people should be ok. Biggest thing, as always, is keeping away from people and their sneezes, coughs, and breath. And taking a few precautions like wiping down boxes or containers that food might come in with sanitizer. The food, itself should be ok (and moreso if warm/hot, since viruses are inactivated by heat at temps above about 60-70F outside the body). Good way to keep local restaurants in business too.

Try to eat hot food or heat food is something I learned from my parents from young. Stay away from things like salads/wraps when out etc..which can have stuff in it. If you can heat it hopefully can kill off whatever is there.

As far as how long it can live on surfaces I saw this morning on the news up to 24 hours on cardboard, up to 3 hours in the air, up to 4 hours on copper and up to 2-3 days on steel/plastic...but also other variables like heat/humidity can affect its half life/potency and just because you come into contact with a virus doesn't necessarily mean you'll be infected depending on other variables.

Saw on CNN from an epidemiologist that probably 90-95% of transmissions are from droplets not surfaces. 6 feet away is the distance recommended...obviously that's not always possible but that's the recommendation. Also why masks would be good if everyone could get one, keep your germs to yourself.

here is a dumb question, say someone making your food at a take out place had droplets come out and landed on your food....does a microwave kill that..just wondering how cooking food and heating food might play a role with the virus

Try to eat hot food or heat food is something I learned from my parents from young. Stay away from things like salads/wraps when out etc..which can have stuff in it. If you can heat it hopefully can kill off whatever is there.

As far as how long it can live on surfaces I saw this morning on the news up to 24 hours on cardboard, up to 3 hours in the air, up to 4 hours on copper and up to 2-3 days on steel/plastic...but also other variables like heat/humidity can affect its half life/potency and just because you come into contact with a virus doesn't necessarily mean you'll be infected depending on other variables.

Saw on CNN from an epidemiologist that probably 90-95% of transmissions are from droplets not surfaces. 6 feet away is the distance recommended...obviously that's not always possible but that's the recommendation. Also why masks would be good if everyone could get one, keep your germs to yourself.

got to be really bad on public transportation, for example, you sit down somewhere, then go home..well then you are possibly carrying that virus on your clothes and spreading it in the house

Reactions: RUevolution36
got to be really bad on public transportation, for example, you sit down somewhere, then go home..well then you are possibly carrying that virus on your clothes and spreading it in the house
I strip down in the garage and shower every time I get home.

Reactions: scripts
Clothes was also mentioned too and the epidemiologist said he would liken it to cardboard....he never says it can't be transmitted like that but likelihood of that would be lower possibility and again other variables like heat/humidity can affect half life/potency of any virus. Still probably 90-95% of transmission is likely through droplets he said.

Mind you again from my parents lol way before this stuff...any trip to dr or hospital as soon as your home wash those clothes and change into home clothes. So regardless of whether these behaviors are prudent or not they're just ingrained in me lol.

here is a dumb question, say someone making your food at a take out place had droplets come out and landed on your food....does a microwave kill that..just wondering how cooking food and heating food might play a role with the virus
Not a scientist but I think it can only help....no guarantees but think it stands a better chance of killing off bacteria/viruses if you heat food than if you don't.

Even though I'm somewhat of a germphobe isn't there a thing about even heating dish washing sponges in the microwave to help kill viruses/bacteria. I don't do that actually but wasn't there a study or something on that. IMO heating can only be helpful even if not a guarantee.

Sounds like Murphy is ready to shut down the remaining school districts tomorrow. No indication about new guidelines for state, county, and municipal employees yet.

Has anyone mentioned mail...virus can live for a while on paper/cardboard. I've been leaving mail to sit for a couple of days before handling, preferably letting it sit in the sun.

i googled that and see no evidence that is done

I have seen it done. It gets air underneath the circular mass of flattened dough which helps it slide off the pizza board and into the oven easier. The oven would then most likely kill the virus though.

Governor expects to announce on Monday all public schools will be closed until further notice. Also possibility of curfew mentioned in other articles.

From one of the articles:

Murphy said people should look to Hoboken and Teaneck, where curfews and calls by local officials to self-quarantine have been put in place, as examples of what to expect as the numbers of people who test positive for the virus rise.

“(It’s) the notion of keeping population groupings low,” Murphy said on a morning phone call to WBLS to discuss the state’s response.

“We will be looking at more draconian steps,” he added. “These are things that we have to consider.”

That includes the possibility of a statewide curfew, he said.

“The curfew is probably, of the two, is probably the more immediate one under consideration," Murphy said.

He added state officials will “inevitably” shut down all of the state’s public schools.

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020...ose-because-of-coronavirus-governor-says.html

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020...p-coronavirus-spread-likely-coming-to-nj.html

no microwave will not kill bugs. perhaps the heat generated but not by the microwave per se. microwave works by the vibrational frequency of the O-H bond. this is why it is suggested to put a glass of water (H-O-H) whenever you microwave anything.

Reactions: redking
no microwave will not kill bugs. perhaps the heat generated but not by the microwave per se. microwave works by the vibrational frequency of the O-H bond. this is why it is suggested to put a glass of water (H-O-H) whenever you microwave anything.
It's the moisture in whatever is in there be it a sponge or your food that creates the heat right?

It's the moisture in whatever is in there be it a sponge or your food that creates the heat right?

whatever substance whose molecular structure contains the O-H bond will generate heat - most common is, yes, water (moisture, etc).

Definitely on the hot food. I've been saying 95+% from person-to-person contact in many posts, based on what I've read, so that's good. The risks from surfaces/containers aren't zero, but they're much lower and can be made near zero with simple precautions (like not snorting your coke off of them, lol), like sanitizing or even just wiping them with a wet paper towel (physical displacement will occur even if not deactivation) and, of course, not touching your face after handling things, until you've washed your hands in warm soapy water!

Confirmed daycare worker in Morristown has it. All families told to self quarantine.

Last edited:
first case reported at Rutgers:

• Subject: Update on COVID-19 at Rutgers

To Members of the Rutgers Community:

I am writing today to let you know that a biomedical engineering professor at Rutgers University–New Brunswick has tested positive for COVID-19. The test results were delivered late yesterday, Saturday, March 14, 2020.

The professor was exposed at a non-Rutgers location in late February. He has been self-isolating, is currently doing well and has the full support of the University and our Occupational Health Department.

The professor had close contact with a limited number of individuals at Rutgers following his own exposure and prior to his own period of self-isolation. The individuals with whom he had close contact have been identified and notified. They’ve all been asked to self-isolate in accordance with CDC guidance and that of the New Jersey Department of Health.

The Biomedical Engineering Building on the Busch campus, in Piscataway, N.J., is being cleaned and disinfected in accordance with CDC guidelines, including focusing on frequently touched surfaces.

In a community of nearly 100,000 students, faculty and staff, it is reasonable to expect that this is only the first of several incidents of COVID-19 that will involve members of our community. I expect that each member of our university community will continue to support one another during this health crisis.

As occurrences of COVID-19 become more common throughout New Jersey it is important to recognize that we have individual and collective moral obligations to do what we can to slow the spread of COVID-19. It is imperative that we all practice social distancing, good hygiene and use common sense and good judgment. Information on personal care and best practices can be found at the Prevention and Care section of our COVID-19 website. Last week guidance was distributed with respect to working from home and flexibility on leave policies for those who must self-isolate or for other reasons.

Important information regarding the COVID-19 outbreak is available on the Rutgers COVID-19 website. You should regularly refer to the website for updates and guidance.

I want to thank everyone who has been working to respond to the presence of COVID-19 in our community and throughout New Jersey. These are understandably difficult times and have required all of us to exercise conscientious behavior and compassion toward one another.

Sincerely,

Antonio Calcado

Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer

Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey

Find it interesting how atheists like #s react to this crisis as opposed to a believer, quaranting himself, etc. I see this life as something I’m just passing through so I’ll take precautions but live my life.

Has anyone seen a timeline of symptoms and how/when they develop? Does the fever come first or last? Curious what to look out for.

Also interesting that there haven't been many interviews with survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT