ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw some interesting info from the CDC that upon further review there have likely been deaths due to covid in the US dating back to January that were classified as something else at the time. While that’s obviously not good, I have to wonder why there would be an explosion of cases now if it’s already been here 2 months. Also brings into question what exactly is going on in italy if this is the case. It’s almost as if there are multiple strains going around with different levels of infectiousness.

There have been reports of multiple variants. Thos have been treated as speculation

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...are-there-two-strains-and-is-one-more-deadly/

There has also been speculation Iran and Italy are dealing with something more serious. People blame Italy's crisis on older patients but Iran is a young population by comparison. Italian doctors say there are getting younger patients now and the elderly were just the first ones to get sick.

Photos of Iran graves show their official death numbers are ridiculous

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-burial-pits-iran-grown-so-fast-see-from-space-2020-3

Are there any line graphs that show daily spread of coronavirus of America vs China and Italy? Would be interesting to compare the countries from the point each one had their first case onward.

Are there any line graphs that show daily spread of coronavirus of America vs China and Italy? Would be interesting to compare the countries from the point each one had their first case onward.
Dude, like a handful a few posts back

There have been reports of multiple variants. Thos have been treated as speculation

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...are-there-two-strains-and-is-one-more-deadly/

There has also been speculation Iran and Italy are dealing with something more serious. People blame Italy's crisis on older patients but Iran is a young population by comparison. Italian doctors say there are getting younger patients now and the elderly were just the first ones to get sick.

Photos of Iran graves show their official death numbers are ridiculous

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-burial-pits-iran-grown-so-fast-see-from-space-2020-3
Has there ever been research on how/why viruses might hit countries differently?

Dropped something at the post office yesterday, it was open, but the parking lot was completely empty.

Belle Mead post office open today. Shutting down the PO would be catastrophic. I don't care about the DMV. lol

RU848789
You may find this JAMA article regarding
The vicissitudes of testing and what happened
Thanks.. found this very interesting.. had not even thought of the FDA's possible involvement in deciding what tests were allowed due to federal regulations.

Regulation of Laboratory-Developed Tests in an Emergency

Testing for SARS-CoV-2 highlights a controversial area of public policy—the regulation of laboratory-developed tests in which there has long been tension between the goals of access and quality. Outside of emergency contexts, FDA largely does not regulate laboratory-developed tests, leaving major gaps in oversight of test accuracy and validity. (The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services regulates the quality of laboratory operations and certain aspects of the analytical validity of laboratory-developed tests.)

In 2014, during the Obama administration, FDA proposed but did not finalize draft guidance that would have required laboratories to submit evidence to theagency for certain high-risk tests. The Trump administration did not proceed with this effort, and in recent years, the debate over regulation of laboratory-developed tests has shifted to Congress, most recently in draft legislation called the Verifying Accurate, Leading-edge IVCT Development (VALID) Act.

During declared emergencies, the regulatory terrain for laboratory-developed tests is different. In such circumstances, under the Project Bioshield Act of 2004, FDA has broad discretion about which laboratory tests can be used for the response. For the novel coronavirus, FDA chose to limit the initial approval to the CDC test for the purpose of ensuring accurate surveillance testing by state and local public health laboratories.

The failure of this test, however, put into sharp relief the risks of this strategy: inadequate capacity to conduct surveillance, as well as a challenge to scale up quickly should the test be needed broadly for clinical care. Evidence suggests that containment of COVID-19 may depend on early case detection and contact tracing. It is notable that an administration that chose not to proceed with greater oversight of laboratory-developed tests absent an emergency also chose to restrict testing substantially in the case of coronavirus, even after professional societies expressed concerns in 2016 about access to testing in an emergency.

While the latest FDA action to permit some testing prior to review is understandable under the difficult circumstances, this policy has introduced its own risks. It will be critical for FDA to identify and quickly address any testing errors by laboratories and review EUA applications quickly. The agency should also reassess the new approach as testing becomes more available and transparently review its experience to develop future policy for public health emergencies.​

https://peterattiamd.com/peterhotez/
This guy is not a lackey. If you want to hear directly from an expert and not filtered through media sources or non-experts, this is a good listen.
Regularly listen to Peter Attia, MD on regular medical issues pertaining to longevity.
His guest on this podcast is
Peter Jay Hotez, M.D., Ph.D.

https://www.bcm.edu/people/view/peter-hotez-m-d-ph-d/b1846a47-ffed-11e2-be68-080027880ca6
Education

M.D. from Weill Cornell Medical College
05/1987 - New York, NY, United States
Ph.D. from The Rockefeller University
05/1986 - New York, NY, United States
B.A. (magna cum laude) from Yale University
05/1980 - New Haven, Connecticut, United States
-------------------

Notes:
Good reason to be very concerned. This virus is only fatal for certain groups. Kids and adolescents get the infection and transmit, but do not get very sick. A lot of virus circulating. Only those over age 70, having diabetes, hypertension, heart disease and health care workers are getting higher level of serious disease. A lot of medical mysteries about this disease. First responders also getting sick at a high rate. (Oh crap).

Could be in a situation where we don't have enough health care workers and first responders. Can be highly destabilizing.

We allowed virus to circulate, and we are behind in testing. Serious consequences for being behind. In US, transmission likely began in middle of February (prob. Feb. 20). Transmission has gone on undetected. Could have hospitals inundated with large numbers of sick people.

Social distancing is extremely important.

Whose fault is this--NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO BE ASSIGNING FAULT!!!!

Reactions: redking
More notes:
A vaccine is not something we are going to have in the next 12 months. There are technical challenges. Not like vaccinating against influenza. There are opportunities to streamline development and to do things in parallel. Not sure this vaccine should be developed that way. Corona vaccines have shown a tendency to make things worse, so we have to be careful.

More notes:
Chinese were very transparent about sharing data. SARS-2 similar to SARS-1 coronavirus. Looking to do clinical trials to re-purpose existing vaccine, but have not been able to obtain funding.

Receptor in lungs, endothelial cells, GI tract and other parts of body. Patients who are very ill with this are getting acute myocardial injury--likely a major mode of death for many patients. Still in deep learning curve about the virus.

Median and half-life survival on many surfaces-- 72 hours plastic. 48 hours cardboard. 24 hours on steel. 8-24 hours on copper.

Virus is highly transmissible. 2.24-3.58 people infected per single infected individual, but varies on location. Seasonal flu is 1.2 to 1.3. There are people who are not sick who are spreading the virus. Fatality rate is 0.4 and 3.6%. In elderly populations, death rate 10-20%

Thanks Knight. I appreciate the update and will hold back my retort toward people who tried to dispute what I have been trying to relay on other posts. I hope the information from Dr. Hotez strikes a cord with those still not impressed by the ability of Covid-19 to be transmitted, the strength it possesses once within its host, and the potential number of carriers/infected here and around the world.

Reactions: Knight Shift
More notes:
Nursing homes need to carefully screen people going into nursing homes.

Areas of US to be most concerned about:
All bets are off. Any urban area is vulnerable.
Bottlenecks in healthcare--hospitals operate in slim margins--not a lot of excess capacity. Big unknowns.
Smart to shut down sporting events, etc. to protect most vulnerable. Maybe there is seasonality--but we have no evidence of that (first SARs was not like that--can't count on it).

Older individuals - tough decision for people in nursing facilities- can grandkids visit? Dr. Hotez advises- he is outside limits of his comfort zone--would like to see a task force created to address this and other issues, including experts in mental health of older people.

What will Dr. Hotez be paying closest attention to? Are we heading toward Italy path or toward Singapore path? Not enough data to draw any conclusions at this time. [STRAIGHT FROM AN EXPERT ON THE SUBJECT WITH NO HYSTERIA]. Will be looking at new data. Will follow vaccine trials in Seattle area.

He poked fun at all of the networks and feeling forced to say something or nothing nice about the President (stupid media). New pathogens in general set you up to look stupid.

White House should be out there every day giving updates. Dr. Hotez is all for countering the anti-science people.

I did my best to take unfiltered notes from the podcast, and obviously did not catch everything said. Highly informative listen, and well worth the time. Much better than watching any of the stupid new networks--and that includes ALL OF THEM.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Thank you. Enough experts have said that this is potentially very serious that it seems foolish to argue.

Let's all hope they are wrong anyway.

Last edited:
Spain now on the route to Italy after their tepid response to the outbreak. This will happen here if we don't start doing even more social distancing.

MADRID — Just last weekend, about 120,000 people marched through downtown Madrid to celebrate International Women’s Day. Some 60,000 soccer fans filled one of the city’s largest stadiums. And 9,000 supporters of Vox, Spain’s third-largest party, gathered inside a former bullring.

Now Spain has the second-highest number of coronavirus infections of any European country, after Italy — overtaking the larger nations of France and Germany — and faces the fastest spreading contagion on the Continent.

Between last weekend and Friday, the number of cases in the country shot from several hundred to 4,200, with 120 deaths, and the prime minister warned that the number of cases could reach 10,000 by next week. That would give Spain one of the fastest rates of coronavirus contagion in the world.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/...QATTs6GdPVnSo76kk525ZWQ9byk2Dg9MWceaap-XrKq4c

Reactions: rurichdog
Spain now on the route to Italy after their tepid response to the outbreak. This will happen here if we don't start doing even more social distancing.

MADRID — Just last weekend, about 120,000 people marched through downtown Madrid to celebrate International Women’s Day. Some 60,000 soccer fans filled one of the city’s largest stadiums. And 9,000 supporters of Vox, Spain’s third-largest party, gathered inside a former bullring.

Now Spain has the second-highest number of coronavirus infections of any European country, after Italy — overtaking the larger nations of France and Germany — and faces the fastest spreading contagion on the Continent.

Between last weekend and Friday, the number of cases in the country shot from several hundred to 4,200, with 120 deaths, and the prime minister warned that the number of cases could reach 10,000 by next week. That would give Spain one of the fastest rates of coronavirus contagion in the world.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/...QATTs6GdPVnSo76kk525ZWQ9byk2Dg9MWceaap-XrKq4c

The problem with exponential growth is, you pretty quickly start dealing with large numbers.

Reactions: RU848789
Notes:
Good reason to be very concerned. This virus is only fatal for certain groups. Kids and adolescents get the infection and transmit, but do not get very sick. A lot of virus circulating. Only those over age 70, having diabetes, hypertension, heart disease and health care workers are getting higher level of serious disease. A lot of medical mysteries about this disease. First responders also getting sick at a high rate. (Oh crap).

Could be in a situation where we don't have enough health care workers and first responders. Can be highly destabilizing.

We allowed virus to circulate, and we are behind in testing. Serious consequences for being behind. In US, transmission likely began in middle of February (prob. Feb. 20). Transmission has gone on undetected. Could have hospitals inundated with large numbers of sick people.

Social distancing is extremely important.

Whose fault is this--NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO BE ASSIGNING FAULT!!!!

Just saw a report on twitter about a 16 year old with no other health conditions, in the ICU because of coronavirus (Netherlands). Also, claims (unverified) that 50% of the ICU patients in France are under the age of 60. No further details about breakdown but this is in line with other reports I've seen about younger patients now showing up critically ill in Italy.

Been thinking more about surgical masks and I know many are saying not to wear them from a prevention of catching perspective since they're so misused (I've said that a few times too). Fair enough. However, it's well established that surgical masks greatly reduce the likelihood of infected people transmitting the virus to those they come in close contact with (by sneeze/cough/breath), i.e., friends, strangers, bartenders, clerks, whatever, which is why doctors wear them in surgery, an ER or anywhere patients are immunocompromised.

So given the significant risk of infected/asymptomatic or infected/mildly symptomatic people infecting others (which has been well established with this virus) maybe part of the answer is to simply assume everyone is infected and require them to wear surgical masks when out in public, which we've seen in most of Asia. And having them wash their hands frequently too (especially if they like to shake hands) since surface driven infection, while a minor vector of transmission, is not zero.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/03/study-highlights-ease-spread-covid-19-viruses

Interesting article below about many experts thinking that masks for the "healthy" (who could be infected and not know it) have been a key reason that Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, Japan and other Asian countries have done much better than the rest of the world in containing the virus (and even China/South Korea have done better after the initial surges there and they were the masks), while many in the West/US have not supported masks for "healthy" people and that there's even a stigma of wearing a mask in the US. I think the US is on the wrong side of this one.

https://time.com/5799964/coronavirus-face-mask-asia-us/

Been thinking more about surgical masks and I know many are saying not to wear them from a prevention of catching perspective since they're so misused (I've said that a few times too). Fair enough. However, it's well established that surgical masks greatly reduce the likelihood of infected people transmitting the virus to those they come in close contact with (by sneeze/cough/breath), i.e., friends, strangers, bartenders, clerks, whatever, which is why doctors wear them in surgery, an ER or anywhere patients are immunocompromised.

So given the significant risk of infected/asymptomatic or infected/mildly symptomatic people infecting others (which has been well established with this virus) maybe part of the answer is to simply assume everyone is infected and require them to wear surgical masks when out in public, which we've seen in most of Asia. And having them wash their hands frequently too (especially if they like to shake hands) since surface driven infection, while a minor vector of transmission, is not zero.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/03/study-highlights-ease-spread-covid-19-viruses

Interesting article below about many experts thinking that masks for the "healthy" (who could be infected and not know it) have been a key reason that Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, Japan and other Asian countries have done much better than the rest of the world in containing the virus (and even China/South Korea have done better after the initial surges there and they were the masks), while many in the West/US have not supported masks for "healthy" people and that there's even a stigma of wearing a mask in the US. I think the US is on the wrong side of this one.

https://time.com/5799964/coronavirus-face-mask-asia-us/
The surgical mask idea is great but where are people going to get them? I suppose one could just wrap some gauze or an old tshirt or something across their face and get essentially the same result, since surgical masks aren't really all that great at blocking viruses. But they do catch/block droplets. So would an old tshirt.

The surgical mask idea is great but where are people going to get them? I suppose one could just wrap some gauze or an old tshirt or something across their face and get essentially the same result, since surgical masks aren't really all that great at blocking viruses. But they do catch/block droplets. So would an old tshirt.

If the idea works, I would think we (or China) could make it happen very quickly. In a perfect world the masks would hold back all droplets containing virus particles and one wouldn't even really need social distancing, but the reality is some won't use them properly. One would also likely only need to change them after coughing or sneezing when out and about. An old t-shirt would probably work, lol...

I work at Merck's R & D dept (building 34 in Rahway).
Cool. I spent 10 years in 801 in the chem eng'g labs, 8 years in 814, as head of the SSO chemical pilot plant, and then 12+ years in 818, as head of our process safety/environmental group and then head of projects under development. A whole career in one dept, which doesn't happen much these days. What do you do in 34 - clinical work?

Reactions: Ronnie_B
Cool. I spent 10 years in 801 in the chem eng'g labs, 8 years in 814, as head of the SSO chemical pilot plant, and then 12+ years in 818, as head of our process safety/environmental group and then head of projects under development. A whole career in one dept, which doesn't happen much these days. What do you do in 34 - clinical work?
Nah, I'm IT and video conferencing, will be there 7 years this May. I did get added on to the ODEC team for the Keytruda Bladder hearing at the FDA last December which was pretty intense and quite the experience.

How long have you been retired? 818 I believe is still standing but not sure about 801 and 814, if its been a few years since you left you might not recognize that end of the campus.

Edit: all three buildings still standing

Last edited:
If the idea works, I would think we (or China) could make it happen very quickly. In a perfect world the masks would hold back all droplets containing virus particles and one wouldn't even really need social distancing, but the reality is some won't use them properly. One would also likely only need to change them after coughing or sneezing when out and about. An old t-shirt would probably work, lol...
Masks and reasonable social distancing are two of the attributed reasons for limited cases in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore.

Knight Shift's post on Levitt's work was deleted, as was my reply, but both were relevant info, so I'm going to post the basics of it here. His general premise is that the coronavirus will likely not exceed a 20% infection rate assuming little interventions are taken (as was seen on the Diamond Princess, that floating viral laboratory), since he thinks many people simply won't get it, due possibly to natural immunity (we all don't get every viral infection).

https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/articles/0,7340,L-3800632,00.html

That would be great and far less than the doomsday scenarios we've seen other experts propose (and as Germany's Merkel was predicting), where 50-70% of the world would be infected without interventions. and if true would at least take the Armageddon scenarios off the table (those who predict 50-70% infection rates would translate to 1-2MM deaths in the US at 1% mortality rate), but would still make it possible that we'd see something far worse than the flu, if we took little action.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/487489-worst-case-coronavirus-models-show-massive-us-toll

However, he did acknowledge that the situations in Italy, Europe and the US are of great concern (especially the US), at least in the short term, as per below.

The explosion of cases in Italy is worrying, Levitt said, but he estimates it is a result of a higher percentage of elderly people than in China, France, or Spain. “Furthermore, Italian culture is very warm, and Italians have a very rich social life. For these reasons, it is important to keep people apart and prevent sick people from coming into contact with healthy people.”

China did great work and managed to gain complete control of the virus, Levitt said. “Currently, I am most worried about the U.S. It must isolate as many people as possible to buy time for preparations. Otherwise, it can end up in a situation where 20,000 infected people will descend on the nearest hospital at the same time and the healthcare system will collapse.”

In thinking further about this, 20% of the US population is 60 million and if even only 1% died (and I've been saying the true rate is likely 0.5-1.0%, not the 2-5% we're seeing with incomplete data), that would be 600,000, which is the worst case number I've been saying for days (the flu kills 30-60K per year roughly and has a mortality rate of only 0.1% or 1/10th that of the coronavirus). I don't think anyone wants that outcome either and again the only way to prevent it, is aggressive testing and social distancing (much more than we've implemented so far).

It is interesting that even in the worst hit location so far, Wuhan, they've only seen 1% infection rates (maybe 100,000 out of 10MM) , due to the aggressive containment (tracking all infected people and quarantining them and contacts) and mitigation (social distancing, hand-washing, wearing masks, etc.) strategies used, so I'm hopeful we can keep it to that, even if we are late in responding like they were. Although there are lots of doubts that Wuhan only had 60-70K infections and all of China has only had the 80K reported, but even if the Wuhan number were 200K, that's only 2% of that city's population.

So, let's for argument say that even in the worst actual cases, like Wuhan or Italy, with a breakdown of the healthcare systems, followed by draconian lockdown, that with that kind of response we might only see 2% total infection rate, not 20%, due to the aggressive lockdown measures. That's 10% of the 20% rate cap and would bring the ultimate outcome of the COVID-19 outbreaks down to total mortalities and hospitalizations close to influenza levels. 2% of the US population is 6 million and if the mortality rate were 1% of those, that's 60K in a year, which is similar to the 30-60K deaths we see in a typical flu year.

The problem with the above is we don't know yet that we're likely going to see 2% total infections in a Wuhan/Italy scenario with eventual lockdowns, as we can't trust the Wuhan data and we're not there yet in Italy, plus we do know that in both cases the peak rates were well above what the area's health care systems could handle. In addition, we can't even be sure we'd see the 20% overall infection rate cap that Levitt is postulating if we did essentially nothing, so we have to act in the face of huge uncertainties, which is difficult for whole countries to do. Interesting stuff...

Nah, I'm IT and video conferencing, will be there 7 years this May. I did get added on to the ODEC team for the Keytruda Bladder hearing at the FDA last December which was pretty intense and quite the experience.

How long have you been retired? 818 I believe is still standing but not sure about 801 and 814, if its been a few years since you left you might not recognize that end of the campus.

Edit: all three buildings still standing
I worked with a few IT folks, as I've given lots of large presentations in 80K and elsewhere, so it's possible we know each other. I actually just retired in December and 818, 801 and 814 are all there and full of busy chemical engineers and chemists. Plus, they just rehired me at 8 hrs/wk consulting on a bunch of "special topics" since I took a lot of experience knowledge with me, so I still get to see the changes going on...

Reactions: Ronnie_B
Are US citizens going to cooperate with a full-scale lockdown if it becomes necessary? Will US authorities be able to supply 8 million NYC residents with food? Will we be able to bring in hundreds or thousands of doctors from other parts of the country like China did? China had a well defined epicenter of the outbreak and relatively little impact (if their numbers are to be believed) outside of that area. Here in the US, it seems that we already have multiple epicenters (NYC and Seattle in particular) or perhaps a nationwide epidemic that we really don't see yet due to testing deficiencies, because we were seeded gradually in multiple locations.

I really have no idea what to expect at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT