ADVERTISEMENT

Did Rutgers fans root for nova in 1985 ?

Crimedog2

Junior
Dec 19, 2010
A little before my time , and I know we weren't in the same league as Villanova and Georgetown yet . Seemed like Georgetown was a love or hate kinda team. I imagine lots of people were pulling for Villanova to pull that perfect upset .

I did because one of their players, Harold Jensen, was from my area. They were such underdogs as well, which made it easy to pull for them.

Nova. I was at a buddies house watching the final. Their house was rocking. Of 4 siblings, 2 kids at RPI who won the Frozen 4 that weekend and 2 at Nova. 4 NC's in that house in the same day.I can only dream.

When Ali fought Frasier white guys were all in for Joe as if he was one of theirs. Same with this game. V started 4 black guys but G'town was John Thompson and us against them so white guys were all over Nova..
Me? I just enjoyed the event.

I rooted for Georgetown. Thompson was no saint, but Rollie was the biggest sleaze bag out there.

That game was the hoops equivalent of Ali's rope a dope against Foreman. I have now referenced Ali twice in this thread. And I am damned glad to do it.

I recall I was rooting for a tie so neither team would win.
Villanova along with RU were original members of the Eastern Eight (later becoming the A-10). When they left the league after 4 years to join the Big East some of us felt they were harming the league we had formed which also had the potential to be the nucleus for an all-sports league

Nova. Sister and Brother-in-law both alums -- they got married that year.

Incredible game, and not a fan of Thompson at that time.

Not only was rooting for Nova but actually thought they could pull it off as played them so often and remember year earlier? John Pinone gave them fits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT