ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Doucoure enters the portal

He seems like a good guy and a great team guy. As he is graduating, I was hoping for his sake that he would transfer down to mid to low major D1 program where he will have an opportunity to play more during his remaining eligibility, work on a graduate degree, and maybe get a shot to play overseas somewhere afterwards.

He got a raw deal at Rutgers. He enrolled early even though the coaches had to know he wasn’t ready physically and basketball wise to play right away. He was forced into starting his freshman year and didn’t have a chance to develop. He had physical injuries during his career and when he was ready to play he didn’t fit into the rotation. He never complained. He was always cheering his teammates on. He deserves a fresh start somewhere.

This team needs to recruit some chefs pronto. Losing Douc and Myles, who will compete in the cookoffs?

If I'm transferring down a level like Douc likely is... would be nice to just choose somewhere scenic. Pepperdine, UCSB, USD, UNO, NAU, wherever looks like a fun place to be

Best of Luck, Douc! Hope you find a place where you can get more playing time and a graduate degree.

He got a raw deal at Rutgers. He enrolled early even though the coaches had to know he wasn’t ready physically and basketball wise to play right away. He was forced into starting his freshman year and didn’t have a chance to develop. He had physical injuries during his career and when he was ready to play he didn’t fit into the rotation. He never complained. He was always cheering his teammates on. He deserves a fresh start somewhere.
They also conveniently "medically" redshirted him his sophomore year so he got another year back. By all accounts he was good solider and a great teammate and stuck around for 4 years even though he went from starter to barely getting any minutes at all. Glad he's leaving with his Rutgers degree and hope he finds a good spot where he has a chance to make an impact.

Raw deal? He is play right away. He average 13 minutes per game as a freshman. He got recruited over. Quite normal in college basketball.

Raw deal? He is play right away. He average 13 minutes per game as a freshman. He got recruited over. Quite normal in college basketball.

agree. “Raw deal”????

To get a “raw deal” you had to get screwed over in someway/ not given the opportunity to show what you can do.

none of that appeared to have happened here with him.

good luck to the kid

agree. “Raw deal”????

To get a “raw deal” you had to get screwed over in someway/ not given the opportunity to show what you can do.

none of that appeared to have happened here with him.

good luck to the kid

you’re not wrong. But I think the post was that he could have felt he got a raw deal and not been such a great teammate. Would be all too easy, but he didn’t do that. He seems like an A+ guy

Reactions: RUChoppin
I was excited about his potential given what he showed his freshman year. Big men take longer to develop. Showed a nice mid range jumper. But injuries held him back and he didn't really improve much. No way was he coming back to Rutgers next year. That was not an option. The portal lets him see what schools may be interested. Definitely will be transferring to a lower division school. Hope it works out well for him.

Douc was a great teammate here. Always thought he bulked up too much and seemed to slow him down and he lost any explosion he had. Might have been a result of injuries.

Reactions: RU677381
The issue is that although he played every day, it was not because he was ready to play but because the coaching staff had no other options. They had to know that he wasn’t yet capable. He missed a year of high school and a year to bulk up and learn because he was the only body available. He was, for want of another word, expendable.

Former Pike Assistant Jay Young at Fairfield should reach out to Duke. He can be very successful in the MAAC.

Why recruit when you have the transfer portal?
Let's face it. the talent on the TP is going to be a lot better than any recruits you can get.
I say let the player pick five to ten teams and then have some kind of a draft.
There has to be some kind of a system here.

I think Doucoure could have a lot of success at a lower level where he doesn't need to contend with the speed and size of the B1G.

He's got a degree from Rutgers, four years of S&C and skill development under Pike, and two years to play and get a graduate degree paid for. I'd think he could step in as a starting center at a lot of lower tier programs and play 25-30 minutes.

I'm very curious if Jay Young gives him a look at Fairfield. They have two underclassmen at 6-9/6-10, but they weigh in at 190/200lbs.... Doucoure at 250 would be 35 pounds more beef than anyone else in their lineup.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT