ADVERTISEMENT

Fran Brown on wish list

The one thing I question is whether a Safeties Coach isn't a step down from Defensive Backs Coach. Of course if the payday is big enough....

Is this retaliation for not advising James Franklin on his prospects with hiring Kirk Ciarrocca? More evidence that the Big Ten is a big boy conference. Don’t expect any professional courtesies. An Al Davis “Just Win” conference.

Are you people seriously afraid of a clown that writes on a site called black shoes diary?? I'm sure he is really tied into reL info 🙄
Its bad enough some of the crap you seek out to read but you actually believe.
Hence my comment!
PjHHHgp.gif

You would think the Big Ten bylaws wouldn't allow member schools to poach coaches from other member schools.
What it's all about the money $$$$ and opportunity. Free market, I will flip burgers at Mickey D but if BK offer more money and opportunity I am gone😂😂😂😂

With success this will come. Rutgers has the means to keep him and should, no matter what.

So they hired someone not even listed in the article but the OP was staining his shorts in creating this thread.

Just goes to show fans on message boards and many in the media have no idea what the Coaches Hiring Boards looks like and that's all that matters.
Due to the quick hire of Poindexter, it's obvious he was high up on Franklin's board and not a second or third choice.

Yeah, I don't put a lot of stock in the ramblings of message board posters.

I didn't need some Nit Twit to tell me Fran Brown is an valuable commodity.

Yes, I hope Schiano is not spending any more time checking the boards for coaching roster advice than he is for tips on FB talent or play calling.

I'd really like to think that the powers that be have things well in hand with our program. But I've been a Rutgers sports fan too long and know better. I've got the skid marked shorts to prove it.

Just goes to show fans on message boards and many in the media have no idea what the Coaches Hiring Boards looks like and that's all that matters.
Due to the quick hire of Poindexter, it's obvious he was high up on Franklin's board and not a second or third choice.
Exactly they just throw crap against the wall and hope something sticks.

You would think the Big Ten bylaws wouldn't allow member schools to poach coaches from other member schools.
Would have saved us the Ash error. But this is America. And that’s collusion.

Would have saved us the Ash error. But this is America. And that’s collusion.
People always scream about they how the have to limit certain things but they simply can’t legally do that. For example coaches salaries. Most don’t remember but the NCAA use to have restricted earning coaches. In 1991 the NCAA created restricted earnings coaches. It was one coach that had a salary limit of $16,000. The purpose was to control costs but also create a position for entry level coaches. Eventually a group of coaches sued and won as it violated anti trust laws.

People always scream about they how the have to limit certain things but they simply can’t legally do that. For example coaches salaries. Most don’t remember but the NCAA use to have restricted earning coaches. In 1991 the NCAA created restricted earnings coaches. It was one coach that had a salary limit of $16,000. The purpose was to control costs but also create a position for entry level coaches. Eventually a group of coaches sued and won as it violated anti trust laws.

Of course. Anyone advocating for limiting someone's ability to earn and promote themselves is unAmerican.

I feel pretty good that we have the money and momentum to prevent any lateral moves even to the top programs.

Reactions: TM94goRU
given the god awful state of that program at the moment, maybe 1 year
I have heard that he didn't leave on the friendliest terms, but I am not buying that it would prevent Temple from pursuing him once they decide to move on Carey. I don't think they can wait two years to be honest, Carey is in the process of taking them down the worm hole for the second time in their relatively recent history and I don't know if they will have a program left unless they make a move after the 2021 season. Temple doesn't have a lot of money to buy out a coach and Carey will have 3 more years on his contract after 2021, but it very well might come down to a choice of the continuation of the program or dropping football if Carey is allowed to finish his contract.

Reactions: anon_yoo6z3typpaw2
I have heard that he didn't leave on the friendliest terms, but I am not buying that it would prevent Temple from pursuing him once they decide to move on Carey. I don't think they can wait two years to be honest, Carey is in the process of taking them down the worm hole for the second time in their relatively recent history and I don't know if they will have a program left unless they make a move after the 2021 season. Temple doesn't have a lot of money to buy out a coach and Carey will have 3 more years on his contract after 2021, but it very well might come down to a choice of the continuation of the program or dropping football if Carey is allowed to finish his contract.
A couple things on this: I guess the idea that Temple football is spiraling comes from the fact that a number of veterans transferred out after this season, combined with the poor record. And from a distance, it does look bad, but you have to realize that they were playing most games with 37 or 38 guys this season due to COVID protocols or infections, and very often, it was without experienced starters. On the bright side, a lot of true freshmen got plenty of reps and you could see how they were improving, individually, on the field. In at least four games, the staff appealed for postponements, but the AAC would not permit it. You saw many Power 5 programs go on pause with far more players available than 38, so Temple wound up taking their lumps. I think it'll pay off in a year or two.

Most of the guys who transferred were ones who had been through three or even four head coaches since committing to the Owls. When you see that, especially once you have a degree in hand, it's easier to move on. Carey is also quite a bit different, stylistically, than Geoff Collins was, who was also different (though less so) from Matt Rhule, so when these vets had the option to go somewhere else, it's actually understandable. But Carey's guys are very much his - and his recruiting has actually been quite good, and the transfer portal has been just about as good to him as it hurt. Temple is stronger now at running back and will begin the season with a talent upgrade at QB (Dwan Mathis, who was starting and playing well in the opener at Georgia before taking a brutal head shot, certainly excites me more than Russo, who topped out a couple years ago - he's a physical talent, but makes terrible decisions). I hated to lose Arnold Ebeketie to Penn State (of all places), but the only two linemen whose departures hurt for the future were Khris Banks (who nearly went to BC out of high school) and David Ngwaougwaou (I know I butchered that one!), who showed promise. Yeah, I would've rather Maijeh stayed, but only if he was 2019 Maijeh, because he was a total blank last season (and again, admittedly, things were messed up). But again, the portal was very kind in offering strong replacements, so I think it's going to be just fine.

Fran is an interesting guy. I don't think you have to worry about him leaving for a head-coaching job anytime soon. The consensus is that he's nowhere near ready (see the hesitation to even make him a coordinator in anything but name only). He's a straight-up recruiter, and a damn good one, and he will always bring that kind of value to a new program, especially since he's always recruiting for his next job as much as his current one. But he's got a lot of growing up to do before he can seriously entertain thoughts of running a program. Did he leave Temple with some bad feelings? Some, but nothing that couldn't be overcome (especially with Pat Kraft since departed fro BC). I think people understood it, though, especially since he came to work with Manny Diaz, not Carey. But he certainly hasn't done anything to burnish his reputation since leaving, which would be a potential roadblock to coming back as head coach, even if everyone thought it was time.

If the transfers gel at Temple, I think they will be better, especially on offense. Not a good look, but too early to tell if Rod Carey goes the way of "our old buddy" LOL 😆 Chris Ash.

Reactions: anon_yoo6z3typpaw2
Are you people seriously afraid of a clown that writes on a site called black shoes diary?? I'm sure he is really tied into reL info 🙄
Its bad enough some of the crap you seek out to read but you actually believe.

You gotta believe: after all it was signed "Q".

MO

ITemple doesn't have a lot of money to buy out a coach and Carey will have 3 more years on his contract after 2021.
2 more years after 2021, not three. He was 8-5 in 2019, 1-6 in 2020, x-x in 2021. Signed 5-year contract $2 million per year. Buyout would be $6 million now, $4 million at end of season. Temple got $10 million from Miami (Diaz) and GT (Collins). It's got the money.

Reactions: Wolv RU
2 more years after 2021, not three. He was 8-5 in 2019, 1-6 in 2020, x-x in 2021. Signed 5-year contract $2 million per year. Buyout would be $6 million now, $4 million at end of season. Temple got $10 million from Miami (Diaz) and GT (Collins). It's got the money.
Yup, and Carey cost less than both Diaz and Collins did, so it's not like theyre strapped for cash b/c of Carey. Even more reason to get our guys locked down

Reactions: TM94goRU
Gee wiz, if you are going to call me out for getting the length of a contract wrong you should really check your facts, otherwise you come off as a bit of an ahole.

"Temple University introduced former Northern Illinois University coach Rod Carey as the new leader of its football program on Friday afternoon at the Liacouras Center.

Carey and the university agreed to a six-year deal at about $2 million per year with a buyout of $10 million in the first two years, Athletics Committee chair J. William Mills III told The Temple News."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT