ADVERTISEMENT

Friend opined that RU was fortunate

There is some misinformation by some posters here regarding UConn.
Rutgers is a great research university, but UConn is catching up. The state legislature here is very generous to UConn, and they are building all kinds of research facilities in Storrs. As far as academic reputation is concerned, on the undergraduate level, UConn has been ranked above Rutgers by the USNews rankings for several years now. Don't sleep on UConn. They will eventually be in the ACC or the Big Ten.

UConn will never be in the Big 10. The school just doesn’t fit the academic (no AAU) regional (no contiguous state) and athletic profile (small, off campus stadium with no fan support). It could be a good fit for the ACC (strong hoops tradition), but it would need to show how it could add value and add revenue to the conference. At this moment in time, I don’t see how it can do that.

Just some fact checking about UConn’s generous state funding - that is actually not the case:

https://today.uconn.edu/2017/10/message-president-herbst-budget/

Don’t sleep on Uconn? Have you seen home attendance for the Huskies recently? Near the bottom of the AAC, just ahead of Tulane. And the hs field they call home will not play in a P5 conference.

Academically they are strong but so are many P5 schools and others. Don’t see why the academic side of Uconn stands out in a crowd.

Not sure if having Randy Edsall back as HC is a good move or not. Half the former season ticket holders at Uconn have bailed, either having to do with the AAC or lack of faith in the coaching staff.

Reactions: bigmatt718
We're we ever considered for the ACC? Or did we tell them we' re holding out for a B1G invite ?

As far as I know, ACC's focus was on getting schools that had elite MBB (most important) and good football. The Football schools like FSU did complain that the focus was once again too much on MBB. L'Ville gave them an elite MBB program and really good football and they did the deal with UND so that made them happy.

Rutgers was only mention as an example as what they didn't want. So no we were never in the mix with the ACC. AFAIK

The only Power 5 conferences that I am aware that shown as interest was the Big Ten (holy grail for Rutgers) and the Big 12, who wanted to bring us in along with Pitt as a package. That died as soon as Pitt joined the ACC. West Virginia kind of got left out to dry on that deal. But, UWV really wanted into the SEC, but when it was clear that the SEC didn't want them, and no one else did as well, besides the Big 12, they didn't really have a choice it was Big 12 or AAC. Kind of a no brainer.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Don’t sleep on Uconn? Have you seen home attendance for the Huskies recently? Near the bottom of the AAC, just ahead of Tulane. And the hs field they call home will not play in a P5 conference.

Academically they are strong but so are many P5 schools and others. Don’t see why the academic side of Uconn stands out in a crowd.

Not sure if having Randy Edsall back as HC is a good move or not. Half the former season ticket holders at Uconn have bailed, either having to do with the AAC or lack of faith in the coaching staff.

When Michigan signed a home and home with Uconn they had no idea just how bad and small their off campus stadium was. Michigan try hard to get out of the deal. I think they are still having nightmares about that... no way Uconn ever gets in the Big Ten.

There is some misinformation by some posters here regarding UConn.
Rutgers is a great research university, but UConn is catching up. The state legislature here is very generous to UConn, and they are building all kinds of research facilities in Storrs. As far as academic reputation is concerned, on the undergraduate level, UConn has been ranked above Rutgers by the USNews rankings for several years now. Don't sleep on UConn. They will eventually be in the ACC or the Big Ten.

The USNews rankings are complete crock in terms of academics. I wouldn't use that as your main argument for being better academically.

Reactions: ChasRC69 and TRU2RU
Just some fact checking about UConn’s generous state funding - that is actually not the case:

https://today.uconn.edu/2017/10/message-president-herbst-budget/

just fact-checked your fact-check. I don' t think that news of the cut budget shows what you think it shows. They were worried about a CUT to the budget of $309M and got a cut of $143M.. Rutgers only gets something like $203M from the state... UCONN is still getting $230M.. and clearly has been getting a lot more recently. And Rutgers is a lot bigger... our total budget is about twice that of UCONN.. and their state gives them more... and they have just over a third of the population of this state.

The biggest negatives towards Uconn in the Big Ten is the following:

Terrible football (far worse than any Big Ten team) and most importantly tiny football fanbase. Even if they get a lot better in football, that won't fix the fan support problem

Even when they went to a BCS bowl, they broke the record for bringing in the least amount of fans ever. The football fans just do not travel. Not even when we played them they barely came to NJ. No one cares about Uconn football, most of all Uconn fans.

No new TV market, they are unless for the BTN. Since Uconn falls under the same TV market as us.

Even in the future, if BTN goes stream only, does anyone think that Uconn fans will pay to watch Uconn football get wrecked in the Big Ten? Uconn football lost to FCS school, and they needed a miracle to just beat another FCS team, this happen just a few seasons ago.

Not a member of the AAU.

Their state doesn't border any Big Ten school.

Football stadium is off campus and too small.

Big Ten is FOOTBALL 1st, yes the Big Ten is elite in MBB but we all of schools still got in with our MBB program (at the time one of the worse in the country) and the same with Nebraska who's MBB program was terrible when they joined. So Uconn MBB and WBB won't even be considered.

Yes, Nebraska turned around their MBB program and we are in the middle of doing the same, but that is not why either of us were invited, not by a long shot, LOL.

Last edited:
any speculation about UCONN even getting a hint of an opportunity is a waste of time--geez, it even sounds like RU fans care when we don't and shouldn't--they are "out of our league"

The biggest negatives towards Uconn in the Big Ten is the following:

Terrible football (far worse than any Big Ten team) and most importantly tiny football fanbase. Even if they get a lot better in football, that won't fix the fan support program.

Even when they went to a BCS bowl, they broke the record for bringing in the least amount of fans ever. The football fans just do not travel. Not even when we played them they barely came to NJ. No one cares about Uconn football, most of all Uconn fans.

No new TV market, they are unless for the BTN. Since Uconn falls under the same TV market as us.

Even in the future, if BTN goes stream only, does anyone think that Uconn fans will pay to watch Uconn football get wrecked in the Big Ten? Uconn football lost to FCS school, and they needed a miracle to just beat another FCS team, this happen just a few seasons ago.

Not a member of the AAU.

Their state doesn't border any Big Ten school.

Football stadium is off campus and too small.

Big Ten is FOOTBALL 1st, yes the Big Ten is elite in MBB but we all of schools still got in with our MBB program (at the time one of the worse in the country) and the same with Nebraska who's MBB program was terrible when they joined. So Uconn MBB and WBB won't even be considered.

Yes, Nebraska turned around their MBB program and we are in the middle of doing the same, but that is not why either of us were invited, not by a long shot, LOL.
Fun fusky fact friday: After their 33-18 L to FCS Towson in 2013, every FCS game since then has been decided 7 points or less.

uconn is where they are supposed to be.

Friend opined that RU was fortunate to get the invite to the BigTen over UCONN

Never thought UConn was ever a serious thought by Delaney or members

All about football with TV sets, alumni networks and fertile recruiting areas.

Thoughts on a slow day?
Your Friend not correct.(does that help speed the day up?)

Don’t sleep on Uconn? Have you seen home attendance for the Huskies recently?
BINGO!

I found this nugget of information:
In six East Hartford games last season, the average announced crowd was 20,334. That was significantly down from 26,796, the second-lowest in history, in 2016.
UConn has had a season-ticket base of approximately 16,000 each of the past three seasons

We are basically in the BIG because of geography and the cable boxes. Yet some supposedly rutgers fans on this board go on to boast about cutting the cable cord. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.
That's an interesting point. But it seems that people who are "cutting the cord" are switching to streaming versions of cable like YouTubeTV, Hulu, or DirecTVnow. You're still getting bundles of channels, which can include BTN.

Certainly the economics of streaming services are different. Streaming services that carry BTN are still paying carriage fees, however I don't know how those fees correlate to geographies. Nonetheless, as a content provider, BTN is still in a strong position. And with Rutgers in a populous state, BTN is still in a good position to monetize the inclusion of Rutgers in the Big Ten.

Reactions: thegock
We are basically in the BIG because of geography and the cable boxes. Yet some supposedly rutgers fans on this board go on to boast about cutting the cable cord. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.
No doubt bundling and carriage fees are why we are in. Also not in doubt - the whole model is in flux. In whatever the future delivery/pricing form, content will probably still get valued close to what the market will bear. And live sports content is still the top of the food chain.

Cord cutters are still going to pay for the service (Hulu, PS Vue, YouTubeTV, etc). ESPN+, NBC Sports Gold, among other sports channels (along with HBO, Showtime of course) have opened the door for the extra channels that may/may not be paired extra as well.

just fact-checked your fact-check. I don' t think that news of the cut budget shows what you think it shows. They were worried about a CUT to the budget of $309M and got a cut of $143M.. Rutgers only gets something like $203M from the state... UCONN is still getting $230M.. and clearly has been getting a lot more recently. And Rutgers is a lot bigger... our total budget is about twice that of UCONN.. and their state gives them more... and they have just over a third of the population of this state.

To fact-check your fact-check of the fact-check, I found that your $203 M figure for state appropriations to Rutgers is wrong. The figure is more like $400 million -- remember, that includes what used to be UMDNJ. (We were not much above $250 million in the last non-UMDNJ year, but we were not near $203M)) The appropriations trend is downward even in non-inflation adjusted dollars.https://www.rutgers.edu/sites/default/files/Appropriations Trends FY97-FY17.pdf

Your numbers for U.Conn need clarification. How could a $143 M cut from $309 M take UConn to $230M? That is, by the way, a tremendous cut.

Fun fusky fact friday: After their 33-18 L to FCS Towson in 2013, every FCS game since then has been decided 7 points or less.

uconn is where they are supposed to be.

Nah, they're supposed to be in the CAA if you ask me. I think there are a few CAA schools (cough) that are more deserving of an AAC football spot than they.

Rutgers fans are very financially responsible.

UConn:
Member of the AAU....NO
Contiguous State to a B1G member......NO
On campus stadium........NO
perfect candidate to NOT be a B1G member!
UConn also doesn't have Olympic sports that the B1G prides itself on being cream of the crop in like wrestling or men's lacrosse.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Offset men's lax with men's hockey. But I don't think either is that big of a deal, when less than half of the conference fields a team.
But all 14 B1G schools have wrestling and all but 1 or 2 are ranked almost on a regular basis. UConn doesn't have wrestling and easily would be the worst school in the B1G in it if they did.

To fact-check your fact-check of the fact-check, I found that your $203 M figure for state appropriations to Rutgers is wrong. The figure is more like $400 million -- remember, that includes what used to be UMDNJ. (We were not much above $250 million in the last non-UMDNJ year, but we were not near $203M)) The appropriations trend is downward even in non-inflation adjusted dollars.https://www.rutgers.edu/sites/default/files/Appropriations Trends FY97-FY17.pdf

Your numbers for U.Conn need clarification. How could a $143 M cut from $309 M take UConn to $230M? That is, by the way, a tremendous cut.
You are right about Rutgers.. I took it from this rutgers document...and apparently only took the line that says State Appropriations and only looked at New Brunswick.

I wouldn't count much of anything going to UMDNJ since we were "granted" all their debt.. much of that wasted on their corrupt friends and family plan.

I also do not know if UCONNs numbers were for their whole system or just for Stoors. This UCONN document shows state appropriations of $384M and $350M for FY 16 and 15 respectively. But also debt service contributions of $53M and $47M respectively for FY 16/15. UCONN's FY17 showed $374M plus $65M debt service.

I suspect the $143M cut mentioned above was to that figure.. leaving $230M. I have no idea if the debt service contribution will continue at the levels shown in prior years.

Last edited:
lol at uconn...the can say, imagine and dream up any alternative scenario they want...

WE are in the B1G
THEY are not

...ta da!!

Every other bit of discussion and mental gymnastics is rather pointless!

Don't services like Hulu and YouTubeTV have to pay in order to show Big 10 games?

Yes, and Netflix is worth a F-Load of money (more than Comcast or even Disney!) and can pay any price, same with Amazon.

If the future is moving college sports to streaming only with the big games being on the major streaming services, conferences like the Big Ten can end up making even more money than just cable.

Any expansion in the future could be about who can bring in the most subscribers rather than TV homes.

To my fact checkers:

Yes, UConn did have a push to grow their enrollment and add programs within the last five years, but that came to a screeching halt now that their state economy is in trouble. Unless they somehow get into a major conference, their athletic revenue model may not be sustainable.

If I were their AD, I would embrace where they are in the AAC and try to become competitive. I would also push to add UMass as a conference member to give UConn a real conference rival (not UCF). The AAC is an interesting mid level football conference, but not a great basketball conference. I would supplement the AAC schedule with some old Big East foes like Georgetown and Syracuse. That would generate fan excitement.

One more thing - I would try to expand their small- on campus football stadium (to a capacity of 30 thousand) to play their non-conference home games. Asking their students to take a bus to the Rent ruins any chance of getting decent attendance and student interest in football. That may be a pipe dream, but it would help to spur excitement about football.

Scarlet Jerry

...take a bus to the Rent...
Rent is right. Don't they Rent that empty dump from the state?

Horrible idea for a horrible stadium for a horrible fan base. Psychos like their former mod here, pudge, loved to proclaim it was such a great idea, while pooh-poohing the smart investment WE made in the stadium upgrade. Moron. So happy not be in the same sentence with those goofballs. Good riddance.

Reactions: TRU2RU
You are right about Rutgers.. I took it from this rutgers document...and apparently only took the line that says State Appropriations and only looked at New Brunswick.

I wouldn't count much of anything going to UMDNJ since we were "granted" all their debt.. much of that wasted on their corrupt friends and family plan.

I also do not know if UCONNs numbers were for their whole system or just for Stoors. This UCONN document shows state appropriations of $384M and $350M for FY 16 and 15 respectively. But also debt service contributions of $53M and $47M respectively for FY 16/15. UCONN's FY17 showed $374M plus $65M debt service.

I suspect the $143M cut mentioned above was to that figure.. leaving $230M. I have no idea if the debt service contribution will continue at the levels shown in prior years.

If you look at the link I included with my post, there has been a huge increase in appropriations due to the merger with UMDNJ. I rather doubt that money is used to pay for debt service -- it looks like state appropriations for instruction. I still find it incredible that UMDNJ was cut from $374 Million to $230 Million. That would be a devastating cut. You might want to check the U.Conn numbers.

Yes, and Netflix is worth a F-Load of money (more than Comcast or even Disney!) and can pay any price, same with Amazon.

If the future is moving college sports to streaming only with the big games being on the major streaming services, conferences like the Big Ten can end up making even more money than just cable.

Any expansion in the future could be about who can bring in the most subscribers rather than TV homes.

So it would seem that Plum Street is incorrect in saying that people who cut the cable cord are hurting the Big Ten or Rutgers.

Reactions: bigmatt718
I actually visited UConn Monday on a college visit. It was on the way back from Boston where we hit BU & Northeastern. Cute little campus in the middle of nowhere on a country road. Kind of reminded me of Livi with a better WBB team. I will say they put a lot of $$$ into their athletics. The fact their football stadium is in Hartford instead of Storrs stinks of government grift, considering all the nice facilities they have.

The funny part is, 5 of the 8 families on the tour were from NJ & we were all separately visiting it to see if it would make a good safety school if our kid can’t get into Rutgers.

I actually visited UConn Monday on a college visit. It was on the way back from Boston where we hit BU & Northeastern. Cute little campus in the middle of nowhere on a country road. Kind of reminded me of Livi with a better WBB team. I will say they put a lot of $$$ into their athletics. The fact their football stadium is in Hartford instead of Storrs stinks of government grift, considering all the nice facilities they have.

The funny part is, 5 of the 8 families on the tour were from NJ & we were all separately visiting it to see if it would make a good safety school if our kid can’t get into Rutgers.

The original concept was to lure the Patriots down from Boston/Foxboro. The Patsies then got what they wanted with Gilette, and the plans were scaled down for a 35/40K seat stadium instead.

I don't think their old on-campus stadium is still around.

My niece looked at BU and Northeastern 3 years ago and ended up at NU. The co-op programs at Northeastern offer tremendous job opportunities for an undergrad that are considered industry experience after graduation. She is a Finance major and has had co-op assignments of 6 months each with top financial services firms in Boston and Wall Street. Also got to spend a semester in London. Each co-op firm she worked for offered her a position when she graduates. Co-op is the way to go IMO.

UConn (and UMass) should go back to the CAA, tbh.

I've been saying this forever. Big East basketball and Colonial football would not be a bad deal. Too bad Connecticut invested so much state money in UConn football.

Look, we DID get lucky. If Rutgers was in Storrs, Conn., and UConn was in New Brunswick, of course they would be in. BUT Connecticut in the Big Ten is a joke. ACC? Perhaps if they ever get ND in as a full member and want an even number. But that's only marginally more likely than UConn being considered for the Big Ten.

My niece looked at BU and Northeastern 3 years ago and ended up at NU. The co-op programs at Northeastern offer tremendous job opportunities for an undergrad that are considered industry experience after graduation. She is a Finance major and has had co-op assignments of 6 months each with top financial services firms in Boston and Wall Street. Also got to spend a semester in London. Each co-op firm she worked for offered her a position when she graduates. Co-op is the way to go IMO.

As a Northeastern grad I can attest to the value of the co-op experience. At least the campus is really nice now compared to when I went there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT