ADVERTISEMENT

From Aaron Breitman: What Cam Spencer will bring to Rutgers Hoops this year

That was such an underrated part of Geos game! Every single team and defense knew it was coming but he got so much separation they still couldn’t stop it. And when he was on, it was like a 75% shot for him
The step back was Geo's signature move so not sure it was underrated

The first thing you need is a guard fast enough, with a great handle to break backcourt pressure or an aggressive press without having to pick up their dribble.
Paul/Caleb/Cam
Are projected starters, which of the three can do that?
This is one of my concerns with the roster. Miller and Simpson are capable.

My concern for the offense next year is who the second creator is. We know Mulcahy is the primary guy but when he's on the bench or heavily keyed in on by the defense who do we turn to? It can't all be McConnell or Spencer going one on one, we need someone else to create space and find teammates. McConnell can bring the ball up the floor but can he drove into the lane and make something happen? Can Spencer? Are Simpson or Miller ready to step into that role?
We are going to see a ton of Paul and Cliff in the PnR

Cam can create off the dribble but it's not with speed. It'll be crafty moves and head fakes trying to use the defenders aggression against them

The first thing you need is a guard fast enough, with a great handle to break backcourt pressure or an aggressive press without having to pick up their dribble.
Paul/Caleb/Cam
Are projected starters, which of the three can do that?
It wasn’t any one guy last year and many of our fans said we didn’t have that guy last year either. From what I saw everyone one of our starters but Cliff brought the ball up the court and called out plays. That was the beauty of that team.

The bullish take on the season is we have unselfish players and a bunch of seniors that will get us in to our offensive sets and we will run them officially which will create quality shot opportunities.

I am worried that teams that play good defense and work us deep in to the shot clock are going to give us problems. It doesn’t appear we have players that can quickly create their own shot with the clock running down like we have had in previous years.

I am expecting Cliff to continue to improve. Like Pike I expect him to be a threat from 3. He is very athletic and moves great off the ball. However I don’t see any evidence that makes me think teams will need to double team Cliff in the low post.

I think we can be successful offensively, but it will be in the confines of utilizing half court sets and being smart and disciplined enough to get in to them.
I think we can potentially be very good on defense though.

You think Caleb can be the guy to dribble the ball past mid court under back court pressure or press?
I’m talking after an opponents field goal or made foul shot where they set up pressure?
Agree we are lacking in the speedy pure point guard vs pressure guy but sometimes the ball in the air moves quicker up the court. Geo was not a pure 1 either so I THINK we’ll be fine. Time will tell

Reactions: Scarlet83
Agree we are lacking in the speedy pure point guard vs pressure guy but sometimes the ball in the air moves quicker up the court. Geo was not a pure 1 either so I THINK we’ll be fine. Time will tell

Correct - I think our defense will be at least as good as our defense was Geo’s frosh year (ranked 28th nationally that year). I don’t think our offense will be anywhere near as bad as that year’s team (270th national ranking).

What I’m expecting, is an offense that’s more in line with what we had the following year (when RHJ, Caleb and Tez were frosh) in terms of scoring power weapons, but much less turnover prone (with a better defense - we’re going to be playing 3+ veteran defenders at all times). I’m optimistic that Simpson will be able to add the explosiveness that Tez brought that year even if the stat line doesn’t reflect it because he doesn’t need to attempt as many shots.

Rutgers hasn't had an off-ball guard scorer like Spencer under Pikiell. A guy to get the ball coming off screens and making cuts. I'm interested to see how the offense changes from the Geo and Ron show.
Will be a great segue to Gavin Griffiths. Of all the tools he has, his catch and shoot is his best.

Reactions: RUHouston
Agree that we need to plan for opportunities when Cliff gets double teamed.
Also, wonder if and when Geo gets added to the staff. ?

Reactions: MiloTalon13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT