ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 15 Penn State: Feeble

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
That was a pretty soft performance in a moment where Rutgers had a chance to show they were for real against a very ordinary mediocre Penn State in front of no atmosphere at Bryce Jordan. Now 0-5 on the road, is anyone truly suprised that Rutgers belched up this performance tonight. This same group has shown traditionally that they cannot translate their energy and effort they bring from games at the RAC to the road. They also have shown the same tendency to swell their heads after stringing wins together. Saw that the previous two seasons and now once again laying an egg. Again you are never as good as your last win or as bad as your last loss. It does not end the longshot RU NCAA hopes. Its one game, one loss on the road and there may be other opportunities for road wins, namely Maryland on Saturday. RU can certainly recover from the loss tonight The last month of play was great and hid some of the bad characteristics this team possess. Unfortunately this team is still capable of thowing up stinky eggs full of no energy, no leadership and horrible decision making. Know that going forward. We have seniors who lay eggs and lack the consistency to elevate this team from game to game.

I didnt think Penn State did anything special this game. RU started out poorly but did hang around and chipped into the lead at times, I think got it to 4 at one point but quickly PSU built that lead up to 12. I think despite the struggles offensively with the shot not going down, to me it was the RU defense that disappointed me the most because they did not get the stops when they needed to. If you are not hitting you can still get back in the game by getting stops and rebounding and I saw players looking up as Penn State at one point had 3 chances for a tip in they finally converted. I will give Penn State credit that by midway through the game, PSU sensed blood in the water and went in for the kill. Rutgers wilted like a wallflower tonight. That to me being called soft like charmin, feeble, wallflower is the worst thing a team can be called. When you are a veteran team like RU its even worse. Thats why I think this team needed an ego check...swelling heads yet their resume had some horrible losses and had not yet done a damn thing on the road.

Player wise, saying less is more. Ron and Geo's performance spoke for itself. 7 points for each...they should be embarrassed. Caleb and Paul was just as bad as they were in the first couple games. I suppose Hyatt and Cliff showed the most energy and thats stretching it for Hyatt. 12 and 12 for Cliff yet but those numbers don't show he was not even impactful. Meanwhile Pikiell rotations were bizarre. Playing Palmquist that much was inexcusable. This is not a science experiment. Limiting Millers time and giving Jones zero time on a team that was doing zilch was another bad look. Just a dreadful performance in preparation and in game coaching by Pikiell and company who along were their players were simply abused

So onto Maryland. Rutgers still has a lot to prove. Have played like crap all year on the road and there does not seem to be any indication that is going to change. As for a post season, one game at a time, but maybe a needed reality check for all of us, this team isnt a top 25 team nor are they even a NCAA bubble team at this juncture. This feeble performance underscores how much work they need to do to secure victories. Very obvious that efforts like this will not cut the mustard, deflate those swelling heads and get back to working and not expecting you can just walk on the court and turn it on when you want to.

Absolutely horrific. Pathetic. Worthy of basically surrendering any positive sentiment left for the season. See ya “leaders” at the next level. We need a reboot here.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Absolutely horrific. Pathetic. Worthy of basically surrendering any positive sentiment left for the season. See ya “leaders” at the next level. We need a reboot here.
One game doesn’t make a season.

Hopefully this loss as expected will give them the drive to play with revenge against Maryland. This game was a wake up call to tell them they need to bring away game intensity.

One game doesn’t make a season.
Yea it does. It absolutely does when it was this game, coming off that streak, and that kind of performance. That was downright putrid

Feeble. Lol. Like that word

Whats very concerning for me:

- No ball movement
- Settling for outside shots
- No toughness. None
- No Rim protection
- Shooting was atrocious
- Continued Road woes.

Only guy who can look himself in the mirror is Cliff.

Obviously Ron and Geo having off nights didn't help us but this game reminded me a lot of the seton hall game.

Paul is our catalyst (if that is the right word).

Penn state (like seton hall) didn't really have a short guy or and unathletic guy that Paul can abuse in the post and be somewhat hidden on defense. When Paul can do that it opens things up and the big two don't have to play at an all conference level. But when he can't it really hurts our offensive flow

You’d like to think so, but how many times have we seen this exact game on the road over the last 3 years?
Of course. But against every other game I feel we play somewhat decent and keep the game close. besides at Penn state. We always look god awful against the lions and I never understand why. I’m just hoping they bring better intensity and will to actually win the game, and of course with better coaching and plays. Tonight just looked like we didn’t want to be there.

Been saying it for three years now since the talent became B1G quality and that was no longer an excuse. This team is all smiles and fired up when the shots are falling but when they aren’t, they act like they’d rather be anywhere else than a basketball court. That’s coaching.
Yes. Pike needs to start screaming at them being some intensity as a coach. If I was the coach in that position I’ll be screaming at them during the timeout and saying “DO YALL EVEN WANT TO BE HERE? HUH? LETS ****ING PLAY LIKE WE KNOW WE CAN!” It’s very frustrating because we could have won with a few changes from Pike. But he didn’t change the way we played and we got drilled for it.

Reactions: CERU00
Been saying it for three years now since the talent became B1G quality and that was no longer an excuse. This team is all smiles and fired up when the shots are falling but when they aren’t, they act like they’d rather be anywhere else than a basketball court. That’s coaching.
No it's not. It's on the players. Pike is ALWAYS bringing the energy trying to get the guys going. At some point it's on them.

Reactions: Unionst
When Geo and Ron play poorly they sulk and bring the whole team down.
Because they know they can do much better. They need to continue to be leaders even when down. Not having mag killed because he could’ve helped with energy.

Reactions: RW90
there were several points in this game where it got to 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 when a big stop and some leadership could have gathered the team to make a serious run. Instead there was no serious run EVER..usually there is some kind of run, tonight anytime they cut the lead within seconds it was back up to 8-12 again

That is the disturbing part. I could live with being beat by a Penn State team that shot lights out and was really tough on defense, but that really wasnt the case here

We saw the Rutgers with no purpose out there again

I need to hear about TEARS in the lockerroom after a loss like tonight, I want it to matter that they skated through this game and regret not coming in with the right mindset

Because if the loss does not HURT than they are not going to learn any lessons for Maryland

Hopefully this loss as expected will give them the drive to play with revenge against Maryland. This game was a wake up call to tell them they need to bring away game intensity.
That goes for head coach and staff, as well. Lame performance all the way around. Not just the players on the court.

There are no excuses for this pathetic performance.Rutgers has a squad of experienced players that conrtinue to disapper on the road.Its disheartening for fans to watch road games because the script doesn't change.

Reactions: Scangg
We had a 4 game win streak against 3 awful teams and a down Michigan team with no bench due to Covid. This team still sucks and wait til next year with no Geo, Ron, and Cliff transfers.
Pikiell screwed the pooch with his sh*t recruiting. Best 2 year run in years and dud nothing to capitalize in it. Recruiting like the American East in B1G will never work.
This team will be buried by the time Hobbs cuts bait.

We were always a step slow tonight and STILL had a few chances to cut it down below 5 points a few times. Penn State was able to run anything they wanted tonight.

We need a big effort at Maryland now.

Best of Luck,
Groz

There are no excuses for this pathetic performance.Rutgers has a squad of experienced players that conrtinue to disapper on the road.Its disheartening for fans to watch road games because the script doesn't change.
Of course there’s excuses. Whether they want to make excuses or man the **** up after post game and say they had shit games than I’ll respect that. I’m not disagreeing with you. But Penn state wanted to be there. We didn’t from the start. It was evident with Geo and Ron shooting like shit.

how about the play where Caleb inexplicably dribbled into the paint and then the ball rolled under his wide open outstretched legs, it was that kind of night
Caleb gets a pass from me because his effort alongside Cliff stood out...unfortunately it stood out

Reactions: Scangg
We had a 4 game win streak against 3 awful teams and a down Michigan team with no bench due to Covid. This team still sucks and wait til next year with no Geo, Ron, and Cliff transfers.
Pikiell screwed the pooch with his sh*t recruiting. Best 2 year run in years and dud nothing to capitalize in it. Recruiting like the American East in B1G will never work.
Here come the unfounded Cliff transferring posts

Loose one game and everyone enters the portal. Oh No!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT