ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 31 Purdue: There are no words

Incredible. You know I don't believe in jinxes and omens, but maybe running into you after the MD game for the first time in a few years did the trick, lol. I recall we both thought we were in, but with a little doubt and said let's go beat Purdue before we left the RAC that night. Been a long time, my friend - I know we've had a few (ok more than a few, lol) arguments over the years over lots of unimportant things, which all pale in comparison to this. We all deserved this for everything we've put up with for so long.

I don't believe in jinxes and omens either, but I'm "convinced" that had I gone to this game (I live only 90 mins from Purdue) it would have ended up like the other RU games I've seen in Indiana (including the beatdown at IU at the end of last season). So I carefully waited 'til well after the game to check the Board. It's the best feeling I've had since watching (on TV) RU beat Princeton by one win the first round in '75 (and of course, watching RU blow out PU 29-0 in the Centennial game--ya gotta remember, when I was at RU, PU was our biggest rival and we ALWAYS lost to them!), AND since watching RU's great run to the championship game of the NIT in '67! Bill Foster and Tom Young were great, but given the demands of today's B-Ball, Pike may very well end up to be even better!

Its been a long 29 years for a lot of people and for me its been a long 15 years. It started in 2004 when I was a freshman and bought season tickets to bball (when there was such a thing as a student) because I always wanted to be at a game. For 4 years i would only miss a handful of games and ensure my classes were scheduled so that game nights could be spent at The RAC. From the numerous almost wins in the big east to the times of douby and the dark days of Hill and Jordan, its been a long journey.

This year has been so remarkable in so many ways. From the back to back road losses to the demolition of SHU to the heartbreak of losing Geo to this last week, as Pike says Ive enjoyed the journey.

Congrats to these young men, the staff, the support team, Pat Hobbs and the athletic department, and of course the loyal sons. All of us can now continue to enjoy the ride.

RRRRRRR

Last edited:
When does a potential game winning free throw against Rutgers NOT go in? The tables have finally turned!
Well, here's at least one time it didn't: "Princeton rallied to pull within 54–53 with four seconds remaining, when Eddie Jordan of Rutgers fouled Princeton reserve guard Pete Molloy. Rutgers coach Tom Young called two timeouts before Molloy attempted the front end of the one-and-one free throws. Molloy missed, and Rutgers guard Mike Dabney grabbed the rebound to secure the 54–53 win." (March 13, 1976--first round NCAA--the year before we had lost to Louisville. That was our first NCAA tourney win. Saw it on TV, remember well the PU shot bouncing off the front iron--but had to look it up on Wikipedia to verify my fuzzy memory!

All I can say is whew! What a nail biter of a game. Congrats to everyone, which includes the team, Coach Pike, and all of us long suffering fans.

Reactions: bac2therac
Wasn’t the win over Purdue In ‘76 when we finally affirmed we were for real.

Today affirmed we are for real.

Over 30 years waiting including Hobbs kicking us to the curb.

All worth it!!! What a day!!!!!

Wasn’t the win over Purdue In ‘76 when we finally affirmed we were for real.

around the 3rd game of that season we played away at Boston College..... I would guess we were a small underdog at that point, I think BC was expected to be good, although it did not turn out that way later on

......well, we took care of business in a pretty big way

I was watching Marv Albert doing the sports on one channel that evening ...and mid way through his broadcast, they brought the camera fairly close to his face, and he
said with a serious face that something is brewing down in New Brunswick.....the way he did it gave me chills......

Reminiscent of making the NIT field in 1967. It was an invite only and not being from a big conference the NCAA was a far fetched dream. All games played at the Old MSG too.
Anyhow. We get in and beat New Mexico and Utah St before losing to S .Illinois. We win the 3rd place game against Marshall. It was our first trip into big time BB and the whole community got involved.
Similar feeling as today only 50+ years later. And now we're back again.

This is an awesome feeling after all these years.
This is grittiest, most gusty team I’ve seen since 76. Could have quit after the gut punch at state penn, but came back to exorcise demons against MD and Purdue. On to Indianapolis and then the Big Dance!

That shot by Geo in OT. That's the shot that always goes in and out. That's the shot that always breaks our hearts. I can't even describe the noise that came out of me when it actually went in.

Same, definitely scared the dog and the neighbors, possibly even myself.

The whole team deserves kudos, but GEO deserves a number retired. The RU GOAT (at least post 1976).

I know douby, etc and I love them all, but THIS GUY led us out of the desert.
He came, he saw and he believed In Pikes vision and he grew into the leader of the pack very very quickly.Great testament to his character as he has shown numerous times on the court

I can't believe I've been on this board for almost half of the drought. I was a soph in college looking for recruiting nuggets after a few years using the NJ.com boards and the drought felt excruciatingly long back then...

eat drink and be merry...

When does a potential game winning free throw against Rutgers NOT go in? The tables have finally turned!

As was pointed out elsewhere as an answer to the semi-rhetorical question, it does indeed seem like the last time was when Pete Malloy missed the front end of a 1 and 1 for Princeton in Providence int he opening round of the 1976 NCAAs. Hoping for a good run after this good break and the start of more good breaks in the coming seasons.

As was pointed out elsewhere as an answer to the semi-rhetorical question, it does indeed seem like the last time was when Pete Malloy missed the front end of a 1 and 1 for Princeton in Providence int he opening round of the 1976 NCAAs. Hoping for a good run after this good break and the start of more good breaks in the coming seasons.
Call it good luck for the winner or bad luck for the loser, it can determine the outcome. We've had more than our share of disappointment over the years so maybe the tables have tilted a bit.
But sometimes you make your own luck too. I think our team leans that way now. Nice feeling for the faithful.

Last edited:
Fan since 75/76 and this feels great. Especially happy for my best bud @RUBigJ who has been a fan a lot longer than me. Just got off the phone with him and he is on cloud 9.

My freshman year at Rutgers was 1996. I remember beating Gtown that year and instantly becoming a fan. 98-99 was great, but the late season loss to Gtown was a huge gut punch. I've read here we were the first team out victimized by Lamar Odom's run with URI to the A10 championship. We were not as confident on campus that year. I don't remember watching the selection show thinking we had a real shot. Then as they went to commercial before the West Bracket was announced, they flashed to RU and said will Rutgers get in? We didn't and while I knew 99-00 would be a step back, I honestly thought the tournament was coming by 00-01, or 01-02...Naked free throws and DWI's , Jay WIlliams mother driving him to visit Duke through a monsoon, and Dahntay's transfer took all of that that away. But after 98-99 I really never thought it would be 21 more years to wait while I watched Earl Johnson and Josh Sankes take part in the Madness.

2001-2002 was another surprise season but our inability to compete on the road and a late season buzzer beater loss to VT did us in. Again I had hope. The RAC was alive and well and in 2003-2004 was another electric year, it ended with of course the run to the NIT final. Again there was hope.

2005-2006 was a sensational year for Douby, but it was obvious we were 2-3 players away. We were surely only a few recruiting wins away from a tourney appearance.

I like many on this board thought FHJ was going to get us over that hump. I was instantly disappointed by his excuses and hoarding scholarships. 3 open scholarships in year one. He should have been scouring the JUCO level for shooters.

Then the Mike Rice era, I again really liked what he was doing. I honestly feel if he didn't alienate the roster with constant turnover and of course the scandal, he gets this done by 2015-2016.

EJ arrived and was nothing short of a disaster and I really felt like maybe all hope was lost.

And now we sit on the precipice of ending the drought, with a team crafted of under the radar recruits with the ultimate team first mentality. EO transfers, no problem. Geo injured, no problem. Need a road win...let's just win in the RAC west (Mackey Arena). Just a sensational year thus far. I haven't stopped smiling since the game ended on Saturday.

Let's stay the course, take down Michigan and assure our name is called on Selection Sunday! GO RU!!!

Reactions: RU89
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT