ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 6 Miami: The Build is here

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
This...this folks is a sign of things to come. This was different. How many times have you seen a game like this last year or during the Rice era or during Waters or during Bannon. RU playing a solid team on the road going toe to toe with them looking good and then folding like a wet chalupa in the second half and watching the other team convert big shot after big shot to close it out. OMG I do not even know where to start tonight...just so much to cover and so many positives in all kinds of ways.

1. I LOVE PIKE......wow just wow. This guy can coach. He and his staff have done a fantastic job bringing this team along the first 6 games. Not only from moving on without Corey but now from the disappointment of the SJU performance. The defense has shown up in the last 3 games, not there quite just yet but tonight was a glimpse of what will be coming. How about his development of the youngsters...very patient with Kiss, Harper, and Mathis. He challenged them tonight and they responded. Coaching staff pushed all the right buttons. He was dueling with another great coaching wizard tonight. Loved the use of timeouts to get looks, they do not always convert but it is almost always a great look. Did I say I love Pike.

2. COMPETING VS WINNING....Any team can compete, we have seen it for years. Knowing how to win..well that is a different animal. Battling back after a poor start...CHECK. Taking a lead on the road into halftime...CHECK...battling back through adversity....CHECK. Making the needed shots to give yourself a cushion down the stretch...CHECK...making the needed stops on defense to secure the win...CHECK. Hitting free throws when it matters..CHECK. Winning on the road...you got to be kidding me...CHECK. Now it doesnt mean that this team is headed for the NCAA or to a top half finish in this league but tonight was a significant step for the program in learning to win. That last few minutes vs Boston U were quite valuable in teaching a lesson on how to close it out.

3. THE HUNGER.....this team wanted it tonight. Geo who took a huge leap vs Purdue and several steps up in the first 5 games, just took a giant step forward tonight. He led and willed this team to a win. Whether it was a timely 3 that calmed RU after they lost the lead or a much needed 3 that gave them the lead or his monster block of that Miami 3 in the closing seconds, Geo clearly moved into the man catagory tonight...(Corey who? lol) 7-17 fg, 17 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists and 2 blocks. Geo just a masterful find by Pike and Gio has now stamped his imprint on the program with the best yet to come. Eugene was Eugene.even if it wasnt his best stat line..Great start, little bit of a disappearing but then came on strong with that bigtime 3 that put RU up 5 and allowed them that needed cushion. His defense was problematic for Miami. I said before the game that RU could win this if Kiss, Harper and Mathis showed up and show up they did. Kiss shook off his mini funk and was much more comfortable in being aggressive and getting his. No fear in him tonight and he made a nice defensive stop too in the closing minutes. Need his 3 ball. Mathis hit a big shot with RU down 42-39 and played some solid D, his length definitely a factor defensively. Harper also hit some nice shots. These guys do not have to light it up as frosh, they just need to know their roles and they fit those roles tonight. Such a great thing to see...and on the road to boot. Sometimes kids grow up fast because they do not know any better. Also Issa....struggled with his shot, hit only one 3 and missed several open ones but boy did he come up huge with those free throws one and one giving RU the 3 point lead. Its about showing up. Doorson showed up too...10 boards..defense and disruption, man he is exceeding my expectations, Miami got nothing inside really. Cannot fault him for that miss of the free throw at all. This team worked very very hard for this game. Its a bunch of lunchpail kids out there. Gotta love the fight and steadiness, they keep doin.

4. CULTURE CHANGE....I know Pike beat SHU last year but that was a rivalry game at home and had a lot of intangibles involved. This game on the road with such a young team against a decent ACC school might be his most impressive OOC win to date. This is how it starts. I just had a different feeling watching this game tonight. I usually have a hard time believing that the movie will turn out any different than it has done the 50 or 60 times I have watched this same type of game played. Tonight was different, I really had a quiet confidence as the game progressed. I think this team developed a quiet confidence about it. RU dictated the pace...yeah RU went on the road to an ACC school and set the tone. Miami had not be held under what 78? all year. It was RU that looked like the better team. It was RU that looked like they had just about as much talent or more than Miami. It was RU with the bettter gameplan and coaching staff. Winning matters...moral victories suck, no one wants to hear about them. RU doesnt want a moral victory against Sparty, they had two of them last year, they want a win. Truthfully its going to be a tall task. RU still has some flaws that can be exposed. We are not a complete team yet in the way we need to be to string together big game after big game. RU will come into the MSU game with house money...and unlike the SJU game I think they learn the lesson from being overhyped and tight. Crowd should be jacked and a big help. Let the chips fall where they may. Enjoy this as RU fans, win or lose vs MSU, RU has arrived.

Good post. Your item #2 stood out to me most - Competing vs. Winning.

We’re entering new territory under Pikiell right now and some waters we haven’t been in...in a long time.

This game felt different. Even though it wasn’t pretty and they missed some opportunities to open it up, they did the little things, focused and had a confidence to pull out of Miami with a W.

Whether it was a box out, a free throw, or solid defense....this team was there to win tonight. Not just compete.

Good post. Your item #2 stood out to me most - Competing vs. Winning.

We’re entering new territory under Pikiell right now and some waters we haven’t been in...in a long time.

This game felt different. Even though it wasn’t pretty and they missed some opportunities to open it up, they did the little things, focused and had a confidence to pull out of Miami with a W.

Whether it was a box out, a free throw, or solid defense....this team was there to win tonight. Not just compete.

I think what didnt happen where all those meltdowns when adversity strikes and it just snowballs from there. The team was very calm down the stretch. Some great use of the Pike timeouts with RU up one possession but realizing the importance of what getting up two possession could do. They converted on the Eugene 3 to go up 55-50..the next timeout was a great play that had Kiss driving to the hoop that was such a great call and look..it was down and then just rimmed and popped out. But it was the defense late that did everything..Geo with that block..are you kidding me. Issa with the free throws..everyone seemed to make a play in the 2nd half no matter how little it was.

Peaks and valleys over the next 15 months.....but that's part of the rebuild. Recap covered perfectly.

truth...we still are not a complete team. Pike will do his best with what he can with what he has this year. Next year could end up being something special as well 2020-21 albeit without Eugene. Its really nice to actually envision how the future might unfold for once rather than be buried under hopelessness

I think what didnt happen where all those meltdowns when adversity strikes and it just snowballs from there. The team was very calm down the stretch. Some great use of the Pike timeouts with RU up one possession but realizing the importance of what getting up two possession could do. They converted on the Eugene 3 to go up 55-50..the next timeout was a great play that had Kiss driving to the hoop that was such a great call and look..it was down and then just rimmed and popped out. But it was the defense late that did everything..Geo with that block..are you kidding me. Issa with the free throws..everyone seemed to make a play in the 2nd half no matter how little it was.

The team withstood every effort that Miami made to change the momentum, and to your point, back, retained confidence and a certain calmness. That's a huge step forward.

Agree, something felt different tonight, in a good way. We were focused, in control and despite several more alley oops that went awry, only had 14 turnovers.

It all starts with Geo, who broke down the D and found himself in the paint often, leading to 6 assists to go along with his patented pull-up jumper.

Couple that with incredible team defense, in the Pike tradition, and you have a recipe for victory.

Reactions: RUonBrain
truth...we still are not a complete team. Pike will do his best with what he can with what he has this year. Next year could end up being something special as well 2020-21 albeit without Eugene. Its really nice to actually envision how the future might unfold for once rather than be buried under hopelessness
Terrific analysis, Bac. For the first time in a while, there is a real basis for optimism rather than endless hopelessness. This team knows how to win. They
are fun to watch. They are so well coached. And it is only going to get better.

Winning Rutgers basketball is back again, to the surprise of many skeptics (including myself).

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY

The class of 2020 could put this program over the top in a big way ...

yes they did, they used one after they missed their first shot and then had to inbound but after the RU miss with 35 or so seconds, Larranga elected to just let them do their thing

So many positives and so much potential for this team. Really have to reach to find something lacking. I would like to see Caleb get some more minutes. I know it was not really possible tonight, but we are really going to need him in conference play. I would also like to see us get the ball inside more, but these are nits and they will come.

Favorite play tonight was Eugene bouncing the ball off the backboard to himself for the slam!

Holy crap, an optimistic Bac. I've never seen this before.

Preach Brother Rac!

it has been such a long while for hoops. Last time I had hope was Rice's first season..remember the Florida win. It would be nice to return to happy recaps once again. The Hill years, plus the Rice implosion, and Jordan disaster really took a toll on me.

yes they did, they used one after they missed their first shot and then had to inbound but after the RU miss with 35 or so seconds, Larranga elected to just let them do their thing

I thought they used their last one after the Shaq block when the ball went out on baseline.

The ensuing inbounds led to the Geo block

Would like to see a replay

They had a “defacto” timeout the way the refs kept checking the clock for time. They even got to switch the inbounder..

Eugene will be a huge loss..the more i think about it, we have to at least get to Dayton next year..

This...this folks is a sign of things to come. This was different. How many times have you seen a game like this last year or during the Rice era or during Waters or during Bannon. RU playing a solid team on the road going toe to toe with them looking good and then folding like a wet chalupa in the second half and watching the other team convert big shot after big shot to close it out. OMG I do not even know where to start tonight...just so much to cover and so many positives in all kinds of ways.

1. I LOVE PIKE......wow just wow. This guy can coach. He and his staff have done a fantastic job bringing this team along the first 6 games. Not only from moving on without Corey but now from the disappointment of the SJU performance. The defense has shown up in the last 3 games, not there quite just yet but tonight was a glimpse of what will be coming. How about his development of the youngsters...very patient with Kiss, Harper, and Mathis. He challenged them tonight and they responded. Coaching staff pushed all the right buttons. He was dueling with another great coaching wizard tonight. Loved the use of timeouts to get looks, they do not always convert but it is almost always a great look. Did I say I love Pike.

2. COMPETING VS WINNING....Any team can compete, we have seen it for years. Knowing how to win..well that is a different animal. Battling back after a poor start...CHECK. Taking a lead on the road into halftime...CHECK...battling back through adversity....CHECK. Making the needed shots to give yourself a cushion down the stretch...CHECK...making the needed stops on defense to secure the win...CHECK. Hitting free throws when it matters..CHECK. Winning on the road...you got to be kidding me...CHECK. Now it doesnt mean that this team is headed for the NCAA or to a top half finish in this league but tonight was a significant step for the program in learning to win. That last few minutes vs Boston U were quite valuable in teaching a lesson on how to close it out.

3. THE HUNGER.....this team wanted it tonight. Geo who took a huge leap vs Purdue and several steps up in the first 5 games, just took a giant step forward tonight. He led and willed this team to a win. Whether it was a timely 3 that calmed RU after they lost the lead or a much needed 3 that gave them the lead or his monster block of that Miami 3 in the closing seconds, Geo clearly moved into the man catagory tonight...(Corey who? lol) 7-17 fg, 17 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists and 2 blocks. Geo just a masterful find by Pike and Gio has now stamped his imprint on the program with the best yet to come. Eugene was Eugene.even if it wasnt his best stat line..Great start, little bit of a disappearing but then came on strong with that bigtime 3 that put RU up 5 and allowed them that needed cushion. His defense was problematic for Miami. I said before the game that RU could win this if Kiss, Harper and Mathis showed up and show up they did. Kiss shook off his mini funk and was much more comfortable in being aggressive and getting his. No fear in him tonight and he made a nice defensive stop too in the closing minutes. Need his 3 ball. Mathis hit a big shot with RU down 42-39 and played some solid D, his length definitely a factor defensively. Harper also hit some nice shots. These guys do not have to light it up as frosh, they just need to know their roles and they fit those roles tonight. Such a great thing to see...and on the road to boot. Sometimes kids grow up fast because they do not know any better. Also Issa....struggled with his shot, hit only one 3 and missed several open ones but boy did he come up huge with those free throws one and one giving RU the 3 point lead. Its about showing up. Doorson showed up too...10 boards..defense and disruption, man he is exceeding my expectations, Miami got nothing inside really. Cannot fault him for that miss of the free throw at all. This team worked very very hard for this game. Its a bunch of lunchpail kids out there. Gotta love the fight and steadiness, they keep doin.

4. CULTURE CHANGE....I know Pike beat SHU last year but that was a rivalry game at home and had a lot of intangibles involved. This game on the road with such a young team against a decent ACC school might be his most impressive OOC win to date. This is how it starts. I just had a different feeling watching this game tonight. I usually have a hard time believing that the movie will turn out any different than it has done the 50 or 60 times I have watched this same type of game played. Tonight was different, I really had a quiet confidence as the game progressed. I think this team developed a quiet confidence about it. RU dictated the pace...yeah RU went on the road to an ACC school and set the tone. Miami had not be held under what 78? all year. It was RU that looked like the better team. It was RU that looked like they had just about as much talent or more than Miami. It was RU with the bettter gameplan and coaching staff. Winning matters...moral victories suck, no one wants to hear about them. RU doesnt want a moral victory against Sparty, they had two of them last year, they want a win. Truthfully its going to be a tall task. RU still has some flaws that can be exposed. We are not a complete team yet in the way we need to be to string together big game after big game. RU will come into the MSU game with house money...and unlike the SJU game I think they learn the lesson from being overhyped and tight. Crowd should be jacked and a big help. Let the chips fall where they may. Enjoy this as RU fans, win or lose vs MSU, RU has arrived.
BAC one of your best posts ever! Another milestone tonight: Miami had won 19 straight non-conference games at home. We broke their three season record and held them to just 34% shooting from the field.

We only lose Doorson and get Young Mulcahey and TBA. Next year we dance.

I think Harper is the best non Geo/EO option to create offense out there. He gets to the basket nicely while under control and can both finish at the rim and pass well. If Geo is ever out of the game I'd like to see Harper on the floor as the playmaker. Also would be a good time to try to get touches to Myles in the post and get a couple possessions where the offense runs through there. This would help take pressure off McConnell.

Reactions: goru7
The excitement on this board is palpable LOL

Yeah yeah we need to replace Eugene...(hey Cory left,,,Cory who? BAC asks LOL)
IMO
Pike will upgrade every player we have....

I picture this...I am a blue chip player...I COULD play a bunch of places
I see the Miami away game(among others LOL)
then I see an explosive game/win at the RAC (!)
I see the new facilities
I meet GEO and the guys
I meet with the coaching staff
THEN I meet with Coach P...overflowing with ENTHUSIASM
throw in the fact I will be getting 4 years of a stellar education and
WHERE DO I SIGN!!!???????

Bottom line is
[thumb2][thumb2][thumb2]:pray::pray::basketball:I TRUST IN PIKE!:basketball: :pray::pray:[thumb2][thumb2][thumb2]

Recruiting is going to explode if we have a couple big upsets and exceed expectations. Who wouldn't want to play for Pike? The rest of the staff is top notch too. He can point to excellent player development and the group of guys are awesome people

Reactions: jonS and RUonBrain
Great post BAC. Do not underestimate BAC’s line about the lesson learned at closing out the Boston University game. Staying together and playing through adversity when your shooting is off is important especially for a young team.

Like Coach said after the game Defense travels.

BAC2THERAC: You mentioned that this isnt a complete team yet. What pieces or growth are needed to get there, and ultimately string one big game after another?

Reactions: bac2therac
What stood out to me most in watching last night's game ( and BAC briefly observed this as well) is that Rutgers looked to be as talented if not better than a very good Miami team and I never had the feeling that Rutgers would some how find a way to lose this game . They demonstrated a poise and confidence rarely seen with past teams. I can't say enough about two players who at the beginning of the season little was expected of them--Doorsen and Harper. Doorsen has been an amazing revelation. His 10 rebounds and box out at the end of the game on the missed 3 point shot were huge. And Harper! My God--it's hard to believe his poise and basketball smarts . No wonder he's one of the first guys off the bench and does a lot of the little things that contribute to team wins. Great find by Pike.

BAC2THERAC: You mentioned that this isnt a complete team yet. What pieces or growth are needed to get there, and ultimately string one big game after another?

Not bac but the team played exceptional offense but somewhat poor defense against Drexel and FDU. They played great to amazing defense with only okay offense against EMU, Boston U, and Miami. The threes haven't fallen the last two games but last night we did a good job inside the arc (over 50%). Against St. John's and Boston U we really struggled with that (40% and 38%), and against SJU there was some iffy defense... I didn't think it was THAT bad, I just thought the Johnnies hit everything.

Last night the defense was very good, and also Miami had an off night shooting the ball (the Lawrence 3-point attempt on the kickout near the end was wide open, and then Issa fell for a crossover at the very end when two points would have meant nothing and he just needed to lock down the line that resulted in an open, albeit off-balance, shot).

So we haven't yet had a game where we play the great defense of the last three games AND play a crisp offensive game. Against EMU we were over 40% on threes, but only 43% on twos and we turned it over 20 times.

There's still room to grow for this team. One game we're going to make 60% of our threes and beat somebody who only makes 25% of theirs. To get a win on the road against Miami without needing something like that to happen is very exciting.

I would not jump to the Cory who? conclusions. While he may not be missed as much from the scoring, we have very little depth at the point guard position. Expect every team, especially on the road to press. We need to find ways to keep Geo well rested..

We only lose Doorson and get Young Mulcahey and TBA. Next year we dance.

I think Harper is the best non Geo/EO option to create offense out there. He gets to the basket nicely while under control and can both finish at the rim and pass well. If Geo is ever out of the game I'd like to see Harper on the floor as the playmaker. Also would be a good time to try to get touches to Myles in the post and get a couple possessions where the offense runs through there. This would help take pressure off McConnell.
A key moving forward is getting some points from the center position.Rutgers won this game scoring only 57 points which against a steady diet of B1G competition probably won't be enough points to win games.On the other hand Rutgers might be following the Virginia model consistently winning low scoring games.

A key moving forward is getting some points from the center position.Rutgers won this game scoring only 57 points which against a steady diet of B1G competition probably won't be enough points to win games.On the other hand Rutgers might be following the Virginia model consistently winning low scoring games.

Agree, Myles has hit a lull since his great start. We could really use him step up some.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT