ADVERTISEMENT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

I understand the why of it and I get it, but I wish it always played in Philadelphia. 🤷‍♂️

(and by no means am i a fan of the city of brotherly love)

Reactions: Jimpeg
All the NIL stuff going on, Academy players can't go that way (as yet) since they are considered federal employees who all get paid around $1100 a month. However a good chunk of that goes to uniforms, laptops etc. Cadets pay around 5k for uniforms and such over their academy years. The capes that cadets wear are all leased and cadets pay for them. The coaches are paid for by alumni who control a lot of Army athletics while academies run the facilities. Of course academies ultimately control the show but the lines are kind of Byzantine. Our "heroes" at Yale have been trying to tinker around in that

Last edited:
All the NIL stuff going on, Academy players can't go that way (as yet) since they are considered federal employees who all get paid around $1100 a month. However a good chunk of that goes to uniforms, laptops etc. Cadets pay around 5k for uniforms and such over their academy years. The capes that cadets wear are all leased and cadets pay for them. The coaches are paid for by alumni who control a lot of Army athletics while academies run the facilities. Of course academies ultimately control the show but the lines are kind of Byzantine. Our heroes at Yale have been trying to tinker around in that

Never knew this. Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: ashokan
Why Philly ? Do you go to to it ?

I think it’s cool they move it around .
There's something to be said - STILL - for "tradition." 90 games have been played in Philly (most at JFK). It was originally held there as a "central" location between Annapolis and West Point (although New Brunswick would've been a lot more "central" I guess, lol.....). It's also pretty damn cool to see 100 or so busses, carrying the 4 classes of cadets, traveling down the NJTP!

*** although when played at Giants Stadium a few times it was, by far, the loudest you could hear the Cadets and Middies singing on TV. That stadium was "tight" and damn loud compared to The Vet, The Linc, Gillette and others.

From Buzz Aldrin, 1953 grad of USMA and the starting center for Montclair High School's undefeated 1946 state champion team.

SUPKZcQ.jpg

Reactions: RUTGERS95
There's something to be said - STILL - for "tradition." 90 games have been played in Philly (most at JFK). It was originally held there as a "central" location between Annapolis and West Point (although New Brunswick would've been a lot more "central" I guess, lol.....). It's also pretty damn cool to see 100 or so busses, carrying the 4 classes of cadets, traveling down the NJTP! *** although when played at Giants Stadium a few times it was, by far, the loudest you could hear the Cadets and Middies singing on TV. That stadium was "tight" and damn loud compared to The Vet, The Linc, Gillette and others.
My former Rutgers roommate took me to the Giants Stadium Army-Navy Game and it is definitely a superior and different experience than watching on TV.

The December 2, 1905 game was held at Princeton before 35,000 with President Theodore Roosevelt and former President Grover Cleveland in attendance.

The game this year is up here (in Massachusetts) at Foxboro. I told my wife that we should take the family and she tried, unsuccessfully, to get tickets. So, we'll watch it on tv.

One would think that the winner goes to a bowl. Does anyone know which bowl?

One would think that the winner goes to a bowl. Does anyone know which bowl?
Bowls are tough for Army because A) they only had five wins and B) as an independent they have no tie-ins. They can only get into a couple of bowls - Military being one but this year has Tulane and VTech. Armed Forces bowl can take Army but they already have AF v James Madison. Looks like no bowl for Army or Navy this year even with a 6th a win

Bowls are tough for Army because A) they only had five wins and B) as an independent they have no tie-ins. They can only get into a couple of bowls - Military being one but this year has Tulane and VTech. Armed Forces bowl can take Army but they already have AF v James Madison. Looks like no bowl for Army or Navy this year even with a 6th a win
Today is their bowl game! Winning today is 100,000 times bigger then some little known bowl game.
Army and or Navy both know to go to a bowl game they need 6 wins each year before today's to get into a bowl. Selection Sunday will always be before this game.

Last edited:
I understand the why of it and I get it, but I wish it always played in Philadelphia. 🤷‍♂️

(and by no means am i a fan of the city of brotherly love)
I get it too but don't like it either. At the same time I understand I've been spoiled living in the Philadelphia area. I've been to every Army Navy game in Philadelphia since 1988 when I moved here. I've been to two at the Meadowlands and four in Baltimore.
As always Go Navy Beat Army!!

Have 3 relatives that played for Navy and one who went to West Point during the lonesome end years. Saw countless games up there and always root for Army.

Don’t know about that call. Anyway, the game is in Foxboro this year. Have they built up the area around that stadium or is it still in the middle of nowhere? It has been a long time since I have been there.

Why did Navy coach go for 2 down 17-9?
Analytics play. Numbers say you’ll get the two point conversion on one of the two td’s you need. If you get it on the first, you increase chances of winning meaningfully.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT