ADVERTISEMENT

Good NJ.com story about Strong and Benjamin

Lanni is a good writer and big Rutgers guy.
There is nothing more I can say to an answer like that.

But please be honest next time nj.com is rallying the anti Rutgers NJ population and admit you support them. Because you are.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Probably a different site, he's unranked 2 star on rivals...he looks good, would like to see him run some routes though lol..
The podcast crew ( Richie Mike) talked about Strong and RS said he knew Strong was much better than a 2* …was pushing Rivals for at least a 3* ranking but no go. The kid is from what people see and know a very very good player. That’s good enough for me. A shame Brantley is being screwed over by the NCAA.

You seem so fragile
I've met him in person. He's not fragile.
Funny thing, many people on this board I have met that I thought (1) not sure I would like (2) worried they would take a swing at me when we met; all of them are super nice people in person, and we had a lot of laughs over various things, including things we may have argued about in the past on these boards. Funny thing that social media doe snot seem so social sometimes, but that evaporates in an old fashioned meetup, handshake, and sometimes a bro hug.

Not a bad debut for a true freshman.
2 receptions for 24 yards and 1 TD. pffffffffffffffffffft.

I don't want to jinx the fella, but there was a true freshman in 2006, and these were his first two games that showed stats:

Game 1: 2 receptions 13 yards, long 11 yards

Game 2: 2 receptions 82 yards, long of 74 yards, including a fumble and recovery on the 74 yarder (that's a giveaway). Winner gets to meet me in the Blue Lot for Temple Game, and I'll buy you a drink at @DJ Spanky or @MrsScrew 's tailgates. 😂

Reactions: Arizona Knight
This 2006 team was loaded at so many positions .How we did not go undefeated that year … here are several Wide Receivers : D. Campbell, K Britt, T . Underwood , T.Brown . J Townsend and several others can’t remember all. Still feel bad for James Townsend and the West Virginia dropped ball.

This 2006 team was loaded at so many positions .How we did not go undefeated that year … here are several Wide Receivers : D. Campbell, K Britt, T . Underwood , T.Brown . J Townsend and several others can’t remember all. Still feel bad for James Townsend and the West Virginia dropped ball.
I’ll go with Tiquan Underwood as the receiver with 2 for 82 yards in his 2nd game.

I don't want to jinx the fella, but there was a true freshman in 2006, and these were his first two games that showed stats:

Game 2: 2 receptions 82 yards, long of 74 yards, including a fumble and recovery on the 74 yarder (that's a giveaway). Winner gets to meet me in the Blue Lot for Temple Game, and I'll buy you a drink at @DJ Spanky or @MrsScrew 's tailgates. 😂
Kenny Britt?

I’ll go with Tiquan Underwood as the receiver with 2 for 82 yards in his 2nd game.
Billy won above, it was Kenny Britt. Now I need to check Ti's stats in games 1 and 2 (with receptions). Kenny may have started in games before UConn then Louisville, but the ESPN game log has stats for UConn then Louisville as his "first 2 games" with recorded stats.

Ti played in 2005, so that would eliminate him from the 2006 freshman criterion.
As a consolation prize, you get a bottle of water to bring into SHI stadium.

Didn’t realize Strong was the #1 recruit from NY.
I always thought RU could do better recruiting in NY.
A lot of the best RU players in Schiano era came from NY.

Football coaching in NY is not what it is in NJ.
As good as some NY players can be, I think some get even better once they get better coaching.
Butch Davis said he liked to look for players who were raw because a lot of the higher ranked players had good coaching at good schools and they came to college pretty much maxed-up.
He saw HS basketball players he thought would make good football players but they weren't ranked for football.

Locally we had a center on state champ BB team and he ended-up a 325 lb OT for Temple (and he got drafted by Miami).
Some 2* players in NY would be 3-4* at St Joes/Petes, Bergen and so on.
NY basketball coaching is good and talented players abound.
I would like to see some get cultivated for football

Coach Tomlin of the Steelers saw an Army player struggling to make Eagles as a DE.
When he was cut Tomlin told him he could be a good OL and he took him for Steelers.
2 years and 60 lbs later he was an All Pro for multiple years.
Good coaches see ability others might miss - then they know how to develop it

Reactions: BillyC80

I know you’re talking about Britt, but I would liken this situation more to Sanu. Sanu came in as a DB but converted to WR due to the need there.

• Love
Reactions: Knight Shift
I know you’re talking about Britt, but I would liken this situation more to Sanu. Sanu came in as a DB but converted to WR due to the need there.
That's a really good point. Strong's 2 catch performance last Sunday reminded me a bit of Britt's slow build in 2006 where he only had 2 catches in each of his first 2 games.
Sanu was quite active in his first true freshman game, where he caught 10 passes for 101 yards. That game featured two QBs for RU. Do you remember who they were?

After that first game for Sanu, he had only a couple of receptions in each of his next 4 games until another breakout performance against Pitt.

Reactions: thegock
The article was a great read. I was pretty pumped last year after beating Fredo to start the season, but I feel even better about the team's future this year - especially so with true freshmen making such big impacts on the game.

Reactions: BillyC80
That's a really good point. Strong's 2 catch performance last Sunday reminded me a bit of Britt's slow build in 2006 where he only had 2 catches in each of his first 2 games.
Sanu was quite active in his first true freshman game, where he caught 10 passes for 101 yards. That game featured two QBs for RU. Do you remember who they were?

After that first game for Sanu, he had only a couple of receptions in each of his next 4 games until another breakout performance against Pitt.
Dom Natale and Tom Savage?

Billy won above, it was Kenny Britt. Now I need to check Ti's stats in games 1 and 2 (with receptions). Kenny may have started in games before UConn then Louisville, but the ESPN game log has stats for UConn then Louisville as his "first 2 games" with recorded stats.

Ti played in 2005, so that would eliminate him from the 2006 freshman criterion.

I recall Britt recovering his own fumble right in front of our second row seats on the 25 (?) yard line. Key play on a long gainer.

• Love

Sanu flashed in the spring game. Everyone in the stands said who is that.

Well yes makes sense it was an either or on which one. Can’t imagine two NFL guys lining up at the wideouts…Two NFL RB’s lining up in the backfield.

Sanu flashed in the spring game. Everyone in the stands said who is that.
Anyone who watched the NJ vs NY football All Star game the summer before he arrived knoew Mo Sanu. The BEST player on the field by far . Throwing , running Mo was in a class by himself. Just a superior athlete at the time.Say what they may Schiano can judge pretty well.

Coach Tomlin of the Steelers saw an Army player struggling to make Eagles as a DE.
When he was cut Tomlin told him he could be a good OL and he took him for Steelers.
2 years and 60 lbs later he was an All Pro for multiple years.
Good coaches see ability others might miss - then they know how to develop it

Didn't he play some WR at West Point as well? All 6'10" of him.

Freshman gave it away
It was the fumble/recovery that clinched it for me. I’ll never forget his scamper down field, only to lose the ball and get it back again. Scary and exciting all at the same time. Thrilling for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT