ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Has "Significant" Demands

Just hire Butch already. He'll build the entire indoor practice facility - with his bare hands.. Brick. By. Brick
MeatyDevotedAustrianpinscher-size_restricted.gif

It is hard to imagine that Greg Brown wasn't at the meeting, or at least kept in the loop about Schiano's demands during it.

I was talking about 4Real stating you could “infer” that they didn’t shake hands.

Amazing how so many of you jump to conclusions on what the "demands" are. For all we know (or Politi for that mattre) maybe the demands were legit, like academic support or denying access to all NJ.COM reporters.
Newell138 meet sports forum fans, sports forum fans, Newell138:Wink:

Reactions: newell138
Sorry, sir. No egg on my face. I reported what I was told, and said that such information is always at risk of being wrong, like the Kyle Flood firing after the 2013 USF game.
You are angry because your man did not give you what you want, and you want to take it out on somebody.

huh? What are you talking about? Who is my man?

I forgive you. I get your board cred taking a hit.

According to Politi.

"meeting ended without any decision as officials grapple with what one person familiar with the discussions described as his “significant” demands."

Indoor practice facility speculated.

this thread should have ended right after your very first sentence!

"According to Politi."

Y’all are thinking about it...if anyone can screw this up it’s...(rhymes with “Rutger Hauer”)

It’s one hell of a way to celebrate the 150th day! I’ll say that about RU!

at the end of day, he needs to mandate that the school make an investment that matches the level of play demanded by the fans and the conference. A successful program does wonders for a schools prestige, admission, surrounding economies etc etc etc.. I don't have a problem with him demanding more but the level of what's demanded (which we don't know yet) should be scrutinized which is perfectly normal.

Reactions: bac2therac
Maryland has Ohio State Caliber facilities. Why shouldn’t we have the same? PSU is sinking another $70M into facilities that are better than ours. How is he supposed to recruit without an even playing field? How is he supposed to win with recruits that no one else wants? We’re either all in or out.

Who's paying for all of this in NJ? The state doesn't support RU FB, the unions steal half the money spent on construction. MD has UA, Pedd State has an entire state full of cult members, OSU is a top 5 program perennially. The fans don't donate worth a damn and hell the RU administration itself doesn't seem to care about RU FB.

You're not getting OSU or MD facilities here. Not for a long time at least.

Adam Gorney

✔@adamgorney

Haha forget it. Schiano making significant demands is such a joke. Just hire Butch Jones and be average with him instead of being average with Schiano. What exactly does Rutgers think it's going to do in same division as Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State and, oh yeah, Ohio St? https://twitter.com/CFTalk/status/1192127742248148997 …

CollegeFootballTalk

✔@CFTalk

Greg Schiano reportedly making 'significant demands' in Rutgers talks #collegefootball https://wp.me/p14QTT-1OGA

12:16 PM - Nov 6, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

See Adam Gorney's other Tweets

If RU were to take this kind of advice because they actually are like minded with this guy, they should just fold up the football program because there is no point to it.

We heard and read the same type of BS Greg's first go-round. Paterno advised him not to take the job because nobody can win there. How did that prediction play out?

Gorney's not an RU guy nor dose he understand recruiting in the local colloquialism that is NJ HS Football coaches. GS does understand that. NJ has some of the best HS football in the country, and there is only one D1 program here.

GS made some mistakes refusing to deal with the king makers in the HS football coaching ranks his first several years. He eventually made amends and fixed the problem. Ash never dealt with these guys on any level. The right guy should be able to compete with the top of the conference in time.

I am not a GS or bust guy, but accepting Adam Gormey's premise is a losers mentality.

Last edited:
Built the school on ancient Leni Lenape burial grounds.
Didn't they find remains of a Native American settlement when they were building the new Route 18 bridge over the Raritan to the Busch/Livingston campuses? You might be on to something.

Right, because it's an iron clad guarantee that Michigan State is going to be a "powerhouse" going forward. They aren't one right now.
To me OSU the class of the division currently..you take a step down from them and then those in that step down are possibly beatable depending on the year.

I don't think he'd be able to recruit anywhere near the level of Greg at Rutgers. And that's what we need, a big uptick in talent.

I'd much rather see funds put into getting the best staff possible. Neither Schiano nor Jones nor anyone else mentioned will be a guarantee of anything until their staff is known.

It seems clear that Schiano is demanding much more than replacing the bubble with a field house. The reason why those projects were so expensive at other schools is that they serve the role of the Hale Center + the bubble. Replacing the bubble alone with a nice indoor facility would be a fraction of the cost.

If Schiano needs full Hale Center tear down as a condition to coming back, that simply is not reasonable at this time.

I'd much rather see funds put into getting the best staff possible. Neither Schiano nor Jones nor anyone else mentioned will be a guarantee of anything until their staff is known.

It seems clear that Schiano is demanding much more than replacing the bubble with a field house. The reason why those projects were so expensive at other schools is that they serve the role of the Hale Center + the bubble. Replacing the bubble alone with a nice indoor facility would be a fraction of the cost.

If Schiano needs full Hale Center tear down as a condition to coming back, that simply is not reasonable at this time.

It's been reported that Schiano is "done with the Hale Center" and that "no successful program is using a facility that is 30 years old".

This seems kinda ridiculous. Is his expectation that Busch Campus become a perpetual construction zone?

I actually have somewhat the reverse opinion. I've mentioned Willie Fritz hire by Tulane here and how he was HC at small colleges where at one he even had to drive the bus. The new AD at Tulane had his eye on him earlier in his career at SHSU and when he got the job at Tulane he kept going back to Fritz in his mind. And one of the things he liked was that he knew there were limitations as to what Tulane could offer facility wise etc...but he knew coming from his background it likely wouldn't be a problem for Fritz and would find ways to make it work and be grateful for what he had and that's exactly what happened. No complaints but tried to get it done with what he had.

Will Hall his OC has mentioned similar, same from Matt Campbell, JasonCandle and their Mount Union bunch. They come from places that don't have a lot and don't complain about what they don't have but do what they can to make it work with what they do have. I posted Mike Leach tenet here....take as much as you can with what you got.

To me a school like us should focus on guys who live this theme and mantra. It doesn't mean we don't want more and wouldn't want better facilities and the rest but the focus has to be someone who has a chance to do more with less and is willing to as well. We're never going to be the big boys that's just the facts.
I have a two words for you. BIG TEN.

If any of you have switched jobs, you would know that your max negotiating power is right before you sign the contract.
It is best to aim high on the initial negotiation before accepting the job. It's much harder to negotiate once on the job.

I'm fine with Schiano aiming high. He should. As should we all.

If any of you have switched jobs, you would know that your max negotiating power is right before you sign the contract.
It is best to aim high on the initial negotiation before accepting the job. It's much harder to negotiate once on the job.

I'm fine with Schiano aiming high. He should. As should we all.

That's provided you have a job/other offers.

No other P5 program or similar is trying to hire Greg Schiano. He is currently unemployed.

This is Rutgers shit or get off the pot moment. A chance to go all in and do what it takes to conpete in big 10 athletics . If they decline and then hire lesser, make no mistake this school will continue to do the bare minimum while misleading a fanbase that gets duped into believing.

Critical moment here

Definitely a critical moment for a lot of fans I’m sure. If they hire Schiano I’ll go back to buying tickets. Butch Jones or some lesser guy.. pass

Reactions: bac2therac
That's provided you have a job/other offers.

No other P5 program or similar is trying to hire Greg Schiano. He is currently unemployed.

It doesn't matter. He doesn't need to work anymore...

It is a supply and demand issue. He knows his value to the fanbase. He should be prepared to walk away if he doesn't get what he wants.

The same think applies to any of us.

If you were financially secure enough to not need to work, you would pick and choose who you worked for and how you worked, on your terms...

It is an enviable position to be in to have "F*ck you money".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT