ADVERTISEMENT

Griffiths

Not yet. Some have posted that he hurt his ankle against MD. If so, he wasn’t list as Questionable or Out on the injury report. So, maybe we see him in the second half?

Could be one of those ‘coaches decision’ deals.

No

pike strategy was to run it down their throats

This was not our same strategy all year
I mean - yeah. Pike saw right away Michigan had no answer for Jeremiah. They couldn’t stop him in transition or dribble penetration. Best to run with guys who could keep pace because J will looks to pass.

But when jeremiah picked up 2 fouls, that style stopped working in a hurry. Pike went with and stuck with Oskar though. I’m not sure why.

So if we want to win by a lot dont play Gavin.

If we want the game to be closer play Gavin?
No. Tonight's starters presented optimum defensive matchups against Michigan. Had to get Cliff involved early and utilize drives to the hoop. Could not chance Michigan getting comfortable. When Gavin got in later in the game, it looked like we had some good ball movement. When Noah got in there, he was doing a good job being Mr PITA.

He certainly hasnt helped

There is a part of me that wonders what would have happened if pike hadnt force fed gavin minutes

When did that happen? He only played double digit minutes in 9 B1G games and we went 3-6. If you throw out the Purdue games, we went 3-4. But yeah sure we lost because of Gavin. Haha

When did that happen? He only played double digit minutes in 9 B1G games and we went 3-6. If you throw out the Purdue games, we went 3-4. But yeah sure we lost because of Gavin. Haha
1. You have no idea how the team would if his minutes went elsewhere

2. Based on him getting freezed out it tells you what the players think about him playing. Chemisrty is better without him. That is an indictment on his teamnates for sure

I cant help but think what if austin plays instead of gavin against NW. instead of being down 16 what if it is only 10. Maybe we dont have to play guys so nany minutes and we have legs in our losing streak

People are sugar coating. He has been Dreadful. Lately any stretch where he has made plays he has given it back and more on the other end.

It isnt right for him to have a string as long as he has had of being bad as still pkay when guys on tge bench ate better. It is terrible for morale

• Angry
Reactions: bac2therac
Michigan is real bad, but in a game where Gavin is finally out of the rotation and we win by 30+ points is the wrong time to question why Gavin isnt playing

Reactions: kcg88
oskar has been much better this season than gavin. Not even close.

Oskar works harder and is more physical and has teammates respect.
Gavin is a rookie. He has to earn his minutes and earn his shots. Fans should have never bought into the prophecy that he would be a starter from Day 1.

Reactions: cshelley
Michigan is real bad, but in a game where Gavin is finally out of the rotation and we win by 30+ points is the wrong time to question why Gavin isnt playing
Stop…., saying we won by 30 because Gavin only played 11 minutes could possibly be one of the more ridiculous things I’ve read on here. We started the game 7-7 2-2 from three Jeremiah Williams could not be stopped- we had balls falling into our hands and got wide open baskets when they should have been turnovers. The basketball gods were on our side tonight. The fact that GG played less time had absolutely nothing to do with it. You sound silly.

Stop…., saying we won by 30 because Gavin only played 11 minutes could possibly be one of the more ridiculous things I’ve read on here. We started the game 7-7 2-2 from three Jeremiah Williams could not be stopped- we had balls falling into our hands and got wide open baskets when they should have been turnovers. The basketball gods were on our side tonight. The fact that GG played less time had absolutely nothing to do with it. You sound silly.

He has this strange anti-Gavin agenda

His post is a perfect example of confirmation bias.

Just put that guy on ignore like I did. Every reply I see to his posts is always yelling at him lol … more confirmation for doing if

1. You have no idea how the team would if his minutes went elsewhere

2. Based on him getting freezed out it tells you what the players think about him playing. Chemisrty is better without him. That is an indictment on his teamnates for sure

I cant help but think what if austin plays instead of gavin against NW. instead of being down 16 what if it is only 10. Maybe we dont have to play guys so nany minutes and we have legs in our losing streak

People are sugar coating. He has been Dreadful. Lately any stretch where he has made plays he has given it back and more on the other end.

It isnt right for him to have a string as long as he has had of being bad as still pkay when guys on tge bench ate better. It is terrible for morale
You are CLUELESS

Just put that guy on ignore like I did. Every reply I see to his posts is always yelling at him lol … more confirmation for doing if

we played 3 walk ons l. every time we play 3 walk ons it’s a blow out. therefore playing 3 walk ons results in a blow out . Thus we need to keep playing 3 walk ons.

Only slightly less stupid then his comment

30 pt win and we had a guy give us 30 minutes while bricking his way to 1-7. Yeah, there were plenty of minutes available for other guys, including Gavin.
This. Really puzzled by the logic of FIG and bac

So Gavin is allowed to be in the rotation in closer games and losses but relegated to 10th man in a blowout win bc we can't risk him getting a few minutes? But Simpson OK to play 30 stinking it up only making 1 bucket a gift dunk that fell in his lap

Just an odd perspective IMO

Gavin 161.8 offensive rating. 32% DREB was actually even higher than Cliff in limited time. Gets a WIDE open 3 he easily drained. Potentially could have been a confidence builder with some more minutes tonight with near zero risk of a loss even if he played poorly

The thought he couldn't handle the pace of the game seems silly to me. I think Gavin is pretty obviously better suited for that type of game where it's spread out and faster paced. He certainly hasn't thrived in the half court. Transition open 3's are more readily available compared to our half court offense that doesn't get him open looks. Gavin has straight line speed to run the floor as well

this is a bizarre thread to focus on GG as the reason we blew out a shit team that plays no defense

we won tonight because of Pike strategy and gameprep

the team was executing it so well for most of the first half that no change was needed
You tend to over credit Pike in wins and over blame him in losses

It's not just you but most of the board. If we shoot well Pike did some amazing job. If we shoot terrible it's Pike doesn't run any offense. It's basically guaranteed every game with these types of posts based on results

Not saying Pike didn't have a good game but making or missing shots is credited or blamed on coaching to a degree that is almost cartoonish at times

I said a game where we win by 30+ points isnt a game where we should be questioning gavin being out of rotation

That is not saying we won by 30 because gavin didnt play

Anyone that doesnt agree or see the following isnt being honest with themselves

1. Gavin has been real bad this year
2. Certain multiple teammates are not passing to him
3. It isnt good for morale to give him minutes over others as he hasnt earned them

Reactions: FerrisBuellerrrrr
30 pt win and we had a guy give us 30 minutes while bricking his way to 1-7. Yeah, there were plenty of minutes available for other guys, including Gavin.

You cannot compare Derek’s PT to Gavin’s on this roster - it’s apples and oranges. (Not just Gavin - the same applies to other bench players). I don’t know where Derek does or doesn’t fit in next season (that’s a different conversation) but regardless of his shooting, he belongs on the court for a large chunk of minutes right now to give us the best chance possible to win in pretty much every game situation we’re going to encounter. That’s true even when he goes 1 for 7, and makes selfish decisions unfortunately.

1) Whether you like it or not, this team’s best chance of winning is on defense - our D is at its best with Derek on the floor. Hence why he starts.

2) Derek is also the best (steadiest) pure ball handler on the team. It’s not all that close. Pike tried to sit him late in the first half and had to put him back in when Michigan pressed and JW was in foul trouble.

Last edited:
I said a game where we win by 30+ points isnt a game where we should be questioning gavin being out of rotation

That is not saying we won by 30 because gavin didnt play

You make no sense.

You’ve been all over Gavin . Trying to make the point that pike playing him “too much” somehow is part of the reason for losses.

If that were true. If you were right - Wouldn’t a 30 point blowout be the one time that player like gavin SHOULD get extended minutes ?!? I mean it’s not like his presence is going to result in a loss

…and yes you were trying to imply that part of the reason for the 30 point win was because Gavin played limited time. It’s entirely consistent with other posts you’ve made about him. But nice try at back tracking after others mocked the absurdity of it

Reactions: TRU2RU and DC8690
Anyone that doesnt agree or see the following isnt being honest with themselves

1. Gavin has been real bad this year
2. Certain multiple teammates are not passing to him
3. It isnt good for morale to give him minutes over others as he hasnt earned them

1. He has underperformed for sure compared to expectations. He absolutely was real bad early on but has improved in various aspects as the season has gone on. But yes still well under expectations

2. True. Neither you nor I know why. My guess - he does still force up some shots (not as badly as earlier on)

3. You have absolutely no idea if this comment is true. No idea. The fans certainly get very excited when he does something well (like when he made the 3). Why wouldn’t his teammates be similarly behind him? If anything his teammates would be even more supportive since they know him on a personal level and presumably have seen what he is capable of in practice. In fact the only reports I have heard is how well he gets along with teammates. You have ZERO KNOWLEDGE on the morale thing. ZERO. We have heard nothing to support your comment - complete conjecture - you’re simply talking out of your ass on this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRU2RU and Scangg
Developing Gavin should be a priority because this year doesn't matter. The #1 goal for the program should be getting rdy to have 5 stars reach the team and have other players who have experience around them.

This. Really puzzled by the logic of FIG and bac

So Gavin is allowed to be in the rotation in closer games and losses but relegated to 10th man in a blowout win bc we can't risk him getting a few minutes? But Simpson OK to play 30 stinking it up only making 1 bucket a gift dunk that fell in his lap

Just an odd perspective IMO

Gavin 161.8 offensive rating. 32% DREB was actually even higher than Cliff in limited time. Gets a WIDE open 3 he easily drained. Potentially could have been a confidence builder with some more minutes tonight with near zero risk of a loss even if he played poorly

The thought he couldn't handle the pace of the game seems silly to me. I think Gavin is pretty obviously better suited for that type of game where it's spread out and faster paced. He certainly hasn't thrived in the half court. Transition open 3's are more readily available compared to our half court offense that doesn't get him open looks. Gavin has straight line speed to run the floor as well

I don’t think that’s what they are saying. Gavin wasn’t going to be starting. He never does, right? Nothing new.

When the game started Pike saw immediately that In this game, J William’s could have his way beating Michigan’s players off the dribble. Once this was established - it freed up opportunities to find Cliff under the basket either for assisted dunks or in position to take a few dribbles and make a play at the basket with limited contest. The stat book assist numbers really understate J William’s impact on Cliff’s success in this game. But nevermind that - Pike knew an easy path to a W was A) an offensive focus of - 1) J Will iso threat option 1. 2) When Michigan over compensates to prevent J Williams penetration - exploit it by finding Cliff open. And B) otherwise go with our best defensive line up / ball handlers to prevent turnovers. To break open the game - the last thing he wanted was a 3 point shooter like Gavin trying to find his stroke instead of sticking to blueprint A1 and 2. I imagine that was BAC’s point and nothing more by our strategy.

When J Williams picked up his second foul, Pike chose to try and run with Noah, Austin and Oskar and slow things down to ride out the half - our 3 best statistical shooters. He was forced to put Derek back in at one point because we couldn’t handle Michigan’s pressure without J Will (Davis and Noah are shakier ball handlers than J Will and Derek). This wasn’t something Gavin could help with though so let’s be clear - Austin and Noah filled a need at that point with the other guards on the bench that Gavin isn’t suited to assist with.

Perhaps Pike could’ve gone with Gavin instead of Oskar at that point but Cliff was out and it was already a small line up. Oskar is a bigger (physically) body. We also weren’t looking for quick shots at that point to get Gavin’s motor going. Pike wanted to preserve the lead. It didn’t work out that way as Michigan went on a 10-0 run but that’s probably what he was thinking.

Last edited:
You make no sense.

You’ve been all over Gavin . Trying to make the point that pike playing him “too much” somehow is part of the reason for losses.

If that were true. If you were right - Wouldn’t a 30 point blowout be the one time that player like gavin SHOULD get extended minutes ?!? I mean it’s not like his presence is going to result in a loss

…and yes you were trying to imply that part of the reason for the 30 point win was because Gavin played limited time. It’s entirely consistent with other posts you’ve made about him. But nice try at back tracking after others mocked the absurdity of it

No - in this instant that’s not what he said. He commented that it’s a weird game to complain about Gavin (but really you could fill in the blank and say any player) not getting enough PT. His only point was that when you win by 30, the substitution patterns were clearly successful on that given day.

• Love
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT