ADVERTISEMENT

Haters

so the players , coaches and families don't see or read the garbage? if they mean nothing why post the crap

I don't know. Not really my problem though.
Do people think "I'm not going to bash QuantumMania because Paul Rudd and his family might read my tweet"?
Maybe. I have no idea because I don't tweet or post on Facebook.

Why post anything on here?
Why watch TV?
Why play video games?
Why even watch Rutgers sports?

It's all the same for me - to waste time between work and running.
It's certainly not "I'm going to change people's mind and I won't stop until I do."

On that note - snow is mostly melted on streets/sidewalks around here so going out for a run.

Reactions: Fat Koko
Trying to rationalize behavior where one tears down the players on a sports forum as just "caring too much" is like telling a jury that murdering one's wife wasn't actual murder because it was just caring too much about her to let her live after she cheated.

"I cared so much I had to kill her." Not guilty!

"I care so much about our team, I had no choice but to say Caleb sucked more than all other players in the Big Ten combined!." What a great fan. 🤣

The failure of the analogy starts by not understanding what it is that the angry fan "cares too much" about. The fan cares too much about the outcome of the game not about Caleb McConnell. They lash out at Caleb McConnell for supposedly ****ing up the game outcome that they care too much about.

Why are those that post the negative attacks so sensitive to criticism? Take it like a man and embrace the list that was posted . (unless you're a bit ashamed, it's only a message board)

Why are those that post the negative attacks so sensitive to criticism? Take it like a man and embrace the list that was posted . (unless you're a bit ashamed, it's only a message board)
I have the happy distinction of not having posted in the game thread until after the game was over.

I have the unhappy distinction of, for some reason, enjoying debates about what constitutes acceptable conduct on a message board.

More than 120 posts in this thread in less than six hours. Impressive.

May I suggest that the OP start the same thread after the Minnesota game?

Will be interesting to see if the game thread perps back off from some of the most egregious comments, or whether they double down with more vitriol towards our players and coaching staff?

Hate the sin not the sinner haha. While I do bitch about the team or individual plays or effort by individuals I do not agree with saying player x sucks or I wish player x was gone. Things like that to me are not appropriate.

There is an irony to that 66.

It IS a comparison. You just misunderstand what is meant by comparison. It doesn't mean that I think that you think the actions are equally bad.

It's just, in this case, the actions are SO far apart as to render the analogy kind of meaningless, IMO.
More deflection (and still semantically incorrect).

Point is that, in both cases, the argument "I cared too much" is not a valid excuse for behaving poorly. A point too undeniable for anyone to attempt to oppose. Thus the deflection.

If you found my earlier analogy problematic due to proportional incongruity, then you'd hate my frequent use of both fishing boats and aircraft carriers in analogies intended to highlight proportional inappropriateness.

Hate the sin not the sinner haha. While I do bitch about the team or individual plays or effort by individuals I do not agree with saying player x sucks or I wish player x was gone. Things like that to me are not appropriate.
I’ve never said a player sucks in my life and never question effort, I believe every player is giving their best.
If I’m my eyes they happen to be playing poorly I have no problem saying “ get him the F out Pike”

What was the ML and how much did the guy win who bet us when down 15?

More deflection (and still semantically incorrect).

Point is that, in both cases, the argument "I cared too much" is not a valid excuse for behaving poorly. A point too undeniable for anyone to attempt to oppose. Thus the deflection.

If you found my earlier analogy problematic due to proportional incongruity, then you'd hate my frequent use of both fishing boats and aircraft carriers in analogies intended to highlight proportional inappropriateness.
Oh.

Who said anything about a valid excuse? It's just an explanation.

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
The failure of the analogy starts by not understanding what it is that the angry fan "cares too much" about. The fan cares too much about the outcome of the game not about Caleb McConnell. They lash out at Caleb McConnell for supposedly ****ing up the game outcome that they care too much about.
It doesn't matter what the fan cares too much about, caring too much is still not a valid excuse for poor fan behavior. Just as caring too much is not a valid excuse for perpetrating a violent crime.

Or, in the interests of further leveraging proportional inappropriateness to make a point, a fan claiming to care too much about a game result is no more a valid excuse for bashing Caleb than Stalin's caring too much for his country was a valid excuse for him to order the Great Purge. 😉

This is dumber than like 99% of the game thread. Yes, posting "Caleb sucks" and, um, murder are very similar actions that should be viewed through the same lens.

Pretty good. Just enjoying how ypu don't seem to see the irony of, for example, spending tens of posts trying to convince people that complaining about refs "accomplishes nothing" :)
Glad you said it.
Could be worst analogy in the history of analogy

This post is exactly why this thread is a waste of time.
Gotta ask...what does calling it shit on a message board accomplish? Being an angry dbag is a really bad look. Doubling down on it by saying that being nice is crap, is almost unbelievable. Almost.
Well you could argue we are a great fanbase because we aren’t sycophants. We call it like we see it. In true NY big city fashion

I don’t read the game threads so while the majority of you may not step over the line I think we are discussing those that do. I don’t post negative comments but I get frustrated over bad shot selection, turnovers, etc just like you do. That has nothing to do with the OP’s point and my comments. The coaches hold these kids accountable for boneheaded plays. You see that.

As much as I liked you as a Baseball player, this is a much more difficult sport and there are so many more mistakes made in this game. Imagine even a pee wee baseball team making 19 errors in a game? So many more moving parts. Guys are defending you and if allowed physically forcing those errors. Baseball is a game of stats and there is so little action going on. It’s a great game but completely different.
Let’s be honest —- the greatest baseball player ever was morbidly obese. There, I said it.

A lot of complaining about the game thread here, but few suggestions on how to fix it. You want it to be different? Go in there and spread positivity. Everyone who hates the awful hate in those things, go overwhelm it with love. Otherwise, you're wasting your time worrying about it.
Many on here have done exactly that. Many on here gave tried to explain you can criticize all you want but try to be an adult about how you express it.
Many on here just out and out ignore comments that are meant as suggestions on how to tone down their comments.
I think how things are worded is the biggest reason why some of us get bent out of shape, not the criticism itself
Tough to carry on a decent discussion with posters like that

Reactions: red sail
main-qimg-8262c0a6474db5c6a34f177d135b835a-lq

Babe looked like this for the great majority of his career.
He looked exactly like Willie Stargell…
Great outfielder with a great arm as well… try again
Morbidly obese…not.

Last edited:
lg09h4.jpg

Gehrig in my book is the greatest ever.
He’s also obese as you can see and never missed a game in 12 years

Last edited:
Why no pics of my Mets Zap. I heard Jay Peyton was so ripped he got injured a lot because of it. My best ever was Willie Mays and he was pretty ripped as a young player and probably always in great shape.

Why no pics of my Mets Zap. I heard Jay Peyton was so ripped he got injured a lot because of it. My best ever was Willie Mays and he was pretty ripped as a young player and probably always in great shape.
Ripped as a young player?
I got to know him well at 40 when he was traded to the Mets….he was built like a Brick shit house.
Same goes for the Mick, Joe D and my dad, whose wrists and forearms were Ape like

Glad you said it.
Could be worst analogy in the history of analogy
It was great analogy that employed a well understood technique to illustrate the ridiculousness of a particular argument through hyperbole.

Try to keep up. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: red sail
all we have to realize is
200w.webp

but sometimes when seeing someone complain about how the game is going
we must admit to that person
nods-yes.gif

Last edited:
It was great analogy that employed a well understood technique to illustrate the ridiculousness of a particular argument through hyperbole.

Try to keep up. 😉
When the consequences of a particular action are not proportionate or hyperbolic then the analogy is a complete fail. You can try to use intellectualization, devaluation & rationalizations all you want but it's a fail.
A. Message board "acting out" or devaluations/criticism in the name of love of the team is bad behavior. (So you assert). My claim is that it is not necessarily acting out but abreaction and relatively harmless.
B. Committing murder in the name of love is bad behavior.

You apply your own particular set of morality, ethics & standards for what you consider to be acting out & bad behavior on a message board for selection A.

B. Most would agree that murder is not an acceptable form of acting out in the name of love.
Try to keep up 😉

Ps - in the aftermath of such a comeback and win, it turns out that some of the harshest & and most ridiculous comments are some of the funniest since they are such bad takes.

Last edited:
Lost 4 of 5 and immediately went down 15. Climbed up to 19 after half time.

Or are we ignoring context?

Reactions: bac2therac
This thread, however, is absolutely spot on and if it's okay for fans to bash the players, then it's okay for for adult fans to bash the out of control children fans.

Fair is fair.
But they don't like it (whiny baby voice).

Last edited:
Reactions: mildone
Caleb won the game along with a few others The announcer was right but he is also a tool for saying it. The other announcer said Pickett scores 0 points when Caleb was on him. Caleb owns Pickett.
Yup, I still cringe when he takes a 3.

Nothing at all wrong with constructive criticism (not that most of us fans have any clue what we're talking about, but that's okay, it's part of being fans). Yelling at the TV or thinking, "c'mon man, move the ball and use the clock here" is perfectly good fan stuff.

OTOH, yelling or posting "caleb sucks" or "caleb should never play again" is not good fan stuff. It's being an out of control asshole.

People can do what they want. And we can all be assholes sometimes. But for the folks who tear down the players and then refuse to admit that they're engaging in asshole behavior is where it gets too stupid to let go.
Good stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT