ADVERTISEMENT

Hats off to Hafley

Bc should have beaten florida state yesterday . But they imploded with a bunch of penalties, including a face mask when they would have gotten the ball back down 2 . Halfey made some head scratching game management decisions . But they still should have won .
BC had a nice honor/remembrance of 9/11 too

Close but no cigar, the OP will probably celebrate a close loss to FSU as some sort of accomplishment, while never having a kind word for RU's coach.
4-11 over the last 2 seasons, and 4-13 in the weak ACC over the last 3 seasons. Hats off!!

To play devils advocate, people still bring up “we were beating Michigan at halftime last year” for a game we ultimately lost 52-17 at home.

There is a lot of celebrating losses as accomplishments

Reactions: Zimm80
Close but no cigar, the OP will probably celebrate a close loss to FSU as some sort of accomplishment, while never having a kind word for RU's coach.
4-11 over the last 2 seasons, and 4-13 in the weak ACC over the last 3 seasons. Hats off!!

Perhaps what we need is a separate stand alone running string of comparative analysis for the universe of realistic coach options for RU in 2019. That would resolve the clutter of back and forth in other discussions (at least reduce my temptation to counter those moronic posts there). And show our guy is on track - at least right now… One update a week based on outcomes - like the NET updates for BB. Just let the stats speak out. Whoever doesn’t care can just stay out of that string.

Hafley, Mike Houston, Liepold - who else was in that mix?

To play devils advocate, people still bring up “we were beating Michigan at halftime last year” for a game we ultimately lost 52-17 at home.

There is a lot of celebrating losses as accomplishments
Not the point. Stop turning everything around on Rutgers. We need fans to stop lovingly gushing over non-accomplishments of other teams and coaches. But if they want to denigrate anything Rutgers does, that's in keeping with their agenda/narrative. You are not in that camp.

Nebraska beat Northern Illinois 35-11

BC lost to them in OT

But they did have that big 3 point win over in state rival Holy Cross.

Hats off to Hafley! Definitely better than blowing out 3 FBS programs right?

Reactions: Virginiarufan
If it doesn't get better----and IMO it won't-----he won't be there next season.

If it doesn't get better----and IMO it won't-----he won't be there next season.
He gets at least one more year. BC doesn’t like eating contracts

Campbell Director of Athletics Pat Kraft announced today that Boston Collegehas extended the contract of head football coach Jeff Hafley through the 2026 season. "Jeff has had a tremendous impact on our football program over just two seasons at the Heights," said Kraft.

"Said Kraft" trying to maintain recruiting.
They don’t have to release contract details but it was a 5 year extension, that’s more than they do for recruiting stability

Campbell Director of Athletics Pat Kraft announced today that Boston Collegehas extended the contract of head football coach Jeff Hafley through the 2026 season. "Jeff has had a tremendous impact on our football program over just two seasons at the Heights," said Kraft.
wasn't that in 2021 ??

Not the point. Stop turning everything around on Rutgers. We need fans to stop lovingly gushing over non-accomplishments of other teams and coaches. But if they want to denigrate anything Rutgers does, that's in keeping with their agenda/narrative. You are not in that camp

Yes - To try to reduce (or at least consolidate) the noise, I’m going to attempt to put together a stock tracker for the pool of 2019 coach prospects (resume since GS 2.0) before next weeks game.

Schiano, Leipold, Houston, Hafley, Morehead, Butch Jones, Jason Candle, Jeff Monken, Fritz

Am I missing anyone obvious? I suspect the side by side review of the past 3+ years isn’t going to highlight anyone who would clearly have Rutgers in a materially better position right now. Some could have arguably led us down a much darker path.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Yes - To try to reduce (or at least consolidate) the noise, I’m going to attempt to put together a stock tracker for the pool of 2019 coach prospects (resume since GS 2.0) before next weeks game.

Schiano, Leipold, Houston, Hafley, Morehead, Butch Jones, Jason Candle, Jeff Monken, Fritz

Am I missing anyone obvious? I suspect the side by side review of the past 3+ years isn’t going to highlight anyone who would clearly have Rutgers in a materially better position right now. Some could have arguably led us down a much darker path.
That seems about right, unless you want to add Bielema in there, who was arguably the runner up in case Greg did not come through?

Of all of them, Leipold has the best resume, IMO, and he seems to be on track. But would he have been a better longer term answer for Rutgers? That's not easily answered and would be subject to debate and speculation. We also need to see how the rest of this season plays out for Rutgers. Signs of improvement are there, but now we enter the tough part of our schedule, except for next weekend.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
That seems about right, unless you want to Bielema in there, who was arguably the runner up in case Greg did not come through?

Of all of them, Leipold has the best resume, IMO, and he seems to be on track. But would he have been a better longer term answer for Rutgers? That's not easily answered and would be subject to debate and speculation. We also need to see how the rest of this season plays out for Rutgers. Signs of improvement are there, but now we enter the tough part of our schedule, except for next weekend.
Bielema should be in there. I’ll include him.

That seems about right, unless you want to add Bielema in there, who was arguably the runner up in case Greg did not come through?

Some of us wanted urban Meyer . He would have won big here .

I wanted Meyer , but rutgers was wasn’t a buyer !

• Haha

Don't bother with Monken. Excellent coach. Perfect for a service academy. Not a fit at Rutgers

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
That seems about right, unless you want to Bielema in there, who was arguably the runner up in case Greg did not come through?

Absolutely right. But since there’s no way to know that, I think a side by side might put the reality of college football ups and downs everywhere in perspective. Based on last season, for example, Fritz would make for a great flavor of the moment wouldn’t he? Until you realize that any argument for him just feeds support for Al’s thread on the next few years being free - Tulane went 2-10 in Fritz’s 6th year at Tulane before turning things around in year 7 - didn’t get fired.

In Leipold’s case - yes, he had a nice season last year but he still only won 6 games to show for it and our fans are calling him a miracle worker. They ought to win more games this year based on their schedule. Oklahoma St, Iowa St, Cincy, Texas Tech all have bad losses already. UCF isn’t very good either.

Jedd Fisch

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Jedd Fisch

I don’t remember his name being thrown around much? Realistically, most of our fans realized it wasn’t in the cards to take another chance on someone without prior head coaching experience who didn’t have direct ties to Rutgers (Hafley, Campanile, etc.)

Only tracking active FBS coach resumes, by the way. No Princeton as success there doesn’t mean anything on a relative basis.

Not the point. Stop turning everything around on Rutgers. We need fans to stop lovingly gushing over non-accomplishments of other teams and coaches. But if they want to denigrate anything Rutgers does, that's in keeping with their agenda/narrative. You are not in that camp.

Good points. I'm at the other end and completely unware of what other teams or coaches are accomplishing.

I could barely name the Big Ten coaches off the top of my head!
Actually this fun now - let me try)
(Note - this list has sadly taken me over a day to come up with)

Day OSU
PSU Franklin
Harbaugh UM
Nebraska - not Frost (he got fired weeks early for an extra $15m in donor funds that nobody complains about)
Maryland - some recruiter guy, is the same HC from when the video guy died?
Wisconsin - some new guy because they hired the new air raid OC (who I also can't name).
Purdue - one of the Brohms but not the QB (he's OC maybe?)
Lovie Smith Illinois (still?)
Minnesota row the boat guy but his name escapes me - former RU guy

Les Miles isn't still at Kansas right? I remember that was a big deal.
Dino Syracuse
UConn Mora
BC Hafley (100% because of this thread)
Temple is not the Miami DC guy (Diaz?). He left quickly.

• Haha
Agreed. Why wouldn’t we root for Flood? He was a guy who got in over his head but he gave his all to Rutgers when he was here. He wasn’t all bad as a HC - as he still owns the 8-5 inaugural season in the BIG on his resume.
This I have to disagree with. He did not give his all. It was reported he was the 1st one out of the building and many times left his assistants to game plan with no guidance on what the overall strategy was to be. Instead he went to Counting Crows concerts. He pissed off the best OC we had in Ralph Friedgen that he even alluded to this being one of the main reasons for his departure. He couldn't work for someone who didn't put in the same effort. He was lazy and liked the idea of being called Head Coach but did not like the work involved to be one.

Not sure if this has been mention at all because I haven't gone back in this thread - but interesting to note that former Rutgers QB Steve Shimko is in his first year as OC up there at BC.

This I have to disagree with. He did not give his all. It was reported he was the 1st one out of the building and many times left his assistants to game plan with no guidance on what the overall strategy was to be. Instead he went to Counting Crows concerts. He pissed off the best OC we had in Ralph Friedgen that he even alluded to this being one of the main reasons for his departure. He couldn't work for someone who didn't put in the same effort. He was lazy and liked the idea of being called Head Coach but did not like the work involved to be one.

That could be true I guess. I don’t remember talk about these things being mentioned while he was coach. What I meant was he felt to me like a Rutgers guy through and through while he was here - he didn’t treat it as a stepping stone to move on like Ash did. He carried on most of the GS 1.0 traditions like awards, which were wiped out when Ash came on board. He was a pretty good game day coach and did a good job developing under recruited guys like Paul James and Burton.

The overall extent of the poor state of the program when he left was grossly exaggerated by nj.com and other media outlets. Sure - we were on a downturn but we were one year away from an 8 win season, won 4 games and could’ve won more of a few calls had gone out way. Defensive backcourt wiped out but the frosh had stepped up and were showing some promise for future. Things weren’t great but they were nowhere near the rock bottom of 2019 even with the scandal stuff. We were in a position where we could’ve landed an up and coming G5 head coach at that time. Instead we rolled the dice with someone who had never been a head coach and had no ties to NJ. We got burned but the narrative that Flood left us in such a bad position that Ash was all we could get is not true.

Reactions: new jersey1
That could be true I guess. I don’t remember talk about these things being mentioned while he was coach. What I meant was he felt to me like a Rutgers guy through and through while he was here - he didn’t treat it as a stepping stone to move on like Ash did. He carried on most of the GS 1.0 traditions like awards, which were wiped out when Ash came on board. He was a pretty good game day coach and did a good job developing under recruited guys like Paul James and Burton.

The overall extent of the poor state of the program when he left was grossly exaggerated by nj.com and other media outlets. Sure - we were on a downturn but we were one year away from an 8 win season, won 4 games and could’ve won more of a few calls had gone out way. Defensive backcourt wiped out but the frosh had stepped up and were showing some promise for future. Things weren’t great but they were nowhere near the rock bottom of 2019 even with the scandal stuff. We were in a position where we could’ve landed an up and coming G5 head coach at that time. Instead we rolled the dice with someone who had never been a head coach and had no ties to NJ. We got burned but the narrative that Flood left us in such a bad position that Ash was all we could get is not true.
Still mad at pat hobbs for the ash hire

Where does this info come from?? I never heard this nonsense and would have if true.

Were the Pittsburgh and Cuse coaches considered?

Where does this info come from?? I never heard this nonsense and would have if true.
There is some truth there. Not sure about the part about Friedgen not coming back- he said he was getting too old to continue in an active role.

"I would like to say a year ago I came here and really didn't know anybody, and the Rutgers family from Coach Flood to the assistant coaches to the players to the graduate assistants, the fans, it's just been really an unbelievable experience, and I've enjoyed every moment of it,'' said Friedgen, who was named special adviser to the head coach by Flood. "I've enjoyed working with some really great kids. It's been some of the best of my whole career. I'm surely going to miss that. Same as the coaches; some really, really fantastic coaches here, and Ben is very, very capable of being an outstanding offensive coordinator. I have no hesitation in knowing that he'll carry on and do a great job.''

"But there's a lot of things I won't miss, either. I think it's time for me to smell the roses, and what Coach Flood has given me an opportunity to do ,which I think is very unique, is still be in a support role and be able to contribute to Rutgers football, which has been unbelievably good to me, and still be able to do the things that I want to do, and I feel very fortunate that I have that opportunity.''

As to the leaving early, etc. the whispers were there. And there was the infamous Counting Crows concert incident. Perhaps he should have been working more on the opening of the season and game planning?

We'll see-------I don't see anything for them but another 3 win season and I don't see how you sell that to recruits or your fan base.

We'll see

There is some truth there. Not sure about the part about Friedgen not coming back- he said he was getting too old to continue in an active role.

"I would like to say a year ago I came here and really didn't know anybody, and the Rutgers family from Coach Flood to the assistant coaches to the players to the graduate assistants, the fans, it's just been really an unbelievable experience, and I've enjoyed every moment of it,'' said Friedgen, who was named special adviser to the head coach by Flood. "I've enjoyed working with some really great kids. It's been some of the best of my whole career. I'm surely going to miss that. Same as the coaches; some really, really fantastic coaches here, and Ben is very, very capable of being an outstanding offensive coordinator. I have no hesitation in knowing that he'll carry on and do a great job.''

"But there's a lot of things I won't miss, either. I think it's time for me to smell the roses, and what Coach Flood has given me an opportunity to do ,which I think is very unique, is still be in a support role and be able to contribute to Rutgers football, which has been unbelievably good to me, and still be able to do the things that I want to do, and I feel very fortunate that I have that opportunity.''

As to the leaving early, etc. the whispers were there. And there was the infamous Counting Crows concert incident. Perhaps he should have been working more on the opening of the season and game planning?

Friedgen claims are true. Know someone that played, coached under him and still in contact. Friedgen was defacto the head coach. He didn’t sign on to be putting in more time and effort than the new head coach. The staff would come to him to assist with decisions on both sides of the ball because Flood wasn’t in the building.

We'll see-------I don't see anything for them but another 3 win season and I don't see how you sell that to recruits or your fan base.

We'll see
You are 100% correct but my understanding is they don’t like eating multiple year contracts. Add in the transfer portals ability to fix broken classes and I think he gets another year

Friedgen claims are true. Know someone that played, coached under him and still in contact. Friedgen was defacto the head coach. He didn’t sign on to be putting in more time and effort than the new head coach. The staff would come to him to assist with decisions on both sides of the ball because Flood wasn’t in the building.
Guess what, I heard the opposite from others and by the way he loved NJ. Some on these boards make their own history.

Guess what, I heard the opposite from others and by the way he loved NJ. Some on these boards make their own history.
Didn’t say anything about him not loving NJ. Heard the same. If the head man put in equal work, and gave him autonomy over the offense he would have stayed. Why do you think the remote consultant role Friedgen agreed to never materialized? There were stipulations to the agreement that weren’t met. His choice to fill role as OC wasn't chosen and he did not want to work with Flood and McDaniels

I posted this information pretty much real time when Friedgen didn't re up his contract. so haven't wavered on this one. My information was unsolicited and source has been rock solid with nuggets about RU UMD and B1G info. So I’ll stick with what Ive heard.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT