ADVERTISEMENT

If Ash Doesn't Pan Out, Who Do You Want as RU HC?

bigmatt718

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Within reason considering we are still 3 years from a full payout...who would you want as RU HC if Ash fails? I say Bo Pelini. He got a raw deal at Nebraska, and almost won the NC at YSU. He comes from the same cloth as Schiano...brash, in your face.

Don't see Bo Pelini
A. it will probably be a long time before Rutgers would deliberately enter into a major long term deal with a coach who is bombastic, volatile and has in the past occasionally flown off the handle when dealing with a less intense media market. The metro area media would have a feeding frenzy to see who could be the best at detonating Pelini
B. Timing is wrong - Rutgers & Pelini will be out of sync - figure Ash gets the rest of this season and at least two more - or three .... If Pelini produces well this year and next - he will likely move on to another major university program - basically, If Pelini is still hanging out at YSU 3-4 years from now, there will probably be a reason why - and one that would make him not so attractive to RU.

Can we have our own group nominated version of "come on man!?" :rolleyes:..really?

Patience is a virtue and for some of us a livelihood, without it my career would be derailed or perhaps destroyed. I don’t know if Ash is or is not the answer. One thing I do know is that lack of maturity leads to the irrational behavior exhibited on this boards lately.

“Impatience results when expectation of what you want a lot, and believe should happen soon or now, is delayed or denied. Impatience is always in a hurry for something to start or stop. Impatience reduces tolerance for the time something takes, creating urgency for for what is desired or against what is not.”

Carl E Pickhardt Ph.D.

well... Mark Richt WAS available when we were looking... but no one listened

Huh...do you think he would have even entertained time at Rutgers? Hell of a coach...run out of town by the fools in Ga

I can't I can't believe I'm going to say this but is there a former coach we can take LOL

I'm not sure I'm not sure who we would want but it's way too early to speculate other than at some point we are going to have to start discussing this because Ash clearly is not going to make it

Within reason considering we are still 3 years from a full payout...who would you want as RU HC if Ash fails? I say Bo Pelini. He got a raw deal at Nebraska, and almost won the NC at YSU. He comes from the same cloth as Schiano...brash, in your face.
Pelini deserves another shot at being a head coach. He redeemed himself at YSU. I am a big believer in a coach needs to fit the culture of the area. When building a program it all starts locally. You are not realistically going to be able to build a program by recruiting nationally. You need to get the best locally then supplement with guys from outside your home region Al Golden at Miami is a perfect example of not fitting the culture. While I think Pellini would do well in an area like Youngstown or Pittsburgh which are very blue collar areas. I just don’t think he would fit in Jersey. I do think if Ash is not the solution that Rutgers needs to hire someone with local ties. Someone who either is from the area or spent time in the area.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
Bo will succeed at his next job. Super experienced guy who was humbled and will be driven beyond belief to prove his worth at his next stop. BTW, this is a non-RU comment as we have a coach.

I don't get why some are calling this post dumb. The only dumb thing about this post is the use of the word "IF" in the title.

The Rutgers offense is again a disaster and is ranked 117th in the country. Despite putting up 65 points against a team that Don Bosco would beat.

The QB is different. The offensive coordinator is different. The starting RB is different. The starting TE is different. We have new receivers. The only constant? Chris Ash.

Ash has zero experience as a head coach and it is painfully obvious this experiment is, and will continue to be, an utter failure.

Who brings a ton of recruits to a game in which you are 29 point underdogs? The stupidity in that decision alone is mind boggling. How many more more recruits have to de-commit? How many more games does Rutgers have to lose to mid-majors like Eastern Michigan (a team that was 1-11 prior to last year)? How many more games does Rutgers have to lose by scores of 56-0, 78-0, 49-0, 58-0, 48-13 and 39-0 before everyone recognizes Ash is in way over his head?

Yes, he wasn't handed a great roster. But the talent on this team is not so bad that you should lose 56-0 -- at home, no less.

And, by way of example, look what Steve Pikiell inherited. Yet look at what he did in just one year. The difference is that Pikiell was a solid, experienced, head coach who knows how to optimize the assets at his disposal. Chris Ash? Not so much.

Last edited:
Pelini deserves another shot at being a head coach. He redeemed himself at YSU. I am a big believer in a coach needs to fit the culture of the area. When building a program it all starts locally. You are not realistically going to be able to build a program by recruiting nationally. You need to get the best locally then supplement with guys from outside your home region Al Golden at Miami is a perfect example of not fitting the culture. While I think Pellini would do well in an area like Youngstown or Pittsburgh which are very blue collar areas. I just don’t think he would fit in Jersey. I do think if Ash is not the solution that Rutgers needs to hire someone with local ties. Someone who either is from the area or spent time in the area.
You are right. The press would have a field day with Pelini. @huskersalways can add some tidbits.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...s-at-youngstown-state-as-school-settles-suit/
Ma'lik Richmond, the Youngstown State football player who was convicted in the Steubenville High School rape case of 2012 in Ohio, will be allowed to remain on the roster and play football for the program.
Bo Pelini on Ma’lik Richmond getting in the game: “You’re happy for the kid. It isn’t about me.”

He does have fire in his belly, though:
Bo-Pelini-Nebraska-Cornhuskers-vs-Iowa-Hawkeyes-4.jpg
bo-pelinijpg-c78816b5c81fd910.jpg
gksxndcmsd3yues0gctc.jpg
2157889318001_5522149109001_5522147946001-vs.jpg

Would be fun to see Bo and Butch Jones paired up somewhere:
Butch_Jones_MP_3498750_ver1.0_640_480.jpg
56a118d4a49e087d39cf4ad4c7410d63_crop_exact.jpg

Speaking of Butch, he may be available soon. He could take a certain QB with him to his next team. Any takers?

This thread is way too premature. End of season 3 is the earliest this should be considered.

Reactions: Steve91562
We wait until Sanu retires from playing and then hire him as head coach. Duh.

I cannot figure out why after a season and a quarter the AD would entertain a coaching change. Yes, the product stinks but most of us knew it would stink for a couple of years at least. The jury is out on whether Ash will make it as a head coach but this discussion is not happening until the end of 2018 at the earliest.

I cannot figure out why after a season and a quarter the AD would entertain a coaching change. Yes, the product stinks but most of us knew it would stink for a couple of years at least. The jury is out on whether Ash will make it as a head coach but this discussion is not happening until the end of 2018 at the earliest.
True, it's not happening with anybody whose opinion actually matters. But, for some here, this conversation started happening the day Ash was hired and they agonize daily over the inaction.

Ain't message boards grand? :)

Can we start this thread at the end of year 4 if no progress by then? There have been positives under Ash.
please list the notable areas of 'positives"
Other then cleaning up the program,and no arrests or NCAA invests ,what are they?
The new HC names should be starting to surface about next November,2018.Its about one year too soon to make a list.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
Speaking of Butch, he may be available soon. He could take a certain QB with him to his next team. Any takers?

This thread is way too premature. End of season 3 is the earliest this should be considered.

Butch jones was s Rutgers coach at one point in early 90s if I recall correctly.

please list the notable areas of 'positives" Other then cleaning up the program,and no arrests or NCAA invests ,what are they?
The new HC names should be starting to surface about next November,2018.Its about one year too soon to make a list.
Your favorite Winnie the Pooh character is Eeyore, amiright?

Reactions: Knight Shift
That would an interesting concept for a coaching staff, an all message board fan coaching staff: the only requirements are you had to pass various certifications from The NCAA and background checks etc...lol never gonna happen....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT