ADVERTISEMENT

If not Schiano, what about Matt Canada?

miketd1

Heisman Winner
Sep 26, 2006
If it's not Schiano and we go the hotshot recruiter route, my first choice is Matt Canada.

He knows a thing or two about offense (Indiana, NC State, LSU, MD):

And now he wants a shot at HC.
His offense isn't overly reliant on QB play.
In fact, you could make the argument that it's a modernized triple-option.
This works well with the kids we typically recruit, especially linemen.
Also, since it's not necessarily up-tempo, it won't expose us too badly when roster depth is an issue (both sides of the ball).
Best of all, he's available.

I wouldn't be surprised if he turned us down as OC when we hired McNulty.
But I think he'd more than welcome a shot as HC.

Pair him with Robb Smith as defensive coordinator.
He'd bring back an aggressive defense and is experienced enough to hold his own without any help.
Also has SEC (Arkansas) and B1G (Minnesota) experience.
Finally, he knows this recruiting area -- he'd be able to hit the ground running.
And apparently he's available as well.

If it's not Schiano and we go the hotshot recruiter route, my first choice is Matt Canada.

He knows a thing or two about offense (Indiana, NC State, LSU, MD):

And now he wants a shot at HC.
His offense isn't overly reliant on QB play.
In fact, you could make the argument that it's a modernized triple-option.
This works well with the kids we typically recruit, especially linemen.
Also, since it's not necessarily up-tempo, it won't expose us too badly when roster depth is an issue (both sides of the ball).
Best of all, he's available.

I wouldn't be surprised if he turned us down as OC when we hired McNulty.
But I think he'd more than welcome a shot as HC.

Pair him with Robb Smith as defensive coordinator.
He'd bring back an aggressive defense and is experienced enough to hold his own without any help.
Also has SEC (Arkansas) and B1G (Minnesota) experience.
Finally, he knows this recruiting area -- he'd be able to hit the ground running.
And apparently he's available as well.

I would go for it, and at least interview him. Watch what others say--likely no.
He has a reputation of being difficult, which he addresses in the si piece you linked. That si piece reminds me of the fluff job si did on Greg, showing him cooking breakfast. By the way, Topsail Island, where Canada lives now, is an awesome place to live.

Reactions: miketd1
I would go for it, and at least interview him. Watch what others say--likely no.
He has a reputation of being difficult, which he addresses in the si piece you linked. That si piece reminds me of the fluff job si did on Greg, showing him cooking breakfast. By the way, Topsail Island, where Canada lives now, is an awesome place to live.

If I had the money to live out at Topsail - enough to cover the property nut, upkeep on the required boat, food, bourbon, the occasional new car, etc... I wouldn't be looking to pick up another job anytime soon.

But that's just me.

A few other points:
His offenses put up:
34 points against Texas last year
42 points against Minnesota
21 points against Michigan
Crushed Rutgers
Blanked by Minnesota (fewer offensive yards than RU 2 weeks ago)
63 points against Minnesota
3 points against Michigan State
32 points against Indiana
51 points against Greg and Ohio State
3 points against Penn State
14 points and lost to Temple

My wife has long said that she would never move out of NJ, due to family stuff.

This is the sort of thing I like to torment her with.
We lived in Wilmington NC for 2 1/2 years in the early 1990's before kids. Maybe it has changed, but a few things stood out. I never lived in another place where people still talked about the Civil War (or "the war y'all lost" as one person referred to it). Have never been called a Yankee anywhere else. A plethora of pawn shops, boiled peanut stands and churches. We still liked it, but not sure we would go back to that area to live.

We lived in Wilmington NC for 2 1/2 years in the early 1990's before kids. Maybe it has changed, but a few things stood out. I never lived in another place where people still talked about the Civil War (or "the war y'all lost" as one person referred to it). Have never been called a Yankee anywhere else. A plethora of pawn shops, boiled peanut stands and churches. We still liked it, but not sure we would go back to that area to live.

We visited friends in Oak Island, and visited Wilmington. Looked beautiful with nice restaurants and bars right on the waterfront, plus a nice looking college campus, UNC Wilmington i would guess. Oak Island was a nice beach town too.

This was last summer, so maybe they did a lot of revitalizing since your stay there.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Obviously, hiring an accomplished coordinator and giving them a chance to be a head coach has worked many times for schools (including RU with Schiano).

I just don't think Rutgers can go in that direction, on the next football hire, after that strategy failed so miserably with Ash.

I don't know if he'd make a good HC, but given our roster, we should pretty obviously be running his offense or something very similar.

Reactions: miketd1
We visited friends in Oak Island, and visited Wilmington. Looked beautiful with nice restaurants and bars right on the waterfront, plus a nice looking college campus, UNC Wilmington i would guess. Oak Island was a nice beach town too.

This was last summer, so maybe they did a lot of revitalizing since your stay there.
Oak Island is awesome. Our memories of the churches, boiled peanut stands, etcs. were along Highway 17 and Market Street. IIRC correctly, either or both Hurricane Fran or Bertha did quite a bit of damage in the Wilmington area, and it all is probably rebuilt.

Don't know if it is still a thing there, but they used to call Wilmington Wilmiwood, as there was a movie studio in town, and Dawson's Creek was filmed there.

I don't know if he'd make a good HC, but given our roster, we should pretty obviously be running his offense or something very similar.

Canada may actually be a strong choice as the next RU HC. He did a good job as HC at MD last season. Surprised he isn’t working now.

My fear is that we can’t get anyone as qualified as Canada in today’s market. In that case he’s an excellent choice for us. We could end up with another Chris Ash type Coordinator as our next HC.

Last edited:
Obviously, hiring an accomplished coordinator and giving them a chance to be a head coach has worked many times for schools (including RU with Schiano).

I just don't think Rutgers can go in that direction, on the next football hire, after that strategy failed so miserably with Ash.
RU would be double down on an ASH 2.0 hiring a Cord as next H.C.

Canada may actually be a strong choice as the next RU HC. He did a good job as HC at MD last season. Surprised he isn’t working now.

My fear is that we can’t get anyone as qualified as Canada in today’s market. In that case he’s an excellent choice for us. We could end up with another Chris Ash as our next HC.
Canada would make the most out of the offensive talent already here.

He needs one big back to threaten zone runs (Pacheco) and a scat back to threaten the edge (Blackshear) via jet motion.

Mix in Adams, Young, and Melton.

His play-action game off those looks primarily come in the form of rollout, half-field reads. Stuff any D1 QB should be able to hit with relative frequency.

It's certainly not asking the QB to take a 5-7 step drop and drop dimes to guys who can't generate separation on their own. All while the linemen have to protect for 3+ seconds against bigger/stronger/faster guys.

Or ramming our RBs into stacked boxes.

Reactions: redking
Butch Jones,Schiano,Monken,even Lane Kiffin or Candle at Toledo.
BUT unless a donor steps up and Brown gets hands on we may get
Adazzio or the Camps as the new H.C., to be cheap once again.
RU never learns its lesson.

At the end of the day we've made exactly one football hire while in the Big Ten, and paid him about the same that other new hires in the Big Ten made that year. I'm willing to wait and see if we actually make a decent run at it this time around.

Reactions: leonh71
That issue at Maryland is a question mark because he served under DJ and that definitely will not go well with recruiting , we already have recruiting issues and we don’t need to add more fuel to that problem.

Adazzio would have been fine in 2012. He would have maintained what schiano built better than flood destroying it . But I don’t think he’s a good choice in 2019 where we are at

Reactions: ScarletNut
A few other points:
His offenses put up:
34 points against Texas last year
42 points against Minnesota
21 points against Michigan
Crushed Rutgers
Blanked by Minnesota (fewer offensive yards than RU 2 weeks ago)
63 points against Minnesota
3 points against Michigan State
32 points against Indiana
51 points against Greg and Ohio State
3 points against Penn State
14 points and lost to Temple
I think Canada makes for an intriguing candidate who Rutgers would be wise to interview.

Just one small point on that list: He was blanked by Temple last year. The Terps' two TDs came on a pick-six and a blocked punt. Having said that, though, Maryland was a touch job last year and Canada had a thankless job. I think he's a pretty talented guy.

I think Canada makes for an intriguing candidate who Rutgers would be wise to interview.

Just one small point on that list: He was blanked by Temple last year. The Terps' two TDs came on a pick-six and a blocked punt. Having said that, though, Maryland was a touch job last year and Canada had a thankless job. I think he's a pretty talented guy.
The concerning thing with Canada is that while he has limited experience coaching a team as interim, he has no experience running all aspects of a program, being the face of a program, selling a program, etc.

Seeing Ash be a complete failure in those areas, in addition to his his teams under-performing, has given them increased priority (for me , anyway) in the hire.

Reactions: Knightmoves
The concerning thing with Canada is that while he has limited experience coaching a team as interim, he has no experience running all aspects of a program, being the face of a program, selling a program, etc.

Seeing Ash be a complete failure in those areas, in addition to his his teams under-performing, has given them increased priority (for me , anyway) in the hire.
yes .very good factual point.
Ru is a mess,need a HC who has done this prior at Power five or group of five level.

I don't care, I just want to win again.

That said, I am no longer in the mood for guys who have to learn on the job.

We need a former HC.

Reactions: BlockR
I've got family all over North Carolina and that's been my experience in much of the state, other than Charlotte (which has changed a lot from the 90s) and Cary (which they call Containment Area for Relocated Yankees).
And, yes, the movies have skidded to a halt. They've gone from filming 6, 7 or 8 every year in Wilmington to just two TOTAL in the last five years.
http://www.wilmingtonfilm.com/feature-film/

Last edited:

Don't get upset before they name someone - get upset when they prove you right (not learning lessons)

Oak Island is awesome. Our memories of the churches, boiled peanut stands, etcs. were along Highway 17 and Market Street. IIRC correctly, either or both Hurricane Fran or Bertha did quite a bit of damage in the Wilmington area, and it all is probably rebuilt.

Don't know if it is still a thing there, but they used to call Wilmington Wilmiwood, as there was a movie studio in town, and Dawson's Creek was filmed there.

Didn't hear 'Wilmiwood' but my friends who transplanted to NC (Cary area) from N NJ, called NC as 'North Cackalacky' ! lol. My friends worked for LabCorp in the Raleigh area, i worked for GSK Pharma and would occasionally go down for work or pleasure to visit. My friends in Cary bought the beach house in Oak Island about 10 years ago. PS- I got to check out Chapel Hill and UNC. Man, that's a beautiful town and campus.

Didn't hear 'Wilmiwood' but my friends who transplanted to NC (Cary area) from N NJ, called NC as 'North Cackalacky' ! lol. My friends worked for LabCorp in the Raleigh area, i worked for GSK Pharma and would occasionally go down for work or pleasure to visit. My friends in Cary bought the beach house in Oak Island about 10 years ago. PS- I got to check out Chapel Hill and UNC. Man, that's a beautiful town and campus.
I bet you did not see a single classroom or class in session, did you? :Sly:

Canada is a brilliant offensive mind. IIRC was he not the OC at Pitt when they beat PSU a few years back? Ate them up that day. The problem is he seems to quickly wear out his welcome wherever he winds up. The program will need stability after Ash. If he comes in and only lasts a year or two because of his personality we are back to square one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT