ADVERTISEMENT

If you're not going to donate, you'll just have to be patient

Are you really trying to call someone out on deflecting? That’s rich Al. Ok I was wrong on how many games the kid played. So what?

You wanna address how marylands half decent QB somehow caused our Offense to score 0 points after they had played PSU and OSU in consecutive weeks leading up? Or you gonna keep hiding from that one.

Al, you are the only person left excited for schiano. Your setting yourself up for heartbreak at the end of this

I’ve already acknowledged that the offense stinks. Not sure what else you want me to say.

But at least we’re on our way towards fixing it. We’ve got a four star left tackle developing and a bunch of three stars from the ‘22 class, doing the same. We’ve got more OL kids in the ‘23 class who are going to be ready to go by their 2nd or third year.
By ‘25, we should have a good OL.

So while we’re not where we want to be, we’re on our way. Now we need a few kids to step up to become WR1 and TE1, and we should be in decent shape. It’s reasonable to expect incremental improvement from the offense this year.

Actually, you didn’t do your homework because he didn’t play in many games last year.

Someone who knows him, and posts mostly on the premium side, said Schiano likened him to Santana Moss, who was an instant impact receiver for Miami. With praise like that, I expect Braithwaite to be the headliner of the class and GOAT slot at Rutgers.
Moss wasn’t an instant impact player because Miami had plenty of talent. Braithwaite will have a great opportunity to be instant impact because we lack talent.

I understand you don’t expect him to be instant impact. We’ll see who is correct.

Maybe take a break.
Talking in circles now.

This isn't even bringing up the crazy 'recruiting rankings are meaningless' posts.

Note: I actually agree they are mostly meaningless. But I've never used them to laud a HC in many prior posts when the rankings were getting better.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
I’ve already acknowledged that the offense stinks. Not sure what else you want me to say.

But at least we’re on our way towards fixing it. We’ve got a four star left tackle developing and a bunch of three stars from the ‘22 class, doing the same. We’ve got more OL kids in the ‘23 class who are going to be ready to go by their 2nd or third year.
By ‘25, we should have a good OL.

So while we’re not where we want to be, we’re on our way. Now we need a few kids to step up to become WR1 and TE1, and we should be in decent shape. It’s reasonable to expect incremental improvement from the offense this year.
Al, we have the exact same ingredients we have had for the last 8 years minus Gavin in regards to recruits. You have repeated yourself for the better part of a decade trying to convince whoever will listen how everything is always on the right path. This is pure insanity… your love affair with Greg is insane. The fact that you are talking about ‘by 25’ are you kidding me?? That’s insanity Al. That’s the kind of blind allegiance that has people in happy valley still defending Joe. Absolute lunacy

Al, we have the exact same ingredients we have had for the last 8 years minus Gavin in regards to recruits. You have repeated yourself for the better part of a decade trying to convince whoever will listen how everything is always on the right path. This is pure insanity… your love affair with Greg is insane. The fact that you are talking about ‘by 25’ are you kidding me?? That’s insanity Al. That’s the kind of blind allegiance that has people in happy valley still defending Joe. Absolute lunacy

That’s not true. I thought Ash was a bum and openly said as much. I predicted he would fail because he did not have a strong enough staff and he did not have the right strategy for recruiting talent. I supported Flood, but understood he had to go after the academic improprieties and failed drug tests.

Schiano is the only Rutgers Coach I’ve seen who excelled at all aspects of this job:
- academics
- recruiting
- player development
- demanding a new football facility

If you honestly look at the team, I think we’re halfway to where we want to be. That is to have enough talent to beat anyone on any given day.

That’s not true. I thought Ash was a bum and openly said as much. I predicted he would fail because he did not have a strong enough staff and he did not have the right strategy for recruiting talent. I supported Flood, but understood he had to go after the academic improprieties and failed drug tests.

Schiano is the only Rutgers Coach I’ve seen who excelled at all aspects of this job:
- academics
- recruiting
- player development

If you honestly look at the team, I think we’re halfway to where we want to be. That is to have enough talent to beat anyone on any given day.

Ok now this is not true.
As late as May 2019 you were singing praise for HC Ash and all his accomplishments.

Being in finance, I hear "basis points" all the time.
But I've only heard it 1 time outside of finance - it was on this board defending HC Ash recruiting.
I'll never forget the post because of how crazy it was to reference basis points regarding recruiting rankings.

Here you go:

It’s unfortunate that you find signs of obvious progress painful and lame.

- have you seen the new practice fields?
- have seen the new weight room?
- have you seen Hale Center since Ash took over?
- Did you note that Sutton made Deans List?
- Did you note that Tyson Fogg excelled in the classroom this year?
- Did you note that Rutgers Rivals recruiting ranking improved more than 1000 basis points?

These are tangible achievements that Ash can hang his hat on.

Post in thread 'Ash can grow into a good head coach' https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/ash-can-grow-into-a-good-head-coach.167824/post-3867460

• Haha
Ok now this is not true.
As late as May 2019 you were singing praise for HC Ash and all his accomplishments.

Being in finance, I hear "basis points" all the time.
But I've only heard it 1 time outside of finance - it was on this board defending HC Ash recruiting.
I'll never forget the post because of how crazy it was to reference basis points regarding recruiting rankings.

Here you go:

Post in thread 'Ash can grow into a good head coach' https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/ash-can-grow-into-a-good-head-coach.167824/post-3867460

There’s no contradiction. Everything I posted regarding Ash’s accomplishments was true. I can simultaneously support Ash as the Rutgers Coach, while not thinking he was the optimal choice for the job.

Al, the bolded part is where you and many people debating you disagree. I'm not trusting Schiano is going to put the right offensive system in place. We have seen the same things in 2.0 that we saw in 1.0. He has not shown any tendency or ability to identify, develop and coach QBs, or hire the right people to do that. Who was the longest tenured OC in 1.0? That says a lot.

In other posts you said we have talent at WR and TE, didn't you?

To this point, because of the silly the ball is the program mantra, we lost Youngblood to the portal. Very bad thing for RU.

Not true. Ver Steeg was the OC and significantly improved Rutgers offense and developed Ryan Hart from 2003 - 2005, culminating in Rutgers first bowl game since 1978.

Schiano made McNulty OC in 2006, and he was instrumental in Mike Teels development, and because of Mike Teel’s progress, Teel was drafted in the 5th Round by the Seahawks. McNulty lasted three seasons before he went to the NFL. Kirk Ciarroca then lasted two seasons but his tenure ended badly. Schiano then hired Cignetti, who helped the Rutgers offense significantly progress in ‘11, leading to a bowl game. Freshman Gary Nova and Sophomore Chas Dodd platooned that year.

GS 1.0 saw at least 3 OC hires who boosted the offense and developed quarterbacks. So the notion that GS cannot do the same in 2.0 is without merit. His history suggests he has the skillset to do so successfully.

- academics
- recruiting
- player development

Al, honestly, we should all strive to love someone in our lives the way you love Greg Schiano….

Though you neglected to point out his most admirable trait from last year, Excuse making! Never in cfb history has a coach blamed his team and scenario more. The guy clearly continues to be turned down by potential oc’s bc no one wants to work for him

Al, honestly, we should all strive to love someone in our lives the way you love Greg Schiano….

Though you neglected to point out his most admirable trait from last year, Excuse making! Never in cfb history has a coach blamed his team and scenario more. The guy clearly continues to be turned down by potential oc’s bc no one wants to work for him

Substantial progress has been made on the defensive side of the ball with Rutgers ranking #37 in Total Defense. More work needs to be done on the offensive side of the ball which will take time.

The situation on offense is difficult, with little prospect for immediate success, and Carrie’s significant risk. So it’s not surprising that OC Candidates are leery of taking on this challenge.

The offensive line for Rutgers future is being developed. The quarterback struggled last year, and is still acclimating to this level. No proven Wide Receivers on the roster. Our best running back was injured last year. The tight end Corp will need to be augmented by portal talent.

Thankfully, most of the talent needed to fix this situation will be on the roster once the freshman arrive. But as previously mentioned, developing them will take time. This is not a quick fix situation.

Substantial progress has been made on the defensive side of the ball with Rutgers ranking #37 in Total Defense. More work needs to be done on the offensive side of the ball which will take time.

The situation on offense is difficult, with little prospect for immediate success, and Carrie’s significant risk. So it’s not surprising that OC Candidates are leery of taking on this challenge.

The offensive line for Rutgers future is being developed. The quarterback struggled last year, and is still acclimating to this level. No proven Wide Receivers on the roster. Our best running back was injured last year. The tight end Corp will need to be augmented by portal talent.

Thankfully, most of the talent needed to fix this situation will be on the roster once the freshman arrive. But as previously mentioned, developing them will take time. This is not a quick fix situation.
It is a quick fix with a competent coach… just saying

It is a quick fix with a competent coach… just saying

Urban Meyer couldn’t implement a quick fix here because there is not enough talent. That’s what OC’s are seeing. However, The offense will be in much better shape two years from now.

Urban Meyer couldn’t implement a quick fix here because there is not enough talent. That’s what OC’s are seeing. However, The offense will be in much better shape two years from now.
whatever you say Al, Urban Meyer is a tarneshed coach and you are correct, would not win here or anywhere at this point, though certainly there are PLENTY of coaches we could have hired 3 years ago that would have the offense AND defense in better shape than they currently are. For some strange reason though, you just refuse to believe anyone besides greg schiano can do it and have tied your loyalty to him for better or worse

Substantial progress has been made on the defensive side of the ball with Rutgers ranking #37 in Total Defense.
In my opinion, the Rutgers defense is not as good as this. That statement doesn't pass the eye test. I'm sure you have some statistical support for it, but it seems like most decent teams had no problem moving the ball and scoring. And most could have done a lot more of it in 3rd/4th quarters had they chosen to.

You guys need a Steve Pikiell for football. That man is amazing. With all due respect, the football team is not getting better in any way that I, or most opposing fans, can see...

In my opinion, the Rutgers defense is not as good as this. That statement doesn't pass the eye test. I'm sure you have some statistical support for it, but it seems like most decent teams had no problem moving the ball and scoring. And most could have done a lot more of it in 3rd/4th quarters had they chosen to.

You guys need a Steve Pikiell for football. That man is amazing. With all due respect, the football team is not getting better in any way that I, or most opposing fans, can see...

There are 5 kids on the floor in basketball. There are 11 kids on the field in football. Things take longer in football, as linemen have to redshirt and need roughly two years just to acclimate to the physicality of the game. What football needs is a Cliff, an alpha male Wide Receiver #1 who can outmuscle guys and score. We are still searching.

We also need a football practice facility. Once that is built, we’ll be good to go.

There are 5 kids on the floor in basketball. There are 11 kids on the field in football. Things take longer in football, as linemen have to redshirt and need roughly two years just to acclimate to the physicality of the game. What football needs is a Cliff, an alpha male Wide Receiver #1 who can outmuscle guys and score. We are still searching.

We also need a football practice facility. Once that is built, we’ll be good to go.

I agree, a glamorous practice facility is a huge difference-maker. I doubt it matters as much in a functional sense -- the bubble is good enough -- but it makes a big impression on recruits. I hope that gets done at RU soon.

And yeah, Pike did an incredible job from day one, but agree that football is more of a challenge...

Reactions: rutgersal

What's the deal with the practice facility?
Is there any sort of timeline or updates?
Maybe I missed it. Seems most talk is about RAC upgrades.

It was this huge grand thing that only HC Schiano could get Rutgers to agree to upgrade facilities.

• Haha
What's the deal with the practice facility?
Is there any sort of timeline or updates?
Maybe I missed it. Seems most talk is about RAC upgrades.

It was this huge grand thing that only HC Schiano could get Rutgers to agree to upgrade facilities.

From Schiano’s comments, it sounds like they are going to fund it from the increased Big Ten TV payout ~70M, for 2024, rather than appeal to the fanbase. So it looks like this has been pushed way back. So Schiano has asked for the fanbase to support NIL instead.

Reactions: NickRU714

This has Rutgers #48 in defense which seems realistic to me. That is obviously not really all that good for a Power 5 team but it's respectable enough for 3 seasons (1 shortened) from an epic dumpster fire. But this will obviously not be good enough long term either and while a mediocre defense certainly stands out here when compared to the offense and to recent history it's not some great accomplishment.

Saw this comment in a Mandel mailbag in the Athletic.

USC is one of the last remaining major athletic departments that is anti-NIL collectives in recruiting. For all the rumors about USC “buying” Jordan Addison, Trojans players are still very much having to get deals on their own. Which may explain why such a hot coach at such a big-brand program signed only the No. 15 class this year. “Come to Hollywood, we’ll make you a star” is not as compelling to most kids as “Come to State U, our donors will cut you a check tomorrow.”

This has Rutgers #48 in defense which seems realistic to me. That is obviously not really all that good for a Power 5 team but it's respectable enough for 3 seasons (1 shortened) from an epic dumpster fire. But this will obviously not be good enough long term either and while a mediocre defense certainly stands out here when compared to the offense and to recent history it's not some great accomplishment.
It’s amazing that the 5 of the Top 10 defenses in the Country are in the B1G.

Saw this comment in a Mandel mailbag in the Athletic.

USC is one of the last remaining major athletic departments that is anti-NIL collectives in recruiting. For all the rumors about USC “buying” Jordan Addison, Trojans players are still very much having to get deals on their own. Which may explain why such a hot coach at such a big-brand program signed only the No. 15 class this year. “Come to Hollywood, we’ll make you a star” is not as compelling to most kids as “Come to State U, our donors will cut you a check tomorrow.”

Only the naive think USC players are getting deals on their own. Do you really think Caleb Williams showed up at the Beats Corporate Office doorsteps asking for a Deal!! Come on, Man!

It’s all pre organized before the kid enrolls. Then once the kid enrolls the deals are announced sometime after, to make everything look good.

Everyone knows there’s tampering going on.
Schiano has said there is tampering going on. Problem is you can’t prove it.

USC knows how to play the game better than anyone.

A source told ESPN that Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi caught wind of USC as a potential destination and called Trojans coach Lincoln Riley multiple times on Friday to express his displeasure. Pitt officials suspect that tampering could have occurred.

Reactions: dconifer
Only the naive think USC players are getting deals on their own. Do you really think Caleb Williams showed up at the Beats Corporate Office doorsteps asking for a Deal!! Come on, Man!

It’s all pre organized before the kid enrolls. Then once the kid enrolls the deals are announced sometime after, to make everything look good.

A source told ESPN that Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi caught wind of USC as a potential destination and called Trojans coach Lincoln Riley multiple times on Friday to express his displeasure. Pitt officials suspect that tampering could have occurred.

Narduzzi flaps his mouth about everything inlcuding 5 million for Drake Maye which was BS.

The top stars probably have some assurances of what they can and will get but as I’ve said every situation is different. Every time a transfer happens people automatically assume oh he’s getting big money and that’s not always the case. You get the whole gamut of scenarios. Sometimes yes, sometimes no and sometimes in the middle.

• Haha

Pat Narduzzi is a loose nut that goes off half-cocked a lot. You citing Pat Narduzzi is a double dose of naivete.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Narduzzi flaps his mouth about everything inlcuding 5 million for Drake Maye which was BS.

The top stars probably have some assurances of what they can and will get but as I’ve said every situation is different. Every time a transfer happens people automatically assume oh he’s getting big money and that’s not always the case. You get the whole gamut of scenarios. Sometimes yes, sometimes no and sometimes in the middle.
As usual, great minds think alike.

Reactions: rutgersguy1

The more value kids bring to the table, the more value they get. Within weeks of enrolling at USC, Caleb Williams signed up with beats, founded by Dr. Dre, a huge USC booster.

The more value kids bring to the table, the more value they get. Within weeks of enrolling at USC, Caleb Williams signed up with beats, founded by Dr. Dre, a huge USC booster.

You pretty much agree with @rutgersguy1 .
The difference between USC and Rutgers could not be greater. How many RU alums/boosters have a cool company like Beats that can be leveraged into a deal with a college football player. I can't think of one. The Home Depot co-founder? Nope. SHI? Nope. Occidental Petroleum? Nope. Bank of America? Nope. Motorola? Nope. Weeks Marine? Nope.

You pretty much agree with @rutgersguy1 .
The difference between USC and Rutgers could not be greater. How many RU alums/boosters have a cool company like Beats that can be leveraged into a deal with a college football player. I can't think of one. The Home Depot co-founder? Nope. SHI? Nope. Occidental Petroleum? Nope. Bank of America? Nope. Motorola? Nope. Weeks Marine? Nope.

Marc Ecko is the only one I can think of. He can use football players to model his clothes.

Marc Ecko is the only one I can think of. He can use football players to model his clothes.

Now you are thinking B1G! Forgot about him. But can't think of any others. In the Los Angeles area, there are lots of USC alums as well as non-USC alums that support athletics. Plus they have B. Wayne Hughes, founder of Public Storage, who has donated $400 million to USC, mostly to athletics. They also have Brian Kennedy, who funded team facilities and their practice field.

We don't have people like that, but fortunately, we have the Towers, the Rodkins and the Garrutis. But none in companies that are sexy to recruits.

Excerpt from the article:

NIL rumors swirled. On3 reported that Miami lured Rashada with a deal worth $9.5 million, followed by Florida countering at $11 million. Rashada’s family disputed the report. Sources familiar with the recruitment called the figures grossly exaggerated.

“There’s no way that Mario Cristobal is going to have a player on his team who’s getting $9.5 million. That is not reality,” an FBS head coach told The Athletic. “Are there some things going on, and did they get involved in certain ways? Sure. But $9 million? I don’t believe it.

“And think about Florida supposedly offering $11 million over four years? This kid, a junior in high school who just learned to drive, would be promised more money than anybody in the entire building except Napier? It’s ridiculous.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT