ADVERTISEMENT

Ismael Massoud

You might want to look up the definition of industry standard.
"Industry standard
A practice, method, process or criteria adopted as convention by industry members either through formal agreement or through emulation of best practices established by industry leaders."
There are no 'industry standards' for evaluating prep talent, and 24/7 certainly isn't it.

I'm sorry but I have no issue saying this: I hope this kid is an absolute flop at the collegiate level.

Reactions: Goku
Why? Just because he didn't pick your favorite school?

I mean should you be disappointed? Abosultely, but it is not like he did this:

Reminiscent of Anthony Davis doing that with his Ohio State hat prior to donning the block R. Its not like Massoud decommitted, I don't wish him ill, but don't care about his success either.

Russ - How do coaches handle? I know you win some you lose some but it sure seems like the coaches (not just RU) really invest a lot - personally - in the kids and the process. It’s got to be gut wrenching for the staff to court a kid so hard (calls/texts/travel etc.) and be told no. I guess if you do this long enough they view it as part of the day to day of the job - almost like a business deal. But even those hurt when you lose...

I'm sorry but I have no issue saying this: I hope this kid is an absolute flop at the collegiate level.
I feel the same way at times, but I think I've moved on. I also think that these are kids who have a tough decision to make that I never had to make when I was their age. And I'm soon-to-be-40-year-old adult who shouldn't have my busy life impacted by the decisions of a teenage kid. I just don't care about the kids who go elsewhere. They get to go to school for free for their talents. I'll just root for the kids that choose to play for my team. It would have been a much more courageous decision for Massoud to pick Rutgers and this program that we think is on the rise and a coach who I think is one of the best at developing talent. It's his loss. It's a hit for Pike and his program. I don't think he will get a player who will wind up being as talented as Massoud. It just slows the progress a little bit. But I already think it's going to take 6-7 years for Pike to get Rutgers into the NCAA tournament. I can wait.

Russ - How do coaches handle? I know you win some you lose some but it sure seems like the coaches (not just RU) really invest a lot - personally - in the kids and the process. It’s got to be gut wrenching for the staff to court a kid so hard (calls/texts/travel etc.) and be told no. I guess if you do this long enough they view it as part of the day to day of the job - almost like a business deal. But even those hurt when you lose...
You summed it up pretty good.

You summed it up pretty good.

The opposite occurs to. We all pay attention to top recruits, but there are kids who are waiting to find a home and they have to wait to see what players ahead of them do. Unfortunately some coaches don't show those kids respect when they land their 1st choice and are no longer interested in the 3rd choice.

Reactions: LC-88 and gregkoko

...not many other sales jobs, which, unfortunately, is a large part of a college coach's job. If you have a superior product (e.g., Duke), the product sells itself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT