ADVERTISEMENT

Ismael Massoud

More Crystal Balls for Wake Forest today. Guessing he verbals this week and doesn't make it on campus.

Massoud will announce at noon today, almost certainly for Wake Forest. So, that’s that. Have to wonder what changed before his visit there even began. Why schedule official visits if you’re going to (by all appearances) decide on a school before even visiting there? Whatever, on to the next.

Massoud will announce at noon today, almost certainly for Wake Forest. So, that’s that. Have to wonder what changed before his visit there even began. Why schedule official visits if you’re going to (by all appearances) decide on a school before even visiting there? Whatever, on to the next.
This is it something that is out of the ordinary. Especially if the kid has taken unofficial visits to schools like Massoud has to Rutgers.

He probably has seen all he needs to see and is ready to make his decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: gregkoko
This is it something that is out of the ordinary. Especially if the kid has taken unofficial visits to schools like Massoud has to Rutgers.

He probably COC has seen all he needs to see hand is ready to make his decision.
Again though, a bunch of predictions came in for Wake BEFORE this weekend’s visit to them, when most writeups and previous predictions had Rutgers and Auburn in the lead. Then Auburn went out of the picture, and then all of a sudden he seemingly decides on Wake before showing up to their campus. So either something changed dramatically, or at minimum those Rutgers predictions were wrong, to the extent that not only was Rutgers not really leading but that he decided to not even make it to campus again.

Again though, a bunch of predictions came in for Wake BEFORE this weekend’s visit to them, when most writeups and previous predictions had Rutgers and Auburn in the lead. Then Auburn went out of the picture, and then all of a sudden he seemingly decides on Wake before showing up to their campus. So either something changed dramatically, or at minimum those Rutgers predictions were wrong, to the extent that not only was Rutgers not really leading but that he decided to not even make it to campus again.
Auburn went out of the picture because they preferred Jaylin Williams to Massoud. Both kids were scheduled to visit Auburn for the same weekend. According to a source, Auburn learned that Williams wanted in and cancelled Massoud's visit.

I can only speak to my prediction. I picked Rutgers after talking with two people back in August. A couple of weeks ago one of those people told me that there was a lot of Wake Forest chatter building around Massoud but he didn't have any direct knowledge as to why so I kinda brushed off what he said.

A few days after that I spoke to two different sources who told me enough to make me switch my pick to Wake Forest last Wednesday.

So it's possible that the early information that I received, and other people received, was wrong but what is much more likely is that the early information we got was accurate and something in the recruitment changed.

Subscribers to the Florida site know that my mantra is: Things can, and often will, change quickly in recruiting.

I hate "whatever, on to the next". More often than not, if not always, the next prospect is not on the level of the prospect we lost out on. That's the fundamental reality of recruiting, you have your A's, B's, C's, and D's.

There's no downside to having guys like Strickland, Hyatt, and Massoud in your program. We'll see if the "next" guys can get the job done.

I hate "whatever, on to the next". More often than not, if not always, the next prospect is not on the level of the prospect we lost out on. That's the fundamental reality of recruiting, you have your A's, B's, C's, and D's.

There's no downside to having guys like Strickland, Hyatt, and Massoud in your program. We'll see if the "next" guys can get the job done.
Of course...you want your plan A recruits. Can’t just fold up shop when you don’t get them though. Not getting Massoud isn’t going to affect much for the next couple of years as it’s not like he would have started as a freshmen. Now they just need to find someone with high potential for the last spot and bring them along.

The fact that we haven't really been in the mix for anyone else in 2019 tells me the staff was pretty confident in getting him. Not that we're scrambling now (it's only September and we already have Mulcahy at least) but we're going to be playing catch-up a little bit. My guess is the staff looks for a guy who breaks out during his senior season coming up, or keeps the scholarship open again to look for a transfer.

Auburn went out of the picture because they preferred Jaylin Williams to Massoud. Both kids were scheduled to visit Auburn for the same weekend. According to a source, Auburn learned that Williams wanted in and cancelled Massoud's visit.

I can only speak to my prediction. I picked Rutgers after talking with two people back in August. A couple of weeks ago one of those people told me that there was a lot of Wake Forest chatter building around Massoud but he didn't have any direct knowledge as to why so I kinda brushed off what he said.

A few days after that I spoke to two different sources who told me enough to make me switch my pick to Wake Forest last Wednesday.

So it's possible that the early information that I received, and other people received, was wrong but what is much more likely is that the early information we got was accurate and something in the recruitment changed.

Subscribers to the Florida site know that my mantra is: Things can, and often will, change quickly in recruiting.

yeah we get the when and what part....but the question of WHY remains.
not why he didn't go to Auburn. Not why you changed you pick.

Why Wake wasn't the last 2, and goes from (at least) #3 to number 1 without even going there first? What about Wake made him cancel not just us but Tech too. So we were a placeholder again? IF he didn't like Wake was Tech going to become number 1?

This doesn’t sit well with me and I’m sure Pike is furious. Recruiting in basketball has to be the worst. This is so fishy. How a kid can basically be a silent commit to a school before visiting is bonkers

Reactions: superfan01
This doesn’t sit well with me and I’m sure Pike is furious. Recruiting in basketball has to be the worst. This is so fishy. How a kid can basically be a silent commit to a school before visiting is bonkers
He had likely visited there before on unofficial visit(s). But what is odd is it seems suddenly “word spread” that he was picking them before making his official visit, when there was no indication they were leading.

yeah we get the when and what part....but the question of WHY remains.
not why he didn't go to Auburn. Not why you changed you pick.

Why Wake wasn't the last 2, and goes from (at least) #3 to number 1 without even going there first? What about Wake made him cancel not just us but Tech too. So we were a placeholder again? IF he didn't like Wake was Tech going to become number 1?

Did he announce a "last 2", or was that just the speculation from crystal ball predictions? Wake was in his final five last month, along with Auburn, Rutgers, GTech, and Harvard - so it's not like they came out of nowhere.

I'm sure the RU staff is not happy about these developments. But it is not like Massoud has not visited RU before and know what the school/program has to offer.

Did he announce a "last 2", or was that just the speculation from crystal ball predictions? Wake was in his final five last month, along with Auburn, Rutgers, GTech, and Harvard - so it's not like they came out of nowhere.
To my knowledge Massoud did not announce a last two. He visited Harvard. Auburn was eliminated when they took a commitment from Jaylin Williams. He went a weekend without a visit (I wonder if RU tried to move their visit up to last weekend) then he visited Wake.

Reactions: gregkoko
nope, didn't think it was nowhere. and you could very well be right about the "final 2" thing.

edit: just saw Russ' feedback. so there's that. I guess I took the CBs as that..so my bad.

There is no scrambling for one last spot....last year at this time we just landed Mathis, Harper and McClung with 2 spots available that freed up in spring.....then Mcclung was replaced with Shaq Carter...

Hard to argue with the results but Massoud and Hyatt both would have been huge pickups...but there's still lots available to find and some schools still dont have a 2019 verbal around the country.

We are actually more focused on 2020 and 2021 now, which is the only way to stay afloat against some of these schools capable of going beyond what RU and a few programs are not willing to go these days.

I'm sure the RU staff is not happy about these developments. But it is not like Massoud has not visited RU before and know what the school/program has to offer.
Yeah, my comments are mainly out of frustration. We’re playing with the Big boys now. Can’t land everyone. Really appreciate your info Russ. This is great stuff you provide. Just curious, are you going to make it to an RU game or two this year? Or are you not local?

Yeah, my comments are mainly out of frustration. We’re playing with the Big boys now. Can’t land everyone. Really appreciate your info Russ. This is great stuff you provide. Just curious, are you going to make it to an RU game or two this year? Or are you not local?
I am in Florida

Reactions: biazza38
I know people don't want to hear it, but it seems like Rutgers was a fall back pick. As someone said earlier, who knows if Georgia Tech wouldn't have taken Wake's spot or if Auburn would have if they hadn't gotten a better player.. Obviously, the kid wasn't thrilled about being here compared to at least one other school. The kid knew what was here and chose elsewhere... you can't make him come here. Wake is a good school, with a really nice campus and Manning is an ex-NBA player. It's dissappointing but so be it.

Well I have officially lost the crown of biggest pessimist. My glass is 3/4 empty and you don't have a drop.

I just want the average player rating of our classes be better than bottom third of the conference. Landing Massoud was our best shot for 19.

I just want the average player rating of our classes be better than bottom third of the conference. Landing Massoud was our best shot for 19.

I compiled a list of all 4 star players we got over the past 10 or so years. In the end those players either had flaws or didn’t end up finishing their careers here. Bottom line they were the lemons of the 4 star pool.

Not the way to go.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
I know people don't want to hear it, but it seems like Rutgers was a fall back pick. As someone said earlier, who knows if Georgia Tech wouldn't have taken Wake's spot or if Auburn would have if they hadn't gotten a better player.. Obviously, the kid wasn't thrilled about being here compared to at least one other school. The kid knew what was here and chose elsewhere... you can't make him come here. Wake is a good school, with a really nice campus and Manning is an ex-NBA player. It's dissappointing but so be it.
He’s a national champion too. Manning has plenty to sell, he could be a force there.

Maybe if we don't end up in last AGAIN that'll be realistic. But Pike's done amazing with the cards hes be dealt. Its impressive the recruiting class has been as good as its been the last couple of years relative to the standings. Not sure what you're blabbering about

Yeah, it's a gut punch to have lost out on our two top prospects in Hyatt and Massoud. Pike fought to the end on both of them, though.

But he's already making new offers for 2019, and we all have seen that he's been getting visits from 2020s and 2021s already. Now we just need to get an uptick in B1G wins to show the "top 100" type recruits that progress is being made.

We still have e a roster of 5 4 star recruits for 2019-2020.

Having said that...finishing 2nd to massoud and Hyatt really hurts right now

This roster is this close to getting there

We really need a winning record this head to show that the tangible results are coming

Reactions: RUChoppin
This is wrong. Sorry. 247 composite rankings are industry standard. I’m sorry you didn’t know it.
There are no 'industry standards' when it comes to ranking high school athletes. None of the services have either the resources or skill to do a thorough job. They may get the top 15 to 25 right, but beyond that it's a crap shoot. I imagine they don't care that much either. Their primary goal in publishing these lists is to gain 'clicks', just as the primary goal of newspapers is to sell newspapers. However, ranking services have the advantage in that most fans forget most of it after signing day, and they never have to print retractions. That said, if you want a more valid composite, you should consider RSCIhoops. It's a bit more comprehensive.

There are no 'industry standards' when it comes to ranking high school athletes. None of the services have either the resources or skill to do a thorough job. They may get the top 15 to 25 right, but beyond that it's a crap shoot. I imagine they don't care that much either. Their primary goal in publishing these lists is to gain 'clicks', just as the primary goal of newspapers is to sell newspapers. However, ranking services have the advantage in that most fans forget most of it after signing day, and they never have to print retractions. That said, if you want a more valid composite, you should consider RSCIhoops. It's a bit more comprehensive.

You might want to look up the definition of industry standard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT