ADVERTISEMENT

It's going down

Holy triple negative.

I look it as an opportunity to provide another in a long line of reasons why no decent AD candidate would ever consider taking the RU AD job. Why would any reasonable competent person want this job when
1) The press loves taking shots at RU athletics when they do something well; 2) the press loves taking shots at RU athletics when there is a minor issue;
3)The fan support for most sports is weak;
4) The BOG does not support athletics;
5) The legislature does not support athletics and is full of cancel culture losers.
Agreed. No rational person should take this job. It’s a death knell for a career. The narrative is quickly emerging to stay away from Rutgers and New Jersey.

Reactions: Knight Shift
what is a “real AD”?
In my opinion, someone from a B1G school, who has helped run a football program and who understands the culture of the conference. We are a red headed step child right now and need to align ourselves with the this conference operates.

BTW this type of AD should have been hired when Julie was hired. Not having done that has really set us back.

- the tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists are already backtracking as they said :
1) Schiano had already signed but since then BJ was reported to have interviewed after this came out from Knightshift and friends
2) Decision was already made for Hobbs to be fired but then Barchi put out the statement

pretty much, don’t believe anything you read here, no one seems to know anything.
Well, at least all bases are covered.

In my opinion, someone from a B1G school, who has helped run a football program and who understands the culture of the conference. We are a red headed step child right now and need to align ourselves with the this conference operates.

BTW this type of AD should have been hired when Julie was hired. Not having done that has really set us back.
When the goal was to make a social justice hire, you have to give them credit. The job was done.

This is all correct ... except you left off the part where that disingenuous c-sucker Jay Bilas (and ESPN) was an accomplice in the blackmail.
The same scumbag that defended UNC and their famous fake grade scandal that went nowhere. God forbid the precious Duke/UNC hegemony is broken up. Just like psu football, what would the world do without it.

About Mike Rice...

The press including nj for com went to many practices and never reported any thing.

The tape was just a few minutes long edited out of context from thousands of hours of tape.

99% of the players on that tape hated that it was made to make it look like Rice was abusing them when he was just joking around. For example he cut out the part where players were throwing balls at Rice and everyone was laughing and joking around.

The guy who edited the tape created it so he could blackmail Rutgers for money or he was going to the press.

Tin told him to pound sand since it was a nothing burger.

So it was taken to the.press. it blew up as a National story as nj for com and ESPN exploited it for clicks and ratings milking it for all it was worth.

Tim tried to get the truth out but no one wanted to hear the truth or cared about the truth. The tape was too much of a great story for the press.

At the end, Barchi fired Rice and Tim to make the story go away and take the heat off of Rutgers. It worked.

That is the real story as far as I know.
Your right except, to my knowledge Tim told one of the media outlets that Barchi “watched the tape”. Tim could of said he gave the tape to Barchi. Unless Tim sat with Barchi watching the tape together. He can’t say Barchi watched the tape. Even though he did give a copy of the tape.
Tim’s word against Barchi on a major media outlet. You can’t call your boss a liar and keep your job. Not happening.
I liked Pernetti he did a great job here.
On another note Mike Rice had done his penance he shouldn’t have been let go.
No guts Rutgers folded to the biased media again.
Happy to see Barchi took a different approach with the media this time.

Last edited:

Hobbs has done everything possible with the support he’s given. Big Ten programs don’t have local media and academics who want to see the school cancel athletics. The AD isn’t supposed to be a football coach, I’d say he understands the culture of the conference pretty well.

We’re lucky to have Pat, but of course Rutgers can’t help but **** that up too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike from MD
funds priority should go to football because football drives the bus, and has the highest return potential. Every other sport is a loss leader. The other sports got the APC on Livingston which cost $100M and the Rodkin Center which cost $65M. Now football needs a field house to keep pace with our peers.
Then don’t be surprised when Pike leaves and we go back to the level
Your right except, to my knowledge Tim told one of the media outlets that Barchi “watched the tape”. Tim could of said he gave the tape to Barchi. Unless Tim sat with Barchi watching the tape together. He can’t say Barchi watched the tape. Even though he did give a copy of the tape.
Tim’s word against Barchi on a major media outlet. You can’t call your boss a liar and keep your job. Not happening.
I liked Pernetti he did a great job here.
On another note Mike Rice had done his penance he shouldn’t have been let go.
No guts Rutgers folded to the biased media again.
Happy to see Barchi had took a different approachwoth the media this time.
Pernetti did a great job? He hired Flood and Rice. He built no new facilities.

Then don’t be surprised when Pike leaves and we go back to the level

Pernetti did a great job? He hired Flood and Rice. He built no new facilities.
Build new facilities with what s&h green stamps?
Hired Flood, I always say he should have been interim. One year and back to line coach.
Again what were they going to pay a new coach with?
The administration cut the athletic department at the knees. If they had money do they their search would have been limited to Flood and Christobel?
As far as Pernetti he did a great job. Got us into the Big Ten. Can’t take that away from him.

funds priority should go to football because football drives the bus, and has the highest return potential. Every other sport is a loss leader.
As @RUChoppin noted, football driving the bus implies that there is a bus. If all the other sports are starved and left to wither on the vine, then there is no bus. If football is only driving itself, then football is driving a motorcycle.

As @RUChoppin noted, football driving the bus implies that there is a bus. If all the other sports are starved and left to wither on the vine, then there is no bus. If football is only driving itself, then football is driving a motorcycle.

You have to put an engine in a bus before you can drive it. Football is the engine and it needs gasoline. Then you can worry about how nice the seats are.

And it’s factually not true. If football was doing so great during the GS years, where was all the money that was generated to buoy other sports?

Plus, Duke basketball.

Reactions: RUJohnny99
And it’s factually not true. If football was doing so great during the GS years, where was all the money that was generated to buoy other sports?

Plus, Duke basketball.

Do you realize how low the athletic dept was by 1998...football having success couldnt bring it up

Keep crying about lacrosse as if it would be them getting the money over hoops anyhow

Last edited:

It's called the "Big 10 annual payment." - $50-60 million/yr when we're getting a full share.

Do you realize how low the athletic dept was by 1998...football having success couldnt bring it up

Keep crying about lacrosse as if it would be them getting the money over hoops anyhow
I’m not crying. I’m stating facts. You are emotional. BM’s job is to fundraise. Not to take money from all sports and direct it to one.

He failed at his job. BM wasn’t the AD of football. He was the athletic director. That means raising the level of all sports. Like is done at other schools. UConn had no problems winning in other sports while building their football program. There are many other examples.

Fundraising is a huge part of an ADs job. Pat is great at it. BM sucked. Facts.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Cali, not doubting what you are saying about lacrosse back then, but what were the specific things that we didn’t have (other than the Rodkin Center).

I’m not crying. I’m stating facts. You are emotional. BM’s job is to fundraise. Not to take money from all sports and direct it to one.

He failed at his job. BM wasn’t the AD of football. He was the athletic director. That means raising the level of all sports. Like is done at other schools. UConn had no problems winning in other sports while building their football program. There are many other examples.

Mulcahey took over the department after 30 years of neglect. He knew football was the best way out of it. He put all his eggs in one basket.
Now we’ll be getting $40,00,000 per year with the BIG. The result? Look around. New facilities athletic and academic. Better coaches, more scholarships.
A winning environment.Id say he did a pretty good job.
Not saying they need to build a statue of the guy but give him credit, he got us to the promised land.

Cali, not doubting what you are saying about lacrosse back then, but what were the specific things that we didn’t have (other than the Rodkin Center).
Biggest thing is that we were not fully funded. MLAX is allowed a maximum of 12.6 scholarships. We were only funded at in state rates. All of our other conference mates fund at out of state rates. This put us at a huge disadvantage when recruiting oos players. Hobbs fixed this immediately when all others before him stated this was not possible.

Biggest thing is that we were not fully funded. MLAX is allowed a maximum of 12.6 scholarships. We were only funded at in state rates. All of our other conference mates fund at out of state rates. This put us at a huge disadvantage when recruiting oos players. Hobbs fixed this immediately when all others before him stated this was not possible.
I would also add recruiting budget was a joke, as were support levels. Facilities? Somehow worse than when we were there.

Pre game meal? He’s your juice box and energy bar. Nevermind coaching salaries. We didn’t even have the full allotment of coaches.

it was high school levels. BM was a dereliction of duty. I’ll tell a quick story.

When looking for a lax coach, I emailed him some names. I know the landscape well.

His response? One sentence. “Have them email me their resume”. It was then I knew he was a joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Local Shill
J22, Lacrosse would get more fans if they didn’t start the season playing when it is 28 degrees out. Season needs to be pushed way back, same with baseball and softball. Athletes are on campus during the Summer anyway these days. Have the championships on July 4 th weekend Just play at night

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Forget lacrosse. Choose any sport.

And lacrosse has one of the most active alum bases if not the most active.
Don't really pay attention to the Olympics sports much but I'll say this...sports like lacrosse, golf, etc...are usually played by the more affluent and who is to say the next big wig alum (billionaire hopefully lol) doesn't come from one of those sports.

Yes they aren't followed like football, basketball etc..but I wouldn't let them die on the vine either and it definitely can be a good potential donor source for the AD in the future.

Don't really pay attention to the Olympics sports much but I'll say this...sports like lacrosse, golf, etc...are usually played by the more affluent and who is to say the next big wig alum (billionaire hopefully lol) doesn't come from one of those sports.

Yes they aren't followed like football, basketball etc..but I wouldn't let them die on the vine either and it definitely can be a good potential donor source for the AD in the future.
Astute statement. Pat realizes this.

Reactions: KingHigh
Rutgers alumni and friends only need to look inward to find the root cause to the ills of the Athletic Department. The typical Rutgers athletics fan is long winded on complaints but have very shallow pockets. Talk is cheap. The fan base is even cheaper.

When Mulcahey took over the Athletic Department the total advertising budget was $186,000. Cannot blame him for putting his eggs in the football basket. He used a similar strategy for the NJSEA where he used the funds generated from the Meadowlands Race track to build Giants Stadium.

The U of Cincinnati followed a similar strategy. Brian Kelly's football success generated funding to build a successful Athletics Department. U of C athletes at that time credited Football for their great facilities.

RU fans have certainly earned what they paid for. Now you're left arguing over RUReals little shitballs of inside knowledge.

Rutgers alumni and friends only need to look inward to find the root cause to the ills of the Athletic Department. The typical Rutgers athletics fan is long winded on complaints but have very shallow pockets. Talk is cheap. The fan base is even cheaper.

When Mulcahey took over the Athletic Department the total advertising budget was $186,000. Cannot blame him for putting his eggs in the football basket. He used a similar strategy for the NJSEA where he used the funds generated from the Meadowlands Race track to build Giants Stadium.

The U of Cincinnati followed a similar strategy. Brian Kelly's football success generated funding to build a successful Athletics Department. U of C athletes at that time credited Football for their great facilities.

RU fans have certainly earned what they paid for. Now you're left arguing over RUReals little shitballs of inside knowledge.

There was a much better way. See UConn.

Mike, didn’t the Meadowlands Racetrack open only a few months before Giants Stadium. Maybe you are thinking of the Meadowlands Arena which opened a few years later.

Uconn virtually has no football program and they are running back to the Big East and we will be making 40 million more than them..thanks Bob

Mike, didn’t the Meadowlands Racetrack open only a few months before Giants Stadium. Maybe you are thinking of the Meadowlands Arena which opened a few years later.

They used profits from racetrack for alot of stuff there...perhaps even the first Rutgers stadium rennovation

J22, Lacrosse would get more fans if they didn’t start the season playing when it is 28 degrees out. Season needs to be pushed way back, same with baseball and softball. Athletes are on campus during the Summer anyway these days. Have the championships on July 4 th weekend Just play at night
Because the world revolves around NJ!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT