ADVERTISEMENT

It's going down

SO then why did Pernetti issue a public apology, in which he admitted that he mishandled the situation?

He was "thrown under the bus" only after that.
Technically he the hiring, firing, disciplining off coaches is the responsibility of the AD. He was being a stand up guy and accepting responsibility for his job. It’sa bad look to come out and say “I wanted to fire him but my boss wouldn’t let me, do I suspended him”. Even though that’s exactly what happened, you can see how he would get crucified in the media not to mention guaranteeing he gets canned after publicly throwing his own boss under the bus. He was also told he had 100% support from RU administration, which he did until the media turned up the heat and they threw him to the wolves.

Nope. Not correct. While legal council told Pernetti that he could not fire Rice for cause, he always had the option of firing Rice without cause (just like Ash was fired a few weeks ago without cause). Pernetti never made the recommendation to fire Rice without cause, so he was never told that he could not fire Rice without cause. Pernetti made the recommendation to suspend Rice. That was entirely his decision.

This is my recollection as well, because I remember saying at the time that Tim made the wrong decision and should have simply fired the guy.

The remainder of Rice's contract, in the event, would have doubtless gone to some kind of litigation or arbitration and both parties would have settled for something less than the full amount.

Regardless, the inaction / indecisiveness on Tim's part made him look weak.
That’s the public version of the events. Not at all how it actually went down.

Reactions: Caliknight
That’s the public version of the events. Not at all how it actually went down.
It is also the private version of events. And what actually happened.

I get that a lot of people here want to believe a narrative in which Pernetti did not mishandle the Rice situation. I get that Tim was personable and a lot of people liked him. I get that he was a former letterwinner and a lot of his teammates and other letterwinners liked having him as AD.

But the fact remains that he owns the screwups related to Rice. He mishandled the suspension instead of firing. But more importantly, and the fact that everyone overlooks, he hired Rice who was a known hothead and put no monitoring/controls in place. Rice's behavior during practice was on display on the floor of the RAC, in front of the glass-enclosed windows, and in front of whoever was in the RAC on any given day. The situation should have never got to the point where Murdoch Rutgers for copies of the parctice tapes to create a blackmail video. And that is on Pernetti too.

I get that a lot of people here want to believe a narrative in which Pernetti did not mishandle the Rice situation. I get that Tim was personable and a lot of people liked him. I get that he was a former letterwinner and a lot of his teammates and other letterwinners liked having him as AD.

But the fact remains that he owns the screwups related to Rice. He mishandled the suspension instead of firing. But more importantly, and the fact that everyone overlooks, he hired Rice who was a known hothead and put no monitoring/controls in place. Rice's behavior during practice was on display on the floor of the RAC, in front of the glass-enclosed windows, and in front of whoever was in the RAC on any given day. The situation should have never got to the point where Murdoch Rutgers for copies of the parctice tapes to create a blackmail video. And that is on Pernetti too.
I’m not debating whether or not Rice should have been hired or whether TP made mistakes in how things were handled publicly, as those are subjective. I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that Tim was a fall guy. This is not opinion.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I have been reading this thread which is rapidly approaching a modern day version of “War and Peace”. It seems that it is fair to say that there are about a dozen different “Its” that are about to go down on Monday, or not, involving several different hiring and firings, or not, as a result of a possibles conspiracy to take control of the athletic program, or not. Please advise if my assessment is correct, or not.

amp-quot-i-know-something-and-you-don-amp-039-t-amp-quot_o_3327713.jpg
It's still going down.

I’m not debating whether or not Rice should have been hired or whether TP made mistakes in how things were handled publicly, as those are subjective. I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that Tim was a fall guy. This is not opinion.
Except your version is incorrect. Pernetti decided on the decision to suspend rather than fire Rice. That is the recommendation he brought to his management. The narrative that he recommended firing Rice without cause and was overruled is a false narrative. That never happened.

Reactions: bac2therac
It may be going down but sounds like it’s not a given. Let’s see who wins here. Should be interesting.

Should the OP deliver a concession post to the board if it doesn’t happen? This could take time to play out into December.

I wonder if Hobbs isn’t already a dead man walking. RU can have him complete the interview process and hiring of a new HC, with the HC decision ultimately made by the boosters. Then at some point around the holidays Hobbs exits the scene by mutual agreement?

Greg rides into town and the Rebuild begins!

Reactions: ATIOH and T2Kplus10
Should the OP deliver a concession post to the board if it doesn’t happen? This could take time to play out into December.

I wonder if Hobbs isn’t already a dead man walking. RU can have him complete the interview process and hiring of a new HC, with the HC decision ultimately made by the boosters. Then at some point around the holidays Hobbs exits the scene by mutual agreement?

As long as we end up with GS, that's all that matters.

This is 100% false. Pernetti took the evidence to RU legal council and was told it was not a fireable offense for cause. His recommendation to Barchi was to fire Rice but because they could not fire for cause they were on the hook for his contract so Barchi instructed TP to suspend rather than fire Rice. When everything came out in the media Barchi threw TP right under the bus. This is info I received first hand.
I was told this same version by a player's parent.

Add it to the list. Maybe it will go down.

Should the OP deliver a concession post to the board if it doesn’t happen?

Of course.

As @Knight Shift has already said, multiple times, if any of this is wrong, then yeah - mea culpa - and conversations will be had with those sources who contributed to this narrative.

But, again - everything I've posted has been told to me by several people who are typically very well connected. It makes more sense than not that the overall narrative is close to reality.

Reactions: Knightmoves
"Should the OP deliver a concession post to the board if it doesn’t happen?"
More importantly ,if Schiano is hired, and fails miserably will there be massive concession speeches??

Reactions: vkj91
About Mike Rice...

The press including nj for com went to many practices and never reported any thing.

The tape was just a few minutes long edited out of context from thousands of hours of tape.

99% of the players on that tape hated that it was made to make it look like Rice was abusing them when he was just joking around. For example he cut out the part where players were throwing balls at Rice and everyone was laughing and joking around.

The guy who edited the tape created it so he could blackmail Rutgers for money or he was going to the press.

Tin told him to pound sand since it was a nothing burger.

So it was taken to the.press. it blew up as a National story as nj for com and ESPN exploited it for clicks and ratings milking it for all it was worth.

Tim tried to get the truth out but no one wanted to hear the truth or cared about the truth. The tape was too much of a great story for the press.

At the end, Barchi fired Rice and Tim to make the story go away and take the heat off of Rutgers. It worked.

That is the real story as far as I know.

one difference between the basketball Rice/abuse thing, and today's "abuse" of the softball team, is ...video

I believe none of the recent transgressions were videotaped.... If so, it just becomes a story in the newspaper, and probably Hobbs could survive, UNLESS someone is hell bent to get rid of him....but it is a lot harder than with Rice....hell, they even did a saturday night live skit about Rice, you will not see that about the softball issue.

video killed the radio star...... it also killed the Ray Rice pro career
Another HUGE difference is based on what has been reported, there was NO abuse by the softball coach on the level that was in the Rice video. It was small potatoes. Seems like Rutgers Athletics is damned if they do, damned if they don't. Hobbs fired the allegedly "abusive" swimming coach, she sued and won, and Hobbs gets assailed for it. Hobbs stands up for the softball coach after Rutgers did an internal investigation, loses his cool with the press, and he gets assailed for supporting a culture of abuse. You can't have it both ways.

If they fire Hobbs for this softball shit, then the school deserves every national embarrassment it gets.

I don't disagree that he shouldn't be fired for this..but I look it as yet another opportunity to finally get a real AD.

I don't disagree that he shouldn't be fired for this..but I look it as yet another opportunity to finally get a real AD.
Holy triple negative.

I look it as an opportunity to provide another in a long line of reasons why no decent AD candidate would ever consider taking the RU AD job. Why would any reasonable competent person want this job when
1) The press loves taking shots at RU athletics when they do something well; 2) the press loves taking shots at RU athletics when there is a minor issue;
3)The fan support for most sports is weak;
4) The BOG does not support athletics;
5) The legislature does not support athletics and is full of cancel culture losers.

Cliff's Notes:
-Hobbs may get fired.
-Schiano may be the new head coach, being named as early as Monday.

- the tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists are already backtracking as they said :
1) Schiano had already signed but since then BJ was reported to have interviewed after this came out from Knightshift and friends
2) Decision was already made for Hobbs to be fired but then Barchi put out the statement

pretty much, don’t believe anything you read here, no one seems to know anything.

Holy triple negative.

I look it as an opportunity to provide another in a long line of reasons why no decent AD candidate would ever consider taking the RU AD job. Why would any reasonable competent person want this job when
1) The press loves taking shots at RU athletics when they do something well; 2) the press loves taking shots at RU athletics when there is a minor issue;
3)The fan support for most sports is weak;
4) The BOG does not support athletics;
5) The legislature does not support athletics and is full of cancel culture losers.
Except for maybe #3, I wish I could argue with this. :Unhappy:

That has never been confirmed, anywhere.

The outside investigation found ...

"Between November 26, 2012, and December 10, 2012, Pernetti and Purcaro had a series of discussions with Wolf, and, at times, outside counsel. From these consultations, Pernetti and Purcaro came to view the best available options as (i) negotiating a forced resignation, with Coach Rice seeking payment on the remaining portion of his contract; or (ii) disciplining Coach Rice but retaining him as coach. Based on discussions with counsel, Pernetti and Purcaro came to view a firing "for cause" as untenable and fraught with legal risk. For their part, however, Wolf and outside counsel never advised that Coach Rice could not be fired for cause."

Of course, what it doesn't say is two things:

1. If Rice was forced to resign or fired for cause, where was the money coming from to hire a replacement from the outside?, and
2. If Rice was replaced with an assistant on the team (that wouldn't cost additional money), how could that be justified when all of the assistants were well aware of Rice's "abusive" behavior and didn't report it to Pernetti (or anyone else)?

Those are the kinds of questions you leave out of a report when the answers implicate the guy who hired you to make the report.

Reactions: ATIOH and rbled

There was nothing wrong with Rice's coaching style. If he won more games it wouldn't even have been a topic of discussion.

About Mike Rice...

The press including nj for com went to many practices and never reported any thing.

The tape was just a few minutes long edited out of context from thousands of hours of tape.

99% of the players on that tape hated that it was made to make it look like Rice was abusing them when he was just joking around. For example he cut out the part where players were throwing balls at Rice and everyone was laughing and joking around.

The guy who edited the tape created it so he could blackmail Rutgers for money or he was going to the press.

So it was taken to the.press. it blew up as a National story as nj for com and ESPN exploited it for clicks and ratings milking it for all it was worth.

Tim tried to get the truth out but no one wanted to hear the truth or cared about the truth. The tape was too much of a great story for the press.

At the end, Barchi fired Rice and Tim to make the story go away and take the heat off of Rutgers. It worked.

This is all correct ... except you left off the part where that disingenuous c-sucker Jay Bilas (and ESPN) was an accomplice in the blackmail.

Nope. Not correct. While legal council told Pernetti that he could not fire Rice for cause, he always had the option of firing Rice without cause (just like Ash was fired a few weeks ago without cause). Pernetti never made the recommendation to fire Rice without cause, so he was never told that he could not fire Rice without cause. Pernetti made the recommendation to suspend Rice. That was entirely his decision.
Perhaps not.. perhaps Pernetti could not fire him without cause because he couldn't get the budget to do that.

Personally I think the intervention was the right thing to do and Rice was punished and, by all accounts, took the counselling to heart and he survived (for the moment). But Murdock then decided it would be better.. for Murdock, if Rice did not survive that.. so he compiled, edited and shopped the video. Which was theft.. right? Those weren't HIS videos. Rutgers should have backed Pernetti and Rice just like a UNC would have done. Simply say you cannot punish Mike Rice twice. Suitable punishment was handed out and that is that.

Tim made a lot of mistakes.

Why didn't he report the blackmail to the police and upper Rutgers Admin?

He was very naive when he called the media for a meeting ans showed them a copy of the tape and explained the real story that they would report the truth. Of course they didn't scandal sells!

He should had gotten the uncut version of the video put together and get that released.

Instead he tried to take matters into his own hands a botch it every step of the way.

By the time it got to the point where he was talking to consul it was already too late. The court of public opinion had already taken sides and were out for blood thanks to the media blowing it up for ratings.

His fate was sealed.

Reactions: bac2therac
About Mike Rice...

You know what.. someone should go through those tapes and make an alternate video if players got to throw balls back on occasion... my take-away from that whole thing was that Rutgers teaches law, communications, PR, business.. and FAILS to benefit from that time and time again. It always looks like we get the short end on contracts and media interactions and lawsuits, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT