ADVERTISEMENT

It's going down

I'll give you my insights and formula for free. Anytime. No book. No lectures. Just examples and thought process. Plus some luck and good timing lol.
I'm nobody special.

Here's 2 up front. Start saving now and be disciplined, sacrifice, and seek VALUE. ( ok, that's 4 lol). Bonus #5. Find a like minded partner. #6. Find pleasure in less. #7. Defer, defer, and defer. With compounding you'll kick a$$ at 57 to 60!.#8. Minimize taxes now and in the future. As best you can predict. #9. Let your employer pay as much as possible. Max contributions, m ax x. Per diems, allowances, etc.
#10 Always run the numbers. Math is your friend. It never lies to you unless you lie to it.

How's that for some late-night bull crap lol?
And dont get married.

The buzz I'm hearing amounts to a coordinated, high-level booster-led takedown of Pat Hobbs.

Today's news story is not the last - there's more coming.

By Thanksgiving I predict that Pat Hobbs will be our former AD, that Sarah Baumgartner may be our former assistant AD and Greg Schiano will be the next Rutgers football coach.

May God have mercy on our souls.

Two things about this latest Rutgers mess...

No one is taking Hobbs down. He did himself by ignoring a problem with one of his coaches, and acting like a imbecile when he was given the chance to address the issue.

Next, with this latest major scandal in the Athletic Department Schiano isn’t coming anywhere near the place. I honestly don’t know what coach is going to take the job. The only way to give Rutgers Athletics a chance is to completely clean the administrative side of the house and start from scratch.

Major scandal lol...

The "scum" remark is worthy of discussion, but not termination in itself.....as a stand alone thing, a weak issue

More important is/was the handling of the softball coaching
Issue,

Exactly this. Losing his cool on a call with a reporter who wrote a hit piece? Worthy of criticism/discussion, but a far far cry from a fireable offense.

The question is whether the softball complaints were handled by the numbers with appropriate due diligence. If so, then Sarge is all hat and no cattle. If not, then Hobbs is likely toast.

And when you think about it, there are a LOT of parallels between this and the Mulcahy takedown.
Could be.

In the Mulcahy takedown, you had Zoff, who was a political rival of Mulcahy, sitting on the BOG wanting to get rid of Mulcahy for his own purposes. But Zoff had no support from the BOG or University Administration to get rid of Mulcahy. Therefore he needed to leak selective documents to the Star-Ledger to paint the story that Mulcahy was fiscally corrupt. That created the pressure from Trenton to force the BOG's hand.

In this case (and I have no knowledge of the situation, so this is all speculation on my part based on what has been posted on this board), it seems that one or more big donors want to get rid of Hobbs for some reason.

I would guess that Barchi has no interest in hiring a new AD during his last 8 months as University President. I would also guess that the BOG (specifically the Athletic Committee) has no interest in hiring a new AD, and certainly not before a new President gets to select his/her choice. If Barchi or the BOG wanted to replace Hobbs (and certainly the decline of the FB program is enough of a reason for them to do so), they would just replace him without the need for all this drama.

So based on the rumors, it looks like there is someone that wants to get rid of Hobbs, and needs to create a scandal in order for that to happen now. And it looks like it is someone without enough influence to get Hobbs replaced without scandal.

The question is why? There are a couple of possibilities.
  • They want a new coach who is not Schiano and they don't trust Hobbs to make that choice. The problem with this scenario is that if the athletic department is embroiled in scandal for the next 6 weeks, it is going to be hard to attract a qualified candidate to walk into a mess of a football program AND an athletic department in turmoil.
  • They want Schiano and Hobbs is reluctant to hire him. This doesn't make sense if the big boosters are mostly united in wanting Schiano. In that case there is enough money and influence to force Hobbs' hand. Even if the big boosters are split, like this board with 45% in the Schiano or bust category and 55% in the conduct a search which may or may not result in Schiano category, this may not make sense. Creating this turmoil is likely to piss off the other big boosters which would ultimately diminish the influence of those orchestrating this.
  • They want Schiano and Schiano won't come here with Hobbs. This fits with the rumors of Schiano wanting his patsy as AD, and especially the dropping of Marco's name to replace Hobbs. (While Marco is a really nice guy and very good at his current role, he would be an absolute disaster as AD. He has no real managerial or executive experience, which is needed to successfully run a $100 MM organization.)
  • This has nothing to do with the football coaching change. But in that case, why orchestrate this now, instead of waiting 6 weeks until a new FB coach is hired.

It amazes me how some of the so called insiders on this board think it is OK for this to happen. Only in NJ. No other B1G team hires this way.

I think it does...we just don't hear about it because the other B1G programs know how to keep everything quiet

This seems so over the top and bat:Poop crazy, so unlikely to be real.... until you realized the same thing happen before with Mulcahy!

So I don't know what to believe. The softball thing likes like just like the fake Swim story. Rutgers needs to learn from their pass mistakes and NOT RUSH to judgement.

I think it does...we just don't hear about it because the other B1G programs know how to keep everything quiet

In fact this type of backstage madness happens ALL THE TIME. Last time we all saw this play out was in Tennessee with the same HC in question! LOL, how fast people forget.

Why the need for the coup?

The big donors (Brown, Towers, etc.) can simply tell Hobbs they are pulling their funding unless their choice is hired.

There is simply no need to orchestrate this massive conspiracy to get rid of Hobbs, when Hobbs does not have the sole authority to hire the head coach of his choosing.

Why are so many of you feeding into this, I mean what am I missing here?

If this happens and Schiano de facto picks an AD he better not f*** with basketball or I’ll be done with RU athletics. Bball is on the cusp of some special things, last thing we need to do is piss off Pike.
What’s happening at b-ball that’s so great. Yes, we finally didn’t finish last last year. But one of the captains just transferred and we are not close to making any type of post season.

Why the need for the coup?

The big donors (Brown, Towers, etc.) can simply tell Hobbs they are pulling their funding unless their choice is hired.

There is simply no need to orchestrate this massive conspiracy to get rid of Hobbs, when Hobbs does not have the sole authority to hire the head coach of his choosing.

I mean what am I missing here.
You’re missing a behind the scenes aloofness and dismissiveness that rubs some of our most prolific, badly needed and important huge donors the wrong way.
They don’t need much to act

I basically told the OP a year ago in a thread that Schiano was a very strong candidate for coming back and that Hobbs ass would be on the line for bringing Ash back afte refusing donor money to buy him out. In typical fashion, he laughed at it and mocked me...now a year later he is hearing the same thing.

I'm glad you have finally come around and no, I don't expect an apology but maybe don't be so quick to pretend you know more than people.

And @RU848789 also said he had heard similar thing. And you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. As I said above, I am not an insider. I was very skeptical about the Flood coup on the eve of the USF game in 2013, which according to many posters was nearly a done deal, and I turned out to be right on that one.

KS, I respect that you never claim to be an insider. Doesn’t it seem odd that, as someone with no inside information, your name is being used to confirm this story?

Before we drag Numbers’ name into the list of corroborators, let’s look at what he actually said:

RU848789 said:
I hadn't heard about a takedown, per se, but (...) it wouldn't surprise me. Welcome to the cheap seats...

Or we could just ask him. Hey @RU848789, do you think it’s plausible that Schiano could even be the slightest bit involved in an elaborate conspiracy of a hundred moving parts, dragging Rutgers through an athletic scandal, just so that GS could return to the banks?

I don't disagree. Or rather, I agree that parts of it don't seem to really connect.

For example, if Hobbs gets immediately kicked to the curb, who actually hires Schiano?

Are they going to name Marco Battaglia "acting AD" and have him do it?

Actually...
This will be a Carl Kirschner redux.

KS, I respect that you never claim to be an insider. Doesn’t it seem odd that, as someone with no inside information, your name is being used to confirm this story?

Before we drag Numbers’ name into the list of corroborators, let’s look at what he actually said:

Or we could just ask him. Hey @RU848789, do you think it’s plausible that Schiano could even be the slightest bit involved in an elaborate conspiracy of a hundred moving parts, dragging Rutgers through an athletic scandal, just so that GS could return to the banks?
I will go to my second source and try to get more details. But again, my source is as good as anybody else's source, except for perhaps @RUskoolie and a couple of others such as @zappaa . People talk, and sometimes the talk is accurate, and sometimes it is not.

Reactions: ATIOH
If this happens and Schiano de facto picks an AD he better not f*** with basketball or I’ll be done with RU athletics. Bball is on the cusp of some special things, last thing we need to do is piss off Pike.

If Schiano gets control of the athletic dept he will definitely do that. It would be a huge mistake to let him have that and would turn me off big time. Schiano is a control freak and would ruin the other sports. He needs a strong hand above him. It's not like the first time he was hired.

Basketball has a much better chance of succeeding at RU than football. Would be nice to have at least one of them doing well and hopefully the other would follow. Goodale and Pike are great coaches and good guys. They would get sick of Schiano's nation building and political BS really quick.

Hire him (or another qualified candidate) to handle football and give him what he needs to do it. Exactly like Hobbs is doing in the other sports.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
If you guys want the real truth, I have told people behind the scenes that I thought Hobbs wouldn't survive this season and Ash was toast because GS was likely coming back. Said that as far back as last November, it was pretty obvious back then and became extremely obvious to me by late spring 2019.

I'm still 90% sure GS is coming and it's not because we all adore Greg (although a lot of us do), it's because at this time, in the current situation created by Pat Hobbs hire...Greg is the best candidate for the current situation.

I'm not diving into more details, sorry guys.

If the conspiracy theories about this softball incident as being orchestrated to take down Hobbs, then I agree, it's a circus act, just missing the three rings, the spangly girls, and the elephants. Not surprising that the SL is in the middle of it. But, regardless of the alleged cursing by Hobbs, I think the softball team's claim that the athletic dept. knew about the harassment but did not act to discipline or fire the coaches is what will take him down.

If the conspiracy theories about this softball incident as being orchestrated to take down Hobbs, then I agree, it's a circus act, just missing the three rings, the spangly girls, and the elephants. Not surprising that the SL is in the middle of it. But, regardless of the alleged cursing by Hobbs, I think the softball team's claim that the athletic dept. knew about the harassment but did not act to discipline or fire the coaches is what will take him down.

You're assuming the alleged harassment is a fact. The SL article is terribly one-sided. Every dispute has at least two sides, depending on perspective, as possibly more. We need to hear the other side of the story, but everything is clouded now because of Hobbs' antics.

Reactions: Knight Shift
What a cluster if Hobbs is strongarm and forced to hire Schiano over some other HC he actually prefers... yeah, that won't be toxic at all.

Don't hire Schiano and he will seal his fate and get forced out.

Hire Schiano and he will create a toxic environment that will ultimately lead to him getting forced out unless he stays on his lane and gives Schiano everything he wants.

If you guys want the real truth, I have told people behind the scenes that I thought Hobbs wouldn't survive this season and Ash was toast because GS was likely coming back. Said that as far back as last November, it was pretty obvious back then and became extremely obvious to me by late spring 2019.

I'm still 90% sure GS is coming and it's not because we all adore Greg (although a lot of us do), it's because at this time, in the current situation created by Pat Hobbs hire...Greg is the best candidate for the current situation.

Skoolie had this situation pegged before anyone else.

What a cluster if Hobbs is strongarm and forced to hire Schiano over some other HC he actually prefers... yeah, that won't be toxic at all.

Don't hire Schiano and he will seal his fate and get forced out.

Hire Schiano and he will create a toxic environment that will ultimately lead to him getting forced out unless he stays on his lane and gives Schiano everything he wants.
Why shouldn’t Schiano get everything he wants?

Is Sarah getting any heat over this 'abuse' issue? She's Deputy AD, so not the figurehead, but she's the one who is responsible for softball (and was a former softball player herself).

Reactions: SCILS02

Why shouldn’t Schiano get everything he wants?

Agree. Whatever FB coach is hired should get 100% support, especially in the first few years, to right this capsized ship, pump out the water, and replace the destroyed masts and rigging. The AD's job should be to make the hire, then say "yes" to that hire for the conceivable future while focusing attention on facilities and non-football sports.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
I think the story here is being made more dramatic than it seems.

Donors wanted Ash fired last year and Schiano hired and Hobbs wouldnt do it for some god forsaken reason

Hobbs fires Ash and donors want Schiano immediately hired, Hobbs will not do that

Donors who pay the bills want Schiano no matter what so the only way to do that is try and get rid of Hobbs

I think the OP is being a drama queen tying the softball story into it, the donors didnt create the story, the donors didnt create the outburst, so right there the argument falls apart

Now will the donors use this as a way to get rid of Hobbs..of course, he served it up to them. Thats not a coup

I think some people truly have their head in the sand on how embarrassing our football program truly is in the past 4 years. That is on Hobbs, too many people have for some reason excused his horrible decision with football. You cannot get around it no matter how much money you raise....and Hobbs did a great job fundraising but now all of a sudden we are hearing all this other staff posted here about not keeping up with the athletic department, if true then that is the kind of stuff that is a game changer.

I think the story here is being made more dramatic than it seems.

Donors wanted Ash fired last year and Schiano hired and Hobbs wouldnt do it for some god forsaken reason

Hobbs fires Ash and donors want Schiano immediately hired, Hobbs will not do that

Donors who pay the bills want Schiano no matter what so the only way to do that is try and get rid of Hobbs

I think the OP is being a drama queen tying the softball story into it, the donors didnt create the story, the donors didnt create the outburst, so right there the argument falls apart

Now will the donors use this as a way to get rid of Hobbs..of course, he served it up to them. Thats not a coup
That sounds like some mob stuff right there

Isn't it more like or partly Greg Brown's hire? After all, Barry Alvarez, who is tight with Greg Brown, suggested Chris Ash. I doubt Hobbs pulled that name out of his hat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT