ADVERTISEMENT

It's going down

Ha! Now this is entertainment. It's like the script in my head is coming true.

Hobbs is a dipshit. Arrogant chompers cost this program way more than the money he supposedly raised.

Good riddance to bad rubbash.

Man. Rutgers making friggin Washington, DC look like a place of decorum and civility lol!!!!

Who knew we were (potentially) SO good at creating discourse and plot-lines to remove folks in power?

IF SO WHY didn't we figure out a way to get rid of ASH sooner ???!!!
AND why aren't we operating in Venezuela?

Really? Did you think that about the Ash firing -- that Hobbs was taking "away a man's livelihood? Or did you think the firing was good. What Hobbs has done is way out of line for someone who is supposed to be a leading executive.
Go back to Berkeley. Old hippie tool.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
With Hobbs, it all comes down to managing your own emotions. He fails in that regard. There is no excuse for infantile rants.

And for those on this board who consider themselves conservative, isn't a tenet of conservatism the importance of accepting personal responsibility for one's own behavior??

Last edited:
Reactions: MidwestKnights
Pike has made enough progress that he will be fine no matter who takes over if and when Hobbs gets canned.

Coaches typically like working for AD's that hire them. AD's like having coaches they hired.

Hobbs leaves, Pike has a break out year, well...

On a side note, why would a coach ever come to Rutgers. They all get in trouble if they are lucky enough to somehow win here.

He's paid a lot of money and one of his responsibilities is to deal with situations like this without losing his cool. If he can't do it, he needs to be gone.

Seriously. Enough. The article clearly was a hit piece. God forbid somebody speaks their mind. Hobb's had every right to be pissed the f'ck off. We eat our own in this state. Maybe it's time to change that tactic.

Reactions: RUonBrain
If it were only an "alleged" response, Hobbs would have said so by now. Instead, he apologized in a text, which of course can be preserved.

So a non-denial is an admission? Thanks, professor. Keep on supporting the very people who have utterly ruined the reputation of Rutgers in New Jersey for their own self-gain.

Maybe if more people at Rutgers got mad instead of caving when the SL does what they do, the school would be better off for it. Enough is enough.

Last edited:
You know what's cool?

I'm retired.
Its Wed nite late.
I'm going back to having a drink. having a smoke. And listening to some music AND I don't have to get up for work or class!

Was just watching a great new Netflix show about late 60's music..5 years before my awakening lol. ("echos in the canyon" ? ) Jacob Dylan hosting..

Sorry fellas. Carry on. Something tells me they'll be more Rutgers Drama tomorrow.
Peace out.

Really? Did you think that about the Ash firing -- that Hobbs was taking "away a man's livelihood? Or did you think the firing was good. What Hobbs has done is way out of line for someone who is supposed to be a leading executive.
Firing people is a part of the job, and he deserved to be fired. He may have been out of line, but it happens. He’s a human, who is under pressure, and he lost his cool. No need for you to be out for blood. Don’t you have anything better to do?

Last edited:
Except Farmer is not a politician. So there you go again.
You don't have to run for office to be a politician. If you don't think Farmer is a politician because he now holds a position at RU than it pains me to say this but you have no idea what is going on in NJ Politics.

I don't disagree. Or rather, I agree that parts of it don't seem to really connect.

For example, if Hobbs gets immediately kicked to the curb, who actually hires Schiano?

Are they going to name Marco Battaglia "acting AD" and have him do it?

Actually...
Wow, I guess I picked the wrong day to quit sniffin' glue. I've been off the grid since about noon, as I had a meeting in PA, then played a few hours of poker at Parx and then went to a very late dinner with my wife and just got back.

So, I come back to softballgate, followed by Hobbs saying really stupid shit to the press and people questioning his future at RU I think it's quite possible the rumors you're hearing are true about orchestrating Hobbs's downfall.

Not sure if you noticed, but I made a couple of posts over the last week saying Hobbs was on thin ice, from what my sources say, related to his mismanagement of the football program and booster concerns over hiring someone worse than Schiano, plus I've also heard that Hobbs is a great fundraiser, but an absentee landlord of the athletic department. I hadn't heard about a takedown, per se, but given what I had already heard, it wouldn't surprise me. Welcome to the cheap seats...

What I have heard as well. We got what we deserved hiring a SHU law school dean to run a BIG athletic program.
Again, another one (or maybe the same one) omitting facts to fit a narrative.
Hobbs was acting AD at Seton Hall for a couple of years, hired their current very successful basketball coach and was involved in building of the Prudential Center in Newark. Have a nice night with your other narratives.

I would like to believe this about Hobbs, but the attention to detail under Hobbs in many areas of the program has been abysmal - from the ticket office, to website usability, to credit card machines and general customer service all have been horrible.
Yep, I just posted something similar about him being an absentee landlord. In addition to your nuggets, the worst failure (outside of hiring Ash) is that he had 3+ years to set up a game at Rutgers - you know the Birthplace of College Football - on the 150th anniversary of that birth and we get some reenactment and a panel discussion and probably some trophies or something.

You know what's cool?

I'm retired.
Its Wed nite late.
I'm going back to having a drink. having a smoke. And listening to some music AND I don't have to get up for work or class!

Was just watching a great new Netflix show about late 60's music..5 years before my awakening lol. ("echos in the canyon" ? ) Jacob Dylan hosting..

Sorry fellas. Carry on. Something tells me they'll be more Rutgers Drama tomorrow.
Peace out.
How do I get your life?

Wow, I guess I picked the wrong day to quit sniffin' glue. I've been off the grid since about noon, as I had a meeting in PA, then played a few hours of poker at Parx and then went to a very late dinner with my wife and just got back.

So, I come back to softballgate, followed by Hobbs saying really stupid shit to the press and people questioning his future at RU I think it's quite possible the rumors you're hearing are true about orchestrating Hobbs's downfall.

Not sure if you noticed, but I made a couple of posts over the last week saying Hobbs was on thin ice, from what my sources say, related to his mismanagement of the football program and booster concerns over hiring someone worse than Schiano, plus I've also heard that Hobbs is a great fundraiser, but an absentee landlord of the athletic department. I hadn't heard about a takedown, per se, but given what I had already heard, it wouldn't surprise me. Welcome to the cheap seats...

And when you think about it, there are a LOT of parallels between this and the Mulcahy takedown.

And when you think about it, there are a LOT of parallels between this and the Mulcahy takedown.
So expect a token puppet for an AD who can't scratch his ass without Emperor Schiano's say so. That's gonna work out so well in a P5 conference. Staging a coup for a lifetime .500 coach is a clown move.

Yep, I just posted something similar about him being an absentee landlord. In addition to your nuggets, the worst failure (outside of hiring Ash) is that he had 3+ years to set up a game at Rutgers - you know the Birthplace of College Football - on the 150th anniversary of that birth and we get some reenactment and a panel discussion and probably some trophies or something.
A panel discussion where our own AD (for now) is not on the panel, but Barry Alvarez, pal of Greg Brown and the guy who helped foist Ash on Rutgers, is on the panel. We bought our tickets for the show, and we are bringing 5 gallon buckets of popcorn.
giphy.gif

Again, another one (or maybe the same one) omitting facts to fit a narrative.
Hobbs was acting AD at Seton Hall for a couple of years, hired their current very successful basketball coach and was involved in building of the Prudential Center in Newark. Have a nice night with your other narratives.
He led the SHU athletic dept from July 2010 thru Feb 2011 a grand total of 7 months.

Read this review of Athletics from Joe Quinlan
https://issuu.com/setonhallpirates/docs/2009-10_annual_report

On Page 3 he mentions the hiring of Willard before he got canned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve91562
You know what's cool?

I'm retired.
Its Wed nite late.

Peace out.
17 days left for me, lol.

The list of basic management failures have really been stunning. Many of us have written about these issues since he was hired (let's not forget running on the court after a SHU victory while being the AD at RU - extremely un professional).

Of course these shortcomings have been glossed over by the "He is a great fundraiser" argument. But starting with the Towers tweet real holes are being shot into that argument.

I can confirm that Hobbs is pretty unpopular among the rank and file staff at athletics and the senior admin at rest of the U. He has his allies, but everything I’ve heard is that the general consensus is that people just don’t like they guy on a personal level.

Reactions: RUBOWLMAN78
He led the SHU athletic dept from July 2010 thru Feb 2011 a grand total of 7 months.
Great stat - How the hell did that resume morph into a B1G AD position. Of course we all know how that happened.

But while the SHI about softball is hitting the fan I can't help but speculate that someone is going to look at how Hobb's agent was allowed to negotiate with himself for the Ash seven year debacle. Accountability!

Except it's 'Freedom of Information Act', aka "FOIA".

And as I indicated, there's no content in the article that would have been, of necessity, so sourced.
FOIA is Federal.
In New Jersey it is the Open Public Records Act aka OPRA.

OP indicates a preemptive firing of ash in order to save his job by not wanting to have to hire a new athletic director at the same time as a football coach - wow just wow if true.

I knew Hobbs had been out front in the public eye/tv more than many have liked, but this level of self dealing iand protectionism would be beyond anything to be expected. And to what end? So that he can have his own hire and put his stamp on things with a huge mustache drawing ?

Reactions: Steve91562

Read this review of Athletics from Joe Quinlan
https://issuu.com/setonhallpirates/docs/2009-10_annual_report

On Page 3 he mentions the hiring of Willard before he got canned. Do you ever get anything right?
Wrong again. Try harder.

Hobbs fired Bobby Gonzalez in March, 2010. The press release said that Hobbs was overseeing athletics since July, which would have been July of 2009.

https://www.nj.com/sports/2019/03/w...y-want-to-dance-with-coach-kevin-willard.html

Willard was initially hired in 2010 by Patrick Hobbs, who left Seton Hall in 2015 to become the Rutgers athletic director. In 2011, Lyons left Iona, where he was also Willard’s boss, to become the athletic director at Seton Hall.

https://www.nj.com/setonhall/2010/01/seton_hall_athletic_director_j.html

Reactions: jerzeyguy
Great stat - How the hell did that resume morph into a B1G AD position. Of course we all know how that happened.

But while the SHI about softball is hitting the fan I can't help but speculate that someone is going to look at how Hobb's agent was allowed to negotiate with himself for the Ash seven year debacle. Accountability!
That poster has no idea what he is talking about.

Reactions: jerzeyguy
I see no way how this helps the cause for anyone who wants Schiano here. What qualified coach wants to work for an AD who curses out the media on a whim? Greg Schiano or otherwise. This is looking like Julie Hermann 2.0 right now and only furthers the narrative of Rutgers dysfunction, no coach wants to sign on for that.

And I’m not defending NJ.com here, those guys have been so unfair to this program it’s ridiculous.

Everyone who cares enough to post on this board deserves better than this.

I see no way how this helps the cause for anyone who wants Schiano here. What qualified coach wants to work for an AD who curses out the media on a whim? Greg Schiano or otherwise. This is looking like Julie Hermann 2.0 right now and only furthers the narrative of Rutgers dysfunction, no coach wants to sign on for that.

And I’m not defending NJ.com here, those guys have been so unfair to this program it’s ridiculous.

Everyone who posts on this board deserves better than this.
Please not everyone. We have a lot of trolls and people who seem to revel in bad news for RU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT