ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Jaden Jones to the NBA Draft

This kid has been a known commodity since he was 10

6 games at DasCHE HS in Texas, Sr year Nov and Dec 2020, 29pt 7reb, 17pts 5reb, 29pts 12reb, 26pt 13reb, 37pts 8reb, and 25pts, shot 2pt 58-76 76%, 3 pt range 12-32 38%, averaged 1.5 steals in 6 games before he enrolled early Jan 2021. And that was when he was 6'7 195, he's 6'8 or 6'9 220 now.

He's not getting drafted off his tape as a 10 year old

if so, I would've been a lottery pick after winning first Place at the Dave Odom Basketball Camp down at Wake Forest

Last edited:
He did not play D and had one of the slowest motors I’ve seen but unless we are missing something ( and we very could be), there seems to be no reason for him to get as little time as he did. How in the world was he behind Palmquist when everyone knew he had real potential?

He did not play D and had one of the slowest motors I’ve seen but unless we are missing something ( and we very could be), there seems to be no reason for him to get as little time as he kid. How in the world was he behind Palmquist when everyone knew he had real potential?
There's probably a story behind the story here. Pikes and the staff had to know/figured out he wasn't sticking around for another year, and still had hopes Palmquist could hit 3's.

44th in the country according to the selection committee. So we are actually in top 13% of all D1 teams.

Okay. And where do we rank among power 5 schools? Basically somewhere in the middle right?

Serious question: What will Pike say when one of the NBA evaluators asks, “Why didn’t you play him more?”

There's probably a story behind the story here. Pikes and the staff had to know/figured out he wasn't sticking around for another year, and still had hopes Palmquist could hit 3's.
I think some of it had to do with the margin of error after the horrific start. We couldn't afford to use those minutes as a teaching tool when each conference loss could have been the difference between the tournament and not. If we had one loss coming into conference play, I could've seen Jaden playing some minutes in the rotation.. Even with the bad start though, I feel he should have given Jaden some minutes to gain experience and strengthen his level of comfort

The Jones I saw on the court was NOT a “PTPer”, as Dickie V says. Brick city. You honestly think he would be riding the pine if he was a friggin lights out shooter? He either a choker, or he’s over rated. Big time. Lost on D. Good luck… and don’t forget your EZPass…

I think some of it had to do with the margin of error after the horrific start. We couldn't afford to use those minutes as a teaching tool when each conference loss could have been the difference between the tournament and not. If we had one loss coming into conference play, I could've seen Jaden playing some minutes in the rotation.. Even with the bad start though, I feel he should have given Jaden some minutes to gain experience and strengthen his level of comfort
He did!!! Did you not watch???

This is actually a great put on story- a guy who cant play b10 D remotely and has no bona fide tape is going to the league- like that cal recruit who had a signing day press conference and it turned out Cal never heard of him.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DirtyRU
Getting the 4 seed on tie breakers and being in the first four is fairly middling for a power conference team, yes.

From a tournament perspective, we're squarely in the middle. (32nd overall seed among 76 possible high major teams).

From a conference record perspective, 24 of 76 power conference schools were in the top 4 seeds in their conference tournaments, putting us in the upper third (we tied for 4th, but were 2-0 against the teams we tied with).

Don't know if I'd call that middling - but I think it's probably just semantics.

I cannot believe that JJ thinks he has a real shot. No NBA body nor any kind of resume.

I often assume that every decision has real logic to it.. no matter how strained that logic must be. But for the life of me, I cannot figure out what the logical play here is. I do not know enough about the rules.

My assumption would be he gets some professional testing and training but must make it seem like he is REALLY going to the draft with expectation.. or the NCAA will not allow him back in college (to Rutgers or to transfer).

Another possibility is that he is being played by some agent type. If he declares he can sign a contract and get locked up even if he goes back to college. Perhaps said agent gets to put him up for bid for an NIL deal in college.

Again, no idea what is going on with this.. but I bet if we really knew what is going on it would make logical sense.. perhaps not in JJ's best interests.. but in someone's.

I cannot believe that JJ thinks he has a real shot. No NBA body nor any kind of resume.

I often assume that every decision has real logic to it.. no matter how strained that logic must be. But for the life of me, I cannot figure out what the logical play here is. I do not know enough about the rules.

My assumption would be he gets some professional testing and training but must make it seem like he is REALLY going to the draft with expectation.. or the NCAA will not allow him back in college (to Rutgers or to transfer).

Another possibility is that he is being played by some agent type. If he declares he can sign a contract and get locked up even if he goes back to college. Perhaps said agent gets to put him up for bid for an NIL deal in college.

Again, no idea what is going on with this.. but I bet if we really knew what is going on it would make logical sense.. perhaps not in JJ's best interests.. but in someone's.
He might just be delusional. It would explain his lack of playing time here. That said, I don’t know the kid and have no inside info.

Reactions: kcg88

I think he's just getting some really bad advice from people who don't have a realistic understanding of his situation.

There's nothing wrong with getting an NBA evaluation and understanding what he needs to work on from the people who are making these sorts of decisions. His message didn't seem to be that, though - it really seemed like he had actual expectations that his next career step was being drafted.

I just hope he doesn't sign with some unscrupulous agent and end up being blocked from returning to college. I doubt he's coming back to "Rutger's" (this was a wordier version of "JY out" to me) but I hope he doesn't throw away his chance to improve in college on a pipe dream.

I think he's just getting some really bad advice from people who don't have a realistic understanding of his situation.

There's nothing wrong with getting an NBA evaluation and understanding what he needs to work on from the people who are making these sorts of decisions. His message didn't seem to be that, though - it really seemed like he had actual expectations that his next career step was being drafted.

I just hope he doesn't sign with some unscrupulous agent and end up being blocked from returning to college. I doubt he's coming back to "Rutger's" (this was a wordier version of "JY out" to me) but I hope he doesn't throw away his chance to improve in college on a pipe dream.
Why would an agent sign a kid that has no shot of going pro (at least not yet)

Why would an agent sign a kid that has no shot of going pro (at least not yet)
a percentage of ANYTHING he may get in the future... lock him up NOW with fairy tales when the real payoff comes if Pike and Staff (or other coaches and facilities) and Jaden himself turns him into a marketable commodity.

Now.. that is just the "irish cop" brain in me trying to see motives where there may be none. We're a naturally suspicious breed.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Here is a telling quote from Jaden's dad: "His coaches and other sources made me aware of NBA scouts that found him very intriguing. I think that he is a first rounder. Can't wait for teams to work him out."
His dad wasn’t happy with his role. I don’t blame him. I love my son irrationally as well.
Unfortunately he is not a fort or second rounder. I hope he improves so he can play someplace.

Here is a telling quote from Jaden's dad: "His coaches and other sources made me aware of NBA scouts that found him very intriguing. I think that he is a first rounder. Can't wait for teams to work him out."
This is the result of having lofty expectations coming out of high school, and crashing on the reality of the college game. Just because you dominate the people on your high school squad and in your high school division, it doesn't mean you are ready to be an immediate starter on a high major team.

Jones got plenty of minutes at the start of this year to prove he was at the level he needed to be for our eight-man rotation, and he clearly needed more work. His offense wasn't there, his defense wasn't there, and that was against the easier portion of the schedule. Another off-season of work, and next year had plenty of minutes opening up for him if he was willing to fight for them.... But it seems like his handlers expect minutes to be gifted on a silver platter instead of earned.

Four-star ratings and a few bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I think it was clear that Pikiell's initial intention was to play Jones in the rotation and redshirt Miller, but Jones wasn't hitting his marks and the script got flipped as the season progressed, with Miller getting the minutes and Jones watching from the bench.

I still think Jones has a ton of talent, and a high ceiling, but he has not shown anything on the court yet that has lived up to his potential.

Working out and playing are two completely different things.
However, most coach’s and organizations believe they can make a player out of raw talent.
I’ve heard “get that kid, I’ll make him a player” to many times to count.
I’ve seen it work and not work, so you never know what’s going to happen.
I’ve never heard of an organization using a 1st round pick to do it, raw players with huge upside have still had success…this kids had none

I will be SHOCKED beyond imagination if he is a 1st rounder this year. I will be SHOCKED to the limits of imagination if he is drafted in the 2nd round this year.

Guy is in denial over his basketball career. There is much more to the Jaden Jones story than many of you seem to know. He was getting national attention back when he was in 5th grade. From 5th grade until early High School the kid was told by virtually everyone he wasn't just going to be a first rounder, but a GOAT in the Association. He likely is struggling with the fall from grace from that to having to put in significant work just to be very good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT