ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Niemann Will Call D Plays-Comments on Linebackers

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
These guys don't pull any punches.

Coach Niemann on the linebackers:

“It’s a mess simply because we have lots guys that are competing,” Niemann said. “They’re all trying to learn a new defense and right now we’re just rotating guys through, trying to give them equal reps until we can figure out if there’s a little bit of separation between guys.”

Niemann, whose coaching career began in 1985, can’t recall ever simultaneously breaking in an entirely new linebacker corps. Considering the change in scheme, is there a silver lining to the lack of experience?

“Well, you don’t have to de-program them from something different that they’ve already learned and go through that process,” Niemann said. “Everybody’s starting with a clean slate and working from the ground level up. So from that perspective that’s a positive.’’

He is right about one thing, when you don't have to "unteach" bad or different habits you can get right into teaching it the way you want it. Over my teaching and coaching career I coached many sports at different levels from 8th grade thru varsity HS. I had an 8th grade boys basketball team had an 8th grade girls field hockey. Unteaching the boys bad shooting habits was a nightmare but I could start the girls field hockey on the proper techniques immedialely. The girls showed improvement within a week. Hopefully they get these linebackers coached up quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT