ADVERTISEMENT

Kratch and Politi

Their goal isn’t to build up the program!

their goal is to create headlines..

what about that don’t you get?
Lol ok …
You and I clearly have trouble communicating so I’m just gonna leave it there. Good evening sir.

I’ve worked with hundreds of beat writers across dozens of newspapers.
Not one has ever told me their goal was to build the program they cover. Heck, they’d rather the program they cover sucks (hence less work and a shorter season).

this constant thought on these boards really make me scratch my head..

As someone who use to read the ledger for Rutgers sports coverage ...I almost never get any of my news and information from them

and I don’t miss one bit....

Reactions: Scarlet83
that’s fine.

And you don’t remember greg screwing up a New Hampshire game? Or cinci gane?

it’s not about games they screwed up though. Flood has one of the best records I. Ru history, In the toughest conference in ru history
Yea you're right. Flood, with his glistening record at Rutgers, left this program in a great place when he got himself fired. I guess I should appreciate and miss his coaching more.

He sucked as a coach here. He should've been fired after his first year. If you paid attention to his coaching, you would've seen things were regressing in that first year. What some of you guys don't seem to understand is that the culture that is established within the program and preparation and attention to detail for each game are part of gameday. You can't split these things up no matter how much you want to try. Because when you fall behind 20-3 at Michigan at halftime and don't flinch and fight your way back into a game, that is part of game day coaching. That is the very fabric of this program. And that is exactly what Flood had no idea of how to instill in the program. And it would show on game day. And that is one of the reasons he sucked as a head coach here.

Yea you're right. Flood, with his glistening record at Rutgers, left this program in a great place when he got himself fired. I guess I should appreciate and miss his coaching more.

He sucked as a coach here. He should've been fired after his first year. If you paid attention to his coaching, you would've seen things were regressing in that first year. What some of you guys don't seem to understand is that the culture that is established within the program and preparation and attention to detail for each game are part of gameday. You can't split these things up no matter how much you want to try. Because when you fall behind 20-3 at Michigan at halftime and don't flinch and fight your way back into a game, that is part of game day coaching. That is the very fabric of this program. And that is exactly what Flood had no idea of how to instill in the program. And it would show on game day. And that is one of the reasons he sucked as a head coach here.
You’re exactly right..but nothing you mention regards his GAME DAY coaching.

you guys are so defensive on Greg..who’s done phenomenal thing here.

Give me greg from 6pm last Saturday to 3:29 pm Saturday. Give me Flood from 3:30 Saturday til 7pm. Let Greg take it from 7:01 Saturday this week til 3:29 Saturday, then give me Flood,

would be the perfect coach for RU

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
Over the years many RU fans have understood how the Star Liar attacks RU FB any way it can and sometimes their attack hits below the belt by turning progress into failure.

The Star Ledger should be looked upon as we should look on anyone or thing that wants to hurt the chances of Rutgers being considered a national respected program by the residents of New Jersey and in doing so hurt everyone that wants to see RU FB become a success .

Don't expect the so called sports department of the Newark Star Ledger to change, now, from what it was when this article was put out
Keep digging that hole (Star Liar)- On the Banks
http://www.onthebanks.com/2008/08/03/keep-digging-that-hole

or when RU Fans had to place this in that rag ( in which it hide the ad in a little viewd section)
1-0c7242d711.png

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/924/gTlJZO.jpg
I wrote that ad. Brings me joy anytime someone remembers it.

In Flood's third year, he was 8-5 and 3-5 in the B1G in Rutgers' first year in the conference. This was regressing? There was no preparation for these B1G games?
You seem to forget that Flood was paid peanuts, he had less than peanuts to hire coordinators and assistants, and he had a clown for an AD running a 3 ring circus. When Rutgers finally ponied up money to hire Friedgen, he had a decent year. There were other issues regarding his lack of discipline and off the field issues. He was not a good recruiter either. There was some good and some bad. He needed to go.

Their goal isn’t to build up the program!

their goal is to create headlines..

what about that don’t you get?
Exactly right. Sometimes they are positive slants and sometimes they are not. The goal for them is to focus on topics that are going to draw the most readers, period. It’s click bait that can be entertaining but if you don’t like the angle then don’t read it.

But they aren’t anti Rutgers. And they certainly aren’t anti Schiano. Do I need to dig up the link to Politi’s article when GS was hired - “Rutgers fans can take a bow” I think it was called. Their episode on the Rant about it was awesome too and 5 minutes into it you could tell that all 3 of them were thrilled for him to be coming back.

Bottom line is they likely got a ton of shout outs during the game about the 4th and 10 call and decided it would be a topic that would draw an audience following the game to focus on. There’s nothing more to this. I’m sure it will be discussed more on tomorrow’s episode too because insiders probably asked about it.

^^^^THIS X INFINITY^^^

Exactly right. Sometimes they are positive slants and sometimes they are not. The goal for them is to focus on topics that are going to draw the most readers, period. It’s click bait that can be entertaining but if you don’t like the angle then don’t read it.

But they aren’t anti Rutgers. And they certainly aren’t anti Schiano. Do I need to dig up the link to Politi’s article when GS was hired - “Rutgers fans can take a bow” I think it was called. Their episode on the Rant about it was awesome too and 5 minutes into it you could tell that all 3 of them were thrilled for him to be coming back.

Bottom line is they likely got a ton of shout outs during the game about the 4th and 10 call and decided it would be a topic that would draw an audience following the game to focus on. There’s nothing more to this. I’m sure it will be discussed more on tomorrow’s episode too because insiders probably asked about it.

this.

when we start winning big games our articles will be more positive, c’mon guys.

Yes, I think that's mostly it. I think they actually do root for Rutgers in their cynical reporterish ways. I also think that they know that a big time Rutgers is good for business and good for their job security. So they want the program to grow. But it's also true that they make their bosses happy when they generate clicks on stories. And sensationalism and controversy generate clicks. So all that is going on inside their heads.

Yes, I think that's mostly it. I think they actually do root for Rutgers in their cynical reporterish ways. I also think that they know that a big time Rutgers is good for business and good for their job security. So they want the program to grow. But it's also true that they make their bosses happy when they generate clicks on stories. And sensationalism and controversy generate clicks. So all that is going on inside their heads.

I could almost guarantee you kratch doesn’t root for rutgers

He's had the shortest tenure of the three. I think he'd like to see RU do well. Just guessing though. And certainly he cares way less than Politi/Sarge who I think have a genuine soft spot for Rutgers.

just curious - why do you say that? I’m not disagreeing. If you asked me which one cares the least about RU one way or the other I’d have named him too but I think on any given day when a Pike team takes on a mid-major he’d rather us win than not, for example. No?

Flood did not suck as a head coach here, he was average, he had some good qualities and some faults. Flood was 9-4 in his first year with a 3 point bowl loss to VT. 6-7 in year two with a loss to ND in the bowl, tied at the half. The AD wanted to can Flood after year 2 but did not, however it become public and left Flood as a lame duck hampering recruiting. Year three 8-5 with a dominant win against NC in the bowl. 23- 16 and bowled each year. Year four was the 4-8 year and he is fired. Ash inherits a team with Laviano (60% completion and 16/12 TD/Int), Martin, Goodwin, Hicks, Harris, Patton, Grant and 3 and 4 star OL’s. D had Pinnix Odrick, Joseph, Hampton, Turay and others. Also remember year 3 & 4 of Flood we moved to the B10, playing OSU, PSU, Mich and Mich St every year and he got Neb and Wisc both years. To be objective look at our schedule in 2015 when Flood was let go vs Schiano's last in 2011, no comparison on strength. Schiano is definitely better overall and is above average and is doing a nice job with the turnaround, but has faults. Ash had no strengths whatsoever, a failure on every level, he sucked.

He's had the shortest tenure of the three. I think he'd like to see RU do well. Just guessing though. And certainly he cares way less than Politi/Sarge who I think have a genuine soft spot for Rutgers.

again..just going by people I know..best writers HATE good teams…equals more work.

Politi is a columnist so he’s gonna work regardless..maybe he has a soft spot

just curious - why do you say that? I’m not disagreeing. If you asked me which one cares the least about RU one way or the other I’d have named him too but I think on any given day when a Pike team takes on a mid-major he’d rather us win than not, for example. No?

again..good teams = more work, these beat writers don’t wanna work on Christmas, New Years, etc.

What happened was.... they watched the first half and decided on their stories then. They couldn't do any more actual "work" and write about the whole game.

In general, everyone WRITING about sports would love to be on-camera TV journalists talking about sports. But among writers.. everyone writing for college football in this area would love to be covering the NFL teams. So there is that animosity.

Then, if forced to write about college football.. Rutgers is too small time.. another insult for them. Not of NATIONAL importance.. which makes them unimportant by extension.

Flood wasn’t a good in-game coach. Do you remember how in 2012 he was ultra conservative toward year end how that cost us. I think Schiano has significantly improved his coaching—this isn’t 2002.

In Flood's third year, he was 8-5 and 3-5 in the B1G in Rutgers' first year in the conference. This was regressing? There was no preparation for these B1G games?
You seem to forget that Flood was paid peanuts, he had less than peanuts to hire coordinators and assistants, and he had a clown for an AD running a 3 ring circus. When Rutgers finally ponied up money to hire Friedgen, he had a decent year. There were other issues regarding his lack of discipline and off the field issues. He was not a good recruiter either. There was some good and some bad. He needed to go.
Yes, the program was regressing. It regressed the first year he was here. I really don't feel like arguing anymore about Kyle Flood. He shouldn't have been a head coach at a big 10 school. He sucked at running a program. Greg Schiano prepared this Rutgers team better than Kyle Flood. You are admitting it yourself. If you want to think things were running ok, that's your prerogative. I'm not dismissing the shortcomings of the athletic department. They were real. But things proved out that Kyle Flood was not the guy to lead a major college program.

You guys sticking up for Flood must not have any idea about what goes into coaching. Those shortcomings that you mention play themselves out on game day. You can't just split things up. Because an undisciplined team plays itself out on game day. And that is part of game day coaching. So if Flood was coach of this team this year, do you honestly think the game would've been 20-13? No it wouldn't. It would've been more like 2015 when he played at #17 Michigan, in his 4th year here, and we lost 49-16. But hey, I'm sure he made great game day decisions.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Good to know they don’t like to work. That’s a ringing endorsement of their character. Explains a lot.
No clue about them. (Never worked with them) but id think they’d certainly prefer not having to work while getting payed

Yes, the program was regressing. It regressed the first year he was here. I really don't feel like arguing anymore about Kyle Flood. He shouldn't have been a head coach at a big 10 school. He sucked at running a program. Greg Schiano prepared this Rutgers team better than Kyle Flood. You are admitting it yourself. If you want to think things were running ok, that's your prerogative. I'm not dismissing the shortcomings of the athletic department. They were real. But things proved out that Kyle Flood was not the guy to lead a major college program.

You guys sticking up for Flood must not have any idea about what goes into coaching. Those shortcomings that you mention play themselves out on game day. You can't just split things up. Because an undisciplined team plays itself out on game day. And that is part of game day coaching. So if Flood was coach of this team this year, do you honestly think the game would've been 20-13? No it wouldn't. It would've been more like 2015 when he played at #17 Michigan, in his 4th year here, and we lost 49-16. But hey, I'm sure he made great game day decisions.
Or in 2015, when RU played 4th ranked Michigan State and lost 31-24. To crap all over Flood without looking at the crap sandwich he was handed to coach the team is not living in reality, including his lame duck years after they tried to ditch him. Greg and Ash had everything handed to them on a silver platter. Greg fought for it and deserved it. Maybe Flood could have fought harder, but the head coaching job kind of just landed in his lap when Rutger was too cheap to pony up decent money for Mario Cristobal, which was the kiss of death and a signal that Rutgers was going to cheap out on athletics at every turn.

Nobody is "sticking up for Flood." Facts are facts. But your cherry picking games like 2015 indicate you have a need to vent on the guy. He's gone. Greg is here. Onward, upward.

again..just going by people I know..best writers HATE good teams…equals more work.

Politi is a columnist so he’s gonna work regardless..maybe he has a soft spot
I think their positions aren’t exactly secure. Like all news orgs, massive layoffs across the board. I think Politi got partially out on furlough during COVID. I think a good RU means a little job security if you are an RU beat reporter. It also means some prominence which can lead to better jobs. Just my $.02.

Reactions: 17Q66
Ok. But floods game day coaching was miles above gregs
Greg 1.0?

Yes. Flood was better than Greg 1.0 in gameday coaching.

He isn't better than Greg 2.0 in game day coaching though.

Shutting out Michigan's offense in the 2nd half doesn't happen without good gameday coaching. Half time adjustments don't occur without good gameday coaching.

All the trick plays from last year and the special teams plays don't occur without gameday coaching. etc.

Being aggressive and going for it a lot on 4th and short (something that we rarely did in Greg 1.0 who preferred to play beamer ball, ver conservative) is gamely coaching.

Flood's teams were also undisciplined on the field compared with Greg 1.0 or 2.0's teams. Flood's teams had numerous penalties that constantly shot us in the foot. Gameday coaching plays into this also.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
if you were around during the beginning of the Greg1 era, I can't see how you would feel that way when it comes to looking at how the Star Liar covers RU FB.and how RU Fans react to articles from that rag.
My undergrad years straddled the 80s & 90s, so I've been here for all of it.

Ok. But floods game day coaching was miles above gregs
Everyone knows I usually defend Flood when it comes to the bashing, but this isn’t a fair shake either. For a first time coach, Flood was very good overall at taking care of business against teams he was supposed to beat. Yes - there were a few clunkers but most of those teams turned out to be pretty good (Kent St, Fresno). He didn’t have any wtf types against the New Hampshire, Eastern Michigan type teams though. GS 2.0 passed this test too though so far in non-conference play. We were favored 3 times and beat the spread in all 3.

As far as delivering in big games - Flood lost the heartbreaker to UofL for the Orange bowl. He has to own Laviano’s 4th down snafoo in the Michigan State game. And he only won 1 bowl game (he deserves credit for that one as a good win but Schiano 1.0 had several comparable wins). Yes - he beat Michigan, but that game was at home and it was also a really bad Michigan team.

I’m sure our coaching staff regret the call on 4th and 10. They misjudged how resilient our team could be in the trenches the rest of the way and decided our only chance to hang close was to take a gamble at a point when we were already set up to score if we executed. It was the wrong call but to say our coaches did a poor job overall Saturday is ridiculous. The in game adjustments were fantastic. They called a great game on both sides overall considering the talent disparity. We came up a little short and those few calls we wish we could have back they likely won’t make again.

I think their positions aren’t exactly secure. Like all news orgs, massive layoffs across the board. I think Politi got partially out on furlough during COVID. I think a good RU means a little job security if you are an RU beat reporter. It also means some prominence which can lead to better jobs. Just my $.02.
Right - also the Rant is a very big money maker for them now. If we stink nobody listens. Basketball turning things around made their podcast a year round goldmine.

floods game day coaching is. MILES better than Schiano’s. That’s just a fact.

doesn’t mean he was better for RU..but X’s and O’s..flood is very very very good
I’m so over Flood comments, Flood has a ring, enough said. all around blunders, win or lose as a total team. We are on the way up and I’ll take that for now

Reactions: mikemarc1
again..good teams = more work, these beat writers don’t wanna work on Christmas, New Years, etc.
Pathetic. Maybe they should switch to being hourly if they're going to be that petty. Go cover elections and public meetings then; get out of sports journalism.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT