ADVERTISEMENT

Kristen Somogyi - throwing it out there

RUNYGDVLSFAN

Junior
Oct 13, 2014
Kristen Somogyi...

I like her a lot for the school. I am sure there are going to be detractors on the idea, but she brings a lot, and recruiting with her AAU background. If people like the idea, let's get some momentum going! Fan support helped bring Schiano back....

Proper support is the key. Jersey woman, roots, player, alumni, experienced. New Chapter for Women's BB, while appreciating the tradition of success. Start the discussions now. If last years transfers out were any indication of where this program is going, then this move needs to be done very quickly.

I like Kristen have known the family since I was 6. I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. She is a part time AAU coach for the Jersey Cardinals. The Jersey Cardinals are not one of the elite programs in the sate much less the country. Not the type of coach that would move the needle from a coaching or recruiting standpoint.

I like Kristen have known the family since I was 6. I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. She is a part time AAU coach for the Jersey Cardinals. The Jersey Cardinals are not one of the elite programs in the sate much less the country. Not the type of coach that would move the needle from a coaching or recruiting standpoint.
If this is accurate, then hard pass. Maybe as an assistant but not HC.

I truly hope this is a joke. She has nada experience as a coach on any level.
why would this be a joke ??? are you some kind authority? She is around the game, has knowledge, popular name in the Northeast, was awesome player, keeps her pulse on AAU players. I am sure she can recruit. Why not give it a considersation? I don't mind idea of assistant coach either.

why would this be a joke ??? are you some kind authority? She is around the game, has knowledge, popular name in the Northeast, was awesome player, keeps her pulse on AAU players. I am sure she can recruit. Why not give it a considersation? I don't mind idea of assistant coach either.
like any one with good AAU ties she should be considered, but not thought of as a must get.

Reactions: RUNYGDVLSFAN
Not sure you give someone a head coaching job at a B1G level program that does not have coaching experience at any level beyond 2nd-3rd tier AAU. I grew up respecting the Somogyi name. Went to Johns camps(dad St Peter’s alum) worked out with him at the lyceum, but the name hasn’t been relevant in high school or college basketball in 20 years.

RU will hire a low level minority coach on the cheap..writing on the wall
Hopefully not. I do fear cheap. But low level doesn't work for me unless they have shown they are a successful head coach. Minority should not matter. Gender shouldn't either, although I do in general support advancing female women's coaches when they are among the best candidates for a position.

Just saw the "Made For It" program on the PAC network, available for streaming to folks without the network next month. Watch it if you want some idea of how to do it. It chronicles the hiring of Adia Barnes and progression of Arizona basketball over 5 years to the Final Four, with a WNIT championship along the way.

FWIW - Barnes is a minority, although that had nothing to do with her hire. And she was hired on the cheap. She is now the 10th highest paid WBB coach. Just saying . . .

Reactions: MADHAT1
Hopefully not. I do fear cheap. But low level doesn't work for me unless they have shown they are a successful head coach. Minority should not matter. Gender shouldn't either, although I do in general support advancing female women's coaches when they are among the best candidates for a position.

Just saw the "Made For It" program on the PAC network, available for streaming to folks without the network next month. Watch it if you want some idea of how to do it. It chronicles the hiring of Adia Barnes and progression of Arizona basketball over 5 years to the Final Four, with a WNIT championship along the way.

FWIW - Barnes is a minority, although that had nothing to do with her hire. And she was hired on the cheap. She is now the 10th highest paid WBB coach. Just saying . . .
HIRE HER RIGHT NOW

Reactions: RUNYGDVLSFAN
you're bent on bring race into the equation.
The next HC will decide who assists her and not listen to those who complain about seeing other races get the same deal at a JC Penny white sale
With CVS on forever payroll she will put in her 2 cents.

It doesn’t matter if it is a left-handed Hispanic/Eskimo Mormon. Just get somebody from at least a mid-Major program who has at least been an assistant at a major program who is either from New Jersey or has shown the ability to recruit in the state. Someone with a style of play that will not turn off fans and recruits. Someone who knows how to speak with media. Someone who will go out into the community doing clinics and creating some interest in the program and will earn her salary bringing in more than 1,400 ( or less) fans per game.

It doesn’t matter if it is a left-handed Hispanic/Eskimo Mormon. Just get somebody from at least a mid-Major program who has at least been an assistant at a major program who is either from New Jersey or has shown the ability to recruit in the state. Someone with a style of play that will not turn off fans and recruits. Someone who knows how to speak with media. Someone who will go out into the community doing clinics and creating some interest in the program and will earn her salary bringing in more than 1,400 ( or less) fans per game.
Agree, lets look for who would make Rutgers WBB a program that brings home wins and brings fans to home games along with the ability to recruite the type of talent that makes RU WBB a top program

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
No need to have a characterization of"minority" in your statement. Only those seeking to make an issue of it would put that in.
not correct at all. the issue is they will limit their search and favor one candidate vs another due to color. if you don't believe this than you are absurdly naive.

not correct at all. the issue is they will limit their search and favor one candidate vs another due to color. if you don't believe this than you are absurdly naive.
belive what you want, but the search will be for the best available that will accept what Hobbs offers and green will be the color that the decision is based on.
Those who feel the color of the candidate will taint the search probably aren't considering any one but the color they want hired should have a chance

Reactions: Knight Time Fan
Put me in the naive camp. I don’t think we will have another Sweeney/Hermann situation.

Sources tell me that this will be a name for a bigger job this off-season. And BTW - URI has won 13 straight.

Tammi is a great person to consider. Loved her as a player. Good contacts and gets the most out of her roster. She is a name to keep an eye on. Agreed she will be someone that is going to be sought after by major programs if not this year very soon.

Tammi is a great person to consider. Loved her as a player. Good contacts and gets the most out of her roster. She is a name to keep an eye on. Agreed she will be someone that is going to be sought after by major programs if not this year very soon.

Tammi has been incredibly successful and high energy - I hope RU considers her. Just got an extension at URI after being named A10 coach of the year.

No need to have a characterization of"minority" in your statement. Only those seeking to make an issue of it would put that in.
Besides getting your sensibilities hurt, this is the outcome of greatest chance. My problem isn’t the color part, it is the low-level hire on the cheap part. We could get lucky and have that low level hire turn out to be the next summit, but those are rare gets and mostly luck.

you're bent on bring race into the equation.
The next HC will decide who assists her and not listen to those who complain about seeing other races get the same deal at a JC Penny white sale
I don’t care who we hire or what race they are, as long as he or she is completely open to the diversity model every opponent we play in the B1G Ten reflects.
To have and entirely African American coaching staff and team is ludicrous in this day and age if you’re a B1G member.

I don’t care who we hire or what race they are, as long as he or she is completely open to the diversity model every opponent we play in the B1G Ten reflects.
To have and entirely African American coaching staff and team is ludicrous in this day and age if you’re a B1G member.
to have a staff like you oppose is not a divers way to go in most cases, but if there is a legitimate reason for an all white or black staff, we shouldn't look for something to complain about.
The complaints should come and be valid ones if in the search for staff members is limited to black/white candidates.
Same goes for recruiting, the best talent no matter the race/religion.

I understand why the diversity posts are popping up here and won't blame it on any other sport having an issue, nor will bring in any other college program as an example.
I know the issue is because of how some, maybe many, that post on this board look at the make-up of the RU WBB team and staff and feel CVS looks at only blacks for staff and players on the roster .
I give Stringer the benefit of doubt and feel she recruits the type of players that fit her system and pushes that recruiting in a way that turns a lot of minorities and caucasian talent off from wanting to play for her.
As for staff, feel Vivian hires only those she feels extremely comfortable with and can mentor.
Marianne Stanly was on CVS' staff a long time ago, so I feel race of staff and players isn't as much of a problem as it it a perception of having that problem.

Reactions: ChasRC69
Was just doing my daily Twitter run, and this picture popped up.

While watching more games over the years than I can remember, teams look like this, especially in the middle of the country.

to have a staff like you oppose is not a divers way to go in most cases, but if there is a legitimate reason for an all white or black staff, we shouldn't look for something to complain about.
The complaints should come and be valid ones if in the search for staff members is limited to black/white candidates.
Same goes for recruiting, the best talent no matter the race/religion.

I understand why the diversity posts are popping up here and won't blame it on any other sport having an issue, nor will bring in any other college program as an example.
I know the issue is because of how some, maybe many, that post on this board look at the make-up of the RU WBB team and staff and feel CVS looks at only blacks for staff and players on the roster .
I give Stringer the benefit of doubt and feel she recruits the type of players that fit her system and pushes that recruiting in a way that turns a lot of minorities and caucasian talent off from wanting to play for her.
As for staff, feel Vivian hires only those she feels extremely comfortable with and can mentor.
Marianne Stanly was on CVS' staff a long time ago, so I feel race of staff and players isn't as much of a problem as it it a perception of having that problem.
All a bunch a bull

Reactions: motorb54
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT