ADVERTISEMENT

Last player we had with a nice high release and killer stroke from outside?

ruready4somefootball

Heisman Winner
Nov 10, 2003
A lot have come and gone since John Battle.Billet comes to mind, but man, to have someone who can square up, and release a nice high arc has been sorely missed around these parts. Yet come tournament time, it seems some mid majors have a kids that can do this. On WFAN the other day a point was brought home that really got me thinking.There are about 350 D1 basketball schools, that means more or less 3,500 D1 players. With that in mind, most NBA drafts have very little starters brought into the league after just the 1st round.

Most 3PM since '01-'02:
'05-06: Douby: 116
'01-02: Coleman: 99
'03-04: Shields: 93
'09-10: Rosario: 78
'08-09: Rosario: 76
'02-03: Coleman: 72
'13-14: Mack: 70

Chick I knew at RU had a killer stroke and nice high release but she wasn't a player so I guess she doesn't qualify for this discussion.

Most 3PM since '01-'02:

Good list. Loved Douby, of course, but I also remember Coleman hitting some HUGE threes at the RAC in '01-'02.

Last edited:
For pure shooting, obviously Douby but after him it's Coleman and after him its Mack.

Carter was very intriguing I know after he left had injury issues and finished at BCU but I thought he was the best all around offensively skilled player we had since Douby. I was VERY sad to see him go.

Charles Jones was another HIGHLY skilled offensively player but that didn't work out well for us. He was on a team where he was literally the only scorer we had so he just ran wild and Wenzel couldn't reel him in.

Added another decade. Most 3PM since '88-'89:
'00-01: T. Billet: 82
'88-89: Savage: 81
'99-00: T. Billet: 76
'97-98: G. Billet: 73
'92-93: Lumpkin: 72
'95-96: Santiago: 70
'91-92: Worthy: 69

All those above mentioned RU guys especially Battle. Both Billets had a nice stroke. Clarence Tillman, Chris Remly, Robin James, and Charlie Jones had moments or years. I liked Dadika’s bombs. Savage another guy who gets a little lost in RU lore.

The two best opposing were D’Angelo Russell and Allan Houston. I was never impressed with Mark Macon’s shooting. I don’t recall the UConn or Nova guys, although very good, ever really bombing away at the RAC. Mullin lost his one game at the RAC? Bird and ‘76 team like Abdel before my time.

Last edited:
Reactions: ruhoops21
All those above mentioned RU guys especially Battle. Both Billets had a nice stroke. Clarence Tillman, Chris Remly, Robin James, and Charlie Jones had moments or years. I liked Dadika’s bombs. Savage another guy who gets a little lost in RU lore.

The two best opposing were D’Angelo Russell and Allan Houston. I was never impressed with Mark Macon’s shooting. I don’t recall the UConn or Nova guys, although very good, ever really bombing away at the RAC. Mullin lost his one game at the RAC? Bird and ‘76 team like Abdel before my time.
Allan Houston in the preseason NIT, his Dad was the coach...man could he shoot. Add Ray Allen and Kerry Kittles to that list.

Coleman & Douby were jacking up shots from "The Rac"

IIRC, Coleman was derailed a bit his senior year when he got sick in the off season.

The original post was about a “nice high release” and a killer stroke. As much as I loved G. Billet, he actually had a hitch and a low, unorthodox release.

The original post was about a ‘nice high release’ and a killer stroke. I loved G. Billet
We are barking up the Lumpkin tree, if we follow this word for word (i.e. "high release"). And we never say a bad word about Geoff Billet. [winking]

Last edited:
You guys are all too young! Go back and look at the record books, back in "67 Bobby Lloyd was pure from the outside with no 3 point line. 48% from the floor, 92% FT and a 28 ppg. Valvano 52% from the floor but a mere 78% FT. Took us to the semis of the NIT, very big in '67. Said we couldn't possibly beat Utah State but did. Then impossible to beat New Mexico and did. Who did we lose to, Walt Frazier and the South Ill. Some of the greatest performances I've ever seen.

Reactions: ruhoops21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT