ADVERTISEMENT

Let's go METS 2016 thread ......Just get in and anything can happen!

Mets starting to resemble the team that made it to the Series last year. Need to get Harvey straightened out to have any chance to get there again.

Great comeback! Harvey needs to get through this and hopefully Wheeler come back and does well. Maybe DL Harvey when he does to give him a rest.

Reactions: ntlrock1
. . . Maybe DL Harvey when he does to give him a rest.

No. He got it up to 98 yesterday. He's throwing harder than he has all year. He needs to just keep working. His last six starts were pretty darn good until yesterday. And, even though he gave up a lot of hits, only a few were hit hard. When they were, he was hanging his slider.

Absent an injury, and I see no evidence of one, he should just keep working.

deGrom, too, by the way, just had his first outing this year in which he had the same stuff he had last year. I hope that keeps up.

No. He got it up to 98 yesterday. He's throwing harder than he has all year. He needs to just keep working. His last six starts were pretty darn good until yesterday. And, even though he gave up a lot of hits, only a few were hit hard. When they were, he was hanging his slider.

deGrom, too, by the way, just had his first outing this year in which he had the same stuff he had last year. I hope that keeps up.

Fair enough with the velocity but I still think he could use a little rest mid season with all the innings he logged coming off TJ.

Reyes is looking much more composed today he was definitely way too jacked up last night.

This guy Stanton is absolutely on fire, but I've never seen a pitching staff give up more 1-2 or 0-2 count home runs than this Mets staff. When it comes to the Stantons and Bryants...pitch around them!!!

Knew he was hurt this whole time. It had to be something. The issue is that it could possibly be
thoracic outlet syndrome, so that ain't good....

I was right.

Knew he was hurt this whole time. It had to be something. The issue is that it could possibly be
thoracic outlet syndrome, so that ain't good....
Likely out for the rest of the season, needs surgery to fix the problem, but never know if he will ever return to full strength.

Crazy slobber knocker of a game last night. 8 homers ties a citi field record. They just kept going out lol. This guy Wilmer Flores es en fuego ahora. How does terry take him out of lineup? Ya can't.

These new rules are ruining baseball. How the s@&# the hell do you break up a double play anymore? crazy how the game ended last night, just glad it went in the mets favor :)

. . . This guy Wilmer Flores es en fuego ahora. How does terry take him out of lineup? Ya can't.
Agree. Collins never really impresses me. The only thing that makes me not so concerned about this is that managers mean very little in baseball. It's the most unimportant head coaching position of the major sports, which is why Alderson is smart not to pay managers much money.

These new rules are ruining baseball. How the s@&# the hell do you break up a double play anymore? crazy how the game ended last night, just glad it went in the mets favor :)

I disagree. Just like the catcher rule, this has to be implemented. The catcher rule has gotten less controversial as time has passed, and so will this. In fact, the take-out rule seems much more simple. You must slide before the bag, you must still be able to touch the bag after you've slid. The reason is obvious, and the call seems easy. What you hear from some announcers and the team against whom the call went is the usual grousing in sports about rule changes, particularly if it involves a play that used to be considered "hard-nosed" but is now illegal because "taking people out" is simply on its way out in sports.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Yes!!! Reyes almost messed that one up.
What did Reyes do?

Crazy slobber knocker of a game last night. 8 homers ties a citi field record. They just kept going out lol. This guy Wilmer Flores es en fuego ahora. How does terry take him out of lineup? Ya can't.

Agree on both points. Murphy would have been safe, slide or no slide, and that should be taken into consideration. There was nothing dirty or wrong with Werth's slide. Good thing the umps did not call FBI Director Comey for an opinion. :grimace:

Did Matt Harvey steal T2K's lunch money or girlfriend or fiance? 90% of T2K's posts are trolling in the weather threads or trolling on Matt Harvey. Amusing and sad at the same time.

Interesting notes about Harvey and something Warthen said yesterday:

Mets pitching coach Dan Warthen has spotted a flaw in Matt Harvey's delivery in the stretch that could explain Harvey's 0-3 start.

After the Mets' 7-5 loss in Cleveland Saturday, Warthen told reporters the righthander is collapsing his back leg in the stretch. That breaks down the mechanics in his delivery, robbing Harvey of the "quick arm" Warthen says Harvey has when pitching without runners on base.

Saturday's numbers bear that out. Without runners on, Cleveland was 1-for-14 against Harvey with three strikeouts. When Harvey pitched out the stretch starting in the fifth, the Indians went 5-for-8 against him, with three walks and two stolen bases that led to five runs.

Through three games, Harvey (0-3, 5.71) has a 2.40 ERA in the first five innings and a 27.00 ERA in the sixth.

Uh....I think I'VE spotted a flaw in Harvey's delivery too.

Amed Rosario is on fire in AA. He'll be up sometime next year and will have a big career with us. SS will be solved for awhile so I wonder if they move Cheech to 3B or Cf?

I disagree. Just like the catcher rule, this has to be implemented. The catcher rule has gotten less controversial as time has passed, and so will this. In fact, the take-out rule seems much more simple. You must slide before the bag, you must still be able to touch the bag after you've slid. The reason is obvious, and the call seems easy. What you hear from some announcers and the team against whom the call went is the usual grousing in sports about rule changes, particularly if it involves a play that used to be considered "hard-nosed" but is now illegal because "taking people out" is simply on its way out in sports.
Yup. The purpose of a bona fide slide is to arrive at the base safely. If the base in question is second base, that means you need to be able to get to the base AND STAY THERE. If you can't, it's not a bona fide slide. I for one am glad that the studs-up sliding tackle, which gets you a red card in soccer, is no longer part of baseball.

ADVERTISEMENT