ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling LIVE - Rutgers vs. Michigan Updates

Pagano with a straight-on double, but he cannot finish. The period ends shortly after that sequence, as Pagano maintains a 5-4 lead.

Striggow going on bottom to start the third period.

Pagano banged for stalling for the second time. That will tie the match up at 5. Not a huge fan of that call.

Pagano with a mat return, and gets over a minute of RT! Need a tough ride here

Pagano able to hold on for the 6-5 win!

Rutgers takes their first lead of the dual, 16-15, heading into the last bout. Michigan heavily favored at heavyweight.

Reactions: rondi
Nice comeback to take the lead ... obviously need a humongous upset (or injury) in the HWT match.

Alex Esposito is going to have to find a way to defeat No. 2 Mason Parris in order for Rutgers to win.

When you figure we’re down our 141, 174, and 285 starters, this dual wasn’t the worst. Really only one disappointing bout. You obviously wish 141 doesn’t get majored and 165 gets the major but it is what it is.

Parris wasting no time, as he takes down Esposito in the first 15 seconds

Parris lets Esposito go, but quickly dumps Esposito to his back for the individual and team win.

Michigan will leave the Garden victorious, by a score of 21-16

I think the Highlight Reel is Leo watching Esposito get packed. Sitting there chewing his gum like "man we really suck at heavyweight"

RU beat expectations to win 5 matches (looked like 3 or 4 on paper) ... it’s going to be tough to see another W this year ... even Rider isn’t a pushover.

can't blame esposito......aguilar needed the win, and firestone, and angelo with bonus point losses.....jo jo most likely held to a decision . or possible a win.....angelo's problem is he thinks he's stronger than he is....take's chances. sometimes he gets the move, and sometimes he doesn't.

can't blame esposito......aguilar needed the win, and firestone, and angelo with bonus point losses.....jo jo most likely held to a decision . or possible a win.....angelo's problem is he thinks he's stronger than he is....take's chances. sometimes he gets the move, and sometimes he doesn't.
You really need to lay off the ellipses. Really hard to read your posts.

Couldn't agree with you more. He reminds me of a 149-pound heavyweight. He wrestles all upper body and has no bottom game. Michigan coaches absolutely had that kid ready, for Angelo's cow catcher. That kid better figure something else out because it's not working what he's doing.

Couldn't agree with you more. He reminds me of a 149-pound heavyweight. He wrestles all upper body and has no bottom game. Michigan coaches absolutely had that kid ready, for Angelo's cow catcher. That kid better figure something else out because it's not working what he's doing.
angelo won a state title at 106 his freshman year....he's a very good wrestler.he just has to wrestle within himself, and not try to out muscle every one he wrestles...he's still only a red shirt freshman.....it's possible he increases his strength, but still needs to pick his spots when to use it....the coaches are likely pounding this in his brain. a few more beat downs, and he'll figure it out.

angelo won a state title at 106 his freshman year....he's a very good wrestler.he just has to wrestle within himself, and not try to out muscle every one he wrestles...he's still only a red shirt freshman.....it's possible he increases his strength, but still needs to pick his spots when to use it....the coaches are likely pounding this in his brain. a few more beat downs, and he'll figure it out.
I think Gerard Angelo is a great kid. he was also very good wrestling high school and a good wrestler in college. He just doesn't get in good positions, gets up way too high, and tries to outmuscle his opponent. His biggest problem is positioning. He shouldn't be trying to get himself in funky positions with big ten wrestlers. He's like a lighter weight correnti. When he's on he beats guy he shouldn't, when he's off he loses to flapjacks.

Angelo always been a very good wrestler since grade school. He was a point machine, ton of tilts. Idk when he transitioned into this upper body crap he was not into Greco or even freestyle. He loses his athleticism, no shots no angles

Creedo
You are right. Angelo is one of the nicest young men I have met. Everyone on the team loves him.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Aguilar’s opponent was super strong which is why Aguilar’ 5 deep shots were thwarted on TD attempts. Kid did 360 or so pushups in a row!

i kinda have to agree with you......slow, and not hungry enough.......plus were always getting out wrestled....never get the 1st take down

Other than Suriano and Ashnault, welcome to RU wrestling. This year was better than last on the take downs. I felt this year Rutgers has kept the takedowns against at bay vs. last year. But bottom starts have been a problem. No explosiveness. Getting ridden out or having riding time come into play against. Rutgers needs to be better on their feet and on the bottom.

Creedo
You are right. Angelo is one of the nicest young men I have met. Everyone on the team loves him.
Bill unfortunately nice doesn't win matches. I wish he would just get down a little lower and not be so stiff in the positions that he's in and take some shots. I remember him in high school taking shots all the time and still being funky. I think he stiffens up for matches. Typical freshman pressure. Going forward he needs to get his body centered, almost like a Russian stance and use that great strength he has. He gets up to high,extends his body and let's other wrestlers get in on his torso and take him down. You don't have to be a brain surgeon to figure that out. I still think he's going to make some noise at the big tens though

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
Creedo
I agree with you on all of your technique descriptions. It makes me feel so badly for as I desperately want him to enjoy success as he is such a great young man.

Creedo
I agree with you on all of your technique descriptions. It makes me feel so badly for as I desperately want him to enjoy success as he is such a great young man.
Bill I wouldn't feel bad. He's got this year three more years and possibly a red sheer year really get his wrestling style under control. Hopefully he'll read some of this advice and make adjustments. The kid really is one of the nicest I've ever met. I agree with you he deserves all the best. By the way I don't think he's having a bad season. A little bit of fine-tuning and better positioning, and he will change his entire game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT