ADVERTISEMENT

MATCH THREAD: RU v Purdue, 12p, RAC, BTN+, matchups:

Goodale started talking about the National Duals...right now I believe we are 5th in the B1G behind PSU, Iowa, OSU and Nebraska. A win Friday night over Michigan would all but clinch a National Dual as I expect RU to beat Sparty, Indy and NW and lose to OSU in the makeup match.

The National Duals are slated for the weekend of February 18-19th correct? Maybe even Feb 20th as it is President's Day.

Speaking of National Duals, what is the criteria for selection?
Top 8 teams in the B1G qualify, then each face off vs the 6 other conference winners minus the Pac 12 who isn't participating this year, and two wild cards. It's basically B1G vs The World lol.
Last year Rutgers defeated Lehigh in their National Dual in dramatic fashion...an OT reversal by Billy Smith at the RAC to break a 15-15 tie at Heavyweight.

PSU will likely face Oklahoma State in #1 vs #2 for the NWCA Dual National Championship.

Top 8 teams in the B1G qualify, then each face off vs the 6 other conference winners minus the Pac 12 who isn't participating this year, and two wild cards. It's basically B1G vs The World lol.
Last year Rutgers defeated Lehigh in their National Dual in dramatic fashion...an OT reversal by Billy Smith at the RAC to break a 15-15 tie at Heavyweight.

PSU will likely face Oklahoma State in #1 vs #2 for the NWCA Dual National Championship.

Bigmatt is correct. And this year the 8 Big10 teams will all be on the road. RU needs to keep winning their Big matches to ensure a "better" match-up.

Thanks for the clarification. Disappointing that it will be on the road. I was at the Lehigh match last year --- one of the most exciting Rutgers sports events I have been to. Billy Smith brought it home --- though unfortunately lost out on AA status by losing to the Lehigh heavyweight in the NCAAs.

Thanks for the clarification. Disappointing that it will be on the road. I was at the Lehigh match last year --- one of the most exciting Rutgers sports events I have been to. Billy Smith brought it home --- though unfortunately lost out on AA status by losing to the Lehigh heavyweight in the NCAAs.
Unless Rider wins the EWL and they host it. Very good chance they would match RU to go up against Rider. They'd have to move the match to their basketball arena as Rutgers fans would pack the place to the gills. I think Edinboro is leading that conference right now though.

Unless Rider wins the EWL and they host it. Very good chance they would match RU to go up against Rider. They'd have to move the match to their basketball arena as Rutgers fans would pack the place to the gills. I think Edinboro is leading that conference right now though.

Edinboro beat Rider on Friday night, so Rider will not win the EWL(unless somehow Edinboro get upset in one of their last two league matches and they still might win because of tie breakers). Hoping for Mizzu or NC State or Va Tech.

Edinboro beat Rider on Friday night, so Rider will not win the EWL(unless somehow Edinboro get upset in one of their last two league matches and they still might win because of tie breakers). Hoping for Mizzu or NC State or Va Tech.
Agreed, I want one of those 3 (Mizzou, NC State or V Tech). Beat Michigan and take care of business vs Sparty, Indiana and Northwestern and I would bet money on RU drawing one of the 3.

Reactions: Leonard23
Fans on the Iowa site were saying the National Duals isn't as much fun or prestigious as it used to be when all teams gathered at the same location/arena to all wrestle under one roof, usually in the MidWest. With all these remote locations, they think it's nothing more than just another OOC dual.

it is just an OOC dual. it creates some really fun match ups but they don't matter more than any other dual meet.

they're Cael's brainchild. the NWCA (coaches association) tried to get everyone to participate in a national dual meet tournament, but Penn State and Iowa and others didn't like it for whatever reason so they declined to participate. so then the NWCA proposed making the dual meet a component of the NCAA tournament. how you finished in the dual meet tournament would earn points, which would be added to the points your team won at the individual NCAA tournament. this would force the top team to participate if they wanted a shot at winning the team title. but Cael hated it for whatever reason and threw a tantrum. when they asked him to come up with something better, we go the Bowl Duals are (even though they are wrestled in arenas).

I think they're fine but an actual national dual championship tournament wouldve been much better in my opinion. ESPN, which owns the rights to any D1 NCAA championship competition, wanted more duals and would've aired them during the basketball tournament, the 1 sport they don't own the rights to. it's still a possibility, we just have to wait for this idea to run it's course.

Like them or not Sanderson and Brands are great coaches. However, they could be hurting the future for wrestling. They really don't support a true national dual championship. They don't believe it is in the best interest of their programs which is probably true. The concern is that it hurts most other teams in terms of PR and TV revenue. If only the rich get richer, it is possible that more colleges will drop wrestling. As college wrestlers represent more first generation college students than any other sport, future kids could miss an opportunity to attend college. If you doubt that college wrestling can disappear, look at the recent proposal to drop wrestling from the Olympics.

The sport needs Sanderson and Brands to be less selfish and focus on the future of college wrestling. These guys are great coaches and will always have top programs. The concern is there could be only a few programs left standing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT