ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread : RU Wrestling v Ok St, 1pm, w match ups preview:

No. 3 Oklahoma State posted a 26-5 win over No. 24 Rutgers in a highly controversial and wildly entertaining dual meet on Sunday inside a sellout, raucous Rutgers Athletics Center in Piscataway.

Agreed he had 2 backs, but we struggled closing tight matches. You can't hope to hand fight your way to a 1 point victory. Gotta be more aggressive and shoot more.

As bad as the score appears this was in my opinion the best they wrestled all year. Lipari, Van Brill, Glasgow, Grello, and Correnti are all improving. Scott and Colucci were overmatched but wrestled tough as well.

Just hoping for a hard fought match today and to see how RU stacks up ... no expectations on points or wins, only on effort and earning respect!
Team went 2-8 ... and looks like RUs hammers are beatable.

I usually would agree, but coach smith did that after a reversal and he is widely considered the classiest guy in wrestling (after Abro).

LOL, don't let the Penn St or Iowa fans see this post ! lol. Coach Smith , who I'm a fan of, was triggered from the moment Fix had his point taken away when they reviewed Suriano's locked hands call. I sat right in front of him, and from that moment on, the Ok St coaching staff became kind of agitated.
It was a raucous crowd, and as soon as Suriano lost the match on that horrendous call, by refs that may be Big12 refs (not sure), the crowd got borderline UGLY. 2 fans got tossed for throwing bottles , 1 came a foot from hitting the ref in the head, and the boos at the ref , and Smith a little, continued for the rest of the match. Great atmosphere, but the head ref was very indecisive all day long, and the Suriano match bad call just carried over, and Ashnault probably was pumped up as well.

Yes, he was abysmal.

Nah. Suriano had his hand out and Fix walked into it.
Fearless Warrior needs to be more careful next time. That will get called everytime the way they have been enforcing the rule this year. Absolutely sucks.

Team went 2-8 ... and looks like RUs hammers are beatable.

Suriano is definitely beatable when the officials are fvcking awful.

Check out the national reactions on Twitter, etc... No one believe it. It was such a joke .

Those are the ridiculous, bs judgement.calls that will be the downfall of the sport in college. That's how a match ends? Give me a break .

Reactions: Jersey Boys
Suriano and Fix are very, very close . Neither came close to a take down, both got out fairly quick. Suriano should have won on getting out in OT a little quicker. Like most expected, this will be settled in March.

What I was most surprised at , was how both kids were so hesitant to make a serious shot attempt for a take down, no one came even close .

How in the world did you remember I nicknamed Sanderson 'Pale Cael' a year 2 ago ( it goes with Tan Tom and Bland Brands) ! lol.
I'm honored !
I will be honest with you: I never did hear you call him that; I simply came up with it, like you, based on their hyena fan base's incessant dissing of Tom Ryan for zero reason, other than being a good guy.

Suriano and Fix are very, very close . Neither came close to a take down, both got out fairly quick. Suriano should have won on getting out in OT a little quicker. Like most expected, this will be settled in March.

What I was most surprised at , was how both kids were so hesitant to make a serious shot attempt for a take down, no one came even close .
Well, that answers my question. Eleven plus minutes of wrestling, and the two best guys at 133 didn't take a shot?

Reactions: WiscoWrastler
Yes, he was abysmal.

Nah. Suriano had his hand out and Fix walked into it.

Leonard23 100% right. Just saw a slo mo in replay and it was clear Suriano had hand on top of head and Fix walked into it. Absolutely horrendous way to end the match. Use some smart judgement. The rule is for blatant slaps. This was a head slip into the hand. Refs wanted it to end.

Still, as Goody said, if you don’t open up you let the refs take over.

Leonard23 100% right. Just saw a slo mo in replay and it was clear Suriano had hand on top of head and Fix walked into it. Absolutely horrendous way to end the match. Use some smart judgement. The rule is for blatant slaps. This was a head slip into the hand. Refs wanted it to end.

The rule has been in place for years. However, the NCAA, in their infinite wisdom, made it a point of emphasis this year, with no room for judgement. The ref did as he was trained.

As bad as the score appears this was in my opinion the best they wrestled all year. Lipari, Van Brill, Glasgow, Grello, and Correnti are all improving. Scott and Colucci were overmatched but wrestled tough as well.

Glasgow took neutral why? That knee is still a problem and should have still sat out this match.He cannot go 3 periods without this injury still bugging him.He cannot ride a anyone as it is obvious he cannot put any weight on the knee from bottom or top.

Correnti was this close to pulling out a nice upset against a ranked guy.

3rd period wrestling needs to be more strategic..

Reactions: Jersey Boys
The rule has been in place for years. However, the NCAA, in their infinite wisdom, made it a point of emphasis this year, with no room for judgement. The ref did as he was trained.

Respect your opinion but he didn’t put hands to face. Head slipped into it. This was a garbage call and tired of the wishy washy defense of it. If you are going to call that in that matter then let’s just shut this sport down.

Reactions: koleszar
Respect your opinion but he didn’t put hands to face. Head slipped into it. This was a garbage call and tired of the wishy washy defense of it. If you are going to call that in that matter then let’s just shut this sport down.
Start 10 seconds into the video and it will become all the more puzzling to all.

You apparently didn't see the match this is not what the rule was intended for. It was not a slap to the head or face, it was hand out guy walks into hand. This one doesn't get called ten times out of ten with a competent ref especially in a match like this. This guy was brutal. Two swipes is two points, right? Well not to this ref. These weren't hard calls and he blew them. Just like the locked hands.

Be that as it may it shouldn’t decide a match. I wouldn’t have a problem if it was blatant but no it wasn’t. Let the refs pay more attention to it but you don’t call it in SV2 to end it. There is always room for judgement. It’s just using your best judgement.

I don't disagree with you. I'm actually on your side of this. But, the ref did as they've been instructed by the NCAA. The emphasis needs to go away to stop this from happening.

I don't disagree with you. I'm actually on your side of this. But, the ref did as they've been instructed by the NCAA. The emphasis needs to go away to stop this from happening.

Like I said, respect your opinion but that situation is not what they want enforced.

But as I pointed out before, it’s on Suriano for not taking his shots.

Ashnault fighting for the home team !

50170690_10217021834394138_1561865832147976192_n.jpg

Reactions: Clearscreen25

This has no bearing on how the call is judged and applied, unfortunately.

This has no bearing on how the call is judged and applied, unfortunately.

This is the last time I’m going to say this, but it was a sh*t call. Tired of the defense of it. I saw several hand fights that were closer to hands to the face that were not called. They did not have to call that and NOBODY would have questioned them if they didn’t. I think they wanted to end it.

With that said, it’s on Suriano for not opening things up. Need to bring the offense.

Where are you Harley? I’m in 113 , row K. Seat 10.
I had seat right on floor ...birds eye view of the worst officiating I have ever seen ..to end that match the way he did with a bogus call plus the cluster F..k with the call of locked hands then non call all the while having those two warriors stand around waiting was an absolute travesty ..we came to see the winner win ..not have one given a win and the other given a loss which the ref was the judge and jury

Huh? To me it looked there were 50 worse touches that weren't called.

Reactions: Abro1975
This is the last time I’m going to say this, but it was a sh*t call. Tired of the defense of it. I saw several hand fights that were closer to hands to the face that were not called. They did not have to call that and NOBODY would have questioned them if they didn’t. I think they wanted to end it.

With that said, it’s on Suriano for not opening things up. Need to bring the offense.
I understand, you hate the call, I hate the call, every Rutgers fan hates the call. It was a solid kick in the gonads. They need to seriously re-evalute this rule after the season. Can't have stuff like this dictating the outcome of marquee match-ups. It's an absolute disgrace to the sport and doesn't advance or enahnce wrestling in any way.

The Ref was blind just like Fix for a second or two

Screenshot-2019-01-13-at-2-01-42-PM.png

That said I don't like this being a point, they need to change the rules to issue warnings first, and it really sucks when it decides a match.

ADVERTISEMENT