ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread : RU Wrestling v Ok St, 1pm, w match ups preview:

I think we all agree that the NCAA put the refs in a horrible situation this year and it needs to be addressed like ASAP. Imagine if this was a semi final or championship bout.

Time to move on. Suriano needs to shoot and take the match on his own. Wrestle cautious for 7 minutes and you ask for the refs to take it.
Yes agree 100%.And Suriano will tell you the samething I gotta get my offense going in big matches.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
BanjoSaysWoof, can you explain this to me, please?

Go RU!
Diane

Hi Diane! Watch the restart at about 1 min left in the first. There was a reversal. On the replay of that reversal you catch John Smith doing the pistols firing like a cartoon character.

I love John Smith. He is the best American freestyle wrestler of all time, coached a friend of mine to a N.C. (seeing your childhood friend hit his dreams because of that man.... hard not to love) and has always been just a nice guy and a great rep for the sport.

But he still acted like a cartoon character for ten seconds.

I’ve blasted ashnault in the past. I stand by those remarks. This wasn’t those things.

How come both Correnti and Glasgow didn't take bottom? It seems they each left one point on the mat by choosing neutral.

Glasgow did not take bottom because he had surgery a couple of weeks ago on his knee as stated earlier.The kid is out there wrestling still hurt and cannot put any pressure on the knee on bottom.That knee gets attacked all the time which makes him defenseless.

I guess for Correnti maybe his opponent was a hammer on top.

Hi Diane! Watch the restart at about 1 min left in the first. There was a reversal. On the replay of that reversal you catch John Smith doing the pistols firing like a cartoon character.

I love John Smith. He is the best American freestyle wrestler of all time, coached a friend of mine to a N.C. (seeing your childhood friend hit his dreams because of that man.... hard not to love) and has always been just a nice guy and a great rep for the sport.

But he still acted like a cartoon character for ten seconds.

I’ve blasted ashnault in the past. I stand by those remarks. This wasn’t those things.

Ahhhhhhhh, now it all makes sense and the BIG picture! Thanks, BanjoSaysWoof. Smith yelled at Gfeller for shoving Ash as soon as he walked off the mat. Ref came over and told Smith both teams were deducted a point. Smith didn’t say a word back to the Ref. All match long Smith was all over the refs arguing on EVERYTHING he could. I was wondering why not on that. I missed Smith’s gun action watching the match. Ha.

Go RU!
Diane

Then Smith is lying because he clearly states in hi press conference he did not see Gfeller push Ashnault

Is this where the off mat official whispers out of earshot, 'sorry about that locked hands reversal call, maybe we can look for a hands to the face to make up for it ? : lol

49787423_10217023446394437_2480887399249346560_n.jpg

Yep, all match long. At the start of the Suriano/Fix match, Smith spoke to the ref about hands to the head and calling it. That ref nodded yes and was aware of it. Ref came over later to Smith and whispered again just like that. I yelled to the both of them “why don’t you just get walkie talkies and make it easier to just have conversations?” They briefly looked at me and walked away from each other. Don’t even give me the “this is the 2nd ref that wasn’t making the decisions crap” because obviously refs talk to each other.

MOVING ALONG, as Jersey Boys stated above, “Time to move on. Suriano needs to shoot and take the match on his own. Wrestle cautious for 7 minutes and you ask for the refs to take it”. So don’t “at me”.

Go RU!
Diane

Then Smith is lying because he clearly states in hi press conference he did not see Gfeller push Ashnault

I don’t know what to tell you but as soon as Gfeller walked off the mat, Smith grabbed him and yelled “What are you dooooiinnning??? You don’t do that”. So, he knew something was up whether he saw it or not. He got filled in rather quickly then.

UPDATE: OOPS, I remember exactly what happened. Gfeller was walking off the mat and was making the gun motion to explain to Asst Coaches/Smith what Ash did and why he pushed him. Smith grabbed him like I said and said “What are you dooooiinnnnng??? You don’t do that!”. So, in fairness, Smith may not have “seen” it happen.

Go RU!
Diane

Last edited:
Re: Ashnault

I ****ing LOVED what he did and it’s about time one of our athletes, one of our teams, started showing some BALLS on the mat:
/field:court/etc.. “poor sportsmanship”? Pffft, hardly! Bottom line: I think we need to see a little more of this attitude from our players, teams, and coaches, throughout the entire athletic department. I’ve been preaching this for a while now: our entire athletic department has a severe identity crisis, inferiority complex, and desperately lacks an attitude to “go for the kill” FAR too often. Hire a damn sports pyscoligist already!!!

Ash beat a “rival,” he had some fun with it, no harm done.

Reactions: ruready07
Ahhhhhhhh, now it all makes sense and the BIG picture! Thanks, BanjoSaysWoof. Smith yelled at Gfeller for shoving Ash as soon as he walked off the mat. Ref came over and told Smith both teams were deducted a point. Smith didn’t say a word back to the Ref. All match long Smith was all over the refs arguing on EVERYTHING he could. I was wondering why not on that. I missed Smith’s gun action watching the match. Ha.

Go RU!
Diane

Smith continued on with Gfeller behind the matside seats. He was reaming Gfeller a new one. I thought Gfeller was the lone instigator between Ashnault until the person next to me explained what started it. I couldn't see Ash with his "guns" due to the fact of the perfectly timed smoke screen shooting out of the smoke screen by the RU staff.

Re: Ashnault

I ****ing LOVED what he did and it’s about time one of our athletes, one of our teams, started showing some BALLS on the mat:
/field:court/etc.. “poor sportsmanship”? Pffft, hardly! Bottom line: I think we need to see a little more of this attitude from our players, teams, and coaches, throughout the entire athletic department. I’ve been preaching this for a while now: our entire athletic department has a severe identity crisis, inferiority complex, and desperately lacks an attitude to “go for the kill” FAR too often. Hire a damn sports pyscoligist already!!!

Ash beat a “rival,” he had some fun with it, no harm done.

Put it like that and I look at it a little differently. But just a little. Ash is a sixth year senior shooting his guns after he beat someone he should have beaten. I look at it as showboating that is unnecessary. He did his talking on the mat.

How come both Correnti and Glasgow didn't take bottom? It seems they each left one point on the mat by choosing neutral.

First period, Glasgow looked real good on his feet. I felt that would have been the best choice for him. This was the first match I saw where he impressed me (I missed Wiskey). Strength, good hips, worked well in 50/50 situations and he is quick.

Smith continued on with Gfeller behind the matside seats. He was reaming Gfeller a new one. I thought Gfeller was the lone instigator between Ashnault until the person next to me explained what started it. I couldn't see Ash with his "guns" due to the fact of the perfectly timed smoke screen shooting out of the smoke screen by the RU staff.

Put it like that and I look at it a little differently. But just a little. Ash is a sixth year senior shooting his guns after he beat someone he should have beaten. I look at it as showboating that is unnecessary. He did his talking on the mat.

First period, Glasgow looked real good on his feet. I felt that would have been the best choice for him. This was the first match I saw where he impressed me (I missed Wiskey). Strength, good hips, worked well in 50/50 situations and he is quick.

Its not showboating if their coach did it to Ash. He was just dishing it right back to them. I'm fine with it. If Smith didn't do it first....not fine with it.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Flowrestling pre match notes, hope it pastes:

Here is some more journalism 101 from your humble correspondent:

• Scarlet Knight alumni Anthony Perrotti (three-time national qualifier, NCAA eighth in 2014, NCAA eighth in 2016), Billy Smith (four-time national qualifier, NCAA round of 12 in 2016) and Scott Winston (four-time national qualifier, NCAA round of 12 in 2011) will be honored by Rutgers before the dual. Additionally, Scott Delvecchio (three-time national qualifier, NCAA sixth in 2018) is back in town. All three honored RU alums got a large round of applause from the rapidly filling arena.
  • Rutgers will be hosting a multitude of recruits, including 2019 commits JoJo Aragona and Rob Kanniard.
  • The chicken buffet in the media room is excellent.
  • New Jersey Regional Training Center head coach and three-time senior freestyle world team member Reece Humphrey is in the building.
  • There is a DJ, he is very good, in my amateur estimation.
  • The concourse is very busy, and the lines for the restrooms are not short, perhaps due to the pre-match tailgating I have heard tale of.
Here is FloWrestling's own Willie Saylor with more form Reece:

ADVERTISEMENT