ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread: Rutgers vs. Rider

Really love the way Oliveri is wrestling. You can really see him developing and getting better, more confident each match.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Crackers you are a new man with all this positivity the past few weeks! :)
Yeah, I'm a regular Tony Robbins...lol. let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Seriously there is a lot to be positive about. I'll definitely say something, if I feel like a wrestler is slacking off to their ability. Do not like what I see from Andrew Clark. He's gassing out way too quick and shouldn't at this point of the season. I'm wondering if his heart is really into it or he feels obligated. Same goes for O'Neill. I understand there's a rivalry between him and reitsma, but he shouldn't get out of position like that. I felt bad for him when they were holding up the plaque, but he'll bounce back. It's tough getting thrown out there. Did like what I saw from olivieri. The kid is really starting to develop. I know people were concerned about Sebastian Rivera tonight, but Quinn Kinner was the real deal coming out of high school. Why he's at Rider, is a huge mystery to me. That place is like a high school with ashtrays. Anyway I'm not going to take away the kids Thunder, and was super impressed with how they wrestled oh, and Boone's throw was pretty sick.

It was amazing watching the rider wrestler that won his bout run around like a crazy person. We kicked their butts.

Yeah, I'm a regular Tony Robbins...lol. let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Seriously there is a lot to be positive about. I'll definitely say something, if I feel like a wrestler is slacking off to their ability. Do not like what I see from Andrew Clark. He's gassing out way too quick and shouldn't at this point of the season. I'm wondering if his heart is really into it or he feels obligated. Same goes for O'Neill. I understand there's a rivalry between him and reitsma, but he shouldn't get out of position like that. I felt bad for him when they were holding up the plaque, but he'll bounce back. It's tough getting thrown out there. Did like what I saw from olivieri. The kid is really starting to develop. I know people were concerned about Sebastian Rivera tonight, but Quinn Kinner was the real deal coming out of high school. Why he's at Rider, is a huge mystery to me. That place is like a high school with ashtrays. Anyway I'm not going to take away the kids Thunder, and was super impressed with how they wrestled oh, and Boone's throw was pretty sick.
I feel like Clark and Kanniard Both look gassed. I know Kanniard won but he lost a lot steam after 1st period. Not sure if it would help or hurt Clark but maybe they should flip flop if Kanniard is cutting too much weight which many have said on here. Clark was a 152 in HS so 157 shouldn’t be crazy for him. Guys all see too big for him at 165.

Because of a disappointing start to his college career, a lot of people forget how good Kinner is. 2x NJ state champ, Beast of the East Champ, Flonationals runner-up. Was a top 20 recruit in the class of 2019. Rutgers recruited him hard, but he chose Ohio State
Why did Kinner transfer out of Ohio St and why pick Rider? A wrestler with those credentials would have a ton of options. Did RU try to get him again when he was transferring? Could have used him next few years to take either Rivera or MVB spot.

Anyone got any intel on Joey Silva? He was at the match tonight. Seems like he might be coming to RU? Either that or he's a fan of RU or just good friends with Seabass/the team. Kid is a hammer. Would be awesome to have him in the room.

Last edited:
Why did Kinner transfer out of Ohio St and why pick Rider? A wrestler with those credentials would have a ton of options. Did RU try to get him again when he was transferring? Could have used him next few years to take either Rivera or MVB spot.
He probably couldn’t find a starting spot at Ohio st as his weight shifted a lot… 133 all the way up to 157… Probably got homesick to move back home…. Not sure if Kinner would be able to find a starting spot next year… we got Alvarez/White, plus more that can fill out there.

Anyone got any intel on Joey Silva? He was at the match tonight. Seems like he might be coming to RU? Either that or he's a fan of RU or just good friends with Seabass/the team. Kid is a hammer. Would be awesome to have him in the room.
Is that the same one from Michigan rn? His weight seems to be 133 and wouldn’t we have a log jam there wit Raimo/Garcia/Peterson/Oliveri

He probably couldn’t find a starting spot at Ohio st as his weight shifted a lot… 133 all the way up to 157… Probably got homesick to move back home…. Not sure if Kinner would be able to find a starting spot next year… we got Alvarez/White, plus more that can fill out there.
Speaking of Alvarez what's going on with him? This is the second season we really don't have him. At this point with our lower weights so loaded, is it worth for him to even stay with us anymore. He's one of my favorite wrestlers, but I see a bad pattern that is all too familiar with wrestlers that don't end up panning out. I'm hoping we can see him again , but more importantly that his mental and physical health is good.

I don’t understand why we’re doing a trophy with them? Didn’t the rider staff talk a bunch of shit about us?
Yeah I didn't understand that either. I thought we did that with just Princeton. Is the "we are great and you guys suck trophy"? Yeah that was that little piece of shit Nace talking crap like he always does. Rider is like white trash central. If you don't have some prison quality tattoo on your arm, an array of assault charges, and under a 900 on your SAT, you'll be kicked off the wrestling team

Reactions: JudgeSmails56
Is that the same one from Michigan rn? His weight seems to be 133 and wouldn’t we have a log jam there wit Raimo/Garcia/Peterson/Oliveri
Yeah that's him and I agree, but as we've seen, anything can happen with wrestlers as what happened with him in Michigan. Nothing is guaranteed. I do know he's training freestyle as he's on the Puerto Rico team

Yeah that's him and I agree, but as we've seen, anything can happen with wrestlers as what happened with him in Michigan. Nothing is guaranteed. I do know he's training freestyle as he's on the Puerto Rico team
My guess just up here training. Of course very talented on the mat.....classroom, not so sure. Be very surprised if he enrolls at RU

Yeah I didn't understand that either. I thought we did that with just Princeton. Is the "we are great and you guys suck trophy"? Yeah that was that little piece of shit Nace talking crap like he always does. Rider is like white trash central. If you don't have some prison quality tattoo on your arm, an array of assault charges, and under a 900 on your SAT, you'll be kicked off the wrestling team
Nace has not been on the Rider staff for a few years. I think you are thinking of Bedelyon. My experience with him is he is a very good coach and we would love his intensity if he was on our side....He is annoying as all hell on the other team. Lol

Can never have too much talent in the room but we need to looking for middle weights (157 - 174) as we have long jams at the lower and upper weights going forward.

Every year people complain and get butthurt about Rider, their fans, parents, etc. Some complaints about why we even schedule them, how they’re not on our level and so on. Yet those feelings aren’t shared when we wrestle the Centenary’s and Fresno States of the wrestling world. For some reason, there’s a lot of people who don’t like Rider.

Now imagine all that disdain if Rider improves and becomes a quality opponent annually. That’s why there’s a trophy.

Speaking of Alvarez what's going on with him? This is the second season we really don't have him. At this point with our lower weights so loaded, is it worth for him to even stay with us anymore. He's one of my favorite wrestlers, but I see a bad pattern that is all too familiar with wrestlers that don't end up panning out. I'm hoping we can see him again , but more importantly that his mental and physical health is good.
All too familiar? Yes. Alvarez signaled last year that making 133 was difficult for him. He should never have had to make that weight this year. If he had spent the year building strength and bulking up, he might be our 149 guy this year, assuming he would have been allowed to wrestle-off for the spot. If you look back to my line-up prediction for this year, I had him sidelined. I was told there was no way he would be sidelined.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
All too familiar? Yes. Alvarez signaled last year that making 133 was difficult for him. He should never have had to make that weight this year. If he had spent the year building strength and bulking up, he might be our 149 guy this year, assuming he would have been allowed to wrestle-off for the spot. If you look back to my line-up prediction for this year, I had him sidelined. I was told there was no way he would be sidelined.
Wonder if one of Alvarez/Anthony White can hit the weight room and bulk up to 157 for next year.

Wonder if one of Alvarez/Anthony White can hit the weight room and bulk up to 157 for next year.
Honestly, I'm not a big proponent of weight cuts but I do realize it's part of the sport and some do well with it. Increasing muscle mass and the resulting strength is a better solution to drastic weight loss. Unless White has trouble maintaining 149, I think we're better off with him there. He has proven to be very competitive at that weight and it may not be wise to move him up unless he has problems maintaining 149. It may be a matter of whether Sammy can do 141 next year without the same difficulty. If he can't, then what you said may make sense.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Every year people complain and get butthurt about Rider, their fans, parents, etc. Some complaints about why we even schedule them, how they’re not on our level and so on. Yet those feelings aren’t shared when we wrestle the Centenary’s and Fresno States of the wrestling world. For some reason, there’s a lot of people who don’t like Rider.

Now imagine all that disdain if Rider improves and becomes a quality opponent annually. That’s why there’s a trophy.
There is definitely some gamesmanship goin on with them too which adds to the match ..not showing up for intros was a sample ...lots more excitement with these guys then some of the early lame matches we had

Ofc it’s worth it for Alvarez to stay… many forget how awesome a freshman season Sammy had… , beating top 10 ranked guys like Sykora, Philippi en route to a Southern Scuffle title… had very close matches w/ RBY and Seth Gross… thing is Alvarez never seems to be able to make the post season…

What’s frustrating is Alvarez destroying himself to try make 133 (even trying 125 to make murderers lineup) to the point he can’t even make weight anymore.. even worse seein his former freshman peers at 133, Lovett(beat him before) and Gomez ranked top 10 at new 149 weight… anyways, I hope Sammy can wrestle at a better weight 149/157 next season.. or 141 if he really wants that…

Sammy has great potential and seems like a good kid. Wonder if the coaches could have done a better job in guiding him. He was a late transfer from NC State and had a really good freshman year. With the weight issues last year, I wondered if he was undisciplined. Then, knowing he had trouble making weight and maybe concentrating last year, not sure why the coaches were unable to guide him better this year. Really hoping he reaches his potential next year. He can be really exciting and special.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Coaches can only do do much guiding kids. Sammy may have seen that his trouble last year cutting 10-15 pounds quickly was not the way to go do this year he kept it down but that also took its physical and mental toll. He knew if he could not wrestle 133 he was not beating Seabass so 149 or 257 was his only choice.

Reactions: Leonard23
He may have been able to go 149 but at least we have a guy currently at 149 thats 15-1 on the season.

Coaches can only do do much guiding kids. Sammy may have seen that his trouble last year cutting 10-15 pounds quickly was not the way to go do this year he kept it down but that also took its physical and mental toll. He knew if he could not wrestle 133 he was not beating Seabass so 149 or 257 was his only choice.
Recognizing that he likely couldn't hold 133 and Rivera was at 141 could the coach have encouraged Sammy to Redshirt and have still have time to become a 3 time All American? Or is it the wrestlers choice to redshirt or not?

Pretty much the wrestlers choice unless the coaches say we will fund you for 4 years and the 5th is on you.

Pretty much the wrestlers choice unless the coaches say we will fund you for 4 years and the 5th is on you.
Bill so wouldn't it make sense for Kanniard to go up to 65 and maybe Alvarez go a 57? I sympathize with Kanniard.That cut to 150 really sucks. At this point Clark is just not getting it done and looks totally worked over. It would make the most sense for Kanniard to go up to 165 and Alvarez I57. There's no harm in trying him at 57. If Sammy is riding the bench and is losing a year it's an absolute waste,and a downright atrocity. I think Sammy has the perfect body and height to be a career 157 pounder. Trust me I know

Reactions: KidDagger
Come on Crackers. I got under 900 on my SATs back in 1958 and I got into RU on my charm and gopay
Bill so wouldn't it make sense for Kanniard to go up to 65 and maybe Alvarez go a 57? I sympathize with Kanniard.That cut to 150 really sucks. At this point Clark is just not getting it done and looks totally worked over. It would make the most sense for Kanniard to go up to 165 and Alvarez I57. There's no harm in trying him at 57. If Sammy is riding the bench and is losing a year it's an absolute waste,and a downright atrocity. I think Sammy has the perfect body and height to be a career 157 pounder. Trust me I know
I just don’t see the muscle mass you need for that weight ...149 I think would work but does he beat White in the room ...there are some big guys at 157 ..he would need to get in the gym hard to manage it for sure .

He may have been able to go 149 but at least we have a guy currently at 149 thats 15-1 on the season.
Goodale has never been a big wrestle off guy… whoever performed better at 149 wins spot and the other one would go to 157… which also bumps Kanniard(heard he cutting a lot to make 157) up to 165. Probably our best lineup if ppl can fill the weight…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT