ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Bullock and Souf Mensah to leave program

Not going to jump up and down with joy about it, but it needed to be done for the good of the program.

Good luck in their future endeavors.

Last edited:
Reactions: TODDB33
It could get a little deeper.....
1. I am always a fan of HS 4 year players, but it is March 23rd...who is left on the board?
2. Grad transfers....really don't like this. Realisticly player not coming to play in NCAAs. Will a player come here to be a backup? Don't want a guy solely looking for numbers for a professional career (see JJ Moore)
3. Transfers...we are EARLY in the game here. Get a zero in '18-'19, but zero could be better than a 4 year player that may not be good enough to be a rotation player. I see why the Kiss thing happened. i wasn't happy with ZEROES this year, but.... SEE #1 and #2
4. Leave the spot open (throw Nathan a 1 year bone?)
While I agree with throwing somebody a bone, I don't know how the Big 10 rules holding scholarships for 4 years restricts you from doing this.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Id be curious if Marques Townes of Loyola Chicago would be interested in grad transferring to RU. He graduates in May and shoots 40% from 3, is 6’4 can play the wing, from Edison and has a bunch of friends on the football team at RU, i see all the guys shouting him out on social media. Also very likely his coach is headed on outta there after the tourney

Id be curious if Marques Townes of Loyola Chicago would be interested in grad transferring to RU. He graduates in May and shoots 40% from 3, is 6’4 can play the wing, from Edison and has a bunch of friends on the football team at RU, i see all the guys shouting him out on social media. Also very likely his coach is headed on outta there after the tourney

If Corey goes
1. Tai Strickland (4 years)
2. marques Townes (1 year)
3. Sister Jean (1 year)

If Corey stays forget Tai, bring on the other 2

I was frantically screaming we had no ships. I was told to calm down, there are always transfers. I was totally wrong, my critics were totally correct. Now, let the speculation on who we get to replace these guys ( and I wish them well) continue full throtle.

I wish Souf and Matt the best of luck moving forward. Hopefully we can bring in two players to help us moving forward.

Reactions: ChasRC69
Wishing both Matt and Souf the best and a success wherever they chose to continue playing basketball.
Hopefully Rutgers is able to replace them with talented players who will play at a higher level than Matt & Souf did, but be quality teammates like they were and help Rutgers become a better program.

Reactions: LC-88 and Loyal-Son
We will take him

So I actually play men's league with Townes' cousin and jokingly said this to him. He said that would be amazing, but Loyola is returning 3/5 key players in a league without Wichita, so who knows but it is an idea that could come to fruition

Use one on strickland, one on hyatt, if you can't get hyatt then get a grad transfer, and if you can get a bigman upgrade over Shaq you do it.

Reactions: RUMANIAC

:eyes:

I posted a while ago that these two were candidates to leave the program based on playing time and clear indications from the coaching staff. They had to move these guys to make some room. No surprise at all notwithstanding the doubts expressed by some on this forum.

Now there is absolute clarity regarding Bullock & Mensah - They are to be respected & wished well in all of their pursuits

Still waiting on the Corey questions ....

and is there any certainty regarding Shaq Doorson? last report was that he is graduating & has one year of eligibility remaining - will he be a graduate student playing for Rutgers - or will he opt to be a grad transfer somewhere else?

Couldn't disagree more on Bullock.
You understand that your perfect 20/20 hindsight makes you sound like a jackass right? Nobody wanted eugene. At the time, lots of local reporter's were saying bullock was a good pickup.

Do you think every player he picked up at stony brook worked out and they didn't have to force players out the same way? It's a massive rebuild. We break a few eggs along the way..shit happens.

Yeah, but he's also the one that brought them on board in the first place and those were big mistakes. Have to be fair.

Actually they weren't mistakes....they were necessary short term plays that in a perfect scenario, Bullock was what Eugene turned into.........what is or would be the mistake is compounding it, by sticking with this same game plan for another year....no recruiting rebuild is perfect and Bullock was a bridge towards potentially landing Naz Reid.....was certainly worth the risk....Souf impacted nothing on count of 13, as a 1 year stop here.

You understand that your perfect 20/20 hindsight makes you sound like a jackass right? Nobody wanted eugene. At the time, lots of local reporter's were saying bullocks was a good pickup.
You don't have a freaking clue, pal. Do I look like a local reporter? We took a stocky 6-3/6-4 high school player with no decent (any?) D1 offers in the Spring of his senior year who did not have a natural college position. If he played for North Warren H.S. no one would've said it was a good pickup. "They" said it was good to try to create inroads with his high school. My opinion has always been that you don't throw away valuable scholarships to create relationships or in the faint hopes that in 2 years his 5 start buddy MIGHT join us for one year. I watched ONE open practice his freshman year and posted on this board that he would never make any contribution for which I got completely ripped for.

Last edited:

but why...his team is on the verge of the final 4 and they are mostly coming back next year with more high expectations, so why come here and 99.9% chance of not going back to the NCAA tourney

Reactions: soundcrib
Actually they weren't mistakes....they were necessary short term plays that in a perfect scenario, Bullock was what Eugene turned into.........what is or would be the mistake is compounding it, by sticking with this same game plan for another year....no recruiting rebuild is perfect and Bullock was a bridge towards potentially landing Naz Reid.....was certainly worth the risk....Souf impacted nothing on count of 13, as a 1 year stop here.

Souf was 100% a mistake. He took the place of someone that Pike could count on to give Sanders and Baker a breather and not be a liability.

With that said wish him and Bullock the best.

but why...his team is on the verge of the final 4 and they are mostly coming back next year with more high expectations, so why come here and 99.9% chance of not going back to the NCAA tourney
because theyre losing 2 starters, most likely their coach, hes from nj, he might want some exposure in a big time conference if he has aspirations of the next level? youre so damn pessimistic that even the thought of something good has your panties in a bunch haha

Now based on our previous history, we should expect to see Bullock and Souf in next year's NCAA tournament.

You figure someone will take them just for the reverse curse. We're just about batting 1000 when it comes our transfers getting to the Big Dance.

You don't have a freaking clue, pal. Do I look like a local reporter? We took a stocky 6-3/6-4 high school player with no decent (any?) D1 offers in the Spring of his senior year who did not have a natural college position. If he played for North Warren H.S. no one would've said it was a good pickup. "They" said it was good to try to create inroads with his high school. My opinion has always been that you don't throw away valuable scholarships to create relationships or in the faint hopes that in 2 years his 5 start buddy MIGHT join us for one year. I watched ONE open practice his freshman year and posted on this board that he would never make any contribution for which I got completely ripped for.
Again, your perfect 20/20 hindsight makes you sound like a jackass. And what 'they' were talking about was how bullock was matching up with 5 star recruits in h.s. games. Would've loved to get your scouting report on eugene.

ADVERTISEMENT