ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Bullock and Souf Mensah to leave program

Because some people always want the next new shiny toy. Short attention span. Maybe some of them have ADHD.[roll][roll][roll]

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/tests/personality/attention-span-test

Actually ...I made a legit statement. He just doesn’t score enough in the minutes he played and he got a LOT of minutes when Williams was out.

I just don’t see that improving a lot

We need to improve our scoring...and the weakest places we scored last year was from the 3 and 5 spots on offense.

I just don’t ever see him scoring 12 points a game in 27 minutes from the three spot. That’s the typical “average” number you need from a starter at the three spot from a winning power five team and I think kids coming have the potential to grow into those numbers....

I'm not saying Thiam is going to start--that depends on a lot of things--but I highly doubt a 6'10" junior who can defend and hit the 3 is going to go from starter to 2nd to last guy off the bench. I think he'll be one of the first off the bench if he doesn't start. I think he'll take another leap forward in his development like he did this year from last year. A lot of people wrote of Omoruyi from last year to this year too and he ended up as a starter by the end of the season.

Id be curious if Marques Townes of Loyola Chicago would be interested in grad transferring to RU. He graduates in May and shoots 40% from 3, is 6’4 can play the wing, from Edison and has a bunch of friends on the football team at RU, i see all the guys shouting him out on social media. Also very likely his coach is headed on outta there after the tourney
Didn't he transfer from FDU to Loyola

The difference is that you still aren't able to put a human face on this. They've moved on. Best of luck to them. They obviously didn't fit on the basketball court, but rooting for them to leave is not a kind thing to do. This university cannot be only about athletic success (thankfully, or else we would be a horrible university), it's about the people within it.

I’m not going to get into an argument, I agree athletic success isn’t the end all be all, but we must be the only fan base that doesn’t make athletic success a priority. I give two shits what Rutgers does as academic institution. Whether they’re ranked 1st or 500th as a academic place I could care less

Actually ...I made a legit statement. He just doesn’t score enough in the minutes he played and he got a LOT of minutes when Williams was out.

We need to improve our scoring...and the weakest places we scored last year was from the 3 and 5 spots on offense.

I just don’t ever see him scoring 12 points a game in 27 minutes from the three spot. That’s the typical “average” number you need from a starter at the three spot from a winning power five team and I think kids coming have the potential to grow into those numbers....
I wasn't coming after you. I was making fun of how quickly people move on the next new thing without ever giving the previous new "thing" a chance to succeed.

Thiam is not going to be a forgotten man that quickly. I know for a fact that in any sport where you play strong defense, the coach will find a spot for you on the court, field or ice. There will be games where scoring points will be difficult, but defense is the one thing you can control every game. All I'm going to say is watch Florida State right now. Everyone is talking about how dangerous they are and how they can score especially from the wing. I recall Thiam doing a helluva job against those guys to the point they were p*ssed. You pointed out how the 1, 2 and 4 positions can score, but I recall multiple games where the players at those positions never showed up on either side of the ball. What purpose does it serve to give up as many points as you score? Thiam gave you the same effort every game with the same result on defense. His guy wasn't the reason why Rutgers loss some games. Thiam may not have the natural gifts of Corey or Geo, but he has length and a work ethic that is easy to see. If his confidence is straight he can score because he has shown at times when pushed to score more. Thiam situation is similar to what I saw with Barry Sanders playing a supporting role to Thurman Thomas at Oklahoma State in the 80s. Sanders could get the job done, but you step aside for the guy perceived to be player who has to carry the team.

I’m not going to get into an argument, I agree athletic success isn’t the end all be all, but we must be the only fan base that doesn’t make athletic success a priority. I give two shits what Rutgers does as academic institution. Whether they’re ranked 1st or 500th as a academic place I could care less
You would be in the minority here. I would guess most on this forum have RU degrees and would certainly care aboutvRUs academic success. Two of my diplomas say RU and I donate, so RU doing well is also important. Not sure where the thought process that academic and athletic success are mutually exclusive came from?

Last edited:
Most competition there has been in last couple years. Players will be pushed. Thiam and Kiss will compete for that wing spot.

Reactions: winfield102
You would be in the minority here. I would guess most on this forum have RU degrees and would certainly care aboutvRUs academic success. Two of my diplomas say RU and I donate, so RU doing well is also important. Not sure where the thought process that academic and athletic success are mutually exclusive.

Well unfortunately Rutgers didn't let me in because of 1 class I did poorly in at prior school. Therefore IDC how they do academically

Reactions: rubaseball78
You don't have a freaking clue, pal. Do I look like a local reporter? We took a stocky 6-3/6-4 high school player with no decent (any?) D1 offers in the Spring of his senior year who did not have a natural college position. If he played for North Warren H.S. no one would've said it was a good pickup. "They" said it was good to try to create inroads with his high school. My opinion has always been that you don't throw away valuable scholarships to create relationships or in the faint hopes that in 2 years his 5 start buddy MIGHT join us for one year. I watched ONE open practice his freshman year and posted on this board that he would never make any contribution for which I got completely ripped for.
If memory serves me wasn’t he named All State his senior year. That is a fairly good representation as to whether he has skills or not. Seems to have some pretty good skill sets and I and probably some others can’t figure why they didn’t translate to better performance.

Reactions: AshCatchEm
The basketball team may be better of as a program, but the campus will miss these kids.

Good luck to both!

Reactions: Rokodesh
If memory serves me wasn’t he named All State his senior year. That is a fairly good representation as to whether he has skills or not. Seems to have some pretty good skill sets and I and probably some others can’t figure why they didn’t translate to better performance.
He was. 1st team all state Senior year.

Hoping for improvement but 14 ppg is a pipe dream. I’ll take 10 ppg.
Rutgers needs double digit scoring from 3-4 starters and 4-6 points from bench players.Bottom line the team must score more than 60 points against B1G rivals to show real improvement.

Reactions: APKnight

Well it’s interesting looking at Final Four bound Loyola-Chicago that their wing during his sophomore year had the same scoring average as Thiam. And he only shot 28% from 3p but for some inexplicable reason (per folks on this board) they kept him around another 2 years and kept playing him. Lol

And I think we can tell from this tourney is that a great a coach as Pike is, he has plenty of room for improvement on the offensive side because these winning teams are patient, relying on screens and passing to take open 3s.

IMO, I’m going to say that a final 4 bound coach may know something about player development.

Hey Box...I did not even mention Rebounding...He went from maybe 1/2 a game to about 5-6 per game. All part off him developing.

Yeah the only realistic chance that Rutgers has getting into the tourney is via the long game such as player development and maybe get lucky with a JUCO or Grad-Transfer player or 2 that exceed expectations. Also possible with a freshman but even 5-Stars hit the wall deep into a season.

I wasn't coming after you. I was making fun of how quickly people move on the next new thing without ever giving the previous new "thing" a chance to succeed.

Thiam is not going to be a forgotten man that quickly. I know for a fact that in any sport where you play strong defense, the coach will find a spot for you on the court, field or ice. There will be games where scoring points will be difficult, but defense is the one thing you can control every game. All I'm going to say is watch Florida State right now. Everyone is talking about how dangerous they are and how they can score especially from the wing. I recall Thiam doing a helluva job against those guys to the point they were p*ssed. You pointed out how the 1, 2 and 4 positions can score, but I recall multiple games where the players at those positions never showed up on either side of the ball. What purpose does it serve to give up as many points as you score? Thiam gave you the same effort every game with the same result on defense. His guy wasn't the reason why Rutgers loss some games. Thiam may not have the natural gifts of Corey or Geo, but he has length and a work ethic that is easy to see. If his confidence is straight he can score because he has shown at times when pushed to score more. Thiam situation is similar to what I saw with Barry Sanders playing a supporting role to Thurman Thomas at Oklahoma State in the 80s. Sanders could get the job done, but you step aside for the guy perceived to be player who has to carry the team.

Hey @cubuffsdoug, I wonder if our experience with a Rocky Mountain education at a school that produces champions in several sports and as many Nobel laureates as it does NBA & NFL players provides one with unique insight and perspective?!
;-) lol

Thiam is 6’10 and can shoot. He has the most unique skill set on the team. He certainly needs to develop his game more and be more assertive on offense. But, I have a hard time time seeing his role getting reduced. RU needs more out of him in addition to guys like Baker, Omoruyi, and Doucoure for the program to turn around.

The new recruits are great additions, but I think people have to keep their expectations realistic and not expect too much from them on day one.

He averaged 7 this year. I think he will be somewhere between 10-12.

How? By taking more shots and not passing up open opportunities like he did this year. It's not that he can't make the plays, he just lacked confidence and needs to be more assertive. Another year of development should help him gain that confidence.

If we are happy being 3-15 let the same players play in their same roles and hope they magically get better OR realize that what we are doing just is not working. For a P5 team to be were we have been offensively should make people think nothing is right and everything needs to change.

Good shooters don’t lack confidence.

If we are happy being 3-15 let the same players play in their same roles and hope they magically get better OR realize that what we are doing just is not working. For a P5 team to be were we have been offensively should make people think nothing is right and everything needs to change.

Smh

Not sure your point about magically getting better. So you are saying no college player improves/develops year to year?

Not sure your point about magically getting better. So you are saying no college player improves/develops year to year?

we finished 273rd in offensive efficiency. That is 7 th out of 8 in Ivy league...middle of the road MEAC. This is a lot more than just guys improving. This is about guys getting replaced....no one is adequate offensively. The names in the 273rd area should make people puke.

He averaged 7 this year. I think he will be somewhere between 10-12.

How? By taking more shots and not passing up open opportunities like he did this year. It's not that he can't make the plays, he just lacked confidence and needs to be more assertive. Another year of development should help him gain that confidence.
Good shooters don't pass up open shots.

LOL. The Rutgers equivalent of Walmart Wolverines.

Hate stuff like that. You can surely have a winning team in the Big 10 without having a minimum number of points from a specific position.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Thiam is 6’10 and can shoot. He has the most unique skill set on the team. He certainly needs to develop his game more and be more assertive on offense. But, I have a hard time time seeing his role getting reduced. RU needs more out of him in addition to guys like Baker, Omoruyi, and Doucoure for the program to turn around.

The new recruits are great additions, but I think people have to keep their expectations realistic and not expect too much from them on day one.
I think with Kiss eligible and Harper available Thiam's playing will definitely be reduced.

we finished 273rd in offensive efficiency. That is 7 th out of 8 in Ivy league...middle of the road MEAC. This is a lot more than just guys improving. This is about guys getting replaced....no one is adequate offensively. The names in the 273rd area should make people puke.

So comparing the development of the wings left in the tourney with Thiam, you would’ve replaced all but maybe Bridges? Lmao.

Hmmm, But the 3 Elite schools with way more depth than Rutgers stuck with the players?!

Issa Thiam
So 7pt & 4.4rb shot 36.4% 3PA 3.6

Donte Ingram Loyola
So. 7.4 & 4.1 3p 28% 3PA 2.8
JR 13.6 & 6.8 45% 3PA 4.1
Sr. 11.3 & 6.3. 39.3% 3PA 5.1

Duncan Robinson Michigan
Soph. 7.7 & 1.7 42% 3PA 4.0
Jr. 9.6 & 2.5 39.5% 3PA 5.0

Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk KU
Soph. 5.4 & 1.3 3p 40% 3PA 2.6
Jr. 9.8 & 3.0 39.8% 3PA 4.9
Sr. 14.8 & 3.8 45.1% 3PA 6.6

Mikal Bridges Nova
Soph 9.8 & 4.6 shot 39.3% 3PA 3.1
Jr. 18.0 & 5.4 44.6%. 3PA 6.0

I agree with your statement that the Rutgers fan base doesn't make athletic success a priority.I disagree strongly regarding your comments on Rutgers academic reputation.

Reactions: Dpgru
Ridiculous statement for many reasons. Athletic success is a priority but so is academic excellence. One can have pride in one's institution for many reasons ,success in athletics and academics are two notable examples. And they aren't mutually exclusive and the Big Ten has multiple examples such as Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois. Even Penn State is a fine academic institution. So is Maryland. And so is and should be Rutgers. Are you even associated with Rutgers as a student , alumni , or whatever?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT