ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Bullock and Souf Mensah to leave program

So, next year we will have a minimum of 7 new players which means A) we will get a glimpse at the kind of coach Pike is when he has players he put together, and B) it will be difficult to anticipate the kind of team we will have because we really don't know how these guys will play at this level and which ones will be ready to contribute right away. Certainly will be interesting to see and hopefully it will be a much better team. Go RU.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Per a Rutgers Press release:

“Matt and Souf have been great representatives of Rutgers Basketball,” said Head Coach Steve Pikiell. “We appreciate very much their contributions to our program. We support their decisions and wish them future success.”
I wish them both well, but I can't help but be very excited about their replacements.

Corey, Strickland, and Hyatt step on down

Starters
Baker
Sanders
Mathis
Onamuyri
Carter

Full second team off the bench
Strickland
Hyatt
Kiss
Doucoure
Johnson

Depth
Doorson
Thiam

Redshirt
Harper (grow into a PF)

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

Starters
Baker
Sanders
Mathis
Onamuyri
Carter

Strickland
Hyatt
Kiss
Doucoure
Johnson

Depth
Doorson
Thiam

Redshirt
Harper (grow into a PF)

This would be great, but still highly doubt a) Harper redshirts and b) Thiam and Doorson as juniors and seniors are just depth.

I get that, but when I stated these guys weren't good enough to warrant a BIG schollie I got shit for it, now that they are gone it seems people are celebrating it.. whats the difference?

The difference is that you still aren't able to put a human face on this. They've moved on. Best of luck to them. They obviously didn't fit on the basketball court, but rooting for them to leave is not a kind thing to do. This university cannot be only about athletic success (thankfully, or else we would be a horrible university), it's about the people within it.

Starters
Baker
Sanders
Mathis
Onamuyri
Carter

Strickland
Hyatt
Kiss
Doucoure
Johnson

Depth
Doorson
Thiam

Redshirt
Harper (grow into a PF)

If just for his defense, Thiam isn’t going to get stuck behind both Mathis & Kiss, especially in B1G play.
I think FSU’s run this tourney has shown how we underrate Thiam’s defense. Mann & Angola have been Stars this tourney but they were shut down by Thiam when Rutgers played FSU.

This year’s tourney has shown us that athletic length is crucial. Elite 8 bound Kansas State is heavily recruiting Thiam (Mohamed) but folks on this board keep trying to bury the Thiam here (Issa) deep on the bench.

Makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

Starters
Baker
Sanders
Mathis
Onamuyri
Carter

Strickland
Hyatt
Kiss
Doucoure
Johnson

Depth
Doorson
Thiam

Redshirt
Harper (grow into a PF)

I think this is pretty accurate but I think Johnson starts over Carter and maybe Thiam over Mathis. JMHO.

Starters
Baker
Sanders
Mathis
Onamuyri
Carter

Strickland
Hyatt
Kiss
Doucoure
Johnson

Depth
Doorson
Thiam

Redshirt
Harper (grow into a PF)

If just for his defense, Thiam isn’t going to get stuck behind both Mathis & Kiss, especially in B1G play.
I think FSU’s run this tourney has shown how we underrate Thiam’s defense. Mann & Angola have been Stars this tourney but they were shut down by Thiam when Rutgers played FSU.

This year’s tourney has shown us that athletic length is crucial. Elite 8 bound Kansas State is heavily recruiting a Thiam but folks on this board keep trying to bury the Thiam here on deep on the bench.

Makes no sense to me.

I agree. I was impressed by his post up game late in the year. And with his size if he ever learns how to score off the dribble he will be dangerous. From a distance it appears to be a confidence thing more so than ability. I bet he takes a big step forward next year and some folks around here will be eating crow.

Thiam is so underrated on here. Tall, good defense and best 3 point shooter as a soph. He's borderline starter but will get lots of minutes either way.

He also showed flashes of driving to the hoop and a post game towards the end of the season. If he can keep improving on that facet of his game he could be a matchup nightmare.

He already plays quiet but outstanding D.

He'll be more than a role player his last 2 years.

He also showed flashes of driving to the hoop and a post game towards the end of the season. If he can keep improving on that facet of his game he could be a matchup nightmare.

He already plays quiet but outstanding D.

He'll be more than a role player his last 2 years.

Most players improve the most from year 2 to 3. I expect good things from him as long as he stays confident.

Reactions: BoxStater
I think Thiam can be real good. Needs to take the next step skill wise and needs to go on a 7000 calorie a day diet like one of the college players did to gain weight. A significant amount of weight and strength are needed to help his game

Again, your perfect 20/20 hindsight makes you sound like a jackass. And what 'they' were talking about was how bullock was matching up with 5 star recruits in h.s. games. Would've loved to get your scouting report on eugene.
Do you know what hindsight even means? Bullock was a known quantity. He's from NJ if you weren't aware. There was plenty of video on him to view and he played on a high profile program that any college coach worth his salt would've been aware yet no one wanted the guy. Not sure what Eugene has to do with anything. He's from Canada, showed up right before the semester started when no one was paying attention and no one knew anything about him including me so I had no opinion on whatsoever. Believe you what your want, I'm not going to lose any sleep over some dude on a message board calling people names and trying to pick fights with people. Oy vey.

Starters
Baker
Sanders
Mathis
Onamuyri
Carter

Strickland
Hyatt
Kiss
Doucoure
Johnson

Depth
Doorson
Thiam

Redshirt
Harper (grow into a PF)

That's 13. Red shirts count against your 12. So either Sanders or Doorson leave or we don't get both Strickland and Hyatt.
TL

That's 13. Red shirts count against your 12. So either Sanders or Doorson leave or we don't get both Strickland and Hyatt.
TL

You get thirteen. We had 13 this year:

Corey
Geo
Souf
M Williams
Thiam
Bullock
Eugene
Doorson
Myles
Kiss
Freeman
Doucoure
Sa

Guys

I root for all of my guys st Rutgers

Thiam just doesn’t score close to enough on a points per minute basis at the small forward spot, which our total 40 minute scoring production really lacks.

He has a very limited game offensively, he doesn’t get much off the bounce and his height doesn’t translate to points on the offensive board

And he really needs a lot of time and space to get off his outside shot, without demonstrating the range beyond the tip of the stripes

In an ideal world, he would have redshirted as a frosh, and worked on bulking up and post moves as a Stretch four. We lacked depth and it didn’t happen

I think he will be passed on the depth chart and we will be better for it if we does. I think he just isn’t enough of offense on a team starved for offense

Even pike said in the court club that he is probably best being a spark on offense and I think this also

Nothing against the player...just an objective analysis on what I see

Hope he proves me wrong ...but that’s how I see it

Reactions: Local Shill
Guys

I root for all of my guys st Rutgers

Thiam just doesn’t score close to enough on a points per minute basis at the small forward spot, which our total 40 minute scoring production really lacks.

He has a very limited game offensively, he doesn’t get much off the bounce and his height doesn’t translate to points on the offensive board

And he really needs a lot of time and space to get off his outside shot, without demonstrating the range beyond the tip of the stripes

In an ideal world, he would have redshirted as a frosh, and worked on bulking up and post moves as a Stretch four. We lacked depth and it didn’t happen

I think he will be passed on the depth chart and we will be better for it if we does. I think he just isn’t enough of offense on a team starved for offense

Even pike said in the court club that he is probably best being a spark on offense and I think this also

Nothing against the player...just an objective analysis on what I see

Hope he proves me wrong ...but that’s how I see it

It's development. It's a multi-year process.

Year 1 - All he did was shoot open shots.

Year 2 - Added some drives to the basket and a post up game.

Year 3 - continue development of outside shot, drives and post up game. Add in More confidence as a Junior as he gets stronger.

Speaking of Pikiell... I heard him say he wants Thaim to shoot more...he did not take a lot of shots he should have taken...that's just a lack of confidence. Everyone here on this board saw him pass up WAY too many opportunities to shoot or go to the basket. Confidence ?

He is already a good perimeter defender with his length.

Last edited:
but why...his team is on the verge of the final 4 and they are mostly coming back next year with more high expectations, so why come here and 99.9% chance of not going back to the NCAA tourney

and if he went why would he come here when he could go to schools with certain NCAA seasons next year

It's called development. It's a multi-year process.

Year 1 - All he did was shoot open shots.

Year 2 - Added some drives to the basket and a post up game.

Year 3 - continue development of outside shot, drives and post up game. Add in More confidence as a Junior as he gets stronger.

Speaking of Pikiell... I heard him say he wants Thaim to shoot more...he did not take a lot of shots he should have taken...that's just a lack of confidence. Everyone here on this board saw him pass up WAY too many opportunities to shoot or go to the basket. Confidence ?

He is already a good perimeter defender with his length.

Exactly!
Look at how many of the teams left in the NCAA tourney are being lead by seniors. Even the elite “1 & Done” programs like Duke, Michigan, & Nova have strong senior starters & leadership.

So I don’t know why folks want to write off a sophomor, hoping year after year that a freshman will become an instant super-star instead of looking forward to what the team will look like when Thiam & Eugene are seniors & Geo is a junior.

Exactly!
Look at how many of the teams left in the NCAA tourney are being lead by seniors. Even the elite “1 & Done” programs like Duke, Michigan, & Nova have strong senior starters & leadership.

So I don’t know why folks want to write off a sophomor, hoping year after year that a freshman will become an instant super-star instead of looking forward to what the team will look like when Thiam & Eugene are seniors & Geo is a junior.

Hey Box...I did not even mention Rebounding...He went from maybe 1/2 a game to about 5-6 per game. All part off him developing.

Reactions: BoxStater
Exactly!

Because some people always want the next new shiny toy. Short attention span. Maybe some of them have ADHD.[roll][roll][roll]

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/tests/personality/attention-span-test

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Id be curious if Marques Townes of Loyola Chicago would be interested in grad transferring to RU. He graduates in May and shoots 40% from 3, is 6’4 can play the wing, from Edison and has a bunch of friends on the football team at RU, i see all the guys shouting him out on social media. Also very likely his coach is headed on outta there after the tourney
Is he related to Carl Anthony Towns? I think they played together at St. Joe's in Metuchen.

but why...his team is on the verge of the final 4 and they are mostly coming back next year with more high expectations, so why come here and 99.9% chance of not going back to the NCAA tourney
Who knows, maybe he wants to come home, but if he has to sit out a year, I don't see it happening.

I think Thiam can be real good. Needs to take the next step skill wise and needs to go on a 7000 calorie a day diet like one of the college players did to gain weight. A significant amount of weight and strength are needed to help his game
I think he was going to switch to Bullock's diet, but now that he is gone, I don't know if that is going to happen.

Reactions: Scangg and RU_DIO

Starters
Baker
Sanders
Mathis
Onamuyri
Carter

Strickland
Hyatt
Kiss
Doucoure
Johnson

Depth
Doorson
Thiam

Redshirt
Harper (grow into a PF)

If Thiam goes from starter to role player we are going dancing!

I don't see how Thiam drops this much. I think you're expecting too much from the freshman.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

Starters
Baker
Sanders
Mathis
Onamuyri
Carter

Strickland
Hyatt
Kiss
Doucoure
Johnson

Depth
Doorson
Thiam

Redshirt
Harper (grow into a PF)
Yeah you can sub out Mathis for kiss on that list of starters..Mathis has work to do on his all around shooting game and kiss has been one of our most impressive players in practice.

So we are 1000-1 to make the NCAAs next year? I'll bet you $10 on RU. Please confirm. $$$$

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT