ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Bullock and Souf Mensah to leave program

Let’s just say that position needs 16 PPG over 40 minutes. If Issa plays 30MPG he needs to average 12 PPG.

His willingness to take 3s actually declined significantly year over year. His quickness getting the shot off and release point went unchanged.

Where I could be wrong is with Freeman (and to a lesser extent Sanders) gone Issa may come out of his shell more. Eugene, Baker and Duke (my guessed 3 leaders if Corey isn’t coming back) have the best chance of getting Issa to play free....think Duncan Robinson.

Will Souf graduate?

Not likely from Rutgers in the immediate future - but it does not appear to be an immediate priority for him at this time.
Disclaimer - we have no idea what kind of student he is & has been at RU - or any where else - and no idea as to how many credits he -on paper - had to earn for a degree. He did arrive on campus in June of 2017 - so maybe he immediately loaded up on classes to get a running start toward his requirements.
But remember he was a transfer - having spent two years at Marshalltown Community College in Iowa ( went there after a year at Canarias Basketball Academy in Spain) - so assume he came in with 60 credits worth of accomplishment from the standpoint of meeting transfer admissions requirements - however after that is put in a big pot and boiled down to show the credits that will count toward the specific requirements of the intended degree - 60 credits can effectively turn into 51 - 48 - 45 or some variation - and the path to graduation then be even longer.

Wish Souf well - he seems equipped to fend for himself - he is 23 years old - soon to be 24 (Born: Jul 20, 1994) he speaks French, Spanish, Arabic and English - he has been surviving "on his own" outside of his home country for 4-5 years now - he has experience - a certain set of skills - and may be well suited to spend a few years in international leagues before he figures out what he wants to do next.

Last edited:
Let’s just say that position needs 16 PPG over 40 minutes. If Issa plays 30MPG he needs to average 12 PPG.

His willingness to take 3s actually declined significantly year over year. His quickness getting the shot off and release point went unchanged.

Where I could be wrong is with Freeman (and to a lesser extent Sanders) gone Issa may come out of his shell more. Eugene, Baker and Duke (my guessed 3 leaders if Corey isn’t coming back) have the best chance of getting Issa to play free....think Duncan Robinson.

I thought about all of this...

As an example, Issa played 29 minutes a game this year and Eugene 21. They both took almost the SAME number of shots. Plus Eugene got to the line 3x to Issa. So, it’s the equivalent to Eugene taking 1/3 more shots in 1/3 less amount of playing time

Part of scoring is having the ability to get off the quality shot. And I don’t see it with Issa. It’s by far his biggest weakness

210 shot attempts in 34 games is 6 shots per game...in 29 minutes. It’s just not enough looks for a wing forward...a spot where you need 17 ppg in 40 minutes to score 70 plus as a team

And I just see it as it’s his skill set that doesn’t allow him to shoot more.

Two guys living in Kenpom.

Every team needs the same amount of points from each position. So, every team in America needs 17 points from that spot.

How about looking into your Kenpom magic ball. Tell us about the other four spot and what every team needs from them because it's always the same.

PG ?
SG ?
PF ?
Center ?

Last edited:
Pikiell will indeed continue to find minutes for Issa because of his defensive capabilities. The number of minutes will depend on his offensive development, and the abilities of the other players on the team to take minutes away from him based on all around better play. Toward the end of the year when he started posting up and taking the ball to the basket, I thought he was coming along. To be more of a three point threat, he will need other pieces around him to keep defenses honest and more confidence to pull the trigger when open. It is probably not realistic to expect him to raise the launch point on his shot.

It will be very interesting to see how we fill these last two slots and if we actually bring in two guys. I would not stretch on a second 4 year guy. Would rather a grad transfer to someone who may need a RS year. This keeps the schollie available for the 2019 class as well.

If we are happy being 3-15 let the same players play in their same roles and hope they magically get better OR realize that what we are doing just is not working. For a P5 team to be were we have been offensively should make people think nothing is right and everything needs to change.

Good shooters don’t lack confidence.
Magically get better? It's called coaching..and we have many different players coming in. To expect the same performance is ignorant.

It's 4 spots that we likely fill in the next 6-8 months regardless of Sanders staying or going. If Sanders returns, (preferred), then we have Sanders and Shaq Doorson for 2019....we have 2 as of now for 2018.

One for Strickland is key because he's a true PG and reduces the exposure of not having Sanders AND reduces the exposure of Mulcahy potentially not coming to RU. Mulcahy can play multiple spots so he would still be Goal #1 for 2019.

Two would be Hyatt/Massoud as the wing, regardless of 2018 or 2019....

Three would be to take another PF, since Shaq Carter Thiam and Eugene will be seniors in 2018-19, so having another PF ready would be ideal in 2019.

The 4th spot can be a guard/Small Forward that can defend.

It's 4 spots that we likely fill in the next 6-8 months regardless of Sanders staying or going. If Sanders returns, (preferred), then we have Sanders and Shaq Doorson for 2019....we have 2 as of now for 2018.

One for Strickland is key because he's a true PG and reduces the exposure of not having Sanders AND reduces the exposure of Mulcahy potentially not coming to RU. Mulcahy can play multiple spots so he would still be Goal #1 for 2019.

Three would be to take another PF, since Shaq Carter Thiam and Eugene will be seniors in 2018-19, so having another PF ready would be ideal in 2019.

If your list of needs gets filled in, how would this look?
1. Tai
2. Mulcahy
3. Hyatt/Massoud
4. Dixon

If Sanders leaves that's 3 open spots this year.

IMO, We should get a Grad Transfer this year so that we have two open spots next year.

Last edited:
Ridiculous statement for many reasons. Athletic success is a priority but so is academic excellence. One can have pride in one's institution for many reasons ,success in athletics and academics are two notable examples. And they aren't mutually exclusive and the Big Ten has multiple examples such as Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois. Even Penn State is a fine academic institution. So is Maryland. And so is and should be Rutgers. Are you even associated with Rutgers as a student , alumni , or whatever?

Listen, I didn't mean to come off as I hope Rutgers academic standing goes down the drain. I was not a student/alumni, I have been attending games since I was 4 years old. I was just saying this fan base harps more on academics than any other power 5 school. It's like if Rutgers fell from 68th (or w.e. they are ranked) to 85th but our athletic success got us to the level of our competition, the fan base would be in an uproar over the loss in academic standing.

Me personally, I don't care how rutgers academics are viewed, I am aware they will always be high, but Im not going to complain if they fell down a notch. That is all

Every team needs the same amount of points from each position. So, every team in America needs 17 points from that spot.

How about looking into your Kenpom magic ball. Tell us about the other four spot and what every team needs from them because it's always the same.

PG ?
SG ?
PF ?
Center ?
Good one.

If your list of needs gets filled in, how would this look?
1. Tai
2. Mulcahy
3. Hyatt/Massoud
4. Dixon

I don't think Dixon is within reach but there are some options there...i would like to emphasize on the wing is where RU falls short on not just shooting but playmaking....i think Kiss/Thiam will be much more competitive than what we've had in recent years, but Hyatt or Massoud with Strickland would be an upgrade....if you then gave me Mulcahy as a mix of guard/forward, there would be enough to match up down the road.

Listen, I didn't mean to come off as I hope Rutgers academic standing goes down the drain. I was not a student/alumni, I have been attending games since I was 4 years old. I was just saying this fan base harps more on academics than any other power 5 school. It's like if Rutgers fell from 68th (or w.e. they are ranked) to 85th but our athletic success got us to the level of our competition, the fan base would be in an uproar over the loss in academic standing.

Me personally, I don't care how rutgers academics are viewed, I am aware they will always be high, but Im not going to complain if they fell down a notch. That is all
Ok , I accept what you say but I do care about Rutgers academics. And I do care about athletic excellence. For many alumni, ( I'm Rutgers College '73) your only connection to the university once you've graduated is through sports. It gives me an opportunity to visit the campus on occasion to see games as well as connect with fellow Rutgers grads. It also gave me something to share with my late dad who was an avid Rutgers fan despite having graduated from NYU. I have two kids -one graduated Vanderbilt and the other Washington University in St Louis. They are both outstanding universities ( top 20 USNWR) yet their connection with their alma mater are very different since one school is SEC and the other a division 3 school.

Thaim and Omoruyi are going into their junior years and I think ( from reading what some have said in past, especially the Rice recruits
when he was HC) the biggest improvement college players have in their game comes in their junior year.
If that's true, Issa should do just fine in the 2018-19 season and Eugene should wow us on a more consistent bases next season.

Reactions: BoxStater

Carter,Thiam and Eugene will be seniors in 2019-20 not 2018-19.

PG ?
SG ?
PF ?
Center ?

Actually ..I don’t use Kenpom

But I know the typical distribution of points per position on the floor

What I wanted to see is if the stars backed up what I saw ..and they typically did

You picking on the wrong guy here

I am NOT rooting against Issa

I just don’t think he is the answer and I would glad to be wrong

You never once saw me criticize a
Single thing he does on the court ...

Just objectivity analyzing what I see ...and based on that, I don’t think he makes the leap that other think will

Hope I’m wrong

I still root for the name on the front of the jersey and whoever gets us there...I am
A fan of

It actually does. Good shooters take open shots. Bad shooters who lack confidence pass them up.

So what is 51% shooting on 2 point FG attempts and 36% on 3 PT FG attempts in your 2nd year ? Bad Shooting ? Poor Shooting?

By the way... Those are Thiam's numbers which proves he just needs to maintain his confidence, be more assertive and shoot more. He needs to be MORE SELFISH !! He just passes up too many shots he should take. Every game I watch, I am screaming at my TV that he needs to take those open shots.

Last edited:
Ok , I accept what you say but I do care about Rutgers academics. And I do care about athletic excellence. For many alumni, ( I'm Rutgers College '73) your only connection to the university once you've graduated is through sports. It gives me an opportunity to visit the campus on occasion to see games as well as connect with fellow Rutgers grads. It also gave me something to share with my late dad who was an avid Rutgers fan despite having graduated from NYU. I have two kids -one graduated Vanderbilt and the other Washington University in St Louis. They are both outstanding universities ( top 20 USNWR) yet their connection with their alma mater are very different since one school is SEC and the other a division 3 school.

Yea I went to William Paterson, I have nothing against anyone who cares deeply about academics at Rutgers, I would just like to see some athletic success, and if that hurts our APR by taking a kid who's not as likely to graduate or something then I don't care. Thats kind of more of what I meant.

Last edited:
Yea I went to William Paterson, I have nothing against anyone who cares deeply about academics at Rutgers, I would just like to see some athletic success, and if that hurts our APR by taking a kid who's not as likely to graduate or something than I don't care. Thats kind of more of what I meant.
When I speak of wanting to do well academically it has nothing to do with APR. As for me, just keep your APR high enough to not get punished by NCAA.

So what is 51% shooting on 2 point FG attempts and 36% on 3 PT FG attempts in your 2nd year ? Bad Shooting ? Poor Shooting?

By the way... Those are Thiam's numbers which proves he just needs to maintain his confidence, be more assertive and shoot more. He needs to be MORE SELFISH !! He just passes up too many shots he should take. Every game I watch, I am screaming at my TV that he needs to take those open shots.

If Thiam took the shots that a normal 3 takes his percentages would be totally different. He is only taking insanely wide open shots. As for 2 point FGs the sample size is so low it shouldn’t be discussed. Should we kill Issa for his bad FT%.....no

Reactions: LotusAggressor
If Thiam took the shots that a normal 3 takes his percentages would be totally different. He is only taking insanely wide open shots. As for 2 point FGs the sample size is so low it shouldn’t be discussed. Should we kill Issa for his bad FT%.....no
He is a 71% FT shooter, 4th best on the team, but given that he is supposed to be a great shooter, this should be 80% or higher.

He is a 71% FT shooter, 4th best on the team, but given that he is supposed to be a great shooter, this should be 80% or higher.

Sorry. I had him 12-19 63.2% for the year. that does NOT include his 5-5 vs community college of NY game. That 5 for 5 moves him from 63.2% to 70.8%.

He did improve his conference FT percentage by a whopping 25%, 75% from 50%. 6-8 vs. 2-4.

The decline almost entirely in OOC play:

OOC 3PA per 40 min:
2016-17: 8.9
2017-18: 4.8 (46% fewer attempts)

Interestingly, even with cutting his 3-point attempts almost in half during OOC play, he still managed to drop his points/40 min from just 12.1 to 11.1.

B1G 3PA per 40 min:
2016-17: 5.2
2017-18: 5.0 (4% fewer attempts)

During conference play, he went from shooting 0.9/5.2 (.184) per 40 min played to shooting 1.6/5.0 (.323). And while he kept his 3-point attempts at roughly the same rate, he increased his scoring from 5.0 to 8.3 per 40.

Completely agree that he needs to look for his shot more, and that he needs to have more offensive output overall - but his willingness to take 3P shots in B1G play didn't really drop off from last year.

Reactions: lilphilw
The decline almost entirely in OOC play:

OOC 3PA per 40 min:
2016-17: 8.9
2017-18: 4.8 (46% fewer attempts)

Interestingly, even with cutting his 3-point attempts almost in half during OOC play, he still managed to drop his points/40 min from just 12.1 to 11.1.

B1G 3PA per 40 min:
2016-17: 5.2
2017-18: 5.0 (4% fewer attempts)

During conference play, he went from shooting 0.9/5.2 (.184) per 40 min played to shooting 1.6/5.0 (.323). And while he kept his 3-point attempts at roughly the same rate, he increased his scoring from 5.0 to 8.3 per 40.

Completely agree that he needs to look for his shot more, and that he needs to have more offensive output overall - but his willingness to take 3P shots in B1G play didn't really drop off from last year.
Greene Rice FIG
Bazinga... what he said.[banana]

I actyually agree with some of what Greene FIG says here!

And I disagree with Shack, by the way.

I believe Thiam has the potential to be a 12-15 ppg scorer, maybe full fruition by his Senior year. I am not sure he WILL achieve that potential, but I believe the potential is there.

I believe he could average around 10 ppg this coming season, his Junior year, even playing fewer minutes ... and that it is important for the RU team to show improvement for him to do so.

Where I agree with Greene FIG is that I believe the departure of Freeman will help RU's offensive flow - and Thiam will be both a beneficiary of this, as well as a trigger, for this potential improvement. I believe we saw flsashes of that in the last few games, when Freeman was not in the game. Thiam spent a few offensive series in the low post, and was effective - both with post moves, but also with passing out of the post. If he can show something out of the post with his height mis-match against guards and WF's, and drive a little (as he did a little bit more in the last few games), really opens up opportunities for OTHER RU players, as well -- both players like Omoruyi cutting down the lane, but also outside shooters, should RU find any of those.

In re Shacks' comments - I love you, man, but I really disagree with you on Thiam:

1) From what I hear, Thiam is NOT going to be passed by Kiss - though Kiss will get some minutes at Thiam's expense.

2) It is true Pikiell stated Thiam would be better suited as a spark off the bench, a reserve. But I am certain he was talking about Thiam at Thiam's current level of development, not necessarily his future ... that at THAT time, on a much better team (i.e. with better players on the team), Thiam would ideally come off the bench. Pikiell also stated in the off season LAST year that ideally, both Omoruyi and Thiam would have red-shirted.

3) Pikiell has ALSO stated that Thiam was RU's best perimeter defender last season. Pikiell has may times stated the players who sow the best defense and rebounding had the best chance of playing. Thiam has made HUGE gains in both defense and rebounding - he is going to play, and will play a good amount of minutes, even with Mathis coming in.

4) If Thiam can continue to average 37% or more from 3-point range, add a little post game, and show more confidence to shoot more ... he WILL play a lot of minutes, in my opinion ... period. I see him averaging 9.5 to 10.5 ppg, and 5 rpg, with solid defense, next season ... though I will admit that is the optimist in me. If he plays fewer than 20 minutes per game next year, that is because Mathis and Kiss are SO good they force Thiam into a reduced role - or Thiam makes few improvements. I suspect neither of those things will happen.

Sorry. I had him 12-19 63.2% for the year. that does NOT include his 5-5 vs community college of NY game. That 5 for 5 moves him from 63.2% to 70.8%.

He did improve his conference FT percentage by a whopping 25%, 75% from 50%. 6-8 vs. 2-4.
So free throws don't count against lesser opponents? I must've missed the memo where our players get to shoot through a larger basket. Idiotic statement, to say the least.

I actyually agree with some of what Greene FIG says here!

And I disagree with Shack, by the way.

I believe Thiam has the potential to be a 12-15 ppg scorer, maybe full fruition by his Senior year. I am not sure he WILL achieve that potential, but I believe the potential is there.

I believe he could average around 10 ppg this coming season, his Junior year, even playing fewer minutes ... and that it is important for the RU team to show improvement for him to do so.

Where I agree with Greene FIG is that I believe the departure of Freeman will help RU's offensive flow - and Thiam will be both a beneficiary of this, as well as a trigger, for this potential improvement. I believe we saw flsashes of that in the last few games, when Freeman was not in the game. Thiam spent a few offensive series in the low post, and was effective - both with post moves, but also with passing out of the post. If he can show something out of the post with his height mis-match against guards and WF's, and drive a little (as he did a little bit more in the last few games), really opens up opportunities for OTHER RU players, as well -- both players like Omoruyi cutting down the lane, but also outside shooters, should RU find any of those.

In re Shacks' comments - I love you, man, but I really disagree with you on Thiam:

1) From what I hear, Thiam is NOT going to be passed by Kiss - though Kiss will get some minutes at Thiam's expense.

2) It is true Pikiell stated Thiam would be better suited as a spark off the bench, a reserve. But I am certain he was talking about Thiam at Thiam's current level of development, not necessarily his future ... that at THAT time, on a much better team (i.e. with better players on the team), Thiam would ideally come off the bench. Pikiell also stated in the off season LAST year that ideally, both Omoruyi and Thiam would have red-shirted.

3) Pikiell has ALSO stated that Thiam was RU's best perimeter defender last season. Pikiell has may times stated the players who sow the best defense and rebounding had the best chance of playing. Thiam has made HUGE gains in both defense and rebounding - he is going to play, and will play a good amount of minutes, even with Mathis coming in.

4) If Thiam can continue to average 37% or more from 3-point range, add a little post game, and show more confidence to shoot more ... he WILL play a lot of minutes, in my opinion ... period. I see him averaging 9.5 to 10.5 ppg, and 5 rpg, with solid defense, next season ... though I will admit that is the optimist in me. If he plays fewer than 20 minutes per game next year, that is because Mathis and Kiss are SO good they force Thiam into a reduced role - or Thiam makes few improvements. I suspect neither of those things will happen.

I agree with everything Jelly said here, especially the part about Thiam's defense almost mandating that he play at least 25 mpg. His perimeter defense is downright suffocating at times due to his length bothering 3-pt shooters, and he is also very quick laterally, so he can keep up with SGs in addition to traditional WFs.

I just hope his potential to be a 12-13 ppg guy verifies at some point, hopefully with about 10-11 ppg this coming season.

Getting carried away here regarding what Issa can do defensively.

He is a willing defender.
He is extremely long.
He knows how to play man to man, cerebral (not a given)

He has trouble getting thru screens (most do)
He doesn't have good lateral quickness and can get beat off dribble by quick opponents

I'd love to see him gain muscle and be able to guard a low post player. If we can get Issa getting half of his minutes as the 4th perimeter player (call it the 4 if you like) then we look a lot better on the offensive end. Can Shaq Carter play the 5 and be a beast on the defensive glass? Is he a shot blocker?

Getting carried away here regarding what Issa can do defensively.

He is a willing defender.
He is extremely long.
He knows how to play man to man, cerebral (not a given)

He has trouble getting thru screens (most do)
He doesn't have good lateral quickness and can get beat off dribble by quick opponents

I'd love to see him gain muscle and be able to guard a low post player. If we can get Issa getting half of his minutes as the 4th perimeter player (call it the 4 if you like) then we look a lot better on the offensive end. Can Shaq Carter play the 5 and be a beast on the defensive glass? Is he a shot blocker?

I felt Issa did a better job getting over screens and staying in front of quick guards than anyone but Sanders. If he had a fault, it was that he helped down too much and was sometimes a step late closing out on shooters.

I think he'd struggle defending the 4, because he doesn't have the body mass to hold his ground and not get backed down in the post.

I think he'd struggle defending the 4, because he doesn't have the body mass to hold his ground and not get backed down in the post.

If he wants to be on a competitive B1G team he needs to offer something more than being a slightly above average defender and someone who can hit at an adequate % completely wide open shots.

If he doesn't make some change this offseason he will lose a lot of minutes OR if he doesn't Kiss, mathis, and Harper Jr. are duds or making slow progress.

Eugene saw the writing on the wall and made a change last offseason. Issa needs to do more.

He is 6'10'' and is a smart player, there is hope. He is a VERY easy guy to root for.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT