ADVERTISEMENT

Mel Tucker to sign 10 Yr $95M Contract

These alumni may have lit a huge pile of money on fire with a contract that looks really bad in two years. I think it will age
poorly.
That's a great way to describe it.

Mel Tucker seems like a good guy (although I took exception to his stealing of 'keep chopping') and I'd rather see MSU do well than Michigan. I'm not actively rooting against him, but this seems like a real reach after one very good season that isn't even over yet.

Reactions: Steve91562
fact MSU has more agressive alumni with deeper pockets..they just received 10M gift to upgrade the football facility...and each football and basketball player gets $500 per month NIL deal...

https://statenews.com/article/2021/...all-facility?ct=content_open&cv=cbox_featured
One of these guys, Ishbia, funding Tucker’s contract also donated 32 million towards a football facility.

Life is good when you have billionaire supporters. I’m assuming these guys got rich being smart, not sure long term coaching contracts for short term results is that though imo.

Tucker should rush to sign this before getting absolutely seal clubbed by 28 on Saturday.
Sure. But we are 20 point dogs and he’s in year 1 of a 4 year rebuild. The covid year last year when he was hired in freaking February and couldn’t have any in person practices doesnt count (still beat UM and top 10 NW).

Whether we lose by 1 or 100 it has no bearing. He’s in a several year rebuild.

Wondering if @cubuffsdoug has an opinion on this. Thought he was not keen on Tucker. While Tucker deserves credit for a great season, IMO that does not justify such a contract or make him a perennial winner. We shall see.
True but MSU has a few billionaire donors now and this is chump change.

For MSU to let a coach go like Tucker who’s 2-0 vs UM and recruiting pretty well would gut our program.
If he fails, the billionaire donors will just buy him out and hire the next guy. That’s how it works.!

That's awesome for Tucker. Congrats to him.

Not understanding everybody's response to this. If it turns out to be a bad business decision for MSU, then that could wind up being a good thing for RU and others in the Big Ten East. At worst, it doesn't affect us at all.

Having let this marinate for a day, I still can't believe it. As others have pointed out, this guy had great success with the transfer portal. Maybe that is the wave of the future on how you build a program but I could see MSU being 7-5 or worse for most of this decade. This is a heckuva gamble.

Counterpoint - if it is privately funded, then God Bless. From a race relations perspective, a black coach getting this kind of money is a good thing.

Having let this marinate for a day, I still can't believe it. As others have pointed out, this guy had great success with the transfer portal. Maybe that is the wave of the future on how you build a program but I could see MSU being 7-5 or worse for most of this decade. This is a heckuva gamble.

Counterpoint - if it is privately funded, then God Bless. From a race relations perspective, a black coach getting this kind of money is a good thing.
True but MSU has a few billionaire donors now and this is chump change.

For MSU to let a coach go like Tucker who’s 2-0 vs UM and recruiting pretty well would gut our program.
If he fails, the billionaire donors will just buy him out and hire the next guy. That’s how it works.!

See Spartan JD's comment above. Beating Michigan 2 years in a row is HUUUUUUGE.

It would be like if Flood or Ash beat Penn State 2 years in a row---maybe (not!) doing so would have build some goodwill?

It's just jealousy, that's all it is. For all the amount of money NJ is awash in, our alumni don't have millions for RU.

That's a Barry Bonilla contract which will come back to haunt them. He's had a nice year but is not that good.

That's awesome for Tucker. Congrats to him.

Not understanding everybody's response to this. If it turns out to be a bad business decision for MSU, then that could wind up being a good thing for RU and others in the Big Ten East. At worst, it doesn't affect us at all.
Best or worst case this is a net negative for Rutgers Football. We do not have the same resources available to compete like this.

It's just jealousy, that's all it is. For all the amount of money NJ is awash in, our alumni don't have millions for RU.
I think that's part of it but for me it's being dumbfounded by unproductive use of resources on that scale. It would be worse if it was the school funding it but even from private sources I'm still dumbfounded by it. I say it repeatedly and it's all schools really, not just MSU.

I have no problems paying big money for big results...Saban or UM or Dabo. Heck, I might even put Kirby Smart in there even though no national championships yet. He's one of the rare instances of firing a fairly consistent successful coach (Richt) actually worked. Smart has taken UGA up to another level.

The amount is one thing but the length is another. If there's a reasonable buyout in there, I could understand a little better who knows if there is. Fisher got the same from A&M but slightly less shocking lol. Very good coach but he got bumped from being in 10yr 75M contract to a refreshed 10 yr contract at 9M a year. I must have missed the years he won the national title at A&M or made the playoffs for that matter or even won a SEC title or the SEC West haha. I don't think he owes A&M any sort of buyout if he left. I don't think he will and he's staunchly come out against any LSU rumors but hypothetically say it happened, he wouldn't owe A&M any buyout for leaving.

I don't blame the coaches or agents one bit, who wouldn't take the money if it's thrown at them. It's the people with the purse strings that do these heavily favored one sided deals I'm confused by, be it the ADs or private donors. What even makes it more confusing is we have history to see how a lot of these one sided deals go and most of the time they don't go well and end up with millions of dollars in buyout money being paid or coaches having to stick around longer than they probably should because it's too expensive to fire them.

Best or worst case this is a net negative for Rutgers Football. We do not have the same resources available to compete like this.
Disagree. The fact that other schools have more resources is nothing new at all. At most it's a net no-change for Rutgers.

If Rutgers cannot compete financially, that's on Rutgers and shouldn't be Mel Tucker's problem, right?

Wondering if @cubuffsdoug has an opinion on this. Thought he was not keen on Tucker. While Tucker deserves credit for a great season, IMO that does not justify such a contract or make him a perennial winner. We shall see.
Let's make one thing clear, I DISLIKE MEL "SNAKE" TUCKER. Now back to your regular routine.

Donor or no donor MSU WILL REGRET THIS DECISION DOWN THE ROAD.

Let's make one thing clear, I DISLIKE MEL "SNAKE" TUCKER. Now back to your regular routine.

Donor or no donor MSU WILL REGRET THIS DECISION DOWN THE ROAD.
I’m guessing the snake stuff is because he rebuffed (sorry had to do it, lol) your buffs.

But, he more than doubled his salary, and now hit the friggen jackpot. Not sure any of us would turn that down.

And no doubt MSU will regret this. It’s insane.

• Haha
Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Schiano can make a lot if he becomes a meme coach, meaning he does not have to win to make a boatload of money. That is what we have now whether you like it or not. Tucker was 2 - 5 last year and now he is close to being a $10M dollar man.

100k is not a lot to spread among an entire staff in the scheme of these contracts, but that's still a dick move. The lower level assistants could have used the extra cash. Happy Holidays, Mel!
Agreed. 100k does not move the needle for Mel. But some of these assistants an extra 10k makes a huge difference. I remember sitting in bonus pool meetings and some high level partners squirreling away an extra 15k for themselves rather than splitting it between a couple back office kids making 30k.

Schiano will get the same money if Rutgers makes the bowl game this year.
Rules of supply and demand say no to this. No other school is going to be offering Schiano big bucks to leave here. That kind of kills his negotiating power.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I have no idea why Tucker draws the wrath and ire of The Rutgers Rivals board, it can’t possibly be because he adopted the word chop for his team?
If you don’t think he can coach that’s fine, but my perception is it goes way beyond that.
Same goes for the guy at Maryland.
Why have these guy become so hated?

Reactions: Plum Street
My motto has always been---If you don't share with your bodyguards (assistants/etc) they're gonna turn their backs when it matters most.

More and more I think that Mel has videos of MSU admins in compromising situations.
Let's look at this:

1. CFB Head Coach - 4 years
2. All time record - 23-20
3. One season with a winning record
4. One bowl game
5. Lifetime record without Kenneth Walker 12-18

All of this comes out to $95,000,000!!!!!!!

What am I missing??? When did this guy become Bear Bryant??

I have no idea why Tucker draws the wrath and ire of The Rutgers Rivals board, it can’t possibly be because he adopted the word chop for his team?
If you don’t think he can coach that’s fine, but my perception is it goes way beyond that.
Same goes for the guy at Maryland.
Why have these guy become so hated?

Locksley because of the cheap shot. Tucker I have no idea.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT