ADVERTISEMENT

MSG-need to schedule a game each year

cig04

Senior
Jan 4, 2006
IMO we need to schedule a game at MSG every year. Wow, the last 3 days were incredible,! Great support from the fan base and media! This will open up our recruiting to a larger base.

Thank you to the Players, coaches, fans and administration for the last 3 days.

It was great watching from out of state.

Scheduling away from home is risky unless its against a name opponent or part of a tournament format that will attract fans.The B1G Tournament was a special circumstance that won't return for many years.Rutgers can't even sellout a 8000 seat RAC and lame excuses are given after every game.Attendance on a sustained basis is driven by winning which then translates in attracting higher level recruits .Its a chain reaction phenomena that has been lacking at Rutgers for decades.Pikiell and staff need to make it happen.

Let's continue to improve the product first. Then we can schedule a marquee OOC game and there will be interest on both sides. I would not assume it will be easy to recreate what you just experienced the last three nights. From a crowd perspective was Wed and even Thursday that strong of an RU turnout. It did sound electric last night for sure. I was wondering what the student turnout was last night?

Let's continue to improve the product first. Then we can schedule a marquee OOC game and there will be interest on both sides. I would not assume it will be easy to recreate what you just experienced the last three nights. From a crowd perspective was Wed and even IThursday that strong of an RU turnout. It did sound electric last night for sure. I was wondering what the student turnout was last night?

I was there We'd/Thurs and thought we had more fans Wednesday. I also thought Indiana had more fans Thursday. We we're pretty loud both nights, especially Wednesday when the opponent did not draw well.

The games at MSG were awesome because Rutgers was making an unexpected run in the nearby Big Ten Tournament, not because the games were at MSG.

Put a regular season Thursday night game there, you'll hear crickets.

Reactions: Rutgers25
Our first NIT in 1967, all games were in the garden. RU won its first 2 games against Utah State and New Mexico. The games were close and the place was rocking. We lost in the semis to Southern Illinois and Walt Frazier. Student tickets had sold out fast and we waited in line all night just to get tickets to watch the game on a large video projection in the barn. You had to be there to understand how the NY/NJ area responds to Winning Rutgers basketball. Please deja vu all over again.

Reactions: Ready to Rumble
Think of the NIT run under Gary Waters. And this is a program where ANY taste of success will bring this hungry fan base out.

There was a time where college twin bills at the Garden were an event. Now with just about every game on TV and top teams not wanting to give up a home game you don't see it except for some early season tourneys.

We played Wisconsin there last year and people complained

The Wisconsin game was a Rutgers HOME game. NO home games to be played away from our home.

A one-and-done OOC game at MSG would be fine. But NO home games at MSG or the Rock or anywhere but the RAC.

You don’t give away home games ever. Tourneys are fine. And good starting times also help on the weekend. Play that Wisconsin game at home we get a W...so to speak.

Reactions: Scarlet83
You don’t give away home games ever. Tourneys are fine. And good starting times also help on the weekend. Play that Wisconsin game at home we get a W...so to speak.

Yes, we learned this lesson with the Wisconsin hoops game and Maryland football game last year. It’s simple. Play home games at home where we have a home court/field advantage.

The Maryland football game was close and we might have lost it if we played away from home.

I would think that the Big 10 would want to approach Hobbs again for RU to play in that hoops/hockey doubleheader. Now I am against it because how can you give up a home game like that. Maybe if they want PSU and RU to play a game there thats fine but maybe PSU home game. To do it again, RU would have to have total control of ticket placement to not screw anyone over and Hobbs would have to make it a big deal for our fans to go.

otherwise the only game I would consider at MSG would be an annual rivalry game with St Johns...maybe as part of Holiday festival where both schools get even amount of tix.....or we can play an annual series with St Johns alternating RAC and MSG.

Playing schools like Fordham and Iona at MSG will not get the fanbase there. RU should try to get in some of these preseason tourneys held at MSG or Barclays or Pru Center...but again they are early in the season and our fanbase is very fickle about getting into hoops that early in the season and travelling.

otherwise the only game I would consider at MSG would be an annual rivalry game with St Johns...maybe as part of Holiday festival where both schools get even amount of tix.....or we can play an annual series with St Johns alternating RAC and MSG.

MSG is basically a home court for SJU so I would not play them in an annual rivalry game there. Even if tickets were distributed equally the crowd would be 80% Johnnies.
Now if you were to Syracuse or UConn...

MSG is basically a home court for SJU so I would not play them in an annual rivalry game there. Even if tickets were distributed equally the crowd would be 80% Johnnies.

Cuse and UConn would bring more fans than SJU, i suppose an annual rivalry game with SJU alternating sites is best

Reactions: bethlehemfan
We played Wisconsin there last year and people complained

A few people here b&)tch and complain about everything.

I brought a bunch of people to the RU-Wisc game at MSG in ‘17 who hadn’t been to a RU game in years. Everyone had a great time. David stern was there . RU football made a recruiting trip out of it. The game was well attended by both fan bases . And it was a lot of fun for everyone there. And tickets were not that expensive at all. I paid $110 for 2 tickets and we were 4 rows up behind the RU bench.

At the end of the day it achieved the following:
Increased exposure for RU
Brought out a whole different contingent of RU people
Players loved it

Last edited:

I brought a bunch of people who hadn’t been to a RU game in years. Everyone had a great time. David stern was there . RU football made a recruiting trip out of it. The game was well attended by both fan bases . And it was a lot of fun for everyone there. And tickets were not that expensive at all. I paid $110 for 2 tickets and we were 4 rows up behind the RU bench.

Players loved it
The Wisky game or one of the three that just happened?

IMO we need to schedule a game at MSG every year. Wow, the last 3 days were incredible,! Great support from the fan base and media! This will open up our recruiting to a larger base.

Great idea, and football should dovetail and play in Yankee Stadium every year as well. :scream:

I brought a bunch of people to the RU-Wisc game at MSG in ‘17 who hadn’t been to a RU game in years. Everyone had a great time. David stern was there . RU football made a recruiting trip out of it. The game was well attended by both fan bases . And it was a lot of fun for everyone there. And tickets were not that expensive at all. I paid $110 for 2 tickets and we were 4 rows up behind the RU bench.

Players loved it

WE LOST! WE WIN AT THE RAC!

WE LOST! WE WIN AT THE RAC!

Eh Maybe. Doubtful it was a difference. Can’t say for sure. They blew that game at the free throw line. It wasn’t lack of energy or defense or momentum (all of which typically improve with home court advantage)

And the point of this thread is that Rutgers can get a home court advtage type of atmosphere at MSG . And those there and watched this weekend would agree

Eh Maybe. Doubtful it was a difference. Can’t say for sure. They blew that game at the free throw line. It wasn’t lack of energy or defense or momentum (all of which typically improve with home court advantage)

And the point of this thread is that Rutgers can get a home court advtage type of atmosphere at MSG . And those there and watched this weekend would agree

That's not the point of the thread at all! The need to schedule a game a year at the Garden? That's the point of the thread. You do not give up a home game. Tourneys are very nice and we have shown we can be a great tourney team at the Garden. Neutral site I'm good. No giving up home games.

We win Wiscy at home. Momentum does change. We go up 12 instead of 8. We get a call at home you may not get at a neutral site. Attendance for WIscy was 8,500 in a 20,000 seat arena. Sold out RAC still better.

I was there We'd/Thurs and thought we had more fans Wednesday. I also thought Indiana had more fans Thursday. We we're pretty loud both nights, especially Wednesday when the opponent did not draw well.

Disagree on Thursday - thought it was at least 60-40 RU fans. Count me in as wanting to play at least one marquee game (OOC or B1G) there a year, preferably on a Saturday night.

If we had beaten Purdue, I hate to say it but tonight's game would have been the best Rutgers basketball atmosphere ever. Oh well.

RU played NYU (Mal Graham) in the mid 60's (we won).

Think this is a GREAT IDEA. It gives us JUICE, BUZZ, ATTENTION / if we can capture the hearts / minds of the non Rutgers Alums ....and help convince a recruit of the opportunity of being S E E N .....we may be able to move up the charts with a bullet.

MO
PS How many bodies are in the seats at the RAC....3,000 - 7000 this year. Last 3 games 13 -15K...and MSG / NYC attention (Empire State Red again for 3rd day)!

Last edited:
How about if we were involved in the cancer doubleheader at MSG. I think that usually involves four pretty good teams. That could pair us off with a big name team and I think it is for the Jimmy Valvano fund

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
If we had beaten Purdue, I hate to say it but tonight's game would have been the best Rutgers basketball atmosphere ever. Oh well.

lol it woudnt have topped some games from the 76 season at the Barn and the A10 tourney final in 89 at the RAC but it would have been the top moment in 27 years.

How about if we were involved in the cancer doubleheader at MSG. I think that usually involves four pretty good teams. That could pair us off with a big name team and I think it is for the Jimmy Valvano fund
Pikiell has said once we get rolling, high-profile in-season tourneys will be a part of scheduling.

That may be true today but backbone the 70s RU outdrew St. John’s at msg. Beaver Smith vs Phil Sellers were classics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT