ADVERTISEMENT

Mulcahy

I disagree. I think the team is sometimes more under control when he is in the game. He has got some skills. The team is 0-9 shooting threes, that is the problem.

But you are right when you say he refuses to shoot. He must be more aggressive when it come to shooting the rock. If he does not start to be a threat on offense he will be sitting on the bench.

I know he will grow and is going to be a very good player for us for the next 3 years but he is not now he was out there way to long in the second half and if you took note the comeback started when he took him out and put McConnell in

Ti be fair, there were some saying he was a day 1 starter and even several weeks ago many said he should be on the court to end games.

With that said, he needs to spend the off season taking 500 shoots per day.

Ti be fair, there were some saying he was a day 1 starter and even several weeks ago many said he should be on the court to end games.

we can all debate why someone is not a good shooter. Can anyone with decent coordination with practice become a good shooter?

I am not sure where I stand here with that one,

paul has been exactly what I expected and he is something we desperately needed last year.

I’m more concerned with his defense. He is slow of foot and lacks lateral quickness, so he gets beaten off the dribble repeatedly.

Reactions: runner3283
But his poor shooting is why RU got him in the first place!! If he was a 42% 3-point shooter in HS instead of 22% he would have been a consensus Top 50 kid in America and gone to Duke. It's the truth.

He’s a freshman. You expect too much. You’ll hate to see him go in 3 years.

The problem is Pike expects too much from him.

Hopefully Pike goes to the bench less and less. Stuck with the last 5 for the last 12 minutes straight so maybe he will.

He has lots of positives, and size. Glad he’s at Rutgers. He is unselfish to a fault. Coach will find ways to get the best out of him. Once we find some shooters, Mulcahy’s ball skills will be more obvious. The best part ... he’s a Jersey guy who stayed home. Thank you Ron Harper, too.

I went to school at RU when John Battle was a freshman. I can imagine if the internet was around then people would have wrote that he sucked when he scored 2 points a game. Lasted 9 years or so in NBA. Give Paul a chance.

I’m more concerned with his defense. He is slow of foot and lacks lateral quickness, so he gets beaten off the dribble repeatedly.

I mentioned this as well during the summer. It did not take a genius to know he would have issues as a perimeter defender. I to was called a Mulcahy hater for bringing it up.

He still does....right guys?
more than ever.. but PM's minutes keeps other players fresh. Granted this was maybe his worst game.. but he needs players who will take a pass and then score. If he works the ball where he can dish.. then he'd done his job.

I've seen him have great games where he barely shoots. We have all seen them. I think maybe his mistakes are just more visible because we expect a lot out of him and he is easy to spot. I don't think his number of mistakes is above average of anyone else.

We need to give time this year because we have at least 3 freshman next year so he needs as much seasoning
as possible for the rest of the year.

Don't like the freshman excuse in February. Boo Buie looked pretty damn good for only being a true freshman. Mulcahy was more highly rated as a recruit, too.

Reactions: winfield102
Your first 100 anti-Paul posts established your position. Time to climb down off the kid’s back.

Haha, if he's a real dentist seems more like up his ass like a root canal.
He's done good things and bad things and pike is handling.
These relentless attacks in threads and now special call outs need to stop.
Like he's the only one making mistakes.

Reactions: FastMJ and ChasRC69
I went to school at RU when John Battle was a freshman. I can imagine if the internet was around then people would have wrote that he sucked when he scored 2 points a game. Lasted 9 years or so in NBA. Give Paul a chance.
I stated he is going to be very very good the next 3 years but he is not ready and got killed on defense as when he came in in the first half his man scored 8 points off of him in about 2 minutes

He needs some film time to start recognizing when he can take the 10' shot in the middle of the zone. Several times tonight, it looked like the D was playing off of him even in the paint and he was anticipating an opening for a pass down low that wasn't there. As he learns that, his contribution on offense will take another huge leap. Long term, he is a very high ceiling guy IMO.

I don't get it, it's not like he's getting thirty minutes a game or taking minutes away from other people. He's played a little more first because of Geo now because of Young.

Pike decides who plays and how much. Write to him instead of assassinating a frosh on this board.
This. It’s Pike’s call. What’s the kid supposed to do, say, “Coach, I think I’ll sit this one out”? If Paul is hurting us and Pike keeps playing him, then criticize the coach, not the player.

Btw, I’ve mentioned this before but it bears repeating, that one of Pike’s best qualities is his patience with players. Give them time to find their game.

He obviously sees something in practice and when a guy hustles he gives them a chance to contribute. He did it with Caleb last year, JY this year, and even Geo this year, especially after his injury. He knows what he’s doing, including with Paul, and his moves will pay longterm dividends.

LOL! Anything you get from almost every freshman is gravy. Kid has played with confidence and calm most of the year. Battles for boards and has turned the momentum in more than one game this year coming off the bench. Has more balls than most of the players on this team. You want to point out problems there are a lot of other guys on the team you can start with first.

He will be in the gym in the off season and will be a breast next year. There is a lot of talent coming in that should help with scoring. But, this team is going to surprise teams during the big dance. The B1G team are aware of our defense and we stall can lock them down. During the tournament, they will not be ready.

Reactions: RUHouston
we can all debate why someone is not a good shooter. Can anyone with decent coordination with practice become a good shooter?

I am not sure where I stand here with that one,

paul has been exactly what I expected and he is something we desperately needed last year.

If he was awkward or had poor shooting form I would say it would be harder for him to improve. But that's not the case. He has good form and is very coordinated. I think he improves if he puts the work it.

Reactions: Scarlet83
He is such a liability now refuses to shoot the ball on offense and just getting burnt on defense his guy scored 8 points in about 2 minutes. He is just not ready for the BIG

Please not this again. Have you ever played or coached basketball?!

Reactions: TRU2RU
He is such a liability now refuses to shoot the ball on offense and just getting burnt on defense his guy scored 8 points in about 2 minutes. He is just not ready for the BIG
The kid is going to be fine. He's learning on the job. He's an excellent passer and runs the offense pretty well. He has yet to learn that when he has an open look, he takes it. I sometimes find myself screaming at the TV, "Paul take the dam shot!" at least three to four times a game. He'll get there. And yes, his defense sometimes is very questionable, but I still believe he's going to be a good one for us.

Reactions: FastMJ and satnom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT