ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts

gef21

All Conference
Jan 25, 2005
1. Kyle M is damn good. He makes our team so much better.
2. Antwan R is going to be very good, he is 2b RB right now. If he can prove he can pass protect well he is my 2A
3. Our OL is better but we have some issues with speed rush ends.
4. Athan K is better than GW, but he still worries me at times. They are giving him a longer leash and he makes some questionable throws. That being said he is hitting things we could not last year. I think he is a B/B+ QB in the end (which is all we need).
5. The passing game is much better. Dymere M is as advertised. He creates separation, runs good routes (he is better underneath than I expected), and gets YAC. Chris Long is coming back into where I hoped he would be last year. The two of them are a good combo.
6. IS has to catch more than curls at this point.
7. Want to see some underneath stuff to Chiristian D when he is healthy.
8. Kenny F is having a solid B start as a TE. He is making plays, blocking decently, but he is making teams respect him. We still do not have a post up TE or WR in the middle of the field.
9. We badly miss Tyreem P on defense.
10. We badly miss Wesley B on defense.
11. Damn shame we lost MT for the season. This defense right now has 1.5 LBs. Once TP is back I think we have two good LBs. The rest struggle with gap recognition.
12. We have had 3 huge glaring Blitz/coverage mistakes in the last two games. The two today were the WR wide open and the TE running up the seam. Both were on blitzes and both were miscommunications in the coverage. On the TD both the safety and CB blitzed, zero shot both were supposed to. On the TE seam route the LB passed off the out route but didnt get eyes back inside.

This team has a shot, like 2006. But unlike 2006 we do not have our Devraun Thompson yet. We need our LBs to be our attitude setter and missing MT and TP is killing us right now.

Bonus. We kick off, punt, kick FGs, and snap the ball well.

Last edited:
2. Antwan R is going to be very good, he is 2b RB right now. If he can prove he can pass protect well he is my 2A
4. Athan K is better than GW, but he still worries me at times. They are giving him a longer leash and he makes some questionable throws. That being said he is hitting things we could not last year. I think he is a B/B+ QB in the end (which is all we need).
5. The passing game is much better. Dymere M is as advertised. He creates separation, runs good routes (he is better underneath than I expected), and gets YAC. Chris Long is coming back into where I hoped he would be last year. The two of them are a good combo.
8. Kenny F is having a solid B start as a TE. He is making plays, blocking decently, but he is making teams respect him. We still do not have a post up TE or WR in the middle of the field.
11. Damn shame we lost MT for the season. This defense right now has 1.5 LBs. Once TP is back I think we have two good LBs. The rest struggle with gap recognition.
12. We have had 3 huge glaring Blitz/coverage mistakes in the last two games. The two today were the WR wide open and the TE running up the seam. Both were on blitzes and both were miscommunications in the coverage. On the TD both the safety and CB blitzed, zero shot both were supposed to. On the TE seam route the LB passed off the out route but didnt get eyes back inside.

This team has a shot, like 2006. But unlike 2006 we do not have our Devraun Thompson yet. We need our LBs to be our attitude setter and missing MT and TP is killing us right now.

Solid summary. I got all the initials but I struggled with IS. I'm just glad @yesrutgers01 did not write the summary with initials!

Reactions: yesrutgers01

From here on out we're gonna need 9. and 10.

Can't argue with your thoughts. Good post.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Ohio St was wrecking opponents in 2014.
That was because their OL and Zeke Elliot were like a machine.
Bama and Oregon players were going to the hospital nevermind the tent.
When good and large OL are a machine with a good RB they can be scary.
Akron had some good secondary players but when OL is steamrolling DLs/LBs the secondary takes a beating

Remember Eli Apple and Tyron Smith - that was hard to watch - and Smith was being nice!

4jWPbX1.gif

Decent assessment.

I would debate your QB assessment of B/B+. I think our bar has just been too low. We’re seeing C+ play right now. We’ve just had D grading at QB the last few years before.

Agree that the defense doesn’t seem to be as special as hyped in preseason. And it’s the missing LBs for sure.
You are probably right. And he was a lucky deflection from having a very different stat line.

We have gotten used to subpar QB play, subpar WR play, and subpar TE play.

1st half QB play was a D until the 2 minute drill, which was great. We were lucky on the Duff TD for sure. 2nd half B+ or better. He doesn't have to win games on his own. The bomb to Long was perfect, and now teams will have to respect that we can make that throw.
Literally a tale of two halves for the passing game. And it’s not all on AK. I think improved pass protection from the line helped AK settle down in the second half. Of course, the WRs stepped up.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
AK had a rough start. That deflection for a TD was just how Schiano drew it up😅 But he looked like a great QB the second half, the long pass for a TD was sweet. I think he with improve with every game.

Reactions: RU-05
Literally a tale of two halves for the passing game. And it’s not all on AK. I think improved pass protection from the line helped AK settle down in the second half. Of course, the WRs stepped up.
Gonna disagree.. AK seemed to panic a bit where he could have side-stepped a rusher and either ran the ball or stepped up to throw to an outlet. I think he needs to keep the ball and take it outside a few times to get in that zone he needs to be in... get up to game speed faster.

Reactions: RUSK97
Gonna disagree.. AK seemed to panic a bit where he could have side-stepped a rusher and either ran the ball or stepped up to throw to an outlet. I think he needs to keep the ball and take it outside a few times to get in that zone he needs to be in... get up to game speed faster.
I have really liked the designed level roll outs with him. I almost think its an RPO with KF coming across the formation and the read hand off to KM. If the ball is pulled Athan rolls reading the OLB to either throw the ball to KF or turn up. We have scored twice off of it and had a third big gain.

Reactions: redking and Kbee3

He has a decent arm but when under pressure and falling back he can just chuck the ball downfield blindly.

Bad Nova was in a league of his own. How many passes beyond the line of scrimmage.

What did you think about the long pass attempt to Strong in the end zone? Look like good defense but it just didn't seem like Strong fought to go get that ball.

Bad Nova was in a league of his own. How many passes beyond the line of scrimmage.

What did you think about the long pass attempt to Strong in the end zone? Look like good defense but it just didn't seem like Strong fought to go get that ball.
I thought the placement need to be back shoulder, and AK put it inside. That being said Strong does not use his size except on curls. I'm still thinking he could become a TE in his time here.

Hopefully Greg is protecting Bailey and Powell so they will be near 100% for VT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT