ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball NCAA statement regarding Coronavirus (NO FANS)

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
ES2vsQyUYAEJYVI

Last edited:
Beyond the games...people earn a living by working these events. If all sports events are played with no fans we are just scratching the surface of a full out economic collapse

How will people earn a living.

Security...concession workers...all of the day to day little guy...thousands of venues around the country..soon movies theaters and then supermarkets..you cant put the genie back in the bottle

Works to our advantage - everyone, including the Blue Bloods, are now in an environment that is foreign to them. Advantage RU. Remember, the 3 pt line was moved back this season as well. Advantage RU. Combine the two - if Blue Blood team hits a few 3's not as much buzz to get RU down - they can stay focused and Keep Chopping on the boards. I predict Sweet 16 for RU and then Virus dies down and fans come back.

Reactions: ScarletNut
Beyond the games...people earn a living by working these events. If all sports events are played with no fans we are just scratching the surface of a full out economic collapse

Security...concession workers...all of the day to day little guy...thousands of venues around the country..soon movies theaters and then supermarkets..you cant put the genie back in the bottle

Agreed but this is necessary to control the spread and slow down the impact on our healthcare systems.

Why doesn't the federal government just shut down the USA for 2 weeks. Cancel everything. National Troops on the streets to enforce a 100% ban on movement. 7 day warning period to get your food in advance by lottery, or some odd even thing like the gas days.

100% stay home. Burn it out, move on. (Yes I'm not serious only cause it couldn't or wouldn't happen )

This is insanity. How does anything recover anytime soon from this?

Anybody still have an underground shelter stocked? And folks laugh at the doomsday peppers.

Crap.

I get it, but it sucks for the players and fans. At least I don't have to justify to others why I would risk going (especially if it was in Albany).

Why doesn't the federal government just shut down the USA for 2 weeks. Cancel everything. National Troops on the streets to enforce a 100% ban on movement. 7 day warning period to get your food in advance by lottery, or some odd even thing like the gas days.

100% stay home. Burn it out, move on. (Yes I'm not serious only cause it couldn't or wouldn't happen )

Anybody still have an underground shelter stocked? And folks laugh at the doomsday peppers.

Thats what is going to happen..they just dont want to say it until they announce..its coming..stock up now

Can they not just postpone everything? Like freeze “time” for a month, no public events or anything. Everyone stays home and reads or watches Netflix. Then April 1sr or May 1st becomes the “new” March 1st and everything starts again and squishes things together

I wonder how much the essential attendance will end up being. I feel like as long as there are a few hundred people there to at least applaud for baskets it won't be TOO weird.

Reactions: BillyC80
FYI,. BK Please inform the MBB team that I an can be an Uncle for Hire for the final four when we make it to ATL.

I'm having a hard time purging the selfish thoughts, can my 82 year old die hard RU lifelong fan adopt someone on the team and get in?

I wonder how much the essential attendance will end up being. I feel like as long as there are a few hundred people there to at least applaud for baskets it won't be TOO weird.

Well probably school officials, people involved with television broadcast, ncaa reps, and anyone else who is involved with the game.

Cancel all taxes!

Cant image what its like playing games like this in empty arenas where you can hear echoes instead of fans cheering. Very strange.
It'll be sterile and emotionless. There's no crowd to play to. Crowds help momentum, what's a dunk without the Ohhh's and Ahhh's? Just a dunk. It'll be like playing in a cavern, the screeching of the sneakers, the bouncing of the ball, the yelling of plays will be echoing through out.

Last edited:
Phooey. I keep interpreting every little leak saying Corona has imminent and now open sickness. Terrible. Rutgers is now getting every ripoff

Thats what is going to happen..they just dont want to say it until they announce..its coming..stock up now

Should have seen the Flemington Costco this morning.
Every register 7+ carts deep full of water and toilet paper ( had a limit posted at the door) ..carts over flowing.

I was there buying a bag of dog food , some eggs, and some flower bulbs my wife wanted. It was comical.
I just don't care as long as the local liquor store doesn't shut down.

Reactions: davidcb11
Hoping they find a way to bring some noise and excitement into the arena.

It was inevitable after the choices made in the last several days. Not surprised and I certainly understand the necessity of slowing down the spread of the virus to flatten the peak of cases.

But man, this sucks. I've waited three decades for this. I've been making deals with myself about what I can accept and as long as I can watch on TV and it isn't cancelled I decided I'd be ok. We can do this.

Hoping they find a way to bring some noise and excitement into the arena.
I hope they don’t...I hope it is the utter failure it is shaping up to be...bored players, listless coaches, no emotion and bored announcers.

Reactions: Rutgers56

so lets start the list of impact

Hospitality: Hotels, cruise, airlines, restaurants down
Sports: venue staff down
Food service down
Shipping Cargo down,
oil tankers (up as floating storage for excess oil)
Oil and gas down
Private jets up
Retail down

others?

It'll be sterile and emotionless. There's no crowd to play to. Crowds help momentum, what's a dunk without the Ohhh's and Ahhh's? Just a dunk. It'll be like playing in a cavern, the scretching of the sneakers, the bouncing of the ball, the yelling of plays will be echoing through an empty arena.

It'll be like summer league high school hoops. After the 1st minute or two of "this sucks" you play every bit as hard as you would otherwise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT