ADVERTISEMENT

New Bubble Next Year?

Rutgers will end up regretting this decision to get rid of the yellow lot for a football facility and most of the blue lot for a LAX stadium, because they will significantly hurt the fan and game day experience, and ultimately lose season ticketholders.
This is what will happen, then Schiano will bitch about fan attendance. Tailgate is all these people have had to cling too for over a decade now. This isn't Wisconsin where you're walking two miles to see a B1G West contender. The AD will call these fans spoiled and then wonder in amazement why his season ticket sales are plummeting.

Good luck getting people in Yellow or Blue to donate to their own detriment. For me, I'll just go back to the RAC and stop donating what extra I need to qualify for Yellow. Don't have enough points to qualify so our ticket rep calculated how much each year extra we need to give to get the extra points.

Reactions: Jimpeg
This is what will happen, then Schiano will bitch about fan attendance. Tailgate is all these people have had to cling too for over a decade now. This isn't Wisconsin where you're walking two miles to see a B1G West contender. The AD will call these fans spoiled and then wonder in amazement why his season ticket sales are plummeting. Good luck getting people in Yellow or Blue to donate to their own detriment.
😉

looking back.. the visitor center is out of place and should have been on Livingston, Rodkin center should have been on blue lot, and also use part of Rodkin for amenities to serve separate soccer and lacrosse fields...

alternatively, the soccer and lacrosse fields should be parallel to each other with stands in the middle of the fields; back to back facing in both directions to each field with shared amenities...this concept was discussed with separate baseball and softball fields with common amenities behind each field....

Sometimes the simplest
answer is the correct one.
This absolutely.
Best logistically located facility for the players and staff.
Build the Practice complex on top of a 2 or 3 story parking structure { partially under ground} where the tennis courts/Hale Center parking is. Might be a short term inconvenience during the construction for our high heeled Club donors but it’s a great option IMO.

This is what will happen, then Schiano will bitch about fan attendance. Tailgate is all these people have had to cling too for over a decade now. This isn't Wisconsin where you're walking two miles to see a B1G West contender. The AD will call these fans spoiled and then wonder in amazement why his season ticket sales are plummeting.

Good luck getting people in Yellow or Blue to donate to their own detriment. For me, I'll just go back to the RAC and stop donating what extra I need to qualify for Yellow. Don't have enough points to qualify so our ticket rep calculated how much each year extra we need to give to get the extra points.

I think all of this is precisely correct. I also think there's another looming attendance crisis that's going to be get surfaced if this stunt gets pulled off.

I was talking to a guy in my section yesterday who I've known since the stadium opened in '94. Back then, we had 6 tickets. He had 12. Now we each have 2 and are talking about the end being in sight. It makes me wonder how the average seat count per account holder compares to 30 years ago, and 20, and 10, etc.

If that number is trending downward, as I strongly suspect it is, then each legacy account that the program loses will require some number of replacement accounts greater than 1, just to maintain current attendance.

I don't think that's realistic, all things considered.

Reactions: koleszar
I think all of this is precisely correct. I also think there's another looming attendance crisis that's going to be get surfaced if this stunt gets pulled off.

I was talking to a guy in my section yesterday who I've known since the stadium opened in '94. Back then, we had 6 tickets. He had 12. Now we each have 2 and are talking about the end being in sight. It makes me wonder how the average seat count per account holder compares to 30 years ago, and 20, and 10, etc.

If that number is trending downward, as I strongly suspect it is, then each legacy account that the program loses will require some number of replacement accounts greater than 1, just to maintain current attendance.

I'm pretty sure Rutgers is thinking long term with these facilities upgrades. Maybe by having a better team and attracting more younger fans who won't get bothered by something minor like this. See the wood for the trees here.

Season tickets are also not trending downwards. Maybe less boomers?

This is true.

I've (formally) hosted tailgate visitors from both Arkansas and Indiana, after having attended games there and partied with these same people, who were welcoming strangers at the time.

All of them have come away from their Yellow Lot experience saying that it's the best they've ever seen.

We're in agreement, this is an experience that has to be preserved. There's too much collateral damage (for example, has anyone stopped to think that getting rid of the Yellow Lot and lining that side of SK Way with buildings will completely and irrevocably destroy both the "Boardwalk" and the Scarlet Walk?).

I went from 10 tickets down to 6 within the past 5yrs which is pretty sad actually. I just ate way too many tickets in the hope I bought extras just to bring friends with me to have a good experience(at in tailgating). I see my 6 remaining unless an unfortunate circumstance happens like removing the yellow lot. Along with that will be my 5 figure yearly donation.

I went from 10 tickets down to 6 within the past 5yrs which is pretty sad actually. I just ate way too many tickets in the hope I bought extras just to bring friends with me to have a good experience(at in tailgating). I see my 6 remaining unless an unfortunate circumstance happens like removing the yellow lot. Along with that will be my 5 figure yearly donation.
So if Schiano has them back as an annual bowl team you're just not going to support them because they upgraded their facilities to compete with other programs and you were inconvenienced?

Rutgers will end up regretting this decision to get rid of the yellow lot for a football facility and most of the blue lot for a LAX stadium, because they will significantly hurt the fan and game day experience, and ultimately lose season ticketholders. The scarlet walk will be much emptier, as fewer people want to walk from purple and black or take a shuttle from the RAC just for that. Heck, yesterday I stood there for 30 mins while they were late but gave up before they came to go back to tailgate in yellow. We have 1 of the best tailgating scenes, but egos, ignorance, and poor master planning seems to be ready to kill it. While I agree both facilities are needed, better master planning is needed to locate these elsewhere and not alienate fans. Thinking winning cures all is a fallacy, as winning doesn't last forever, and we've had attendance issues for a long time and always will be up and down in this market and conference.

The better location is to build the new football facility on the current Hale Center, brown lot and tennis courts (and clear some of the trees adjacent to that area). Phase 1, build locker rooms under the recruiting lounge to use temporarily for 1 season while they build the new facility. Phase 2, knock down the Hale Center and relocate the football offices and rooms to the Rodkin temporarily for 1 year. Other sports may need to relocate from Rodkin temporarily as well for a year. I don't think using the golf course holes 4 and 5 along Fitch Rd will be an adequate replacement for yellow and blue.

Unfortunately, the best location for the LAX stadium is on the blue lot, if they want it closest to the Rodkin, but they could instead build it on the intramural fields and relocate those.

The giant Werblin front lawn should be used for tailgating.
This

If we lost the yellow lot it’s hard to imagine driving my RV from NH for every home game as I have done for 20 years.

If true this decision is the definition of Rutgers cutting off its nose to spite its face.

The tennis courts area is the perfect location for a new facility.

So if Schiano has them back as an annual bowl team you're just not going to support them because they upgraded their facilities to compete with other programs and you were inconvenienced?

Are you generally prone to subjecting yourself to inconvenient leisure activities?

We're obviously not talking about everyone, here. What we ARE talking about are the people who, right now, are paying a lot of the bills for Greg.

Nor are we suggesting that if we take our money and go buy sailing yachts that no one will ever go to a Rutgers game, ever again. But we don't care about those people. We don't necessarily want to see the program collapse - we're just saying that, after all the decades of shoveling money into a black hole it might be time to do something else.

They should repurpose the bubble into an indoor tennis facility along with some indoor practice space for other teams. That opens up the space to build the practice facility in the tan lot/current tennis area.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Are you generally prone to subjecting yourself to inconvenient leisure activities?

We're obviously not talking about everyone, here. What we ARE talking about are the people who, right now, are paying a lot of the bills for Greg.

Nor are we suggesting that if we take our money and go buy sailing yachts that no one will ever go to a Rutgers game, ever again. But we don't care about those people. We don't necessarily want to see the program collapse - we're just saying that, after all the decades of shoveling money into a black hole it might be time to do something else.
I thought the Scarlet Lot had all the big time donors? Also how do you know they don't have yellow lot tailgaters in mind? Maybe they're thinking of something else?

I thought the Scarlet Lot had all the big time donors? Also how do you know they don't have yellow lot tailgaters in mind? Maybe they're thinking of something else?

They're not thinking of something else.

And yes, the donation levels for the Scarlet Lot are higher. The Yellow Lot has more cars.

You can actually do the math. 2000 vehicles x ($1k (minimum) donation + $360 parking fees) = $2,720,000.00.

I don't know what the math of the White Lot is. What I do know is that if you eliminate both lots, you're eliminating probably about $4M/yr in revenue, assuming everyone stays and / or all remaining lots are filled.

This is for the sake of a $150M building project, conducted for sake of a program that had a 2022 budget of $118M, operating at a $70M/yr loss.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Are you saying there are 2000 cars in the Yellow Lot? Seems high.
I thought the total parking capacity on the entire Busch Campus is 5,000 cars…

If we lost the yellow lot it’s hard to imagine driving my RV from NH for every home game as I have done for 20 years.

If true this decision is the definition of Rutgers cutting off its nose to spite its face.

The tennis courts area is the perfect location for a new facility.
Exactly..no one would go to the boardwalk or scarlet walk. Might as well eliminate those as well. Would just be a poor decision by admin
People really going to drop their tickets because of a lot potentially being replaced? Yikes.
Absolutely! Gameday experience is very important to many and our in the field product isn’t exactly lighting it up

Reactions: RUScrew85
Not that this would ever happen knowing Rutgers..... Open up the golf course for tailgating like Michigan does. Park in the rough. The school's course and also the private club both next to the stadium have tailgating on the courses in Ann Arbor.

Are you saying there are 2000 cars in the Yellow Lot? Seems high.
I thought the total parking capacity on the entire Busch Campus is 5,000 cars…
Below are the # of spaces offered in each lot for the 2022 season. And white had 31 spots this season. If I'm off, someone correct me.

LotSpaces
Scarlet468
Green319
Yellow687
Blue1,199
Purple713
Black753
Silver666
Light Blue700
Tan210
RAC4,072

Reactions: satnom and redking
Below are the # of spaces offered in each lot for the 2022 season. And white had 31 spots this season. If I'm off, someone correct me.

LotSpaces
Scarlet468
Green319
Yellow687
Blue1,199
Purple713
Black753
Silver666
Light Blue700
Tan210
RAC4,072
I don’t see Brown on your list?

I’m wondering the feasibility of building a parking garage that during the week could be utilized for students and faculty and weekend for athletic events..costs vary but around 35k per space so possibly a 200-400 spaces were the alley used to be that is close to the dorms and also the sports facilities..this would also solve for lack of close parking to the stadium for walking..

This would also encourage tailgating by werbkin

Also the back part of the blue lot were you enter could be a 3-4 story Parking garage that would also serve the soccer facility games and is close enough to education facilities across the street..

I’m wondering the feasibility of building a parking garage that during the week could be utilized for students and faculty and weekend for athletic events..costs vary but around 35k per space so possibly a 200-400 spaces were the alley used to be that is close to the dorms and also the sports facilities..this would also solve for lack of close parking to the stadium for walking..

This would also encourage tailgating by werbkin

Also the back part of the blue lot were you enter could be a 3-4 story Parking garage that would also serve the soccer facility games and is close enough to education facilities across the street..
It’s not the parking, it’s the tailgate.

I don’t see Brown on your list?
There isn't an option to purchase brown on the parking website, since it's included with your club tickets, so I don't know the number of spaces. But, looking at the satellite image on Google maps, it's ~250 spaces (~150 in front of Hale and 100 on the old tennis courts (between Battaglia and new tennis courts)). After accounting for staff/facilities parking, it's probably less, like 150-200.

Does anyone think that other campuses had close in stadium parking before they built what is now next to the stadium?

You have at least conservatively 20 percent of people who park in yellow/blue and don’t tailgate at their car or walk to congregate in another lot.. this would benefit those people that are pushed out if yellow/blue lot are impacted…

Also a lot of schools have tailgating is to park and walk to picnic area (ie grove) so this would be an alternative to majority that park and open their own tailgate…

No easy solution but you are constrained with building more facilities close to stadium and alot of fans don’t want to walk very far…

The plans are new / most recent.

And I agree with you that it's a boondoggle. We've heard repeatedly that the recruiting focus on facilities is no longer what it was, that recruits are now focused on $$.

It seems that RU is always a step behind.

The cynic in me says that this is a lot (or all) on Greg - this is his last hurrah and he wants to build this massive, insane facility as a monument to himself.
Agree. I only if wonder his massive statue in front will include a crown or have leaf laurels like Caesar wore.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RU4Real
Exactly..no one would go to the boardwalk or scarlet walk. Might as well eliminate those as well. Would just be a poor decision by admin

Absolutely! Gameday experience is very important to many and our in the field product isn’t exactly lighting it up
Ruin the game day experience… that’s the RU way.

Don’t think so… we all like new shiny things and we better understand that is what we asked for being in this conference.I have a feeling Rutgers will do something for the fans impacted by a new facility. Just needs to be pushed by ticket holders . As for donors and donations that too is part of the college football world.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
You have at least conservatively 20 percent of people who park in yellow/blue and don’t tailgate at their car or walk to congregate in another lot... this would benefit those people that are pushed out if yellow/blue lot are impacted…

Also, a lot of schools have tailgating is to park and walk to picnic area (ie. grove) so this would be an alternative to majority that park and open their own tailgate…

No easy solution but you are constrained with building more facilities close to stadium and a lot of fans don’t want to walk very far…
This idea (along with different spots to put it) was suggested many times over the years but was rebuffed.

Don’t expect a few hundred fans who donate very little to stop the Football Team from trying to compete with the big boys. The yellow lot is right next to the practice fields. The building should go in a spot that is most convenient to the program not some old guys who donate squat collectively and shit on everything the school does.

I don't believe the entire Yellow lot will be lost. Possibly 25 percent, part of which will be a paved lot that could be used on game day?
People that go early, love to tailgate and make yellow lot what it is will be fine.
The people that come late and just walk in may get bumped to another lot.
Some may need to up their donations, we have all dealt with that before as long term fans.
The sky is not falling...yet.

Don’t expect a few hundred fans who donate very little to stop the Football Team from trying to compete with the big boys. The yellow lot is right next to the practice fields. The building should go in a spot that is most convenient to the program not some old guys who donate squat collectively and shit on everything the school does.
One thing and this is more true than not…it’s not just”old guys”… sure some are older fans but most are not.

What I don't understand is why RU is giving yellow passes to players of other RU teams or cheerleaders? I watched at least 6 cars of students in RU gear who parked and walked in to the stadium...why? Has to be a better spot for them to park.

What I don't understand is why RU is giving yellow passes to players of other RU teams or cheerleaders? I watched at least 6 cars of students in RU gear who parked and walked into the stadium...why? Has to be a better spot for them to park.
Because there is room at the inn.

If it was really filled, they would be somewhere else.

The plans are new / most recent.

And I agree with you that it's a boondoggle. We've heard repeatedly that the recruiting focus on facilities is no longer what it was, that recruits are now focused on $$.

It seems that RU is always a step behind.

The cynic in me says that this is a lot (or all) on Greg - this is his last hurrah and he wants to build this massive, insane facility as a monument to himself.
not to mention how WONDERFUL and FANTASTIC Rutgers Game day operations has historically been. Can't wait until they try and shuttle even greater numbers of cars and fans in/out of the area.

My days are numbered too and frankly they're gonna 'Rutgers" anyway.
Fans-smans. History and tradition has really never mattered. If it weren't for our own insurrection the cannon would have been gone.

Reactions: RU4Real
What I don't understand is why RU is giving yellow passes to players of other RU teams or cheerleaders? I watched at least 6 cars of students in RU gear who parked and walked in to the stadium...why? Has to be a better spot for them to park.
My guess is because none of the close in lots sold out anyway. They had plenty of passes to give away and sell on SH/The Geek.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT