ADVERTISEMENT

New Mexico Fan

WesHender2386

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2016
Hi guys!

Just wanted to reach out. A friend and I are flying up for the game. Im coming up form Houston via Orlando vacation before I fly to NJ. LouisT is flying in from Albuquerque. We have traveled to at least one game together each year. BYU, CSU, Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Air Force, Wyoming, UTEP, Arizona and many more.

Im looking forward to making new memories and have a great time. Looking for any feedback on what to do or see on game day before and after. Thanks again, look forward to meeting you guys!

greasetrucks21.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=fat...KHfBXBgUQ_AUIBigB&dpr=2#imgrc=EqWj4-MNWosJwM:

Wes,
Rutgers is very close to the Atlantic Ocean. Some of the closest areas are Sandy Hook and Point Pleasant,but if you don't mind a driving a bit farther, Island Beach State Park is beautiful. I have taken people there from outside New Jersey and they can't believe how nice it is. Acouple helpful tourism websites are www.gocentraljersey.com and www.visitnj.org. Enjoy your trip.

First, and foremost go to NEW YORK CITY! The best city in the world, everything else is gravy. And, don't waste too much time in Orlando.

First of all, have a great trip.

It would be helpful to know how long you'll be in the area, what you enjoy when visiting other schools, and age range of your group. This way people can tailor their answers to what you are looking for.

Hi guys!

Just wanted to reach out. A friend and I are flying up for the game. Im coming up form Houston via Orlando vacation before I fly to NJ. LouisT is flying in from Albuquerque. We have traveled to at least one game together each year. BYU, CSU, Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Air Force, Wyoming, UTEP, Arizona and many more.

Im looking forward to making new memories and have a great time. Looking for any feedback on what to do or see on game day before and after. Thanks again, look forward to meeting you guys!

Click here:
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/game-day-and-travel-advice-for-visiting-fans.101543/

Definitely do Them going and the beach. You might even see some trees rather than cactus

Parts of the Shore shuts down after Labor Day but Mid September can still be good.

Problem is driving back to hotel up near RU after a night of club hopping. It's 25-30 miles and not a smart idea. Cab would cost you a fortune.

Hi guys!

Who were you a fan of before Mexico?

We are two UNM graduates in our early 30's We get in Thursday night there till Sunday. We have been to NYC and Philly before. We where thinking a trip to
Yuengling Brewery.

If you like breweries, there are a bunch in the area (as well as brew pubs). Weyerbacher is a closer trip from Rutgers/NYC than Yuengling is - but there are a ton in Northern/Central NJ and Eastern PA.

I live an hour from Yuengling, it's a cool place, but kinda in the middle of nowhere.. I would probably suggest going to the beach or taking a doing something actually in NJ

Reactions: eceres
If you're going all the way out to Yuengling, I'd just as soon go to Troegs in Hershey. Great place, fantastic beer, and good food. There's also more to do in Hershey to make a day of it. Either way, that's a long day trip from NNJ.

Some of the popular NJ breweries would be good trips, and much less driving. https://newjerseycraftbeer.com/new-jersey-breweries/

Other ideas: you could head up to apple country Orange County, NY and hit a bunch of the hard cider mills, or tour the bourbon distilleries in Brooklyn.

We are two UNM graduates in our early 30's We get in Thursday night there till Sunday. We have been to NYC and Philly before. We where thinking a trip to
Yuengling Brewery.

1383302_10153368081165788_65685190_n.jpg
If you are in your 30's, Asbury Park, NJ is a good choice. There is a brand new hotel called The Asbury open in the middle of the entertainment area down by the beach/boardwalk. Asbury Park is about 45 minutes from the Rutgers campus.
http://www.theasburyhotel.com/

Asbury Park is where Bruce Springsteen and numerous other musicians got their start. The Stone Pony is located in Asbury Park.
http://stoneponyonline.com/

There are several brew pubs/breweries in the area:
Asbury Park Brewery Asbury Park | Monmouth County
Beach Haus Brewery Belmar | Monmouth County
Carton Brewing Atlantic Highlands | Monmouth County
Dark City Brewing Company Asbury Park | Monmouth County

There are many, many bars/pubs in and around Cookman Ave and The Boardwalk.
One you will probably enjoy a lot is the Asbury Festhalle and Biergarten:
http://www.asburybiergarten.com/

There is an alternative music festival scheduled for the weekend of the New Mexico game.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Love the Festhalle in Asbury... should be a great time of year for the deck too

If you are in your 30's, Asbury Park, NJ is a good choice. There is a brand new hotel called The Asbury open in the middle of the entertainment area down by the beach/boardwalk. Asbury Park is about 45 minutes from the Rutgers campus.
http://www.theasburyhotel.com/

Asbury Park is where Bruce Springsteen and numerous other musicians got their start. The Stone Pony is located in Asbury Park.
http://stoneponyonline.com/

There are several brew pubs/breweries in the area:
Asbury Park Brewery Asbury Park | Monmouth County
Beach Haus Brewery Belmar | Monmouth County
Carton Brewing Atlantic Highlands | Monmouth County
Dark City Brewing Company Asbury Park | Monmouth County

There are many, many bars/pubs in and around Cookman Ave and The Boardwalk.
One you will probably enjoy a lot is the Asbury Festhalle and Biergarten:
http://www.asburybiergarten.com/

There is an alternative music festival scheduled for the weekend of the New Mexico game.
I agree with Knight Shift. I live in AP and will volunteer to bar hop with you guys. You can send me a pm if interested. September is the best month at the Jersey Shore. You can also stay in Long Branch at Ocean Place and it will be an easy 30 min drive to the game.

Welcome! Read those threads, lots of good information there.

After you come to Rutgers you can say that you been to the place where College Football started. That has to be worth something. Check out the tailgate scene, try a fat sandwich if you dare, and enjoy yourselves!

I agree with Knight Shift. I live in AP and will volunteer to bar hop with you guys. You can send me a pm if interested. September is the best month at the Jersey Shore. You can also stay in Long Branch at Ocean Place and it will be an easy 30 min drive to the game.

Lots of threads recommending trips to the shore for visiting fans but none ever seem to mention L:ong Branch as a destination. Pier Village would impress an out of towner and will still be open after Labor Day. Can Uber into Asbury Park for the evening and like it says above, easy trip to Rutgers from there.

Yuengling Brewery.

My son just did that tour last week. He is a beer hound and hits breweries all over the country when he can. He was impressed with this one as many of the smaller breweries don't have much to see. The prohibition history of Yuengling was particularly interesting. Pottsville, PA is a bit more than 90 minutes from RU, and other than a Cabela's store there isn't much out that way. Enjoy the trip...hate the game!

Lots of threads recommending trips to the shore for visiting fans but none ever seem to mention L:eek:ng Branch as a destination. Pier Village would impress an out of towner and will still be open after Labor Day. Can Uber into Asbury Park for the evening and like it says above, easy trip to Rutgers from there.
This is also sound advice.

Lots of threads recommending trips to the shore for visiting fans but none ever seem to mention L:eek:ng Branch as a destination. Pier Village would impress an out of towner and will still be open after Labor Day. Can Uber into Asbury Park for the evening and like it says above, easy trip to Rutgers from there.
Pier Village in Long Branch, IMO, has a very stale, boring, corporate feel to it. Plus, where are the fun bars for guys in their 30's?
Asbury Park has:
1. Biergarten/Festhalle
2. Brickwall
3. Stone Pony
4. Wonder Bar
5. Porta
6. Bars in the The Asbury hotel
7. Johnny Macs
8. Asbury Park Yacht Club
9. House of Independents
10. Paradise (if you like gay dance clubs)
11. Anchor's Bend right on the beach.
12. The Beach Bar
13. Watermark
14. Asbury Ale House

To me, it's not even close. Long Branch would be fine for an older group that is not looking for a bar scene.

Good article ranking all 39 Asbury Park Bars.:
http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/05/all_39_asbury_park_bars_ranked.html

My point wasn't so much to compare to Asbury (I did suggest Asbury for the night life) but rather to suggest Long Branch as opposed to a Point Pleasant which has less attraction after Labor Day for a couple of young guys than either LN or AP.

Sorry about that- just not a huge fan of Pier Village area. Long Branch has a nice beach and the hotel on the Oceanfront is a great place to stay to hit the beach. The Asbury hotel is a couple of blocks from the beach.

Sorry about that- just not a huge fan of Pier Village area. Long Branch has a nice beach and the hotel on the Oceanfront is a great place to stay to hit the beach. The Asbury hotel is a couple of blocks from the beach.
Living in AP I still tell folks from out of town to stay at Ocean Place which is better than the Berkley or Empress room wise. Cannot comment on Asbury hotel as I have not been there yet. For people like these it is a little easier to get to HPPS from Long Branch but they should be fine either way. AP has the better bars and dining spots.

Living in AP I still tell folks from out of town to stay at Ocean Place which is better than the Berkley or Empress room wise. Cannot comment on Asbury hotel as I have not been there yet. For people like these it is a little easier to get to HPPS from Long Branch but they should be fine either way. AP has the better bars and dining spots.
The Asbury hotel bars definitely have a high end feel to them. We walked through there one Saturday night, and there were Maserati's and high end Benz', BMWs and Audis parked out front. Did not make it to the rooftop bar, but I heard it is magnificent.

Im 24, Asbury is your move for something close. A ton of good venues, also Long Branch as others indicated.

We'll help you if you post pix of you on the tram. I was on it years ago since my former MIL lived in Sandia Heights and we took it to the restaurant at the top. Also, I'm flying up for the game and will also be leaving out of Orlando, but am coming up Tuesday or Wednesday.

If you are looking for a craft beer journey you need to hit Philly for one day. It is the craft beer capital of the East Coast. I would recommend going to Monk's Cafe, a bonanza of Belgian style beer, Brauhaus Schmidt's for authentic German food and German beer list as thick as a book.

Also visit Tired Hands Brewery in the Main Line in Ardmore. It has a cult following especially on its canning days where people wait for hours to get their cans. Hope you enjoy your time here on the East Coast except for 3 hours on Saturday afternoon lol.

Pier Village in Long Branch, IMO, has a very stale, boring, corporate feel to it. Plus, where are the fun bars for guys in their 30's?
Asbury Park has:
1. Biergarten/Festhalle
2. Brickwall
3. Stone Pony
4. Wonder Bar
5. Porta
6. Bars in the The Asbury hotel
7. Johnny Macs
8. Asbury Park Yacht Club
9. House of Independents
10. Paradise (if you like gay dance clubs)
11. Anchor's Bend right on the beach.
12. The Beach Bar
13. Watermark
14. Asbury Ale House

To me, it's not even close. Long Branch would be fine for an older group that is not looking for a bar scene.

Good article ranking all 39 Asbury Park Bars.:
http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/05/all_39_asbury_park_bars_ranked.html

I agree with Asbury Park, lots of good/fun bars all within walking distance of each other.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT