ADVERTISEMENT

New name for Coach

ScarletteK80

Heisman Winner
Mar 4, 2003
Haven't seen her mentioned(I was away for 4+ weeks with broken ribs, and several vertebrae cracked) so I have been trying to catch up on this board. How about Carolyn Peck? She has it all including a national title with Purdue. Isn't coaching, just doing TV. I'll post some info bout her.

Haven't seen her mentioned(I was away for 4+ weeks with broken ribs, and several vertebrae cracked) so I have been trying to catch up on this board. How about Carolyn Peck? She has it all including a national title with Purdue. Isn't coaching, just doing TV. I'll post some info bout her.
That would be a big get… But I would imagine it’s hard to give up such a sweet gig such as television for the grind of coaching and recruiting

So happens she is on right now. Phoenix vs Vegas game on CBSSports. Doing the color.

You got it... I know you're a great fan of this program. You deserve to enjoy some happiness, even if it's dreaming about an amazing hire.

• Love
Reactions: ScarletteK80
This earns another "oh my word". She was unsuccessful at Florida. She recently worked as an Assistant at Vanderbilt and bailed. During her time there, they were awful.

She coached 2 years at Purdue with her predecessors players, for the most part. They were great years. She failed in the W as well.

The plus side is that interest she would generate for the program, but her success as a coach is very unknown.

I'm a big fan of Carolyn Peck also. She did an excellent job with Purdue after Fortner left. The team continued to get better each season up to winning the title.

She seemed to have short stays wherever she took a job, with one exception. She seems to love what she is doing now and appears to be snug as a bug in a rug.

Don't know what happened at U of Florida, but just looking at the record season to season, seems like they pulled the plug on her pretty quick. Wonder what caused the rough last season she had there.

Also, thought of another name to consider. She has proven that she can coach. Maybe she'd have more sustained success here at RU because of the strong WBB tradition and everything else we have to offer at this time................Coquese Washington.

If names are just being thrown out there since we have only had 13 months to look for one and can’t get anybody from a major school,heck, how about Kim Stephens who just won a National Championship. Have no idea if she can recruit New Jersey or if she has even been to New Jersey. I have been a very big Pat Hobbs fan, but today is May 18.

No to Coquese. She had a few good seasons at Penn State, but her last few years were not good.
Understandable. I don't think you have to worry about her getting the job. She probably wants to continue honoring the commitment she made to help her ND family member, Nielle Ivey, as her asst..

I just look at those good seasons at PSU as proof that she can get it done. She was at Penn State. Not the most attractive school for student-athletes in the years since the JS/Paterno scandal. Seemed like she couldn't maintain the necessary level of talent there.

I do remember her last few meetings against RU, she was depending on her star player who had been fighting back from multiple knee surgeries. They simply didn't have enough talent at that point.

Overall, ...I think certain names who have been around the game for a number of years, all the while connected to top programs, deserve more than one shot at a head coaching spot. The Jolette's and Coquese's are absolutely worthy.

This earns another "oh my word". She was unsuccessful at Florida. She recently worked as an Assistant at Vanderbilt and bailed. During her time there, they were awful.

She coached 2 years at Purdue with her predecessors players, for the most part. They were great years. She failed in the W as well.

The plus side is that interest she would generate for the program, but her success as a coach is very unknown.
Her Florida gig is what makes me think Peck would be a B list candidate, someone who would be a good fallback option ( because of success at Purdue, but not so good at Florida) if A list candidates
give the cold shoulder.
Dawn Stanly isn't an A Lister, she's out there on Fantasy Island

How about Joanie McCallie
Her tenure at Duke ended with the accusation of mistreating players leveled against her.
Her last years there seen a lot of players transfer out and in many cases the way she treated players was the suspected reason.
Had good years up to her last two years there and her last (2019-20) one wasn't all that bad (18-12 >12-6 abd #3 conference )
But she admitted to suffering from bipolar disorder and if that was the reason and being treated to control it now, she's be a good candidate to go after

Reactions: RU677381
Her tenure at Duke ended with the accusation of mistreating players leveled against her.
Her last years there seen a lot of players transfer out and in many cases the way she treated players was the suspected reason.
Had good years up to her last two years there and her last (2019-20) one wasn't all that bad (18-12 >12-6 abd #3 conference )
But she admitted to suffering from bipolar disorder and if that was the reason and being treated to control it now, she's be a good candidate to go after
at this point we have nothing to lose. She certainly, in terms of coaching skills, would be near the top of the remaining candidates.

SIAP. Would/could/should/has someone like Dawn Karpell @ St. John Vianney be considered? I think Mary Coyle didn't seem to get much support here. I realize it's a quantum jump for a HS coach but....

Last edited:
Reactions: Section103
at this point we have nothing to lose. She certainly, in terms of coaching skills, would be near the top of the remaining candidates.
Hobbs more than likely will have to take a gamble and McCallie will be exactly that because of her Duke ending.
With the Julie and Rice fiascos , Hobbs might not want to take the chance of the the type of publicity hiring Joanie might bring.

I'm looking for Hobbs to bring in a very successful HC from a program not considered a major player. or bring in someone who doesn't have a college coaching position now, like Peck , to replace CVS.
He's going to be very carful to keep the media at bay by not giving them a HC with skeletons in their closet.

Kristi Toliver! I just have a feeling she will be a good one. Has to be getting valuable experience during this current Dallas Maverick run as a part of Jason Kidd's staff.

The young lady at Glenville St sound worthy of a strong look. NJ HS coaches, and all the other names that are being mentioned, ....we'd be fortunate to get a high profile wbb savant like Kristi.

Also hope that Hobbs/search firm included Shereka Wright from the onset of this process. Same goes for Lindsay Harding.

Duffy from Marquette is my choice based on head coaching experience and Coach of the Year success in the Big East which is a power conference.The clock is ticking and the options are slim at this late date.

Duffy from Marquette is my choice based on head coaching experience and Coach of the Year success in the Big East which is a power conference.The clock is ticking and the options are slim at this late date.
Today is May 19

I wouldn't rule out Jolette Law. Her recruiting is unmatched. She needs some good offensive minded assistants and could hit the ground running by selling her successful stints here, Tennessee and South Carolina. A long shot but seems like the best scenario as RU is staring down the barrel right now.

Please enough with Law. She recruited for Tenn and SC which my dog could do and he has been dead for years. Bust at Illinois

I thought in another thread a poster claimed that we had a really good name all lined up that would jump at an offer to come coach here?

Please enough with Law. She recruited for Tenn and SC which my dog could do and he has been dead for years. Bust at Illinois
I would prefer to see a little more distance from any Stringer disciples. Yes she has coached at other high profile programs and may incorporate some different updated philosophies but Illinois did not go well. The longer this search goes the harder it is to remain optimistic that we are truly getting someone we want versus settling for what is possibly available.

Reactions: ho26rus and RULoyal
Frankly it would have been FAR better if Hobbs could have convinced cvs to have her one year farewell tour, get the positive press while actively looking.

I would prefer to see a little more distance from any Stringer disciples. Yes she has coached at other high profile programs and may incorporate some different updated philosophies but Illinois did not go well. The longer this search goes the harder it is to remain optimistic that we are truly getting someone we want versus settling for what is possibly available.

Never said Law was my top choice, but in this case, beggars can’t be choosers unfortunately. We are likely going to get a transition hire at this point. To me, there are worse options than Law and her Illini stint was 10+ years ago.

SIAP. Would/could/should/has someone like Dawn Karpell @ St. John Vianney be considered? I think Mary Coyle didn't seem to get much support here. I realize it's a quantum jump for a HS coach but....
I could have coached that team

I wouldn't rule out Jolette Law. Her recruiting is unmatched. She needs some good offensive minded assistants and could hit the ground running by selling her successful stints here, Tennessee and South Carolina. A long shot but seems like the best scenario as RU is staring down the barrel right now.
RU recruiting was never the same after she left.

And, who has done well at Illinois to this point? Shauna may get it turned around but even the HoF T Grentz had mixed results there. If she has a strong desire to be a HC again, I think she'd be a viable candidate.

Reactions: bac2therac
Frankly it would have been FAR better if Hobbs could have convinced cvs to have her one year farewell tour, get the positive press while actively looking.
Or, have CVS move into that administrative role since she realized she couldn't make a go of it, while Hobbs replaces Tim with Chelsea(or some other up-and-comer who may be interested in the job) to be able to gauge her(their) fit for the job while being able to look for other candidates as well. If he felt like the selected coach was the right fit, he could lock it in with a longer term contract.

Chelsea(or any other young coaching prospect of her profile level) probably could have kept our roster in tact and may have brought in other pieces from the portal so that we could look forward to a strong upcoming season.

A win/win situation, IMO.

Or, have CVS move into that administrative role since she realized she couldn't make a go of it, while Hobbs replaces Tim with Chelsea(or some other up-and-comer who may be interested in the job) to be able to gauge her(their) fit for the job while being able to look for other candidates as well. If he felt like the selected coach was the right fit, he could lock it in with a longer term contract.

Chelsea(or any other young coaching prospect of her profile level) probably could have kept our roster in tact and may have brought in other pieces from the portal so that we could look forward to a strong upcoming season.

A win/win situation, IMO.
Coulda…shoulda…woulda…sadly that train left the building and derailed while going over a rickety bridge…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT