ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Suriano Status

Yeah suriano could actually help out psu by taking away pts from osu, Ohio st etc who arguably have stronger 125/33 then PSU's.. hence Suriano would influence the outcome in ur favor most likely.. make sense ?? So Cael, do the right thing and help the student athlete over ur ego
Or, he could end up on the same side of the bracket as the PSU guy, who could score a few points. Did Rutgers have an ego when they didn't let Tom Savage go unconditionally?

Or, he could end up on the same side of the bracket as the PSU guy, who could score a few points. Did Rutgers have an ego when they didn't let Tom Savage go unconditionally?

Give me a break. This was dumb the first time it was said, and its dumb now. Its not apples to apples. Not at all.

Even if he ran into Cortez/psu guy earlier in bracket he can still help u guys ,team score wise, by taking out tomasello/piccinnini/etc later and seal the team championship for psu... hence y I said it most likely would favor u if Suriano got to wrestle this year. Make sense?

ZING! This would hurt worse if we weren't 5th in total attendance, and growing every year. The RAC also holds 8,000 compared to 6,500 for Rec Hall.

If Rutgers has more football stadium matches, they might climb even higher in the attendance standings - or do you not consider those events to be somewhat distorting when looking at average attendance? Frankly, % of capacity should be the governing stat when considering attendance. Rutgers averaged far less than capacity even with the match against Princeton counted. For example, Iowa regularly wrestles with Carver less than 1/2 full, yet leads the nation in attendance. Penn State, otoh, has a waiting list for season tickets.

. Did Rutgers have an ego when they didn't let Tom Savage go unconditionally?

If you had any idea of why Savage was denied certain schools you would understand that Schiano saved Savage from being ruled ineligible by the NCAA, since Savage's Dad personally reached out to numerous schools, while Tom was still on scholarship at RU & still playing for RU, trying to find a school for Tom to transfer to. The schools that were contacted by Papa Savage contacted Schiano since they had no interest in being in violation of NCAA transfer rules. NCAA was never notified & Savage was allowed to transfer to any school that had not been contacted by the father.

Rosario visited Florida, knowing the restrictions, signed with them, and then Pernetti said, "Yep, sure, we'll release him to go there." How wonderful of him.

If you had any idea of why Savage was denied certain schools you would understand that Schiano saved Savage from being ruled ineligible by the NCAA, since Savage's Dad personally reached out to numerous schools, while Tom was still on scholarship at RU & still playing for RU, trying to find a school for Tom to transfer to. The schools that were contacted by Papa Savage contacted Schiano since they had no interest in being in violation of NCAA transfer rules. NCAA was never notified & Savage was allowed to transfer to any school that had not been contacted by the father.
Wait, there was early contact between Savages Dad and coaches? But, that's against the rules, and certainly couldn't have happened in the NS situation.

Nick is open to transfer to Rutgers and will be subject to that school's policies (conference or otherwise) on transfer and eligibility status. We support and work within the Big Ten policy."

Translated, it appears the Big Ten, and not Penn State, is standing in the way of Suriano wrestling for the Scarlet Knights during the 2017-2018 season. The original report suggested otherwise, but either way, the matter now appears to be solved, at least as far as PSU is concerned.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/08/penn_state_statement_says_it_g.html

Last edited:
Cabbagehead
You assumption is spot on. RU will or did petition for a waiver of the loss of the 1 year to the special Big Ten committee who will vote on it. They will contact PSU and as CS and ask if they support the waiver. CS has told us he will say NO. Committee votes. Result--probably denied. Good night!

Cabbagehead
You assumption is spot on. RU will or did petition for a waiver of the loss of the 1 year to the special Big Ten committee who will vote on it. They will contact PSU and as CS and ask if they support the waiver. CS has told us he will say NO. Committee votes. Result--probably denied. Good night!

Sucks to have to follow the same rules as everyone else, I guess.

Reactions: Creek Side
We are following the rules just like everyone else. We are petitioning the B1G for the waiver just like everyone else would. What sucks is your coach being a vindictive prick. This is a Tom Brands move plain and simple and your coach just stooped to that dick's level.

Reactions: TRU2RU
We are following the rules just like everyone else. We are petitioning the B1G for the waiver just like everyone else would. What sucks is your coach being a vindictive prick. This is a Tom Brands move plain and simple and your coach just stooped to that dick's level.

You sound like a two-year old who didn't get his way. If true, it may have something to do with what Suriano presented as his "case". Did you ever think of that? Did Cortez, in fact, petition for a waiver? If not, your "just like everyone else would" statement rings a little false.

Penn State just issued the following statement to Roar Lions Roar:

"Nick Suriano recently requested a release so that he could transfer to Rutgers. We granted this release. Subject to Big Ten policy, any intra-conference transfer is required to sit for one year before they are again eligible to participate. Nick is open to transfer to Rutgers and will be subject to that school's policies (conference or otherwise) on transfer and eligibility status. We support and work within the Big Ten policy."

https://www.roarlionsroar.com/penn-.../nick-suriano-transfer-rutgers-cael-sanderson

If Rutgers has more football stadium matches, they might climb even higher in the attendance standings - or do you not consider those events to be somewhat distorting when looking at average attendance? Frankly, % of capacity should be the governing stat when considering attendance. Rutgers averaged far less than capacity even with the match against Princeton counted. For example, Iowa regularly wrestles with Carver less than 1/2 full, yet leads the nation in attendance. Penn State, otoh, has a waiting list for season tickets.

So stadium match attendance doesn't count to Matter? Okay, fair enough. I don't count attendance within Bryce Jordan for you guys. Because I say so.

As to the rest of your post, I have no idea what you are smoking. Apparently you want to base attendance figures on % capacity becasue then PSU would be first. Hooray for you. You should march right back to BWI, where that clever notion will be popular.

Of course, everyone else will realize thats literally the most idiotic thing imaginable. Maybe we could beat you guys....We'll wrestle in a common area at one of the dorms, with two chairs in the corner. Then let in 100 people standing room only day of the event. Boom....Rutgers is tops for attendance this year at 1000% capacity.

You sound like a two-year old who didn't get his way. If true, it may have something to do with what Suriano presented as his "case". Did you ever think of that? Did Cortez, in fact, petition for a waiver? If not, your "just like everyone else would" statement rings a little false.
Why the hell would I care what Cortez did? And if he didn't at least try to get his competition year restored then both your coach and him are idiots. Why not try? Does it cost you anything? Sorry, but your coach is in the wrong here. I'm going to release you, but I'm not going to endorse the waiver. I'm going to penalized you from going where you want because I don't want you to go there. You made a mistake as a 16 yr. old and I'm going to punish you for it. Who's acting like the two year old?

Reactions: TRU2RU
Penn State just issued the following statement to Roar Lions Roar:

"Nick Suriano recently requested a release so that he could transfer to Rutgers. We granted this release. Subject to Big Ten policy, any intra-conference transfer is required to sit for one year before they are again eligible to participate. Nick is open to transfer to Rutgers and will be subject to that school's policies (conference or otherwise) on transfer and eligibility status. We support and work within the Big Ten policy."

https://www.roarlionsroar.com/penn-.../nick-suriano-transfer-rutgers-cael-sanderson
Sounds like the same policy Penn State followed when they got a transfer from Illinois last year. Can't see why Penn St and Cael are being criticized. Rutgers got a good wrestler. Penn State is dealing with a top kid leaving after 1 year, which is unusual.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
200.gif

Its not the same. Its customary, especially in football, to not give a release to teams on your schedule while that athlete will still be in school. Team sports have play books.
I see how it works. No matter what example I come up with, the answer will be, "It's not the saaaaame." Okay.
You know what is the same? The process by which an athlete appeals to the B1G for a waiver of the transfer rule. It's the same for Cortez, for Micic and for Suriano and for everyone else.

I see how it works. No matter what example I come up with, the answer will be, "It's not the saaaaame." Okay.
You know what is the same? The process by which an athlete appeals to the B1G for a waiver of the transfer rule. It's the same for Cortez, for Micic and for Suriano and for everyone else.

Umm. What? Literally any individual sport example would be comparable. Are you seriously saying its not customary in football to deny release to teams on the schedule? We all know it is.

I agree with you, it is the same for Cortez, Micic and Suriano. Sooo....wait...was there a point?

This is all such a stupid waste of time. The waiver isn't gonna get granted (especially without Cael's support), and Suriano isn't coming to RU. I will enjoy when the next target school is leaked, and all you idiots go there and harass those people with your never ending ruminations about this very simple concept. Having dealt with the 3 of you today, I can see why the BWI thread is so long. You guys are like the energizer bunny of beating a dead horse.

So CS granted the release to Rutgers but he does not want the B1G to grant him a waiver to the rule requiring him to lose a year of eligibility. The release without the waiver probably isn't worth much.

No one ever said we didn't have to follow the same rules as anyone else. It just would have been classy if Cael would have supported what Nick wanted to do. Instead, he chose not to support it. That's his right, obviously. The Big Ten committee will make its decision, one way or another, and this will all be behind us soon enough. Hang in there.

On the brighter side, the next time this comes up....with some other wrestler, you guys will be able to draw on all of the information you have expanded upon from this summer. When that day comes be careful, though, or else you may literally talk yourselves to death.

Umm. What? Literally any individual sport example would be comparable. Are you seriously saying its not customary in football to deny release to teams on the schedule? We all know it is.

I agree with you, it is the same for Cortez, Micic and Suriano. Sooo....wait...was there a point?

This is all such a stupid waste of time. The waiver isn't gonna get granted (especially without Cael's support), and Suriano isn't coming to RU. I will enjoy when the next target school is leaked, and all you idiots go there and harass those people with your never ending ruminations about this very simple concept. Having dealt with the 3 of you today, I can see why the BWI thread is so long. You guys are like the energizer bunny of beating a dead horse.
Is it customary for coaches in individual sports to plead the transferring athlete's case for them? No, let's leave out the hyperbole. Is it customary for coaches in individual sports to support the transferring athlete's waiver petition to the B1G? If customary is good enough for those sports, then it should be good enough here.
By the way, I'll bet Nick still comes to RU, but with two years of eligibility.
Also, the BWI thread is so long, because pages of it have been taken up with discussions on Iceland, other vacations spots and food. Also, I would guess the number of fans is significantly higher.

Is it customary for coaches in individual sports to plead the transferring athlete's case for them? No, let's leave out the hyperbole. Is it customary for coaches in individual sports to support the transferring athlete's waiver petition to the B1G? If customary is good enough for those sports, then it should be good enough here.

I don't know what is customary or not with regard to individual athletes on intra-B1G transfers, but agree, knowing that custom would help us to pass a fair judgment on Cael for this.

I don't know what is customary or not with regard to individual athletes on intra-B1G transfers, but agree, knowing that custom would help us to pass a fair judgment on Cael for this.
Oh, it's too late for that. Judgement has already been passed. As if we didn't already know that outcome. [eyeroll]

If Rutgers really cared about Suraino they could just withdraw from the conference and he would be eligible immediately. That would teach Cael and the conference a lesson.

I do believe in personal accountability. for instance, if I saw a kid getting raped in the shower I would scream on the highest mountain until the perp was dealt with. I understand that there is a big difference in the way the term personal accountability is defined at each University though.

Oh a nerve was struck! Lol

Why the hell would I care what Cortez did? And if he didn't at least try to get his competition year restored then both your coach and him are idiots. Why not try? Does it cost you anything? Sorry, but your coach is in the wrong here. I'm going to release you, but I'm not going to endorse the waiver. I'm going to penalized you from going where you want because I don't want you to go there. You made a mistake as a 16 yr. old and I'm going to punish you for it. Who's acting like the two year old?

For an idiot, Cael has done pretty well as a wrestler and a coach. Nine out of 11 years in the top 5 at nationals and 6 'ships in that time. Definitely a dolt. And, yes, it costs you resources and credibility.

You don't know what Suriano claimed as grounds for his waiver, do you? Has he already applied for it? Penn State has given Nick his release but that's not enough for you. I posited this a long time ago - any grounds Suriano is giving for a waiver stands a fair chance of being either insufficient or fabricated. We're all in the dark here because Suriano has not been transparent. If insufficient, Penn State's "backing" the waiver truly makes them look stupid and/or creates a bad precedent. If fabricated, you want Penn State to, in essence, tacitly collude to acquire a waiver for Suriano. That is not happening under Cael. It also is setting a very bad precedent.

You want Cael to help Suriano evade the consequences of his actions and when he doesn't do enough in your mind, you get angry. Slow the entitlement train, please. Not helping someone avoid the consequences of their freely-made decisions makes a person immature in your mind?

Reactions: ruready07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT