ADVERTISEMENT

NIT - Is it possible and would we host?

jaydogsmooth1

Senior
Jul 28, 2021
Also, if no NIT, would Pike accept one of the lesser tourney's to get the kids experience and reward the seniors?

On hosting the top 2 net from each power 6 will be asked to hosts. Its likely Rutgers will not be in the top 2 big 10 net. So assuming all schools accept 12 of the 16 schools hosting first rounds are taken care of leaving just 4 spots open to host.

On hosting the top 2 net from each power 6 will be asked to hosts. Its likely Rutgers will not be in the top 2 big 10 net. So assuming all schools accept 12 of the 16 schools hosting first rounds are taken care of leaving just 4 spots open to host.
Which, given our track record of solid attendance and rocking atmospheres in that tournament I assume we should be up there, correct??

Team showed no desire in the NIT last year. Last week vs Maryland this team showed no intererst in playing. Last night the team played well together with a purpose. 3 games to go and I still haven't figured this team out.

I care

I would think anyone still posting on this message board after 30 years of not making the NCAA’s would Care
. . .
One of things that dampens excitement about an NIT invitation this year is the seeming lack of enthusiasm by the RU players themselves in last year's opening (and closing) round of the NIT in that horrific loss to Hofstra. Now, given that there is no expectation whatsoever this year that RU will make the NCAAs, maybe the team and with it the fanbase will have more interest in the NIT.

One of things that dampens excitement about an NIT invitation this year is the seeming lack of enthusiasm by the RU players themselves in last year's opening (and closing) round of the NIT in that horrific loss to Hofstra. Now, given that there is no expectation whatsoever this year that RU will make the NCAAs, maybe the team and with it the fanbase will have more interest in the NIT.
💯 last year the team was one of the best in the B1G then crumbled down the stretch and missed the tournament when they were a near unanimous selection on bracket matrix. It was an epic letdown

This season we got a 2nd wind so to speak with JWill and the team has trended up

My understanding is we need to finish 2-1 to have a shot at the NIT. If we do make it I'd be pretty surprised if we hosted...

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Personally, I'm glad to see other human beings hoping their team gets into the NIT, which is where I am with my favorite team. I know it's the so-called "Loser's Tournament," but it's better than nothing. I always watch my team play in the NIT when that's where they end up.

Now those other ones, CBI or whatever, that's a different story. I doubt Maryland would ever do that, but I probably would not be very receptive to that...

Last week vs Maryland this team showed no intererst in playing. Last night the team played well together with a purpose. 3 games to go and I still haven't figured this team out.
When they win it's because they are "playing together" but when they lose it's only because "they have no interest" ? It has nothing to do with the other team?

Last edited:
Reactions: Local Shill
When they win it's because they are "playing together" but when they lose it's only because "they have no interest" ? It has nothing to do with the other team?
Emotions are a huge part of sports. The team was very clearly deflating from the biggest snub in tournament history. Literally per bracket matrix

Team showed no desire in the NIT last year. Last week vs Maryland this team showed no intererst in playing. Last night the team played well together with a purpose. 3 games to go and I still haven't figured this team out.
I don't think I've ever seen a program/team more up and down over the years than Pike's.

Emotions are a huge part of sports. The team was very clearly deflating from the biggest snub in tournament history. Literally per bracket matrix
Okay, fair point if we're talking about last year's NIT game. I agree with that. They thought there was a chance of getting into the NCAA, so it was a huge disappointment that surely affected how they played.

I was thinking more about the other part of what I quoted -- they got blown away on Sunday only because they were disinterested, but suddenly when they were interested they are a great team last night.

I really need to take a break from message boards for a while (but I probably won't). We're all homers, I get it, and I should hold my tongue when I'm on an "away" board.

Good luck to Rutgers, as always...

Okay, fair point if we're talking about last year's NIT game. I agree with that. They thought there was a chance of getting into the NCAA, so it was a huge disappointment that surely affected how they played.

I was thinking more about the other part of what I quoted -- they got blown away on Sunday only because they were disinterested, but suddenly when they were interested they are a great team last night.

I really need to take a break from message boards for a while (but I probably won't). We're all homers, I get it, and I should hold my tongue when I'm on an "away" board.

Good luck to Rutgers, as always...
As a non Rurgers fan I don't expect you to know or remember but it wasn't just a chance. We were on something like 98% of brackets submitted to bracket matrix by experts. The most ever to not make it. The consensus was we were in and the argument was if we were in the 1st 4 or not. It was a brutal blindside

As a non Rutgers fan I don't expect you to know or remember but it wasn't just a chance. We were on something like 98% of brackets submitted to bracket matrix by experts. The most ever to not make it. The consensus was we were in and the argument was if we were in the 1st 4 or not. It was a brutal blindside
I know Pro RU people like to point to the OSU game and say the committee should have considered that a win. And Anti RU people point to the record without Mag. But to me, the single biggest problem was Jamison Battle. We had Minnesota beaten and with an assist from Aundre Hyatt, Jamison Battle decided to go unconscious and sink prayer after prayer. That loss crushed us.

• Sad
Reactions: wheezer and Scangg
There are two ways to go when you’ve been kicked in the nuts like last year’s team on selection Sunday. One is to prove you belonged and make every effort to win the NIT. The other is to quit and feel sorry for yourself. We chose the latter.

• Sad
Reactions: Scangg
Hey-
We can still win the B1G tournament and get an auto-bid.
I’m saying “there’s still a chance”😊
There's also still a chance to be in the NCAA tourney without winning the league tourney. If we win out, then advance to the B1G semifinals, we'll be going to the Big Dance. They wouldn't keep us out with a 20-14 record.

BTW, I am the ultimate optimist.

I care

I would think anyone still posting on this message board after 30 years of not making the NCAA’s would Care

At a minimum, having additional basketball to see if the rac is reason to care

Win it and go into the offseason with some momentum. More RU basketball is a good thing.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
There are two ways to go when you’ve been kicked in the nuts like last year’s team on selection Sunday. One is to prove you belonged and make every effort to win the NIT. The other is to quit and feel sorry for yourself. We chose the latter.
Hofstra made some wild shots and got a few fortuitous bounces at the end of regulation and in OT. Yes, it was a brutal loss. But we didn't mail that game in. They played well, kept it close, and then got the breaks.

Hofstra made some wild shots and got a few fortuitous bounces at the end of regulation and in OT. Yes, it was a brutal loss. But we didn't mail that game in. They played well, kept it close, and then got the breaks.
Well said!

It drives me nuts when people say we mailed it in. Hofstra played well and the ball bounced its way. Hofstra beat us fair and square. We played well enough to win, but came up short. At no point in the game did it look as if RU was going through the motions.

Well said!

It drives me nuts when people say we mailed it in. Hofstra played well and the ball bounced its way. Hofstra beat us fair and square. We played well enough to win, but came up short. At no point in the game did it look as if RU was going through the motions.
I think most were engaged for that game but not Cliff at all...flat footed effort, dont know if he was injured but he definitely was not full out. Everyone else though seemed engaged but a defensive team was playing at a Hofstra pace and that wasnt a good sign from the first half.

Reactions: LeapinLou
There's also still a chance to be in the NCAA tourney without winning the league tourney. If we win out, then advance to the B1G semifinals, we'll be going to the Big Dance. They wouldn't keep us out with a 20-14 record.

BTW, I am the ultimate optimist.
Committee hasn’t factored in conference tournaments in years . Why is this the year they decide to?

Reactions: bac2therac
Committee hasn’t factored in conference tournaments in years . Why is this the year they decide to?
Because it would get Rutgers to a very eye catching 20 wins. Not that 20 is guarantee, but it's attractive number to the committee, especially in the B1G. Don't you claim to know everything?

I know Pro RU people like to point to the OSU game and say the committee should have considered that a win. And Anti RU people point to the record without Mag. But to me, the single biggest problem was Jamison Battle. We had Minnesota beaten and with an assist from Aundre Hyatt, Jamison Battle decided to go unconscious and sink prayer after prayer. That loss crushed us.
But even more crushing was everybody saying go out and avenge and beat Michigan on a neutral court and you’re in.

We did just that and carpet pulled from under us. Plus that ridiculous OSU game.
Any wonder why we didn’t handle NIT well.

Reactions: ScarletDave
As opposed to last year's team, which was 1000% uninterested in that game, I'd HOPE this year's team would be THRILLED with a post-season game or two.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Totally agree, same with the Minnesota game, tips, bounces, ridiculous shots going in…
There are some things you can’t control and can’t do anything about.
Those two games were absurd

Hyatt? Lmao. You may not have liked the pass but it actually went to a Rutgers teammate. How about the 2 horrible turnovers from Mulcahy and the missed free throws by Spencer and McConnell?

Reactions: tm_nj
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT